PDA

View Full Version : Old down bag....any good?

AaronS
10-18-2010, 20:46
I have an old down bag my parents bought me for Christmas in the mid to late 80's.
I would have to think I may have washed it a time or two in the washer and dried in the dryer but I don't remember for sure..

Anyone know if this was a good quality bag??
Anyone have a guess at what its rated at??
If its worth it, what is the best way to care for it now?

Thanks for any help or info.
Aaron

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/PAyotehunter/Camping-Hiking/IMG_20101018_200901.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/PAyotehunter/Camping-Hiking/IMG_20101018_200927.jpg

leaftye
10-18-2010, 20:49
Measure the loft and weigh it to answer your first two questions.

leaftye
10-18-2010, 20:51
The tag doesn't look good though. A 20% amount of feathers is not good, and the 25 ounces of down means it's either rated really low or they're making up for poor quality down. I'd have to go with the latter. Still though, weigh it and check the loft. That's pretty much all that matters.

Sarcasm the elf
10-18-2010, 21:09
Depends what you mean by "any good," as well as what kind of camping you expect to use it for and what kind of weather you are planning on using it in.

My 3 season bag looks very similar, an 80% down/20% feathers, 20 Oz. total fill bag made by some company called Frieds. My parents bought if for me in the early 90's as a winter bag for scout trips, it's been repeatedly washed incorrectly and abused and I still use it in on nights a cold as 30F in comfort.

I would guess that your bag would hold up to similar temps. Give it a try on a night with milder weather (or in the back yard) just to be safe and see how it is. It will probably be good enough for spring and fall and if it's a keeper, then it will save you from shelling out money on a new bag.

Best of luck.

Iceaxe
10-19-2010, 02:50
Whatever you do.. Don't remove the tag! Says it's against the law!
Hey, I have a 0 degree bag from Western Mountaineering. It has been washed wrong. The nylon is partially singed and permanently crinkled from drying it way to close to fire.. multiple times. That dang bag is still warm as hell on my winter snow trips! You might find out the same is true for your bag. Ditto what others said. perhaps measuring the free loft and comparing to other bags specs or using the fomula online would give you a ball park rating.
Also,
It has to be cool cause it says "Raineer" on it.:cool:

Iceaxe
10-19-2010, 02:58
Here is one mans interpretation of temperature rating.. HeHe this is sure to cause an "argument". Hey, check out the date. This info might be as old as your bag. Anyhow you can find all kinds of opinions online regarding loft and rating. personally I think everyone is different. Some of my friends sleep under a chunk of tyvek or use a single space Blanket.. Uh AVO.. E-Blanket are you reading this?

"Based on my many years of experience in the outerwear and sleeping bag areas of the textile business I have learned a great deal from those who preceeded me. I consider Gerry Cunningham who owned Gerry Outdoor Products to be my mentor. I also consider him to be the "father" of the camping industry. In a booklet he wrote and published in 1971 he states the following;
INSULATION NEEDED FOR SLEEPING
50 DEGREES F---1 1/4 INCHES
40 DEGREES F---1 1/2 INCHES
0 DEGREES F---2 1/2 INCHES
These figures represent the top layer of the bag, and the insulation is down. He does not state the down fill capacity, however I would guess the quality used at the time was 550/650 down. Gerry does use my Nautilus and has used it for 15 years on his boat."

springerfever
10-19-2010, 05:35
Even if its not the lightest or warmest, don't discard it. An older bag like this is perfect for around the house or in your car. A down bag is so much warmer and lighter than a regular blanket and you can cut your thermostat down a degree or two. Give it a good wash at a commercial laundromat using Graingers or Nikwax down cleaner and feed a couple of bucks into one of those big commercial dryers (not too hot!!) then air out in the sun for a few hours. Throw it next to your favorite tv chair..voila!!

gunner76
10-19-2010, 20:02
Just because a bag is old does not mean its no good. My wife is still using her Snow Lion bag that she has had for 35+ years.

mweinstone
10-19-2010, 22:27
umm,...this is a hermans mt rainer down bag with no wear. duh. its warm and safe and fine. duh. and will warm you to freezing temps. duh. and its comfy and durable and great. speak against this bag again and i post your deepest secret.

Toolshed
10-20-2010, 07:09
Aaron,
The bag is still good. I find that the only thing that wears out over time is the nylon shell which could degrade slightly and the weave opens a bit letting some fluff out. As for the down and feathers - measure the loft and as described and you are good to go. You might have a bit of a heavier bag due to the feather content, but for all intents and purposes the weight is negligible for the use you can expect out of it and the cost to you.
BTW, I still have my 1983 EMS Robson long -25 down bag and it still kicks a$$ in the field.

AaronS
10-20-2010, 10:48
Ok thanks for all the help, info and "duh"s...

It spent most of its life stuffed tightly in a stuff sack. I heard that was bad for them so.....
I'll check the loft and go from there.

I do have a few other bags. One is an another old (older than the one I asked about) down mummy bag that I leave at my cabin. I bought a Field & Stream MT20 bag this past spring at Dicks because it was on sale pretty cheap and I just bought a 15* Eureka Casper on sale at Cabela's.

I'm hiking this weekend and they are calling for a low of 34. I plan on sleeping in my hammock with a Z-Lite short pad. I'll take my Eureka to be safe.

I was testing it out last night in the basement with the MT20, it was pretty comfy.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/PAyotehunter/Camping-Hiking/IMG_20101019_221157.jpg