PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Nobos starting in February 2011

beautifulpoetman
10-19-2010, 16:40
This thread is for early birds to get an idea of who will be starting out in Georgia in February. Leave some data: name or alias, relevent personal stats, and trail ambitions.

Also, feel free to offer experience and ask questions regarding winter hiking, the trail in February, or anything pertaining to a February start.

My name is Joe, but on the trail you can call me Triton. I live in Kentucky, though I'm a native New Yorker. I'm a 36 year old male. You will recognize me because I'm six and a half feet tall. Don't be scared-- like most crypto-hominids, I'm a vegetarian and only eat campers when I am desperate. ;)

I plan to start my nobo thruhike in February, either the third or last weekend of the month, depending on travel and weather logistics. Mine will be a slow start-- six to ten miles per day in Georgia. I don't have time constraints to finish before October.

In seven weeks I'll be happily unemployed, and in a few more months I'll be on the trail. I am half excited and half scared, to be honest. I'm also well-prepared and stubborn. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you dreamers out on the trail or on this forum.

a_tigger
10-19-2010, 16:53
Hi Joe / Triton..
I'm Aaron / Tigger - I'm planning on starting March 1st. I too will be unemployed soon and have no time constraints.... if your starting the last weekend of feb perhaps i catch up to you.... you can't miss me - I've got long red hair and goatee

beautifulpoetman
10-19-2010, 16:55
You probably will catch up to me.

Fats
10-19-2010, 17:05
I'm planning an April start, I will be the fat guy laying in the middle of the trail crying.

Throw something with calories at me, tell me to put on the "big girl panties". and try not to laugh too hard.

I am unemployed, and have no time constraints. I do have severe money constraints however (see unemployed, above)

Fats

hikingshoes
10-19-2010, 17:45
If all goes well(if i sale my H-D 03)by April.Ill be hitting the trail in April as well.

SweetestFetus
10-19-2010, 18:09
Beautiful Poet: Not exactly Feb, but my boyfriend and I start our thru-hike in mid-March. No time constraints as well, so we'll be going slow and enjoying the walking.

Fats: Right there with ya, man, on the no-money situation. You can join my boyfriend and I as we run out of money and have to scrounge up some grubs for our GORP. (Grubs and Other Repulsive Protein)

Sensei
10-19-2010, 18:28
Hey Everyone.

I'll be starting in the last few weeks of February, not sure of the exact date yet. In a perfect world, I'd probably wait till March to be around a few more hikers (people person here), but alas, I have to be back at school for the fall semester. Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting all the other early birds on the trail.

No trail name yet, so I guess I'll just have to go by Chase for the next four months or so. Can't wait!!

C-quoia
10-19-2010, 19:15
Hi all,

I'm hoping to start in late February as well, or the first week of March at the latest, and I'll be c-quoia (sequoia) on the Trail. I'll be unemployed after I graduate in December (yikes!), but I'm hoping to get a job lined up for the start of next school year. Depending on how that goes, I may or may not have time constraints for finishing, but I am psyched to finish getting ready and get an early start. I'll be traveling from New England, so my start date may also depend on weather for the trip down to GA.

See ya'll out there!

niners
10-19-2010, 19:23
My daughter and I are planning a Feb 16 start. We have to be done by the end of July so she can get ready for college. She is graduating high school a semester early to hike the trail. Pretty darn excited that she really wants to spend 4-5 months with her dad. Dehydrating food like crazy right now, can't wait to get started.

Carbo
10-19-2010, 20:03
Been thinking about March, but now an end of February start date is looking better. Was layed-off in June and finding work at my age is nearly impossible. Anyway, I have been able to get up to hiking 12-15 mile days because of my free time, and I want this thru to start ASAP while I'm still in shape.

Just need to get the cold weather gear together and tested in the coming months. Any suggestions for what's needed for a Feb start?

Carbo
10-19-2010, 20:24
Just came across many threads addressing this question for cold weather hiking. I think I found answers to the question.

Good luck to all Feb starters. Hope to meet you on the trail!

Praha4
10-19-2010, 23:52
suggest ya'll go back and read the WB posts of the 2010 hikers who started last Feb. Much of the trail was impassable thru the Smokies, and many hikers had to get off the trail back then because of weather and trail conditions. IMO the hike would be much more enjoyable if you waited at least til mid March.

the wierd thing is the east coast had the hottest summer in 30 years immediately follow the coldest winter in 30 years. Who knows what this coming winter will be like, you may see a mild February 2011.

BrianLe
10-20-2010, 00:24
I was one of the ones that started in Feb this year (Feb 25th), and among the first to get through the Smokies, though I think that at that time very few if any were staying on the actual trail in the stretch from Clingman's Dome to Newfound Gap --- even road walking around that we were post-holing, past Clingman's Dome it was waist-deep postholing at the point I was there (started into the Smokies March 11th, got to Gatlinburg March 13th, zeroed there on the 14th, got to Standing Bear Farm hostel on the 17th). What made it much easier (or at least do-able) for the ad hoc group I went through with were the fewer tough souls who put in footsteps that we were following (sometimes frozen postholes, but still). Somewhat of a crap shoot each day and even each part of the day whether it would be icy, soft/postholing snow, warm and (soaking) wet, etc.

For the first days in particular it was quite windy, and of course a cold wind, so factor that into your gear choices --- wind protection of extremities (ears, hands). I found a wind shirt AND a vest were sometimes the right option, a combination I can rarely hike in without overheating.

Factor in too that last year was, we were told, quite a snowy year for the south. Based on the blowdowns (more before and after the Smokies, not a lot in the Smokies), I believe it.

I'm glad that I started early on the whole, but starting on Feb 25th and maintaining a decent pace meant that the AT was a relatively lonely trail. I had a better social life on the PCT, as I was more with the "herd" on that one. I think if I were to do it again I might start about a week later, i.e., early March, though who knows, maybe it was *too* crowded then (dunno).

It was nice pretty much always having space in the shelters; on that basis, a person could take a somewhat more minimal tent, so long as it's also something that works with cold and snow at need (!) --- one of my hiking partners did that, was happy with his Six Moons Designs "Wild Oasis" (13 oz) --- because we almost always slept in shelters, in fact I would say we literally always slept in shelters until we walked into Virginia and out of the snow.

It was nice to get to a hostel and know there would be space, and perhaps not much of a wait to take a shower or to do laundry. So overall I'm just as happy I started when I did.

I do think that if you're starting in Feb you would be well advised to have some experience at backpacking in the winter --- not just theoretical, but some personal experience.

Best of luck to all of you, whether starting early, late, or in between!

SullyJoe
10-20-2010, 01:48
I'm excited to see this thread.
I don't have a trail name yet, but my name is also Joe. I'm leaving feb 21with a hiking partner (Stormsong), and part of thr reason is to beat the crowd... we are social people, but we enjoy the seclusion of the wilderness. So i am glad to know there will be others along with us. We're planning one more shake down in jan. to get the expirience in the snow. I am originally from michigan, and like the cold, but have never backpacked in winter conditions. I would like to hear some opinipns about foot gear. After reading different posts, i am leaning towards getting ice trekkers, and wanted to know if these will be enough, or if i should go with crampons. I appreciate any feedback. See you out on the trail,

Syllujoe.

SullyJoe
10-20-2010, 01:49
I'm excited to see this thread.
I don't have a trail name yet, but my name is also Joe. I'm leaving feb 21with a hiking partner (Stormsong), and part of thr reason is to beat the crowd... we are social people, but we enjoy the seclusion of the wilderness. So i am glad to know there will be others along with us. We're planning one more shake down in jan. to get the expirience in the snow. I am originally from michigan, and like the cold, but have never backpacked in winter conditions. I would like to hear some opinipns about foot gear. After reading different posts, i am leaning towards getting ice trekkers, and wanted to know if these will be enough, or if i should go with crampons. I appreciate any feedback. See you out on the trail,

Syllujoe.

BrianLe
10-20-2010, 10:17
"After reading different posts, i am leaning towards getting ice trekkers, and wanted to know if these will be enough, or if i should go with crampons."

My opinion: definitely not any sort of real crampon, even I think instep crampons might be overkill. Caveat: this is of course jus based on experiences my particular (last) year.

I brought Yaktrax Pro's, and these weren't a bad trade-off for dealing with ice. Despite deep snow in the Smokies (last year at least), I never wanted actual crampons. The only issue, and somewhat rarely, was ice.

There were a handful (or less) of days where I put on the yaktrax and actually wore them long enough to make them more useful than a PITA, and I think this was mostly or perhaps entirely before the Smokies.

The problem I encountered was that I'd see a long somewhat icy stretch ahead and have to decide whether to just walk carefully or to stop, pull out the yaktrax and put them on, knowing that perhaps just around the corner it would be relatively bare trail again. It doesn't take too many instances of "put 'em on, and then all too soon take 'em off again" before you decide to just screw it and mail them home at the next opportunity.

I think I might take either yaktrax or perhaps Kahtoola Microspikes if I were going for a February start again, but that would depend on weather reports, known snowpack, and trail journals by the even crazier folks who left earlier (there always seems to be someone yet a little crazier!).

Jeff
10-20-2010, 11:27
I do think that if you're starting in Feb you would be well advised to have some experience at backpacking in the winter --- not just theoretical, but some personal experience.

Excellent advice !!!!

Turtle Feet
10-21-2010, 10:29
[QUOTE-
[/QUOTE]

I'll second that, excellent advise! Hiking with cold feet that (depending on your boot) can be cold and wet by the end of the day, then put frozen boots back on the next morning and hike some more - well, it takes a very special person. :eek:

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-21-2010, 10:53
I'm planning an April start, I will be the fat guy laying in the middle of the trail crying.

Throw something with calories at me, tell me to put on the "big girl panties". and try not to laugh too hard.

I am unemployed, and have no time constraints. I do have severe money constraints however (see unemployed, above)

Fats

Panties too! Suyeeee! Hey Fats just as long as them panties don't belong to Miss Janet who revealed to those attending the Gathering that she plans to attempt a thurhike beginnig in Feb. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. We both laughed when I asked her "I wonder how many guys will be pink blazing you".

BrianLe
10-21-2010, 11:40
"Hiking with cold feet that (depending on your boot) can be cold and wet by the end of the day, then put frozen boots back on the next morning and hike some more - well, it takes a very special person."

I solve that one by not using boots. One of my hiking partners liked his goretex boots for the snowy section (he switched to trail runners in Virginia), but I was happy with trail runners throughout. Feet get wet, not a problem with wool socks, though I did use goretex socks (over the wool ones) at times.

Shoes are at least a little more flexible when actually frozen (this only happened a couple of times). I just put them on at the last minute, just before starting to walk, so as my core body temperature rose (through exertion) my feet could eventually warm up and defrost the shoes --- uncomfortable for the first half hour or so and then you forget about it.

Give me frozen shoes over frozen boots any day, yet another benefit IMO of light footwear. And if boots and shoes do get totally wet, the shoes can get completely dry from just a NERO.

Caveat: again, don't try this (shoes not boots) for the very first time in snowy conditions at the start of a thru-hike ...

On a related note, one of my favorite pieces of gear for the early stretch was a pair of Feathered Friends down booties (http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bed.Acc/Down%20Booties.html). They definitely add weight and bulk to the overall gear load, but were very very nice to have at the end of the day and to keep me warmer in the bag at night, and the shells made them decent footwear for "close by" the shelter. Worth carrying (up until Damascus, maybe Pearisburg).

SullyJoe
10-23-2010, 00:45
BrianLe,
Thank you for your advice. A coworker of mine also suggested to use trailrunners for winter months (which i plan on using for the majority of my thru) because they thaw a lot quicker.
I am doing a shake-down in Jan. and was planning on using my trailrunners (instead of my boots). What is the reason you suggest not doing this the first time hiking in winter conditions?
I have gotten used to hiking with weight in my trailrunners, and so thought her advice was sound.
What advice as far as trying this for the first time would you give?

BrianLe
10-23-2010, 01:37
I just think you should try trail runners in very wet and/or cold conditions for the first time in a situation where you have a reasonable bail-out option if it's not working for you. I think that it should work for you, but in general going (safely) with ligher, "less" gear is somewhat tied to experience. Wool socks and just accepting that your feet will be wet sometimes are a big part of it, but dealing with in-camp as well as on-trail, having dry feet at night --- I think you would be wiser to not be too far away from a car or warm house or something the very first time(s) you try this.

Turtle Feet
10-23-2010, 07:31
I solve that one by not using boots. One of my hiking partners liked his goretex boots for the snowy section (he switched to trail runners in Virginia), but I was happy with trail runners throughout. Feet get wet, not a problem with wool socks, though I did use goretex socks (over the wool ones) at times.

Shoes are at least a little more flexible when actually frozen (this only happened a couple of times). I just put them on at the last minute, just before starting to walk, so as my core body temperature rose (through exertion) my feet could eventually warm up and defrost the shoes --- uncomfortable for the first half hour or so and then you forget about it.

Give me frozen shoes over frozen boots any day, yet another benefit IMO of light footwear. And if boots and shoes do get totally wet, the shoes can get completely dry from just a NERO.

Caveat: again, don't try this (shoes not boots) for the very first time in snowy conditions at the start of a thru-hike ...

On a related note, one of my favorite pieces of gear for the early stretch was a pair of Feathered Friends down booties (http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bed.Acc/Down%20Booties.html). They definitely add weight and bulk to the overall gear load, but were very very nice to have at the end of the day and to keep me warmer in the bag at night, and the shells made them decent footwear for "close by" the shelter. Worth carrying (up until Damascus, maybe Pearisburg).

I was wondering about the down booties. Thought about putting them on my xmas list. Snoozing in a toastie hammock with down booties on - I'll be laying there until noon every day! :sun

As far as the trail runners, I came across a piece of gear the other day (I need to go back and try to find it now) that gave me pause. They were like an over 'sock' for your boots (or trail runners I suppose). Sort of a gaiter with a bottom.

I just gave them a nano-second of consideration and then dismissed, but I'm wondering now if it's something that would be appropriate for postholing days? I'll have to try to find the source again. Has anyone seen these? They may have been in the hunting gear section of Cabela's (I was looking for silk sock liners).

TF

SawnieRobertson
10-23-2010, 11:24
My opinion: definitely not any sort of real crampon, even I think instep crampons might be overkill. Caveat: this is of course jus based on experiences my particular (last) year.

I brought Yaktrax Pro's, and these weren't a bad trade-off for dealing with ice. Despite deep snow in the Smokies (last year at least), I never wanted actual crampons. The only issue, and somewhat rarely, was ice.

There were a handful (or less) of days where I put on the yaktrax and actually wore them long enough to make them more useful than a PITA, and I think this was mostly or perhaps entirely before the Smokies.

The problem I encountered was that I'd see a long somewhat icy stretch ahead and have to decide whether to just walk carefully or to stop, pull out the yaktrax and put them on, knowing that perhaps just around the corner it would be relatively bare trail again. It doesn't take too many instances of "put 'em on, and then all too soon take 'em off again" before you decide to just screw it and mail them home at the next opportunity.

I think I might take either yaktrax or perhaps Kahtoola Microspikes if I were going for a February start again, but that would depend on weather reports, known snowpack, and trail journals by the even crazier folks who left earlier (there always seems to be someone yet a little crazier!).

I've found that YakTrax fall off in even 6-inch snow, so I treasure my Stabl-icers (sp?), which don't. It seems like the ever-present question of whether or not to put on your pack cover and/or your poncho; therefore, I treasure my Packa.

Rootin' for a milder winter than last.--Kinnickinic

Luddite
10-23-2010, 12:15
I'll be starting February 19. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the weather will be like. I don't mind winter hiking I just don't want to hike in 6 feet of snow.

North GA is a great place to gain winter backpacking experience. Just make sure you have a good sleeping bag. Theres nothing worse than hiking all day in the cold knowing that you're going to be cold all night.

BrianLe
10-23-2010, 12:33
Turtle Feet wrote:

"As far as the trail runners, I came across a piece of gear the other day (I need to go back and try to find it now) that gave me pause. They were like an over 'sock' for your boots (or trail runners I suppose). Sort of a gaiter with a bottom.
I just gave them a nano-second of consideration and then dismissed, but I'm wondering now if it's something that would be appropriate for postholing days? I'll have to try to find the source again. Has anyone seen these? They may have been in the hunting gear section of Cabela's (I was looking for silk sock liners)."

If you have turtle feet, what are you worried about? :-)

You might be talking about one of the 40Below overboot products (http://www.40below.com/products_Results_overboots.php?CategoryName=overbo ots). IMO these are way overkill for the AT, at least the AT in February.

SawnieRobertson said:

"I've found that YakTrax fall off in even 6-inch snow, so I treasure my Stabl-icers (sp?), which don't. It seems like the ever-present question of whether or not to put on your pack cover and/or your poncho; therefore, I treasure my Packa."

Agreed in general about YakTrax, I think I got them because they were a little lighter (? don't recall) and I wasn't sure how much I would need them. In general, though the icy stretches didn't have much or any snow depth, and I didn't want them for anywhere else. I think the reason people have YakTrax falling off (I've seen them littering other trails too) is that they wear them in relatively deep snow. Where I think they don't do much good.

I think that Yaktrax might also go on and off a little faster than Stabl-icers, but if you already have the latter I'm sure they'll work great, if in fact you end up needing them.

Agreed also on the Packa, particularly when it gets warmer out. The AT was the first trail where I periodically felt the need for a pack cover but no sort of "body cover", hence using the Packa in pack cover mode worked great. In my home territory I'm no fan of pack covers, but on the AT I found that some sort of cover was nice to have.

For the early stretch I started with a poncho shelter, but last year there were so many blowdowns I didn't like to risk both rain gear and shelter wearing it (Gatewood Cape) through the blowdowns, so I switched. Hopefully the blowdowns won't be as much of a problem this year, I'm sure there will be some but I'm guessing a whole lot less.

Turtle Feet
10-23-2010, 14:15
Turtle Feet wrote:

If you have turtle feet, what are you worried about? :-)

You might be talking about one of the 40Below overboot products (http://www.40below.com/products_Results_overboots.php?CategoryName=overbo ots). IMO these are way overkill for the AT, at least the AT in February.

Yep, that's basically what they were, only the 40Below's look nicer. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw them. Took one look and thought "heavy" so they were immediately disregarded. I just remember thinking that they're be great for postholing.

The only thing I have in common with Turtle Feet are their stride.... maybe it's the length of their legs. :-?

TF

atmosphere
10-30-2010, 17:36
I was planning a SOBO in July but just found out that my internship will not be getting extended so I'm planning a NOBO in mid-Feb, I don't have a tailname, but my name is Tim, hope to see some of you out there

mikecordes
11-03-2010, 16:13
we are starting feb 15.... we have hiked in feb/mar almost every year since 2003..you have to be prepared for snow/ ice ...last year we hiked from winding stair to hiawassee in 3+ feet of snow.. we set up tent on icepak..as long as you have the right gear and take your time, you can survive.. you have to be prepared for low mileage days in feb and march in the south..

northernstorm
11-03-2010, 16:48
march 5th, ill probably see ya. my name is northern storm, call me storm.

Kalell
11-22-2010, 11:13
Love the cold and winter - something about the snow. Thinking of starting in January/February. See quite a few posts for February any starters in January? March start is too late for me.

Kalell
11-22-2010, 12:21
Yea I'm in for starting in Springer January/February. The earlier the better for me.

Miss_Onward
11-23-2010, 03:33
Hey y'all!

Onward here.

Beginning early February with my partner Upward and plan on taking our time.

Nothin' but excited over here in Denver.

Can't wait till we begin our trek!
Can't wait to meet you all!!

Follow us @ http://ouratthruhike2011.blogspot.com/

beautifulpoetman
11-23-2010, 17:50
It's really exciting seeing all these replies. I'm 90 days (more or less) away from the trail and it's cool to see other crazy people braving the late winter. I hope to meet as many of you as possible out on the trail. Happy hiking (and thru-hike planning and prep) to all of you!

Tim51
12-04-2010, 13:57
Just thought i would chime in. I'm starting mid/late Feb. no firm date though. I just finished working and I have some personal duties and loose ends to tie up in this month....then at least 2 shake down hikes and some camping in Jan. ..more for testing my gear and clothing and making adjustments than anything else. Getting very excited and the reality of a it is sinking in! Can't wait to get out there hiking up and down mountains with a backpack on, and cold wind and rain and snow pelting me in the face! :)

10-K
12-04-2010, 14:10
Starting in March is no guarantee you're going to miss bad weather.

It's entirely possible that you'd have better weather in February in the south than you do in March - meaning it might not snow/ice at all in February only to get socked in March.

In 2008 I hiked the section in the Smokies in mid-March and got caught in an ice storm that the trail treacherous in many areas. For a few days I think I fell at least once every hour and busted my butt.

If my memory is right, there was little in the way of precipitation in Feburary of that year. There's no value at all in comparing one year to another other than as a broad generalization.

Mountain_Goat
12-04-2010, 14:34
Howdy,I'm planning either a late feb/early march start depending on weather.

See you guys out there.
Can't miss me.I'm tattooed:eek:

jsstewar
12-08-2010, 10:29
Me and my partner Krista (puddleduck) Feb. 21st, we will be the frozen statues that were too enthusiastic. :cool:

dgaf169
12-08-2010, 14:25
I started Feb 15th of last year and as gadget said it was nasty. However if i had to do it over again i dont think i would change anything. the best advice i could give would be not to skimp on gear, buy the warmest, lightest gear you can afford it will make a world of difference. also keep in mind if there is snow of any considerable amount your mileage will go down...the good news is you will have about 1800 miles to make up the miles. the last place i saw snow was going over mount rogers in va. good luck everybody.

RockeR

Snowleopard
12-08-2010, 15:38
I read the stories of last Feb in the Smokies, great fun! Did anybody use snowshoes, or wish that they had them?

Kahtoola microspikes seem to work better than yaktrax or stabilicers for icy trails and are quick to put on and take off. Good for New England winters.

NEOS uninsulated overboots are less overkill. I have these NEOS adventurers: http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=ANN I used them last winter (New England) and haven't made up my mind yet. They are quick to put on, warm when worn over shoes, waterproof. What I don't like is that they aren't breathable.

BrianLe
12-09-2010, 02:28
"Did anybody use snowshoes, or wish that they had them?"

I'm not aware of anyone; I did see some old, somewhat faint snowshoe tracks going north from Clingman's Dome, but have no idea if they were made by thru-hikers or others (nor an idea of how far they went). I didn't want them. Ditto on the PCT, and I don't anticipate wanting them on the CDT this coming year. I think for most thru-hikers the feeling is that if it's bad enough that snowshoes really are needed, then best to wait, or perhaps to skip to another part of the trail and then come back later.

NEOS overboots: too heavy for what they deliver IMO. That said, I have a pair of ligher NEOS boots on my Christmas wish list, as I think they might be nice for winter use in some situations locally. If I really love them I could consider trying them out in Montana in June, but between the weight and, as you say, the lack of breathability (you're basically into a vapor barrier situation there), I'd be disinclined. Definitely for the AT anyway, unless perhaps starting substantially earlier than I did (Feb 25th of this year).

dgaf169
12-09-2010, 14:13
I used snowshoes through out the smokies, as a matter of fact gadget those may have been my tracks that you saw. they worked great but added another 4 pounds to my base weight...sent them home as soon as i got out of the smokies. dont think there calling for as bad of a winter this year so hopefully no one will need them.

gipcgirl
12-11-2010, 20:54
suggest ya'll go back and read the WB posts of the 2010 hikers who started last Feb. Much of the trail was impassable thru the Smokies, and many hikers had to get off the trail back then because of weather and trail conditions. IMO the hike would be much more enjoyable if you waited at least til mid March.

the wierd thing is the east coast had the hottest summer in 30 years immediately follow the coldest winter in 30 years. Who knows what this coming winter will be like, you may see a mild February 2011.

Yeah I was on the AT in that heat wave it felt just like hiking in Australia in midsummer, I'm doing it again in 2011 and will be starting early march hopefully it will not be as hot and also not as cold in Georgia I started 19th March going earlier this year around 1st week March.

Praha4
12-11-2010, 22:28
hey Gipcgirl,

great to hear you will be coming back again in 2011. I met you in Franklin, NC when we rode Ronnie Haven't bus back to Winding Stair Gap. I only made it to Damascus last year.... giving it another try in 2011, starting in early April.

best of luck to you!
noboat

NiteRaven
12-12-2010, 02:44
Sounds like we've got ourselves a bunch of pus$ies. I'm starting in mid-Feb. and will crawl on all fours over the snow and ice until my hands bleed if necessary. Nothing will in my way of making it to Katahdin, especially a bunch of panzy-ass snowflakes.

4eyedbuzzard
12-12-2010, 02:58
Nice way to make a first impression. :rolleyes: :welcome anyway.

Karma can be a funny thing. Ever been in an ice storm in the mountains? : : : You listening Mother Nature? : : :

NiteRaven
12-12-2010, 03:37
Bring it. I'll drop-kick mother nature in the nutsack. Oh wait...

dgaf169
12-12-2010, 16:45
Bring it. I'll drop-kick mother nature in the nutsack. Oh wait...

The trail will humble you in many ways. You will learn very quicjly that mother nature always wins. Its good to be optomistic but you should also be realistic. Starting in mid feb you could face 1.5 or 2 months of snow and cold weather. Its easy walking through snow for a day or two or even a week. But i will tell you first hand it will wear you down pretty quick. Coming out of NOC it took me 6 hours to go 7 miles and i didnt take any breaks over 10 min. By the time i made it to the shelter i was beat. I will say though that IF you do make it through the snow and cold weather u will greatly increase your chance of finishing.

NiteRaven
12-13-2010, 00:23
My apologies for being a bit too brazen last night. I had a few drinks and got carried away. My basic point was that intestinal fortitude and determination are the greatest assets you can have. You can't buy those your local REI.

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 18:58
I may possibly start in February, depends on a few things at home.:-?

beautifulpoetman
01-06-2011, 10:29
It can also snow in April. I've been doing shake down hikes in the snow. It does wear you down. It's also a lot of fun. AND NO BUGS!

Preparation, patience, and persistance: I'm not leaving in february to go faster than seven miles in six hours anyway.

Mother Nature is indeed a humbling old crone. She does the kicking in the nuts, not the other way around. She is also indifferent to the modern mythologies of college graduates. Hypothermia is neither feminist nor patriarchal, politically speaking. It's just Death, that great democratic force!

Too much alcohol has an accretive effect that can kill too.

I hope the conversations (controversial or harmonious) I experience on the trail are as invigorating as the ones I see posted here.

Special-K
01-06-2011, 11:45
A few more dollars in the piggy bank and i will be hitting the trail in the first week of March, I am also not on any time restraint. Hope to meet many new friends, will be starting alone. Trail name is Special-K

Cosmos
01-07-2011, 14:23
Hello all, I will be joining many of you this Feb, planning on Feb. 15, but that is subject to change. Like many of you I have been wanting to hike the AT for years, but have only recently had the balls to drop everything and do it. I have sold my car, quit my job, and will be out of my apt lease in a month. So nothings holding me back and I can't wait to be on the trail. If anyone is leaving on the 15th or soon after let me know, maybe we could take our first steps together. You will probably quickly leave me in the dust though, I am going to be a little slow at first. I have been working out consistantly for a couple years, but have not been doing any cardio since last spring. Hopefully I can get a good jump on my training in the next couple weeks. See ya out there....

Sensei
01-13-2011, 17:32
I finally bought the plane ticket and finalized my plans: I'll be starting on the approach trail on Feb. 20 or 21. I've got some friends that live in the area, so I'm flying in a few days early to chill for a bit before heading out. My start date will likely depend on how the fish are biting. :) Can't wait to meet many of you!

hobbs
01-13-2011, 17:37
Pushing off March 2. If the weather stays down and snowy looks like 15....

Tater1
01-23-2011, 02:54
Starting on March 2nd after a stay at the Hiker Hostel, slow and steady start for me retired and going to have the time of my life on the trail

Tater1
01-23-2011, 02:56
oops looks like I chose the wrong avatar guess I'll change my trail name to wrongway

Gramps
01-25-2011, 18:34
Just curious, has anyone heard of someone that has already started (Jan.25)? I guess one advantage to doing this is if the winter gets too rough, you can always take off for a week or two or three until conditions improve and you'll already have some of the trail under your belt.:-?

Sensei
01-26-2011, 00:56
Just curious, has anyone heard of someone that has already started (Jan.25)? I guess one advantage to doing this is if the winter gets too rough, you can always take off for a week or two or three until conditions improve and you'll already have some of the trail under your belt.:-?

I heard a rumor that someone has already started, but I haven't seen any evidence of it actually being true.

Gramps
01-27-2011, 19:56
I heard a rumor that someone has already started, but I haven't seen any evidence of it actually being true.

Well, if it is true, great big kudos to that someone. Just curious as to how much snow they're encountering.

aquaman1208
01-27-2011, 20:11
Got stuck with big snow in the smokies last year. Seriously thinking about another early start this year but will probably carry snowshoes with extensions and even micro spikes (I really like them). Would mail them back after that but I will never forget postholing down Clingman's last year with my feet slamming against rocks and roots I couldn't see. My shoe size permanently changed from a 12 to a 13 but it was an experience that is forever etched in my mind.
Aquaman

Awol1970
01-27-2011, 20:38

I would think several have. I'm pretty sure two or three started New Years Day.

cboyer1212
02-03-2011, 17:05
Starting Febuary 19, ordered snowshoes just incase weather isnt forgiving at that time. If its pleasant weather then they will get use another time. SO pumped to start! cant wait to be out there seeing some freindly trail people!

chris&kya
02-13-2011, 11:46
I am starting my thru-hike next sat/sun/mon, and have been researching the whole snow issue. I understand that last year many people ran into snow in the smokey's. However, I have been looking at webcams available in gatlenburg, as well as atop one of the mountains in the park. The mountain top web cam, available at the nps page, show no snow at all, on any surrounding mountain. I The weather is well above freezing, and the averages are north of 50.... so how can there be snow on the trail in another 5-6 weeks?

Looking for an answer... I am dumbfounded.

niners
02-13-2011, 12:04
Leaving for the trail tomorrow!:D We'll start hiking on Wednesday!

Brian321
02-13-2011, 13:45
I will be starting on the approach trail on the 19th. I cant wait. Who else is doing the approach?

Brian

PuddleDuck
02-13-2011, 14:19
I am starting on the approach trail the 20th!

Sensei
02-13-2011, 14:57
Also hitting the approach on the 20th! After all these months of planning, it seems a bit surreal that the hike is almost here!

SullyJoe
02-13-2011, 15:29
Hitting the approach trail on the 21st

mikecordes
02-14-2011, 00:28
Mike and NOBODY starting the trail tomorrow....Originally had planned on the 15 th but things worked out better for tomorrow...

walrus5757
02-14-2011, 00:33
Starting the approach trail on the 22nd. See you on the trail...

beautifulpoetman
02-14-2011, 11:23
The weather looks like it will be nice the weekend of Feb. 18th, 19th, 20th.I'm excited. Hope to see some of you. Good luck to all of you!

Sassafras Lass
02-14-2011, 11:50
I am starting my thru-hike next sat/sun/mon, and have been researching the whole snow issue. I understand that last year many people ran into snow in the smokey's. However, I have been looking at webcams available in gatlenburg, as well as atop one of the mountains in the park. The mountain top web cam, available at the nps page, show no snow at all, on any surrounding mountain. I The weather is well above freezing, and the averages are north of 50.... so how can there be snow on the trail in another 5-6 weeks?

Looking for an answer... I am dumbfounded.

Hey man, good luck to you - we're not leaving for another 40 days, getting anxious!

The Smokies has the good possibility of snow up until May. You get freak storms and there is almost always snow well into the first few weeks of April (in my experience, anyways). I check the cameras every week too and I saw snow a few days ago at Purchase Knob (overlooking the field/bald), I would imagine it's still there.

Like I said, I would be prepared for snow well into April - we'll hit the Smokies probably the second week of April and I fully expect snow and drifts and the last of the miserable winter weather.

Rain Man
03-06-2011, 22:22
Hey Triton!

Nice to meet you this evening at Haven's Budget Motel in Franklin, NC! Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan