PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Alternatives

greenmtnboy
10-19-2010, 16:53
I believe that hiking is the best exercise, as many have said, Thoreau wrote an article to that effect, and Gandhi spoke of trying to walk as many miles a day as he could, usually over 10 miles a day.

I have never liked the artificial quality of gyms or fitness centers. But to stay in shape when it is difficult to get to a place to hike, you have to have a program or exercise routine. Any suggestions?

StormBird
10-19-2010, 16:59
the only way to get in shape for hiking is to hike. I'm not sure if you have already thru-hiked and you are looking to stay in shape after trail, or you are planning a thru-hike and you are looking for ways to get in shape for it.

There is no way to get in shape for hiking 10 hours a day, everyday but to do it. I just finished my thru hike a week ago and I'm trying to figure out how to keep the weight off. The solution? Running, weight-lifting, eating more healthy and limiting the amount I eat. Even doing this, I'll still get my ass handed to me if I tried to pull the same miles I used to on trail.

As far as preparing for a thru-hike, the same advise goes. Eat less. Eat healthy and do some sort of cardio. It will make that "break in" period a little less difficult.

Happy trails and good luck on your journey!

Toolshed
10-19-2010, 17:17
Hmmmm...... If hiking is plain ol' walking with a pack, and you think hiking is the best form of exercise, then how 'bout just walking around with a bookbag??:-?:-?

Lone Wolf
10-19-2010, 17:20
running......

max patch
10-19-2010, 17:25
I have never liked the artificial quality of gyms or fitness centers. But to stay in shape when it is difficult to get to a place to hike, you have to have a program or exercise routine. Any suggestions?

I don't either, but when winter comes I'm at the Y.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2010, 17:32
but when winter comes I'm at the Y.

when winter comes i still run on the creeper trail

johnnybgood
10-19-2010, 17:47
, you have to have a program or exercise routine. Any suggestions?
Walkin' out the door and down the block is a great start.
Strap on a backpack with 20 lbs and distance and you've got yourself an exercise program. Buy a pedometer if you're intent on tracking mileage.

Skidsteer
10-19-2010, 17:50

Running. Don't let anyone fool you. Running will get you in shape for hiking, no question about it. If your joints can take it.

You may not like gyms but if you want to continue hiking as you get older, suck it up. People over 40 lose 8 % of their muscle mass every ten years on average.

You do the math.

garlic08
10-19-2010, 18:06
Bicycling.

DapperD
10-19-2010, 18:11
I believe that hiking is the best exercise, as many have said, Thoreau wrote an article to that effect, and Gandhi spoke of trying to walk as many miles a day as he could, usually over 10 miles a day.

I have never liked the artificial quality of gyms or fitness centers. But to stay in shape when it is difficult to get to a place to hike, you have to have a program or exercise routine. Any suggestions?Just develop a good walking routine. They say walking is the best exercise, and it is easier on the joints than running is, and is also easier to do. Add some hills in to the equation to challenge yourself. Also do not overindulge in the food department.

Carbo
10-19-2010, 20:43
Hike the hills. In the gym put the treadmill at "random" and 15% incline, 2.7 mi/hr or less. Pretty close to what you experience on the trail.

Prettywoman0172
10-19-2010, 22:35
when winter comes i still run on the creeper trail

I run all four seasons, too, outside.

Daydream Believer
10-20-2010, 09:21
What hills? I live in Tidewater Virginia. It's as flat as a pancake here. When I go up to section hike I'm going from 60 ft above sea level to 3-5000...I just don't know how to get fit for that either.

I do have a treadmill but it only angles up 10 degrees...not even close to a hard climb on the AT. I've thought of stair climber machines but not sure my knees can take that. I doubt I could do much running either. My knees are torn up from years of that when I was in the military.

I'd love to hear some really good ideas for us flatlander folks. I hate the getting in and out of shape period we section hikers go through. I'm in my late 40's too so I really do know how important staying fit it.

Danielsen
10-20-2010, 09:46
Supplement your flatland walking with squats (weighted if possible). Do high reps with low intensity sometimes, do low reps with greater intensity sometimes, keeping it variable. Not as good as walking hills all the time, but it'll have some benefit.

Toolshed
10-20-2010, 12:46
What hills? I live in Tidewater Virginia. It's as flat as a pancake here. When I go up to section hike I'm going from 60 ft above sea level to 3-5000...I just don't know how to get fit for that either.

I do have a treadmill but it only angles up 10 degrees...not even close to a hard climb on the AT. I've thought of stair climber machines but not sure my knees can take that. I doubt I could do much running either. My knees are torn up from years of that when I was in the military.

I'd love to hear some really good ideas for us flatlander folks. I hate the getting in and out of shape period we section hikers go through. I'm in my late 40's too so I really do know how important staying fit it.
Do you work in an office with stairs? or have access to a tall building? I remember working for a company with 4 stories. I would walk up the back flight - across the top floor (catch my breath) and back down the front flight. The receptionist thought I was loony.

sbhikes
10-20-2010, 12:56
Even flatlanders have overpasses.

FlyPaper
10-20-2010, 13:31

I am mid-forties. Elliptical trainers will help greatly in preparing for hiking. I would suggest at least 4 times per week for several months.

One thing to consider is what are your expectations. If you want to hike like a through-hiker, you pretty much have to hike from Springer to Damascus to get your trail legs. Even through-hikers can start out being out of shape if they're willing to build miles slowly. You don't really have to prepare much if you start slow enough.

I would contend that fitness is more important for most section hiking due to the fact that you're almost always going to be on a tight schedule from day one and whatever fitness improvements you gain from your section hike are not usually realized until after you're off the trail. In that case running beforehand helps a lot if you can do it, but an elliptical trainer will help if you can't run. I've never known a section hiker starting out expecting to walk 25 miles per day. If you're shooting for 10-15 miles per day, the elliptical trainer can prepare most people who are not too overweight.

Other than actual hiking, I doubt any preparation is going to keep you from being very sore when you do hike.

Turtle Feet
10-20-2010, 18:55
P90X - the link is below. If you're not serious about getting into the best shape of your life then save yourself the money, but if you are, there is no better home-based program to get you there.

TF
d29754e6-c280-4671-99ee-6ba676dd1803

Daydream Believer
10-20-2010, 20:09
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out an elliptical trainer for sure. It is frustrating as I do want to be able to do a tough section hike without being in so much pain afterwards.

Sierra Echo
10-20-2010, 20:52
go to beachbody.com and order P90X!!!

leaftye
10-20-2010, 21:22
Got a large set of bleachers nearby? Those things have always provided me with an excellent workout.

RockDoc
10-20-2010, 22:06
I agree, through experience, that running (especially hilly trails and ultramarathons) will prepare you to hike the trail like an animal. Thru hikers had trouble keeping up with my wife and I in GA-NC, called us "uberhikers". We had run trails regularly through the winter. However, after they had been on the trail for 5 months the same people blew us away in the Maine HMW because their speed and endurance had improved a great deal.

However, I would submit that hiking is lousey training for running. I had my worst running year in ages after a major hiking vacation on the AT reduced my running fitness. Within one month you can loose running fitness that took years to build, even while hiking 10 hrs/day! Different muscles and a different type of endurance, I guess.

I agree that running is especially important for section hikers; you can't afford to wait for weeks to get into condition. We've always done "surgical strikes", and hit the trail doing approx 15 mpd (we're in our 50's).

Marta
10-21-2010, 07:08
Whatever exercise you can make yourself do is best. If you can cycle to work--great! Always take the stairs. Sign up for a masters swimming class. Walk four miles in an hour, around town or on a treadmill. Head for the closest steep place and hike every weekend.

Pushing back from the table before you've overeaten is a real winner.

Danielsen
10-21-2010, 11:34
However, I would submit that hiking is lousey training for running. I had my worst running year in ages after a major hiking vacation on the AT reduced my running fitness. Within one month you can loose running fitness that took years to build, even while hiking 10 hrs/day! Different muscles and a different type of endurance, I guess.

Idk, Andrew Skurka seemed to manage transitioning from constant long-distance uber-hiker to running the leadville 100 pretty successfully. ;)

Of course, the pace of an ultra has some things more in common with long-distance fastpacking than shorter, faster trail runs, so that may have made a difference.

Red Hat
10-21-2010, 11:59
Even flatlanders have overpasses.

I live in a pretty flat area of Texas. no overpasses here, so I walk a lot up and down old country roads. That said, my daughter took me to a jazzersize class today. I think I'll try that this winter. I'd love to stay the weight I am just off the trail!

warraghiyagey
10-21-2010, 12:03
Gym . . . . . .

greenmtnboy
10-21-2010, 12:44
Thanks for the feedback on this topic. When I ran a landscape and tree business, my work was my exercise. Walking or running up and down roads is of little interest, most of the hiking places around here are short and limited. There is a local fitness center I checked out that seems to be focussed on natural programs, and the swimming pool is salt water not chlorinated. I have to do something to keep in shape. Push-ups and sit-ups may help, but are not enough.

The A/T backpack experience was the best aerobic exercise I ever had.

mister krabs
10-21-2010, 14:04
P90-x and Crossfit are the ass-kickin'est workouts you can do. Neither require much equipment. Both require serious commitment. A workout partner who is as motivated as you are can be a big asset.

fredmugs
10-22-2010, 11:19
P90-x and Crossfit are the ass-kickin'est workouts you can do. Neither require much equipment. Both require serious commitment. A workout partner who is as motivated as you are can be a big asset.

I'm guessing over 90% of successful thru hikers could not survive the first 10 days of P90X and 90% of those have completed P90X could not survive the first 10 days of a thru hike.

fredmugs
10-22-2010, 11:28
the only way to get in shape for hiking is to hike. I'm not sure if you have already thru-hiked and you are looking to stay in shape after trail, or you are planning a thru-hike and you are looking for ways to get in shape for it.

There is no way to get in shape for hiking 10 hours a day, everyday but to do it. I just finished my thru hike a week ago and I'm trying to figure out how to keep the weight off. The solution? Running, weight-lifting, eating more healthy and limiting the amount I eat. Even doing this, I'll still get my ass handed to me if I tried to pull the same miles I used to on trail.

As far as preparing for a thru-hike, the same advise goes. Eat less. Eat healthy and do some sort of cardio. It will make that "break in" period a little less difficult.

Happy trails and good luck on your journey!

I believe this is the biggest, most repeated lie on WB. You do not have to hike to prepare for hiking.

I am section hiking the AT as a personal challenge - not because I am a hiking enthusiast. I try to do 2 sections and year and I may possibly finish up next year. Day 1 of my section hike in July this year was 24 miles. The section hike I just completed began with 55 miles in 3 days from north of Bennington to Cheshire, MA.

The number of non-AT days I hiked this year: Zero.

I primarily either ride an exercise bike or a real one. My exercise bike workouts are insane and I try to ride a real bike to simulate climbing. Riding the bike has made my knees stronger which has made me a much stronger hiker. Running would probably be better but I don't want to do it.

What you really need to focus on is exercise that involves using your legs and feet for an extended period of time.

leaftye
10-22-2010, 11:50
Biking is great, but you still need something to exercise and toughen your feet if you want to hit the trail without pain. My feet were the most frequent source of pain for me on the trail, but it was my ankle that took me off the trail.

DapperD
10-22-2010, 19:04
Thanks for the feedback on this topic. When I ran a landscape and tree business, my work was my exercise. Walking or running up and down roads is of little interest, most of the hiking places around here are short and limited. There is a local fitness center I checked out that seems to be focussed on natural programs, and the swimming pool is salt water not chlorinated. I have to do something to keep in shape. Push-ups and sit-ups may help, but are not enough.

The A/T backpack experience was the best aerobic exercise I ever had.If you want to do aerobics to lose weight and stay in shape, and you are willing/able to afford to purchase exercise equipment, then you may want to consider a quality ski-machine. Don't know if this is something you would enjoy doing, but the benefits of working out consistently on one are big:http://www.buzzle.com/articles/ski-machine-workout.html

werbitt
10-26-2010, 18:39
I get bored running in the city. So I prefer to bike.