PDA

View Full Version : Winter Gear.

G-WALK
10-18-2010, 22:37
:confused:I'm looking for some down pants. I'm looking to do some cold weather hiking, in the south east. NC, GA maybe VA on the AT. I am cold natured, so i want to be warm. i'm well set for sleeping gear, just need walking gear. Mainly some good ideas on warm pants and and down jackets.

thanks

leaftye
10-19-2010, 00:15
I'd contact Goosefeet and ask him to make you a custom set of down pants. I think it provides the best combination of value, warmth and weight.

Texico
10-19-2010, 18:52
You say you're set for sleeping gear, and you say you're cold natured, but don't you think down pants would be a bit much for "walking" gear? I haven't done much deep winter hiking/backpacking, but from my experiences so far I've been MORE than warm enough hiking in 1-2ft snow with just nylon pants. I think for the SE in winter microfleece, or slightly heavier, pants would be enough to conquer even the coldest hiking weather.

Down pants would be great for in camp, though. Down booties, too. I definitely was wishing I had those last winter...

Mags
10-19-2010, 19:18
Down pants for hiking are probably too warm. And I question how well down would work for active hiking in the mainly 'wet' cold conditions of the southern Apps.

kayak karl
10-19-2010, 19:31
im the village idiot, so i can't comment on your list of winter gear.

Toolshed
10-19-2010, 19:41
I circled this morning and didn't want to comment, but here I am circling again.
you DO NOT want to hike in down pants. If you are hiking in snow, the down will quickly become wetted out through the light nylon and paste to your legs, becoming useless. If you are hiking in dry cold, you will likely sweat through the nylon and wet the down leading to the same result.

Primaloft and down pants are great if you are motionless (like sitting in your tent or in a shelter when the sun goes down and the temps drop.

However, after years of hiking and climbing in the NE high peaks in dead winter at temps between 0 and 40 below and with high wind chills, I found that I only needed a light nylon shell pant over a light polypro style long underwear. I always kept a pair of full zip gore tex pants and a 200 weight set of full zip fleece pants to slap on and zip up during breaks and hanging on the summit.
But honestly the exertion of hiking and down swathed in nylon shells simply do not mix.
If you need to wear something warmer when hiking, go for either a fleece pant with a windblock pair of nylon pants or a smooth-knapped micro-fleece style pant with a soft shell overpant. I think you might even find that as overkill...

Kerosene
10-19-2010, 19:46
Even a down jacket is likely to be too warm if you're carrying a backpack. Go the layering route for your upper and lower body in lieu of a heavy jacket, at least while you're walking. Save the down gear for sitting around camp.

Feral Bill
10-19-2010, 21:36
Second for Toolshed's view. Maybe a pair of light wool pants, or windpants and fleece below. No need for down pants. A down jacket for evening? Why not.

Slo-go'en
10-19-2010, 21:59
Yea, like everyone said, down pants would be great when hanging out in camp, but too much for hiking in.

You really don't need to wear much while actually hiking, so long as you have a good breathable shell, top and bottom. Dispite all the claims of other fabrics, I find only Gortex really works in cold temps to allow your sweat to pass through and not condensate inside the jacket. Keeping dry is 9/10ths of staying warm.

My fall/winter/spring hiking uniform doesn't change much, just an extra layer and hat/gloves in the winter.

G-WALK
10-19-2010, 22:12
Good info, i'm sweating already !! thanks.. :)

leaftye
10-19-2010, 22:33
I don't know how I missed the part about you walking in them. If you do get down pants for camp, then my recommendation for Goosefeet custom down pants still stands.

mb3229
10-20-2010, 08:16
Sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone used the Terramar Men's Thermolator II Midweight underwear from Campmor. I'll be on the AT in March this coming year and was wondering if anyone has used this stuff before and what their thoughts on it were. I haven't done any colder weather hiking yet so any advice on layering would be appriciated. I've been told to expect temps in the 40's during that time of year in Georgia and NC.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68169

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68172

Marta
10-21-2010, 07:15
As everyone else has said, I wouldn't wear down while moving around. I'm cold-natured, too, and in winter I wear a microfleece base layer with a regular fleece layer over the top. Fleece breathes much better than down, and retains its warmth when wet. If it's too cold for just those two layers (usually because it's very windy), then it's time to put on the shell layer.

Some of my thinner female hiking friends wear insulated ski pants for hiking in the winter.

peakbagger
10-21-2010, 07:51
I hike year round in the whites. On most winter days that are usually 10 to 40 degrees, I hike with a pair of mountain hardware polypro pants with a pair of full zip gore tex pants on top. Very rarely do my legs get cold but they do get damp from sweating during hard exertion. With the full side zips I can open and close the shell as needed to ventilate. I do have some insulated gore tex shells for more extreme condtions, but usually end up using them for standing around drinking beer after the hike. I usually use the light poly pro long sleeve shirt, and a windblock shell and occasionally a fleece. If the conditions are really cold I do carry a long down jacket for when we stop for lunch. The standard observation for winter hiking is that if you are warm enough while standing in the parking lot waiting to go hiking, you have way to much gear on.

In general having gear that will block wind is far more inportant than insulation when hiking, your body will crank out the heat, the wind block just keeps it it where you need it. Zipper for ventilation are also important as any windblock fabric is going to have less vapor transmission than a fabric that isnt windblock. Also make sure you have enough gear to cover all your skin. A lightweight balaclava weigh very little and occupies littl space but makes a real difference. I used one several times while hiking in VA in April.

One thing to note is that the majority of down jackets are made with a lightweight synthetic shell. They are very easy to damage if you have a camp fire as any sparks will melt a hole right through.

Toolshed
10-21-2010, 08:16
I hike year round in the whites. On most winter days that are usually 10 to 40 degrees, I hike with a pair of mountain hardware polypro pants with a pair of full zip gore tex pants on top. Very rarely do my legs get cold but they do get damp from sweating during hard exertion. With the full side zips I can open and close the shell as needed to ventilate. I do have some insulated gore tex shells for more extreme condtions, but usually end up using them for standing around drinking beer after the hike....
Spoken like a true VFTT'r:D