PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap, GA60

phobos
10-20-2010, 14:57
Doing the section from Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap..

Just curious to see if anyone has parked at Woody Gap / GA60 (N34 40.659, W84 0.000) Its listed in Appalachian Pages 2009 as having a place to park. Just trying to confirm before I leave friday :]

royalusa
10-20-2010, 15:10
There is a very large parking lot at Woody Gap, complete with restrooms (pit toilets, no running water) and picnic tables.

phobos
10-20-2010, 15:16
There is a very large parking lot at Woody Gap, complete with restrooms (pit toilets, no running water) and picnic tables.

Thanks for your quick and detailed response. Greatly Appreciated :D

l0ngterm
10-20-2010, 15:44
I've parked there many times for several days. No problems but it is a well used road crossing and out in the open.

l0ngterm

max patch
10-20-2010, 17:54
I've also parked there on numerous occasions with no issues. However, be aware that this parking area is situated in an area that the local meth heads can do a quick smash and grab. The standard precautions re items of value apply here.

SoFlo
10-20-2010, 18:29
Yes, there is plenty of parking at Woody Gap. As for your trip to Unicoi Gap, be aware that the only sure water resource between Woody Gap and Neels Gap is Lance Creek. I was thur this area last week and the other water resources were dry.

STICK
10-20-2010, 19:16
Huge parking lot and I would say it would be safe. A few of us stayed up on the hill one night on a trip from Amicalola to Neels Gap. We had hiked from Horse Gap that morning to here and then pitched our tents on the soft grass up on the hills (opposite side of road from the restroom).

shoe
10-20-2010, 19:24
Yes, there is plenty of parking at Woody Gap. As for your trip to Unicoi Gap, be aware that the only sure water resource between Woody Gap and Neels Gap is Lance Creek. I was thur this area last week and the other water resources were dry.

There was at Slaughter Creek just before the climb up Blood. You had to walk up the side of the hill a few steps but we filled several bottles from there. This was this past Saturday

Attila
10-20-2010, 20:52
Here is a picture showing part of the parking lot.

phobos
10-20-2010, 21:09
Here is a picture showing part of the parking lot.

Oh wow, that is a big parking lot. Thanks everyone!

phobos
10-20-2010, 21:10
There was at Slaughter Creek just before the climb up Blood. You had to walk up the side of the hill a few steps but we filled several bottles from there. This was this past Saturday

Good to know, I've had some concerns about water.

royalusa
10-21-2010, 16:18
Hiked past Slaughter Creek and Lance Creek today.

As mentioned above, Slaughter Creek has water - just a couple paces off the trail midway up the stairs headed towards Blood Mountain (just past junction of Slaughter Creek Trail). The water at that spot is a "puddle" from the spring source, but big enough for filtering with no issue.

Lance Creek is dry where the AT crosses it, but it is running near the Lance Creek tent pads. Once you cross Lance creek, just go a little further north and you'll see the sign for the tenting area. Head back to the tent pads and take the trail on your right to the water source.

MkBibble
10-21-2010, 22:52
Oh wow, that is a big parking lot. Thanks everyone!
Actually, i think that's just the parking on the north side of 60. there is also parking (about the same amount i think) on the south side. on weekends though, it will fill up.

phobos
10-22-2010, 06:45
Actually, i think that's just the parking on the north side of 60. there is also parking (about the same amount i think) on the south side. on weekends though, it will fill up.

Thanks, we are leaving this morning, I cannot wait to get out there. Be back with a water report.