PDA

View Full Version : LL Bean Trail Model Hikers II

SectionHiker2011
10-19-2010, 23:22
Has anyone used the LL Bean Trail Model Hikers II Mid-cuts? I've heard that these are a good budget boot. I know it all depends on fit, but I was wondering if these were worth pursuing. I am gathering some gear for my hike in the spring--I won't be ultralight so I think I'll need good support, but I do like the idea of saving some weight on my feet and having boots that dry quickly. Any first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated. The other boots I'm looking at are:

Tecnica Wasp Mid-cut
Lowa Zephyr
Keen Voyageur Mid

Now I'll just need to get to the store and try some on.

Odd Man Out
10-19-2010, 23:46
Have you considered Merrell Moab Ventilators? I really like mine. They would be similar to the ones you have described. They come in both a low and mid height style, with or without Gore Tex. They have lots of mesh so they dry fast. My current pair is wearing out after a few years of almost daily use. Did a little backpacking in them, but lots of day hikes. Whenever I try on other styles, I always come back to the Moab. The just fit me perfectly. Like wearing pillows on my feet. They are also quite affordable.

4eyedbuzzard
10-19-2010, 23:52
I didn't like the pair of Lowa Goretex low hikers/trailrunners I had. The upper covering wore right off the fabric, the rubber toe guard separated from the upper, etc. Not ruggedly constructed IMO.

I have had great wear, traction, comfort, fit from the LLBean low cut hikers I have. My only complaint is my feet get wet in them and they don't dry as quickly as many. I'd like a pair with Goretex for my next hiking shoe.

Mr. Clean
10-20-2010, 05:00
I wear the Beans mountain treads mid=height on all my hikes around the Whites, and at work. They are the best boot I've tried on my tired old feet.
I also use superfeet insoles. Try on alot of different boots before you settle.

SectionHiker2011
10-21-2010, 21:46
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely look into the suggestions above as well. I figured I'd probably end up needing the Superfeet. If the boots that end up fitting best are more expensive I guess I'll have to go that route, but I hope to start low and work my way up. I've been the uncomfortable/blistered route many years ago so at least I know what NOT to do.

Country Roads
10-23-2010, 19:36
I have used mine on two section hikes. Very comfy. They are a high volume boot. I normally wear a womens 7 1/2 B; I buy my LLBeans in 8 D.
I use an orthotic foot bed and like the extra volume. They seem to be wearing well and I expect to get many more section hikes and hikes around home out of them. I have both the waterproof and the nonwaterproof.
The waterproof are pretty decent, but hot (like many waterproof). I prefer nonwaterproof for long hikes, since eventually your feet will get wet (Murphy's Law of hiking) and they dry faster, although not as fast as some other boots I have used. LLBean has a good return policy too.

jonesat11
10-24-2010, 19:08
I like Merrells. They fit good right out of the box. They will work with you if you have a problem. I blew out a 2 yr. old boot and they replaced it... I've been buying Merrells ever since

SectionHiker2011
10-24-2010, 22:57
Are there any other stores that might sell LL Bean boots? I have an REI nearby so I can try some of the other boots before buying, but I'd like to try the LL Beans too. As of now I'm leaning toward non-waterproof to stay cooler and dry fast. Would the LL Bean's likely match up with the orange Superfeet? How about the other boots mentioned?