PDA

View Full Version : steripen

Fadeway
10-20-2010, 11:05
Which steripen is best suited for the AT Trail?

Roots
10-20-2010, 11:33
You might want to do a search under the word 'steripen' on here. TONS of conversation about it.

Spokes
10-20-2010, 11:35
None of them........... Do what most thru-hikers do and buy some AquaMira.

Doc Mike
10-20-2010, 14:19
Love the steripen, try not to buy into the "chlorine doesn't taste bad theme".

4eyedbuzzard
10-20-2010, 15:08
I have the older Adventurer model that uses 2 x CR123 Lithium batteries. I believe it's a bit lighter than the regular type that uses 4 x AA batteries, but the batteries tend to be more expensive. I usually buy a 12 pack of batteries for $20 - $25 when on sale at LL Bean or I have a coupon that will expire.

I've taken it hiking and on vacations to the Caribbean and never had a problem with it.

Maddog
10-20-2010, 15:50
None of them........... Do what most thru-hikers do and buy some AquaMira. i agree!!!

ChinMusic
10-20-2010, 17:32
If I were to get a new model I would go with the Adventurer Opti. The Opti models do not have the issue of having to keep the contact pins dry. You will have less of a chance of user-error issues with this newer model. With the original Steripen (Steripen Classic) some folks were not diligent at keeping the contacts dry and didn't understand why they were getting error messages. You don't have to worry about this with the Opti.

As others have stated, chemicals work fine. Some others will state you don't even need to treat, but for me it's Steripen all the way on the AT. The Adventurer Opti is very small and light. Carry an extra set of 123 batteries and you are set.

Turtle Feet
10-20-2010, 17:38

Steripen seems to be a love/hate thing. Make sure you save the receipt! :rolleyes:

I have the original model and it's been nothing but inconsistent (and no, it's NOT operator error). I've stopped using it altogether. I'm taking AquaMira as well.

TF
d29754e6-c280-4671-99ee-6ba676dd1803

Spokes
10-20-2010, 17:49
Love the steripen, try not to buy into the "chlorine doesn't taste bad theme".

Yep, some people don't like the taste of chlorine. But why use bleach?

AquaMira uses chlorine dioxide (not the same as chlorine!) the same disinfectant used by major municipal water treatment facilities.

Doc Mike
10-20-2010, 17:57
People who use auqamira probably also drink water treated at major municipal water treatment facilities. For those of us who can tell "city water" by the smell before we even taste it a steripen or filter is best.
My house has spring water and that is by far beter than any "treated water"

Doc Mike

ChinMusic
10-20-2010, 18:06
AquaMira uses chlorine dioxide (not the same as chlorine!) the same disinfectant used by major municipal water treatment facilities.
Like I said, chems are fine. I just do not like the wait issue. I want to be able to drink right away. I do use tablets as a backup.

UV is used by many municipal water treatment facilities as well. The science is solid.

4eyedbuzzard
10-20-2010, 18:29
People who use auqamira probably also drink water treated at major municipal water treatment facilities. For those of us who can tell "city water" by the smell before we even taste it a steripen or filter is best.
My house has spring water and that is by far beter than any "treated water"

Doc Mike
Yeah, I've been on springs and wells for 15 years now. Whenever I go to civilization I can smell and taste the chemicals in the water. Interestingly, most soda and beer bottlers use carbon filtering and UV light to purify their water because chemical purification leaves a bad taste in finished products.

Iceaxe
10-20-2010, 19:42
I am glad this topic was brought up. As a hiker who has had Giardiasis twice on thru hikes, once losing 30 lbs in twenty days, I can say it REALLY sucks. I used Chlorine Bleach in the beginning but got sick of the taste and stopped using anything. Then I got giardiasis. I began using an MSR Sweetwater filter for the rest of that hike and also the rest of the next hike.
I saw the steripen in action once(Hiker Indy) and it seemed a pretty clever and a relatively light weight solution.
I might consider carrying Aqua Mira for the AT this March but being a Californian, I am like totally paranoid about chemicals.. dude.:D
The one thing that is holding me back from going with the steripen is the question of battery use. Forget the solar powered unit.. Christ that thing is heavy.. IMHO.
Manufacturers specs aside..
As far as the battery consumption does anyone have any realworld info about it?
(Secret.. hikers ONLY! The following info is invisible to Lawyers.) One tip I would like to pass on. If anyone is worried about getting Giardiasis on a long trail, You can get the Flagyl AKA Metronidazole without a perscription from pet supply stores online for 9 bucks. It is used to treat Giardiasis in dogs as well as "hole in the Head" disease in African Cichlid fish.
I took this medicine myself on the CDT and it is no different than the human version. Just be sure to have Benedryl on hand as a side effect of the antibiotic Metronidazole is swelling of the extremities in some folks.
I did not say this.. I was not here.(Secret.. Hikers Only!):sun

Doc Mike
10-20-2010, 22:16
Supposedly if you use lithium batteries you can do 100 liters, Real world I don't know because about 50 liters I put in fresh lithium and use the old batteries in flash light or other AA devices. 50 liters should be plenty between resupplies anyway.

Doc Mike

Turtle Feet
10-22-2010, 10:27
www.steepandcheap.com has Steripens at 40% off right now - 14 more mins.

Tenderheart
10-22-2010, 12:02
Does anyone still use good old Polar Pure? It's cheap, it's foolproof, and it lasts forever-well for 2000 quarts.

litefoot 2000

Trailbender
10-22-2010, 14:38

Or do what I did on my thru and use bleach. It's cheaper and does the same thing.

Moose2001
10-22-2010, 14:49
Or do what I did on my thru and use bleach. It's cheaper and does the same thing.

Sorry.....that's just not true! It's one of the most common misconceptions on the trail. Bleach is not an effective way to kill both the Giardia and Cryptosporidium Protozoa. Those are the two biggest concerns for thrus.

Spokes
10-22-2010, 15:28
Moose2001 is correct- Bleach is not effective against Cryptosporidium.

Here's what the CDC says about UV light for water treatment in the backcountry:

"Ultraviolet Light (UV Light) can be used as a pathogen reduction method against some microorganisms. The technology requires effective prefiltering due to its dependence on low water turbidity (cloudiness), the correct power delivery, and correct contact times to achieve maximum pathogen reduction. UV might be an effective method in pathogen reduction in backcountry water; there is a lack of independent testing data available on specific systems. Manufacturer’s instructions must be followed".

ChinMusic
10-22-2010, 16:15
Moose2001 is correct- Bleach is not effective against Cryptosporidium.

Neither is AquaMira as it is commonly used. Who waits FOUR HOURS before drinking?

UV provides nearly instant protection. Turbidity is rarely an issue on the AT. For the rare times that it is (greater than the cloudiness of weak lemonade), that is what the backup MicroPur tablets are for. Been there, done that.

Don H
10-22-2010, 19:15
Nothing beats waiting only a few seconds before drinking from a cold stream instead of waiting 15 minutes or 4 hours. Of course you could drink without treatment and take the chances.

Trailbender
10-22-2010, 20:02
Sorry.....that's just not true! It's one of the most common misconceptions on the trail. Bleach is not an effective way to kill both the Giardia and Cryptosporidium Protozoa. Those are the two biggest concerns for thrus.

No, actually it does. I got water from the same stream a friend did. He got Giardia and was sick as hell for a week. I got nothing. I have also studied chemistry and biology. Bleach will kill that crap dead.

Pedaling Fool
10-22-2010, 20:28
No, actually it does. I got water from the same stream a friend did. He got Giardia and was sick as hell for a week. I got nothing. I have also studied chemistry and biology. Bleach will kill that crap dead.
I don't know if it will or not and really don't care because I don't treat/filter water. But I'm a little curious because I've also heard that bleach won't kill certain micro-organisms.

So if that's true (again I don't know) maybe it has something to do the little amount that is dilluted in the water. In other words could dilluted bleach factor in in how effective or not effective it is at killing certain micro-organisms?

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2010, 20:44
The amount of bleach necessary to reasonably guaranty that giardia cycts are killed would make the water pretty much undrinkable. Temperature, pH, and organic levels in water also significantly effect the effectiveness of household bleach as a water disinfectant.

From the CDC at http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/publications_pages/pubs_faq.htm
Does the SH inactivate giardia and cryptosporidium?

Giardia and cryptosporidium are both protozoa and are resistant to chlorination because they exist in water in a cyst form. The hard coat of the cysts protects giardia and cryptosporidium from being inactivated by chlorine. Cryptosporidium is more resistant to chlorine than giardia. See this inactivation table for more details. Both protozoa, however, are fairly large. Cryptosporidium is approximately 3-5 times the size of the bacteria E. coli, and giardia is approximately 5-10 times the size of E. coli. Cryptosporidium and giardia can thus be removed by filtration. If giardia or cryptosporidium are a significant health problem in the project area, a filtration step (through ceramic, sand, or other filters) can be added before adding the sodium hypochlorite. . . .

Storm
10-22-2010, 23:53
For those worried about the cost of CR123 batteries. I tried these and have had no problems with them.

http://www.cr123batteries.com/

Spokes
10-23-2010, 06:16
Neither is AquaMira as it is commonly used. Who waits FOUR HOURS before drinking?

Hmmm, funny but the CDC says (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/water-disinfection.aspx) chlorine dioxide is effective against all water borne pathogens.

The recommended treatment time for AquaMira is 15 minutes (http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-treatment-drops/BPL_2_Efficacy-of-Water.pdf).

millergear
10-23-2010, 09:17
The recommended treatment time for AquaMira is 15 minutes (http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-treatment-drops/BPL_2_Efficacy-of-Water.pdf).

That's for bacteria & virus. Giardia/Cryto take 30 minutes.

Spokes
10-23-2010, 11:47
That's for bacteria & virus. Giardia/Cryto take 30 minutes.

I'd rather wait 30 minutes than worry about making it tothe next trail town to get a replacement Steripen due to a red-light error or other malfunctions caused by erroneous battery related issues.

Then there was that problem last year (2009) when Steripen units were shutting off prematurely due to the UV sensor not detecting water with low mineral content. One Steripen customer service agent actually advised a fellow hiker I was with to spit in his water or try pouring some Gatorade powder into his bottle to get the thing to work.... BTW, they finally agreed to send him a new one after about 20 minutes of arguing.

To each his own. I'll stick with counting drops.

ChinMusic
10-23-2010, 13:30
Contact issues were totally resolved with the Opti versions. Users no longer have to pay attention in drying the contacts.

Yes, to each his own.

I, and many of my friends, have used Steripen products for years without the "problems" reported by others. I know UV works. I know UV is ultra fast. And I know it is the lightest treatement method (all things considered) that there is......short of not treating at all (which probably works nearly all the time).

FamilyGuy
12-01-2010, 12:21
Despite my qualms about the Steripen in the past (perhaps rightfully so given some of the 'issues'), it appears that the company has worked on fixing these concerns with the new Opti model(s). I might have to give it another shot!

Cherokee Bill
12-01-2010, 20:17
:-? Much of the advertisements I've seen show the user dipping the water container into the stream, then using the "steri-pen"!

What about the neck of the container, will it not hold/contain the nasty-stuff???

Thanks for the info folks!:rolleyes:

ChinMusic
12-01-2010, 21:27
:-? Much of the advertisements I've seen show the user dipping the water container into the stream, then using the "steri-pen"!

What about the neck of the container, will it not hold/contain the nasty-stuff???

If this is a serious question:

Users typically wipe the threads dry, but yes, one could theoretically ingest a tiny number of organisms with this technique. The numbers of organisms potentially involved is not enough for me to use a secondary container and pour the water to the primary afterwards.

4eyedbuzzard
12-01-2010, 21:56

It's a matter of how much (how many) nasty stuff you ingest - not that there are one or two or a few micro-organisms present. You need quite a few of them to make you ill. Giardia, crypto, etc are rountinely present in many water supplies (including "safe" municipal ones), but their numbers are low so you don't get sick. Much like when you hear about fecal coliform levels in pools, lakes, ocean etc. Some degree of "contamination" is always there, just not enough to make you ill.
The steripen's UV light basically scrambles the micro-organism's DNA so they can't reproduce and make you sick. The technology (UV sterilization) is so effective that most beverage companies, such as soda and beer bottlers use UV technology as the final treatment for their water. It works better than filtration and chemical treatment and doesn't affect the taste.

FamilyGuy
12-02-2010, 20:43
Looks like there have been some failures reported in this thread. Now I am on the fence again.

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=832107219;t=9991144356

Bucho
05-01-2011, 16:39
If I were to get a new model I would go with the [SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Adventurer Opti. The Opti models do not have the issue of having to keep the contact pins dry. You will have less of a chance of user-error issues with this newer model. With the original Steripen (Steripen Classic) some folks were not diligent at keeping the contacts dry and didn't understand why they were getting error messages. You don't have to worry about this with the Opti.

The issues that I and a number of other thru hikers have been having are caused by water leaking into the device during use. I can't comment on the Opti but when it comes to the classic I'm really getting the impression from talking to other hikers and outfitters that it really needs better quality control.

Do not get one.

gonesolong
05-12-2011, 17:32
R U referring to the water treatment drops or one of their filter systems? About the taste?

brian039
05-12-2011, 18:00
I've seen too many filters and steri-pens malfunction to ever rely on them. Aqua-Mira is fail-safe and is what you'll find the majority of people using.

PeterB
05-20-2011, 14:10
See rei.com - free shipping if you are a member.

ChinMusic
05-20-2011, 14:55
See rei.com - free shipping if you are a member.

I ordered one late last night. I had field tested the Opti for the company last year. Loved it.

trailangelbronco
05-20-2011, 15:11
I have been Steripen for a few years on all of my hikes and have had absolutely no problems. No issues.

Consider this. Every single bottled water if full of water that was treated by UV light.
Alot of Water districts use UV now.

It works.

Jagglax
06-22-2011, 00:36
I have the Steripen protector which is the military version of the adventurer. I got it from amazon for $50 brand new. Randomly amazon sells the protector for $50 and the journey for $60. It's a killer deal so I would be on the lookout for that