PDA

View Full Version : Pizza

Mother Natures Son
10-20-2010, 18:11
Is there a way to dehydrate pizza for the trail that is simple, fast and of course, yummy?:banana

Iceaxe
10-20-2010, 19:09
Why bother to dehydrate. I met many hikers who simply carried it out of town and consumed it later without any problems. Miss Information seen here eating pizza brought out of White Pass on the PCT. It was over a day old at this point.:sun

http://postholer.com/journal/images/1100/full-414-11231-IMG_0975_1_

Wise Old Owl
10-20-2010, 22:25
From college days pizza really does have a shelf life, table life, and a 10 day rule......

restless
10-20-2010, 22:29
From college days pizza really does have a shelf life, table life, and a 10 day rule......

Has any slice of pizza ever survived 10 days when confronted by a hungry thru hiker? I suspect no.:D

Oh yeah, lets give it up for the dancing nanas---->:banana:banana:banana

Walkintom
10-20-2010, 22:43
I have always enjoyed pizza the best when it has chilled in the fridge overnight.

The tough part is letting it sit there unmolested that long.....

IronGutsTommy
10-20-2010, 23:56
most impressive, those dancing nanas have perfect choreography. its like watching the Beijing Olympic closing ceremonies

Old Hiker
10-21-2010, 12:59
Has any slice of pizza ever survived 10 days when confronted by a hungry thru hiker? I suspect no.:D

Oh yeah, lets give it up for the dancing nanas---->:banana:banana:banana

I'm sorry - I have to ask: are dancing nanas the same as or better than bouncing tatas?

Besides, why would a hungry thru hiker wait 10 days to decide if a slice of pizza will be consumed or not? Some sort of bizarre religious reason? Not enough bacon? Letting the pizza have the opportunity to get its worldly affairs in order before going to that great Pizza Box in the sky?

Geez, I'm bored.

johnnyblisters
10-21-2010, 14:08
Not quite pizza but it works for me!

Pizza Rice

1/2 cup instant rice
2 Tbsp dried pizza sauce (dehydrate and crumble your favorite sauce)
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp basil or Italian spice mix
1 dash of black pepper
1 dash of red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp parmesan

2 Mozz string cheese sticks
some pepperoni!

Combine everything except cheese and pepperoni into a freezer bag.
Boil about 1 1/2 cups H2O, add enough into bag until all the food is covered, plus a little more. (requires a bit of practice)
Add cheese and pep, enjoy!

I never measure when cooking on trail or off, but this should get you something like pizza. Tweak to your taste buds, eat well!

rgarling
10-21-2010, 15:17
There is a dehydrated product called "I can't believe it's sausage pizza".

If you try it, you won't believe it either.

Different Socks
10-22-2010, 02:24
On the PCT I made pizza from scratch and baked it on my Outback Oven(also baked many desserts). Loved the looks on the other hiker's faces when I pulled that pizza out of the pan!!

As for carrying premade pizza onto the trail: I did it back in 2001 when I revisited a section of trail in Virginia.

On another note, why don't more hikers carry buns, meat/hotdogs/brauts and cheese out of town and eat it the first night? I did this several times when hiking the CDT in New Mexico.

Appalachian Tater
10-22-2010, 05:57
Take two slices and turn one upside down on top of the other so that the crust faces out on both sides and all the toppings are on the inside like a sandwich and wrap in foil or whatever. Carries out quite well.

Appalachian Tater
10-22-2010, 06:00
Oh I just noticed in that pizza-eating photo a bagel sitting on someone's bare, dirty knee on the far right of the pic.

If anyone every needs proof that hikers are not picky about food, that photo would do it.

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2010, 19:01
On another note, why don't more hikers carry buns, meat/hotdogs/brauts and cheese out of town and eat it the first night? I did this several times when hiking the CDT in New Mexico.
I've carried frozen meat (steak and chops) wrapped between two pieces of styrofoam that have kept cold 3 days in the summer. My favorite is lamb chops roasted over an open fire on a long wire fork. Brats, kielbasa, etc. are also great roasted on a stick or long fork over a fire. And most smoked sausage products like those will keep several days without refrigeration of any kind. I'll also carry a potato or two and bake them in the coals, corn does well too. Most fresh food cooks really well in a little tin foil nestled in the coals as well. Not lightweight food - but tasty as hell.

Miner
10-22-2010, 22:09
Make your own as it definitely adds variety to your trail diet. It isn't as good as town pizza, but that rarely lasts past the day you leave town. Combine any kind of Bread product (pitas make for great hotpocket pizza), a tomato leather rehyrdated, cheese (shred to taste), peperoni or sausage suasage (lasts for a couple of days on trail after packaged opened). You can sort of melt the cheese with your stove or a fire with practice (much easier if you have pan or wide pot).

werbitt
10-26-2010, 18:36
I've made pizza in the Brooks Range. You just need flour, yeast, sugar, tomato sauce and cheese. It's easy and really good.

veteran
10-28-2010, 21:08
Pizza Recipe

Boboli 8" pizza crust

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tmUWRRM0L._SS280_.jpg

Mrs Wages Pizza mix (need to add tomato paste or Tomato powder)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mrswages_2127_7837025

Tomato Powder

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/assets/images/default/ZipPouch/ZIPTomatoPowder250x457.jpg

Mozzarella cheese
pepperoni

Bakepacker (used to heat and melt cheese)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/bakepacker_2100_414507