PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aether 60

RITBlake
12-09-2004, 01:34
I've been doing a lot of research and reading about packs. One pack I'm very interested in is the Osprey Aether 60. But...most reviews I read say that the bottom straps intended to hold the sleeping bag are very small. If my bag doesn't fit in these straps...what do I do?. Where else can it go.

Does that make sense?

mattyg2
12-09-2004, 02:03
For what its worth, I have an aether 60 that i love and will be taking it with me on my thru next year.

Mine doesn't have any internal straps that you would secure a sleeping bag with (not sure what year).

Do you mean the external straps at the bottom that could hold a sleeping pad? If so, they are more than addequate, and I have even trimmed my a little bit since I don't like the extra straps dangling all over.

Just throw a garbage liner in your pack, throw your sleeping bag in a second liner, and stuff it in the bottom. I have found that its easiest to skip the stuff sack. Just let the bag fill up any loose space in the pack as you fill it. This makes starting in the morning alot easier, especially when you are half asleep or cold.

Matt

NICKTHEGREEK
12-09-2004, 07:35
I've been doing a lot of research and reading about packs. One pack I'm very interested in is the Osprey Aether 60. But...most reviews I read say that the bottom straps intended to hold the sleeping bag are very small. If my bag doesn't fit in these straps...what do I do?. Where else can it go.

Does that make sense?
For internal frame packs as a general rule of thumb, they carry better with everything inside the pack. If you plan on carrying your sleeping bag strapped to the outside you may need either a smaller (more compressible) bag or a larger (more volume)pack. Many (most) packs regardless of frame type have a sleeping bag compartment in the bottom of the pack. There are lots of sites about how to best pack your gear and balance your load and believe me, even the most expensive and perfectly fitted pack will feel like torture if it isn't properly loaded and balanced.

Footslogger
12-09-2004, 11:28

Does that make sense?========================================
If you're interested but don't want to go full price ...I've got a slightly used Aether 60 for sale. I bought it at the outfitters in Harpers Ferry during my thru-hike last year. Carried it to S. Egremont, CT where I switched back over to one of my other packs. It's the green color in a size Medium. There's a little wear on the fabric that covers the hip belt padding. I used a small fanny pack and the strap rubbed against the hip belt a bit. Otherwise it's in great shape. I've got to do a little digging but I'm pretty sure I still have the little manual that Osprey included with the pack.

Reason I'm selling it is that I've developed a huge backpack collection and just can't use them all any more. I've gone to the ULA Fusion pack and intend to stay in the 2lb pack family from now on.

Anyhew ...if you're interested just shoot me a PM or e-mail and we can work out the details.

Alligator
12-09-2004, 11:46

Does that make sense?
Are you talking about the outside loops on the outside near the bottom? I have an older model but I bought the newer pack for my nephew. The position of the loops suggests that a sleeping pad (most likely foam) would go well there. I have carried other items, (tent body), in that position on my other pack. Anything remotely heavy tends to drag the pack down and back at those points. A real light sleeping bag, maybe in the 2 lb range might not be too bad there.

The Will
12-09-2004, 12:03
But...most reviews I read say that the bottom straps intended to hold the sleeping bag are very small. If my bag doesn't fit in these straps...what do I do?. Where else can it go.
I, too, have the same question as other posters. Are you speaking of the external straps at the bottom of the pack? Did you intend to refer to your sleeping PAD going here rather than your sleeping BAG?

If those straps are your option for your sleeping BAG, then it may be to your benefit to look for a larger pack that could accomodate your sleeping bag inside...that or a smaller sleeping bag.

If your concern is that these straps are inadequate for your sleeping pad, then I could agree that they are shorter than most such straps on other packs. A previous poster mentioned that they had no trouble attaching their pad or even their tent to these straps. I myself pack my pad inside the pack and these straps go unused.

If these accomodations don't work for you but you still like the pack than don't let this shortness of straps deter you. Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle could lengthen the straps at a minor cost. (Sorry I don't have a link, but a simple Yahoo search of "Rainy Pass" should get you there). This is a very high quality repair and alteration company that many of the big gear manufacturers (Dana Designs, etc.) send their repair and warranty work to.

Just a side note...I'm very pleased with my Aether 60...good pack.

RITBlake
12-09-2004, 12:42
oops...sorry guys. I read all your posts and I understand now that the external straps at the bottom of the pack are for a sleeping pad. A couple of the reviews I read about the pack called them sleeping bag straps. Sorry the mixup and thanks for the help.

Moose2001
12-09-2004, 15:18
One other thing to think about on the Aether 60, it has a sewn-in hipbelt. One size fits all. I was going to buy it for this coming year until I tried it on. The ends of the hipbelt were almost touching already. There was no way I could of used it on a thru after loosing some weight. Make sure you'll be able to use the hipbelt before you spend your cash.

Dainon
12-09-2004, 15:22
I agree with Moose -- the hipbelt seems to be the weakest link on an otherwise fine pack. I wrote to the customer service rep. at Osprey about the belt and was told that the company will replace the belt for $25.