PDA

View Full Version : Feedback wanted on possible SNP itinerary

msujay
10-19-2010, 07:46
We are planning a 3-4 day hike in SNP the last week of December. Although I'm section hiking the AT, I have heard that the best trails in SNP are off the AT. We are in good shape and favor long days of hiking over sitting at shelters or campsites for hours. I'm interested in your opinions on the following itinerary:

Day 1:

Park at Old Rag Parking, hike up Old Rag via Ridge Trail
Saddle Trail to Old Rag Fire Road
Corbin Mountain Trail to Indian Run Trail
Corbin Cabin Cutoff Trail to AT
AT to Byrd's Nest #3
15.2 miles (big day!)

Day 2:

AT to Gravel Springs Hut
17.6 miles

Day 3:

AT to Front Royal
13.4 miles

Any insights or feedback is greatly appreciated. I searched the forum but didn't find any specifics on the proposed itinerary.

msujay

msujay
10-19-2010, 08:13
Alternative Day 1:
- Old Rag, then up Old Rag Fire Road
- Skyland-Big Meadows Horse Trail to Skyland
- North on AT, up to Stony Man Summit
- AT to Byrd's Nest #3
- 16.7 miles!

StorminMormon
10-19-2010, 08:23
Wow, 46 miles in 3 days...that's a hike! Very curious to see what others post - I'm not very familiar with SNP but this post should prove very interesting. You'll have to let me know how it goes...especially the weather and how cold it gets.

jlb2012
10-19-2010, 10:43
considering the time frame I would recommend carrying some sort of a traction device such as Microspikes - Ridge trail and or Saddle trail has spots where flow ice occurs

the goat
10-19-2010, 11:46
have fun on day 1, i hope you're in good shape!

Hikerhead
10-19-2010, 12:22
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/578615572AEjkvN

That first day is going to be hard unless your in excellent shape and if you don't want to linger too long going along the crest trail. Above is a hike I did a month ago. Took all day to get to our camp site along the Corbin Hollow Trail where there's water a little ways down the trail.

Bronco Carl
10-19-2010, 13:22
Be prepared for snow, the SNP has brutal weather without warning. And remember you will only have around 9 hours of daylight give or take to hike in the last week of December. But the hike will be well worth it.

msujay
10-19-2010, 18:27
No doubt the first day will be tough. We are in good shape and plan to be on the trail first thing that morning. I'm open to suggestions for the first day. The goal was to try to incorporate Old Rag along with my goal of section hiking the AT. We also wanted to be prepared to park outside the park, in case the Skyline Drive was closed. I'm actually more concerned with the amount of daylight then with a 15-mile day. We are in good shape and really like to push ourselves physically and mentally. We are more into hiking then sitting at a shelter or campsite, so we typically hike from dawn to near dusk, typically taking 3-4 longer breaks and lots of shorter breaks.

Our plan is to check the weather forecast before leaving for VA, so we would cancel if there is a real threat of any real snow. I should add we are both from Michigan, so snow is in our blood and doesn't bother us.

Any suggestions on how to combine some off-ridge hiking along with the AT? Thanks to those that responded thus far. Great feedback. I look forward to any additional suggestions on how to modify our first day to make it more realistic.

msujay
10-19-2010, 18:27
considering the time frame I would recommend carrying some sort of a traction device such as Microspikes - Ridge trail and or Saddle trail has spots where flow ice occurs

That's the plan. Great advice.

johnnybgood
10-19-2010, 19:11
The Bryds Nest # 3 Shelter has a fireplace -- hopefully there's firewood ready to burn

Once inside SNP a back country permit will be need, free of charge.

There are rocks on day 3 headed north of Tom Floyd Wayside that could be icy .

Day 1 is a dozy ... Good luck.

chiefiepoo
10-19-2010, 19:54
Some of the locals might opine with more detail, but I seem to recall a few tight spots and some boulder crawls working up the Ridge trail from the parking lot 2 years ago. Not particularly hard, but a real time killer. Add some ice and short daylight for a mileage challenge of considerable difficulty. At least you won't have to contend with the fair weather crowds on Old Rag.

ATsawyer
10-19-2010, 20:33
I too am from MI (MSU'75) now living in VA. There are some great loop hikes in central district SNP -- get PATC map #10. You can wind your way into the backcountry where you'll not likely see a soul that time of year, pop out on the AT for some ridge line views (Meadow Spring to AT south), and dive back into deep Shenandoah for waterfalls and solitude. HOI's advice for microspikes (easily packable) is solid, but don't be surprised if you have a 70 degree day. Winter hiking (or trail work) in shirtsleeves is a SNP tradition. Look into Hazel Country, Buck Ridge/Hollow, Mill/Laurel Prong, Nicholson Hollow, Hawksbill, White Oak/Cedar Run......you'll wish you had a month.

Hobbler
10-20-2010, 23:16
msujay:

Though not the typical winter here in Virginia, and actually on the extreme side of the scale, last December 18th, 2009, most of Central Virginia received well over 24" of snow in the valleys. Of course, SNP and the Blue Ridge received more on the order of 40 or more inches which was followed by a month long continued cold spell not allowing for any melting. Highly unusual, but we do get these monster storms occasionally. A few storms of 4-8" followed in January, and the winter then yielded another 20" storm on Feb 5-6, 2010. These were Valley totals and obviously more fell up at elevation. The accumulated amounts made for impassable conditions on most of the Skyline Drive from December 18th until March 1st or so. The gates remained closed. Yes, it would be wise to leave your vehicle outside the park just in case. Not looking forward to that drastic of a forecast this year....I hope. Have a great hike!

msujay
10-21-2010, 20:59
Thanks everyone! Great feedback. We will adjust our first day to be more realistic, but still plan to hike big miles over 3-4 days. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

Cookerhiker
06-03-2011, 10:06
No doubt the first day will be tough. We are in good shape and plan to be on the trail first thing that morning. I'm open to suggestions for the first day. The goal was to try to incorporate Old Rag along with my goal of section hiking the AT. We also wanted to be prepared to park outside the park, in case the Skyline Drive was closed. I'm actually more concerned with the amount of daylight then with a 15-mile day. We are in good shape and really like to push ourselves physically and mentally. We are more into hiking then sitting at a shelter or campsite, so we typically hike from dawn to near dusk, typically taking 3-4 longer breaks and lots of shorter breaks.

Our plan is to check the weather forecast before leaving for VA, so we would cancel if there is a real threat of any real snow. I should add we are both from Michigan, so snow is in our blood and doesn't bother us.

Any suggestions on how to combine some off-ridge hiking along with the AT? Thanks to those that responded thus far. Great feedback. I look forward to any additional suggestions on how to modify our first day to make it more realistic.

Even if there's no snow in the forecast or on the ground, I'd recommend checking (here on WB, Park Service, PATC) on ice conditions before starting your hike.

Spirit Walker
06-03-2011, 13:40
You might want to do a shorter first day. It gets dark at about 4:30 that time of year.

sarman
06-05-2011, 20:26
We have hiked SNP and AT near Mtn Lake and north of Roanoke in winter the last 15 years. Sometimes we wear shorts, sometimes it is zero in the am with high winds. The last couple years have been snowy with SNP closures. We have parked outside the park and hiked in via side trails. Sometimes water is high and we have to bushwack.

We have rented cabins in the park or go shelter to shelter. I plan on half the miles I did on my section hike. 7-10 miles/day vs 15-20.

You live in MI. Do you hike in MI in the winter? There have been people snowed in the park. We go regardless of the weather. That's what contingency plans are for. I have used chains and 4x4 when needed.

Pack weights are 10 pounds more, minimum, winter backpacking.

dcmidnight
06-14-2011, 10:22
I did an overnight last fall and did Thornton Gap->Gravel Springs the first day and then Gravel Springs -> 4H center on Day 2. It was a real good workout and I was in great shape at the time of my hike.

Probably the biggest killer was the straight downhill path to get to the Gravel Springs Hut after that long day :)

But the family of bears living in the clearing there made it worthwhile.