PDA

View Full Version : Best Section Hikes in the AT

Skinnymountaingoat
10-20-2010, 11:33
Hey all. So unfortunately I don't have the time nor the marbles to thru hike the AT, but nonetheless I'm keen to hike a few sections of it.

I've tried doing as much independent research as possible (was considering part of the smokies and the blue ridge), but I figured I should go for some primary testimonies.

Basically I want to do a total of about 10 days of hiking, preferably in atleast two unique locations/ecosystems. In deciding what sections I choose to do I need to factor in climate, ease of access without having my own vehicle, and prettyness :o. I'm not so concerned about resupply, as I've grown used to packing pretty heavy and I don't necessarily mind carrying 5 days worth of supplies. In terms of what I like scenery wise: I like diversity in a hike (a few different ecosystems) but definitely ALTITUDE.

Now I'm sure every inch of the AT has something to offer, and everyone will have a different special spot, but hey, why not stir up a bit of discussion. Any help would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

tiptoe
10-20-2010, 12:04
New Hampshire's White Mountains.

Kerosene
10-20-2010, 12:05
Winding Stair Gap to Davenport Gap (122 miles)
NOC to Hot Springs (137 miles)
Erwin to Damascus (124 miles)
Damascus to Bland (140 miles)
Pearisburg to Glasgow (150 miles)
Dragon's Tooth to Waynesboro (162 miles)
Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry (160 miles)
Hanover to Pinkham Notch (123 miles)
Glencliff to Gorham (101 miles)
Franconia Notch to Andover (116 miles)
Gorham to Stratton (110 miles)
Order is from south to north. I'd probably encourage less experienced backpackers to cover one of the southern sections, with #4 and #6 providing the most sights for the effort. Most of these sections include at least one very high ridgeline or peak which should help satisfy your altitude jones.

Your other challenge will simply be the logistics of getting to and from trailheads.

Cookerhiker
10-20-2010, 12:17
:welcomeWelcome to WhiteBlaze and the world of AT hikers. Given your criteria for diverse ecosystems, high elevation, and 10 total days of hiking, the obvious choices would be the White Mountains in New Hampshire or Maine in the north, and the Smokies in the south. However there are 2 downsides to these options:

1. For the north, you're pretty much limited to the July-mid-October timeframe - if that works for you, then consider:

2. Travel time must be factored in between the 2 sections. At least one full day if you have a car and/or shuttle lined up. More likely, 2-3 days if you're relying on public transportation.

For the Smokies, you need to know your dates and make shelter reservations. If you don't want to deal with that hassle, then southern high-elevation section hikes would be:

1. Winding Stair Gap to Fontana in North Carolina (56 miles)
2. Allen Gap, NC (north of Hot Springs) to Erwin, TN. (53 miles)
3. Erwin to Rt. 19E (47 miles)

For the north, the White Mountains feature spectacular above-treeline walking for miles in an alpine tundra setting. Maine has individual mountains which rise above treeline with nice views plus lakes & ponds and you're more likely to see moose. Be forewarned that the western portion of Maine - while very scenic - is quite strenuous.

Hope you have the time in the States to make this work for you.

Skinnymountaingoat
10-20-2010, 17:55
Geeze guys thanks so much!!!! Definitely given me some further research to do! I'll keep you updated.