PDA

View Full Version : Lean-to Space

Phorestfreak
12-08-2004, 20:41
Many lean-to's,that I have seen, have a space between the front and the sleeping platform that is about 3 feet wide. Does this space have a name and what is the purpose of the gap?

A-Train
12-08-2004, 21:17
Mainly the only lean-to's with this design are in Connecticut. I've been told they are to keep mice/porcupines/other animals from getting onto the sleeping platform and providing a seperate place to cook. If this is true, it certainly doesn't work very well and is kind of a pain, especially late at night. Not sure what its called

tribes
12-08-2004, 21:31
I heard a Connecticut Ridgerunner refer to it as the kneebreaker.

The Solemates
12-09-2004, 10:22
Yea, its mainly to keep critters out. Especially to keep porcupines, which are common in the NE, and who crave salt, from chewing up the sleeping platform.

TJ aka Teej
12-09-2004, 12:32
Does this space have a name and what is the purpose of the gap?
It's the Deacon's Seat. An old term from the logging camp days for the benches like that in front of the bunks, where the men would sit and gab about the day's goings-on. Since it's under the eaves on lean-tos, it serves the same purpose for hikers. As far as being protection from porkies and other critters, I'd have to say it's not much use.

The Solemates
12-09-2004, 16:30
It's the Deacon's Seat. An old term from the logging camp days for the benches like that in front of the bunks, where the men would sit and gab about the day's goings-on. Since it's under the eaves on lean-tos, it serves the same purpose for hikers. As far as being protection from porkies and other critters, I'd have to say it's not much use.

I knew I had heard that term before, but I just couldnt come up with it. thanks...Deacon's Seat...ok

Phorestfreak
12-09-2004, 17:18
Deacon's Seat and Kneebreaker, I prefer the latter. I wonder if it has any other slang names? one thing is for sure it does not keep out porkies or any other animals maybe it would stop cattle.

walkin' wally
12-09-2004, 18:42
One good example of porcupine damage can be found at the Spaulding Mt. lean-to in Maine. The leading edges of the boards on the sleeping deck have really taken a beating from all the chewing. If you are in the area sometime check it out.
This lean-to does set lower to the ground than some others so maybe that helps the critters get to the wood easier. The space between the deacon seat and the sleeping platform is supposed to prevent the critters from getting inside. Like TJ says it probably does not help much.

weary
12-09-2004, 22:57
TeeJ has the name right and it's common use. But the long, low overhang also helps keep rain and snow off the sleeping area.

In 1993 I found most of the shelters in Georgia and North Carolina pretty worthless in a storm. The front openings were so big and the overhang so narrow the rain flooded the sleeping area every windy storm.

Weary

Rain Man
12-09-2004, 23:30
Mainly the only lean-to's with this design are in Connecticut.

I know Brown Fork Gap Shelter in NC south of Fontana Dam has this design, and it's a fairly new shelter, though built on an old style, if I'm not mistaken.

:sun
Rain Man

Youngblood
12-10-2004, 08:36
In 1993 I found most of the shelters in Georgia and North Carolina pretty worthless in a storm. The front openings were so big and the overhang so narrow the rain flooded the sleeping area every windy storm.

Weary

Yeah, they have replaced some of them and they extended the front overhang and sidewalls at the Blue Mountain Shelter which was probably the most exposed one in Georgia. I remember in 2000 at the old Gooch Gap shelter in GA where I decided to use my plastic ground sheet (that I carried to use with my tarp) to cover the foot end of my sleeping bag because it was raining when I got to the shelter. The wind picked up during the night... other folks bags got drenched from the blowing rain but the plastic saved me.

Youngblood

Peaks
12-10-2004, 08:41
Porkies can climb, so if they can't crawl under the logs, then they can sure climb over the Deacon's Seat. Don't think for one minute that that is going to stop them.

Pencil Pusher
12-10-2004, 10:28
For as big as those porcupines appear, they sure don't have much meat on them.