PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated chili??

Different Socks
10-18-2010, 22:10
On previous hikes, I'd actually carry a can of chili into the woods and eat it with pasta the first night out b/c of the bulk and weight. I would like to fill out my menu for my up coming trek with at least one recipe for chili that contains all dried or dry ingredients. Last night I saw a recipe on the back of a barley box that had ingredients that I could dry or have dried. I'd like to try variations. Does anyone have a good chili recipe that only uses dried or dehydrated ingredients?

Dicentra, if your book has one, then I will be getting it soon.

Cooldays
10-18-2010, 22:36
A staple of mine.

Make your regular favorite chili...and then dehydrate it..its that easy.

:)

I'm not being rude... i mean it.

If you want my recipe though....

brown 2lbs of meat (i lie sirloin)
rinse the cooked meat in water to get all the fat out.

brown a large onion or 2 medium ones with garlic and 2 redpeppers chopped
add the meat
then add 3 or 4 cans of beans rinsed of the bean slime
I like the large red ones the large pink ones and black ones.

get a box of a chili kit (for convenience but it is made for only 1 lb of meat so it is not enough spice) Add the chili powder but don't add the hot powder. Add the cumin and 3rd spice they give you. reserve the masa

Add 1 large or 2 small cans of diced tomatoes
add 1 can green chilis
add dried chili powder (i get mine from new mexico online and use the mild which still has some spice)

Cook low simmer for 3 hours covered

salt to taste.

at the very end of cooking add the masa chopped cilantro (the secret!!!)

then i put it in the fridge over night and deyhdrate half and eat half. You can add hot powder but remember when you dehydrate it I think the hotness concentrates and on the trail you don't want to be forced to drink what may be limited water.

enjoy!!

cooldays

Cooldays
10-18-2010, 22:37
By the way....I think it tastes as good on the trail as at home as long as you let it totally rehydrate.

skinewmexico
10-19-2010, 00:47
I know my attempt at dehydrating canned chili didn't turn out too well.

Dogwood
10-19-2010, 01:07
If you like dehydrating trail dinners because you desire a specific taste AND spending all that time AND money making/dehydrating your own chili - GREAT. Knock yourself out. Personally, I find it MUCH easier AND MUCH faster AND MUCH less expensive to buy several packages of 2 serving already dehydrated Backpackers Pantry Louisiana Red Beans and Rice meals and adding a little something extra to "kick it up a notch." I add some already dehydrated TVP(good cheap protein cals.!) to these packages to create a vegetarian chili because I don't eat red meat, but if you were a carnivore I think it would be simpler to dehydrate some ground beef and add it to the Red Beans and Rice. These Backpackers Pantry dehydrated meals regularly retail for about $3.00 - $4.00 for the 2 portion serving size. They are some of the least expensive dehydrated meals available. I buy several packages at a time at outfitters like REI or EMS who reduce the price an additional 10-20 % when you buy so many packages. I bought 10 packages of Backpackers Pantry Red Beans and Rice at the discounted price of $1.95 each at REI and further had the price reduced because I bought in quantity. When I eventually got done adding the TVP(has much the texture of ground beef!), a little extra spice, some flax/hemp seed, and dividing up the packages into the portion sizes I desired(each meal was 670 cals) my final cost was $1.67/trail dinner! On the trail I'll add a heaping tablespoonful of cheap raw sunflower seeds(adds some good fat cals. and ups the cals/oz ratio!)

IronGutsTommy
10-19-2010, 02:23
Bear Creek makes a bagged chili called "Darn Good Chili" and its um... darn good. So thats another option, like 3. 50 at grocery stores and serving size is 8, which means itll usually feed a hungry hiker twice. bear creeks got some good soups at a good price

Different Socks
10-19-2010, 09:24
Bear Creek makes a bagged chili called "Darn Good Chili" and its um... darn good. So thats another option, like 3. 50 at grocery stores and serving size is 8, which means itll usually feed a hungry hiker twice. bear creeks got some good soups at a good price

How long does it take to cook Bear Creeks chili in camp?

skinewmexico
10-19-2010, 11:08
The Bear Creek gumbo is great too. You could repackage it in smaller portions.

Grinder
10-19-2010, 11:26
directions say "add 8 oz. can of tomato paste and simmer 25 minutes"

Farr Away
10-19-2010, 14:24
Last trip out I planned to have burritos for lunch but it turned out more like chili. (Very tasty, just soupy.) It was a combination of dehydrated salsa, dehydrated refried beans, and dehydrated hamburger.

I know I dehydrated 1/2 cup of salsa, but don't have the info for the other ingredients here.

-FA

g8trh8tr
10-21-2010, 16:40
I totally agree with Cooldays....Just make your normal/favorite chili at home and dehydrate it, works great. I just had some great dehydrated venison chili on the trail last weekend. Enjoy.