PDA

View Full Version : Deep Creek overnight over Thanksgiving weekend

Buffalo Skipper
10-19-2010, 15:57
I am looking for some suggestions for an easy overnight trek near Deep Creek Thanksgiving weekend. I will be with my son (12) and my older brother (54, who thru-hiked the AT in '76). We want to keep it fairly easy. The whole family will be staying in a cabin in Whittier that week.

Right now I am considering starting up on the Deep Creek trail to campsite 58, and coming back the next day via the Sunkota Ridge Trail or the Indian Creek Trail. Alternatives are welcome.

Also, what seasonal weather should we expect at the end of November? We will have 2 tents and one hammock. Ideas?

The Solemates
10-19-2010, 16:23
big creek trail to cosby knob is easy. then take a day hike up to the firetower at cammerer. beautiful area, done this trip at least half a dozen times. you will most likely have snow at the end of november....maybe not, but certainly prepare for it.

Buffalo Skipper
10-19-2010, 17:15
I dayhiked that exact trail this summer with a small group of scouts. Amazing view from the tower on top of Cammerer. We were camping at Cosby and started right from the campsite. Another group dropped a vehicle on the AT at 32 by Big Creek, with which we went to Cataloochee in the afternoon. It was a great time and alot of fun.

This time we will be at the opposite end of park, so I was considering the Deep Creek hike, as it is only a 10 minute drive from the cabin we will have for the week.

HooKooDooKu
10-21-2010, 09:33
The OP said the DEEP Creek area, not BIG Creek area.

While not exactly the DEEP Creek area, I'd suggest looking at opportunities at the end of the "Road to No Where" (Lakeview Drive). The open portion of the road ends just before a tunnel that you get to walk through. There are several loop opportunites and you can make the trip about as easy or as difficult as you want.

As an example of a SUPER easy trip, take the Goldmine Loop Trail and camp at 67. Your total distance for the whole trip would be less than 4 miles, with the elevation changes staying around 500'.

Or you can get more adventurous and hike out to #71 and return on Springhouse Branch and Noland Creek (8+ miles for the 2nd day), or make it a two night trip with stops at #71 and #64.

I have not hiked these trails yet myself, but it's something I've been eyeing for future trips.

As for weather in late November, the Average (for lower elevations) would put highs around the mid 50's and lows in the low 30's. But it might be unseasonably warm with highs in the 70's or the possibility of snow.

The Solemates
10-21-2010, 12:17
This time we will be at the opposite end of park, so I was considering the Deep Creek hike, as it is only a 10 minute drive from the cabin we will have for the week.

The OP said the DEEP Creek area, not BIG Creek area.

yep. i guess i read what i wanted to read. havent done the deep creek, but have done some of the fork ridge trail. beautiful area. have fun!

Ox97GaMe
10-21-2010, 17:26
If you are open to doing an up and back on the same trail, then I would suggest Noland Creek up to #64 an back on the same trail.

I also really like #74. Near the lake with great swimming (if the weather permits), or take a pole and drown some worms there.

55, 56, 57, 58, or 59 are nice locations too. You can make a loop using Indian Creek or Sunkota Ridge.

I wouldnt recommend #66. Although it is a short hike, it isnt much of a campsite and the lake at that location is usually covered with floating debris.

gollwoods
10-22-2010, 21:23
site 46 on the indian creek trail over the martins gap trail and return on the deep creek trail. also site 51 on the deeplow gap trail at the indian creek motor trail

Hikes in Rain
10-23-2010, 09:31
Park one car (or find someone to shuttle you) up to the start of the Deep Creek Trail, just short of Newfound Gap. Then, leisurely stroll along the creek down to a number of campsites, some reservation, some not, about halfway down. Next morning, stroll on down to the lower trailhead. Qualifier: I've never done this one, but have heard it's very nice.

Ox97GaMe
11-01-2010, 20:04
Rain is correct. That is a VERY nice stroll down along the creek if you can get a shuttle around to NFG. It would be approx 45 min from Whittier.

liteweight
11-04-2010, 21:38
looks like both 46 and 51 are both closed because of bear activity.

gollwoods
11-14-2010, 19:47
looks like both 46 and 51 are both closed because of bear activity.

silly bears