PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hiker robbed in VA

Rambler
10-20-2010, 21:49
An authentic thru-hiker met a hiker who claimed to also be thru-hiking. The two hiked together for two days and decided to share a room at hotel near the trailhead in Daleville, VA. The thru-hiker paid the bill as the other said he would get cash in the morning to pay his share. However, as the thru-hiker showered the impostor stole a wallet, with credit card, debit card and $80 cash, then disappeared

This happened during the week of Oct. 11, was reported to the local police and ATC Headquarters in Harpers Ferry. Apparently something similar had happened near Waynesboro, VA.

The thief was a male using an external framed pack made with cameo colored material. That is the only description given.

This was told to me by the victim, a nice guy, a thru-hiker SOBO from Oregon. Ironically, his trail name is "Easy."

Captain Blue
10-20-2010, 22:01
Wow. What a bummer. Sorry to hear this. Theft is a better word to describe this than robbery.

FlyPaper
10-20-2010, 22:12
An authentic thru-hiker met a hiker who claimed to also be thru-hiking. The two hiked together for two days and decided to share a room at hotel near the trailhead in Daleville, VA. The thru-hiker paid the bill as the other said he would get cash in the morning to pay his share. However, as the thru-hiker showered the impostor stole a wallet, with credit card, debit card and $80 cash, then disappeared

This happened during the week of Oct. 11, was reported to the local police and ATC Headquarters in Harpers Ferry. Apparently something similar had happened near Waynesboro, VA.

The thief was a male using an external framed pack made with cameo colored material. That is the only description given.

This was told to me by the victim, a nice guy, a thru-hiker SOBO from Oregon. Ironically, his trail name is "Easy."

Surprising. To impersonate a thru-hiker, I presume he hiked 20+ miles for two straight days. Either he really was thru-hiking, and happens to also be scum or else he is an ordinary guy (not thru-hiking) who went through extraordinary trouble to steal a relatively small amount.

I generally am much more trusting of people on the trail since I think it is way too much trouble for petty thieves.

Torch09
10-20-2010, 22:43
I'm definately not an expert on such things, but i'm going to speculate that the poor economy has something to do with the recent increase in trail crime. Its a sad day when fellow hikers cannot be trusted.

IronGutsTommy
10-20-2010, 23:47
no matter how cool fellow hikers are to chat and break bread with, i bring my pack into the bathroom with me, i refuse to eat at restaurants or shop at stores that wont allow me in with my pack, etc. when youre out there your packs all you got, which makes it the one and only trail buddy to trust 100%. rather than try to decode signals and decide who is worthy of leaving my pack unattended with, i take it in the bathroom with me. if you dont want to hurt someones feelings when they see you do this, tell em you got clean underwear in there, case closed. poor guy. losing cash is no big deal, but losing a wallet means another hour and a half at the DMV for a new license..ouch.

Rain Man
10-21-2010, 01:08

You spoke with the victim and that's the only description given? Not good!

Rain Man

Wolf - 23000
10-21-2010, 01:15
Rambler,

I know you said the only description you had of the creep was, "male using an external framed pack made with cameo colored material". That of course is not a lot to go on and the chances of the @$$ hole from getting caught are not very good. Could you please see if you can talk to your friend to get a better description to be posted here. I really hate hearing about all these crimes and almost no description of the person. Or better yet, if he has a picture of the thief, post it up. See if we can get this creep off the trail and doing some time where he belongs.

Wolf

Rambler
10-21-2010, 04:30
Yes. "theft" is a better choice of words. Easy had the cash because he had planned to re-supply in Daleville. He had no other description, "non-descript hiking clothes" and the pack. ATC might know more.

When I met Easy he was near 311 at Catawba. He had gotten some food from other hikers, but was staying near Catawba four four days waiting for a new debit card. All he had left was a package of Roiman Noodles. I helped him out a bit, and camped together near Catwaba Mt. Shelter but will not see him again. He told me if the guy had just asked him for some $$, he probably would have given him some.

mweinstone
10-21-2010, 06:36
drugs drove easy rob your ass.

mweinstone
10-21-2010, 06:37
robbing folks while on drugs is what your supposed to do from the drugs point of veiw.

Doc Mike
10-21-2010, 06:59
Sounds bogus to me. Hiked with him for 2 days and can't say white or black or asian, hair color, how tall, trail name, where did he claim to be from etc. Sounds like easy may be scamming some people with this claim hoping people will "help him out". Now I could be completely off base but this is very suspicious. The most basic of all rules is be aware of your surroundings.

Doc Mike

Sierra Echo
10-21-2010, 07:07
You spoke with the victim and that's the only description given? Not good!

Rain Man

I was going to comment on that as well. After spending two days with someone, you would certainly hope a better description could be provided.
What about height, weight and hair color? Thats good for a start!

Pedaling Fool
10-21-2010, 07:50
I was going to comment on that as well. After spending two days with someone, you would certainly hope a better description could be provided.
I was thinking the same thing, but also...If this guy (the victim) is a thru-hiker, then how much did he have to slow down for the other "thru-hiker".

In other words, a thru-hiker that's been over 1,000 miles can usually tell if they are hiking with another thru-hiker that's covered the same mileage. So maybe the theif was a thru-hiker, or maybe....

dcmidnight
10-21-2010, 07:57
Sounds bogus to me. Hiked with him for 2 days and can't say white or black or asian, hair color, how tall, trail name, where did he claim to be from etc. Sounds like easy may be scamming some people with this claim hoping people will "help him out". Now I could be completely off base but this is very suspicious. The most basic of all rules is be aware of your surroundings.

Doc Mike
Unfortunately this was my thought as well. I've hiked with guys for an hour before and I could give you a better description. Race, approximate height/weight, hair color, facial hair, gear description.

Seem to have been a rash of "crime" reports here lately that turn out to be fabricated, not sure why.

StorminMormon
10-21-2010, 08:16
Man, this sucks. I know it was only $80 - but is there anything we can do for this guy (Easy)? Can we send money or gear or something? Didn't know if he needed any help.

FlyPaper
10-21-2010, 10:15
Unfortunately this was my thought as well. I've hiked with guys for an hour before and I could give you a better description. Race, approximate height/weight, hair color, facial hair, gear description.

Seem to have been a rash of "crime" reports here lately that turn out to be fabricated, not sure why.

I just had this same thought. Perhaps if I knew the "victim", I could more easily judge his credibility. Just from what I've read here, it seems at least as likely that "Easy" is scamming people as it is that he was robbed. (If "Easy" happens to read this, sorry if this sounds insulting. If I knew you better, or if more facts were known the credibility factor could change dramatically).

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-21-2010, 10:38

I tend to agree, especially if this guy was hiking 15-20 near or around Easy the trail is not so crowed with sobos that you would think Easy would have gotten to know this guy just a little better before sharing a room with him. Hmmmm

Rain Man
10-21-2010, 10:46

How about a description of "Easy," then?

I hiked in Virginia for 4 days this past weekend and met and photographed a ton of SOBO thru and section and day hikers. But you're obviously giving us nothing to go on.

Rain:sunMan

Serial 07
10-21-2010, 12:39
i mean, he's got an external pack...i'll sit here in damascus and wait for that ol' timer to come around...i mean, an external pack, that shouldn't be hard to spot... : )

M1 Thumb
10-21-2010, 13:01
Without more detail I would have to go with a more likely scenario. Man meets prostitute, prostitute relieves man of wallet. Man being extremely embarrassed falls back to the familiar excuse of being mugged/robbed by a devious criminal.

Rambler
10-21-2010, 15:58
Identifying someone is not as easy as one might think. Try it. Describe someone you both know to a friend and see if he can tell who you are talking about. Try describing someone you hiked with on the trail to someone back home, enough so that the police would know just who that person was.

I just read a book written by a woman who tried to note as much as she could about an assailant who raped her. She did so well she identified him in a police line and he was sentenced to life. 18 years later he was proven innocent by DNA. Wrong guy. (Picking Cotton)

Esay and I talked about hiking in Oregon as well as along the AT. We talked about another thru-hiker we both knew. I was the one who approached him first. He never asked me for any favors. He hung his food in the trees and talked of bears in New Jersey...etc. Hanging around with no money or food is not a great way to spend time. Try it for a few days, maybe you can come up with a better scam.

Toolshed
10-21-2010, 16:36
Well..... hiking for 2 days with another Thruhiker and trying to identify him/her versus being raped and trying to identify him/her are probably the furthest apart you can get. But let's give ID a twirl. So today in Lowes, there was a guy who waited on me. He was about 6'3 or 6'4, about 220 pounds, glasses and between 50 and 60 years old, short brown hair grayish on the sides, wore blue pants, white shirt and a red Lowes vest. Wow and I asked him one question about a fireplace blower.
Just sayin......

northernstorm
10-21-2010, 16:55
Without more detail I would have to go with a more likely scenario. Man meets prostitute, prostitute relieves man of wallet. Man being extremely embarrassed falls back to the familiar excuse of being mugged/robbed by a devious criminal.
exactly. too funny.

Wolf - 23000
10-21-2010, 22:57

Doc Mike

Doc Mike,

You might have a point ... saddly. There are a lot of homeless people that always have a tall tail why they need someone else to give them money. If he did hike with the guy for two days and even agreed to share a hotel together then he should be able to give a better description that a man with a frame pack.

As for keeping up with thru-hikers, well I haven't thru-hike in a number of years but I can still keep up with the average thru-hiker.

Wolf

rickb
10-22-2010, 06:50
If he did hike with the guy for two days and even agreed to share a hotel together then he should be able to give a better description that a man with a frame pack.

He should be able to give a better description?

To whom?

To the police?

To the ATC?

Or to the poster who started this thread?

Not sure how others read what has been posted in this thread, but I am not sure why so many are assuming that the victim didn't provide more info to the authorities.

And any suggestion (in jest or otherwise) that this account could stem from a john getting ripped off by a prostitute is the absolute worst.

TOW
10-22-2010, 08:08
Well..... hiking for 2 days with another Thruhiker and trying to identify him/her versus being raped and trying to identify him/her are probably the furthest apart you can get. But let's give ID a twirl. So today in Lowes, there was a guy who waited on me. He was about 6'3 or 6'4, about 220 pounds, glasses and between 50 and 60 years old, short brown hair grayish on the sides, wore blue pants, white shirt and a red Lowes vest. Wow and I asked him one question about a fireplace blower.
Just sayin......;);););););););););)

Pedaling Fool
10-22-2010, 08:38
As for keeping up with thru-hikers, well I haven't thru-hike in a number of years but I can still keep up with the average thru-hiker.

Wolf
That was my input and I really didn't finish my thought in that post since I got a call and had to leave.

It's not just a matter of keeping up with a thru-hiker, that's just one factor. When I read the OP's post two things immediately came to mind
1. Two days with this guy and the TH can't give a basic description.
2. A thru-hiker with over 1,000 miles is hard for most people to keep up with and this guy supposedly did if for two days. Most criminals are too lazy to go too deep into the woods and this guy is keeping up with a thruhiker:-?

Then I wonder what did they talk about? I know when I met other thruhikers the natural discussion was about the hike...I'm pretty sure I could get a feel if this guy was a thruhiker from talking to him. Not to mention other clues observed if you spent two days with this guy.

That's why I say, IF this is a true story than this thief must have been a thru-hiker (past or present), or at least someone who spends a lot of time on the trail -- that's a dedicated theif. He hiked with him for two days before waiting for an oppotunity, true dedication or an opportunistic hiker.

I don't know maybe the "victim" is one of those type of people that just believes everything people say without comparing it with observation(s), but I'm always "fact checking" (most of us do this) what people tell me if I just met them and going to spend some time with.

Sly
10-22-2010, 14:06
I hiked in Virginia for 4 days this past weekend and met and photographed a ton of SOBO thru and section and day hikers. But you're obviously giving us nothing to go on.

The guy had a external camo pack. That probably narrows it down to one.

Dances with Mice
10-22-2010, 18:41
The guy had a external camo pack. That probably narrows it down to one.And probably a skinny white guy with a beard.

DapperD
10-22-2010, 19:45

This was told to me by the victim, a nice guy, a thru-hiker SOBO from Oregon. Ironically, his trail name is "Easy."Assuming this story to be true, this is really pathetic. Here someone was good enough to "loan" someone enough to help them out, and his kindness is repaid to him by ripping him off. Sad indeed.

no matter how cool fellow hikers are to chat and break bread with, i bring my pack into the bathroom with me, i refuse to eat at restaurants or shop at stores that wont allow me in with my pack, etc. when youre out there your packs all you got, which makes it the one and only trail buddy to trust 100%. rather than try to decode signals and decide who is worthy of leaving my pack unattended with, i take it in the bathroom with me.Unfortunately, it appears this is beoming more and more the order of the day.. I believe that unless I really were to know people or peoples, I would follow these exact same principles. I know how long I spent ordering and compiling items for a thru-hike, and how much I spent, and I would definately not leave my pack anywhere unattended except possibly in a locked motel room, and even then I don't know if that would be wise/completely safe:-?.

Sierra Echo
10-22-2010, 20:01
The guy had a external camo pack. That probably narrows it down to one.

I take it you have never been to GA!

chief
10-22-2010, 20:23
And any suggestion (in jest or otherwise) that this account could stem from a john getting ripped off by a prostitute is the absolute worst.I agree, to stereotype prostitutes in that way is pretty low down!

Sierra Echo
10-22-2010, 20:32
I agree, to stereotype prostitutes in that way is pretty low down!

I agree! Prostitutes get no respect!

TOW
10-23-2010, 07:29
I sure would like to find out what this chap looks like so that we can be on the look out for him here, but as I sit here and think about it I thinks I will contact ATC and get the lower down on it just to see if this really happened, then I will stow my camo pack away........

Trailweaver
10-24-2010, 00:05
Well I've hiked a fair number of times and I've never seen an external frame/camo colored pack. Being in GA doesn't necessarily follow that we all have dated packs.

I should think the authorities could maybe have put some folks on the trail at various road intersections and just picked up the one who came through with that pack.

Smile
10-24-2010, 10:03
The camo pack might be a giveaway, but probably not this time of year - don't think the state of GA has anything to do with it.....I just saw these ext. frame packs in Cabelas up north a few days ago, and on their site there are about 5 external frame models listed as well http://www.cabelas.com/frame-hydration-packs.shtml

Sorry this happened to someone :)

Spokes
10-24-2010, 10:31
I agree with Rambler and Wolf- 23000 this incident is a larceny (theft) not a robbery. I cringe when people intermix the terms.

So what's the difference between larceny and robbery?

Robbery is the act of taking property away from its owner through the use of violence or intimidation. Typically a weapon or threat of a weapons use is involved. Not the case here.

Wolf - 23000
10-24-2010, 15:05
He should be able to give a better description?

To whom?

To the police?

To the ATC?

Or to the poster who started this thread?

Not sure how others read what has been posted in this thread, but I am not sure why so many are assuming that the victim didn't provide more info to the authorities.

And any suggestion (in jest or otherwise) that this account could stem from a john getting ripped off by a prostitute is the absolute worst.

Well the original post by Rambler said esay describes the individual as a man with a frame pack. That is extreme weak description. Even posting the guys name or what he called himself would be of some help. If I was looking for someone, I would at least ask, "Have you seen xxx?" That is human nature.

I'm not saying it didn't happen. My point was more let's do everything we can to get the bad apples off the trail and into the proper law enforcement hands.

Wolf

Toolshed
10-24-2010, 16:02
Eureka/Camp Trails for years made a camo (Note not CAMEO) external frame pack, called the Moose Pack. It was deeply discounted for the last few years as it was discontinued by Eureka/Camp Trails about 4 years ago.

4Bears
10-24-2010, 17:57
There is an "EASY" on trailjournals.com at about the right area but his journal hasn't been updated since October first, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Sly
10-24-2010, 18:56
I take it you have never been to GA!

No, but I've been to RU once. ;)

jonesat11
10-27-2010, 12:58
I met Rick Easy in Glasgow Va. when all this was happening. I helped Rick out by taking him to breakfast once and gave him food twice. He had made out a police report in Glasgow and had made many friends in town. Rick seemed like a very smart and likeable guy. I wish him the best on getting back to his home state of Oregon where he told me he is actively employed in some sort of social work. His brother from New Hampshire was going to send him money but he needed an ID to board a plane. Confusion was created while trying to get his debit card and a copy of his state issued ID which required an electronic transferred finger print. He said there was a cost of $70 to get this done which compounded his problems since he had no extra money from what his brother was supposedly sending to him. I just missed him hiking at Matts Creek Shelter on my return hike to Glasgow from The Dragons Tooth. He talked with The Hit Man and a few others at Matts Creek Shelter.
A few things bothered me about our encounter:
He didn't have a very good description of the person who ripped him off, "a typical hiker, beard, sort of longer hair, cameo backpack". After spending a day of two on the trail with someone, you'd think he could supply a better description. When I asked him about it, he sort of just laughed it off.
Also if his brother was wiring him cash, why didn't that solve the problem?
I didn't give him any money and feel bad that I didn't. We all want to try to help anyone in need on the trail.
hikerbob from the Florida Trail Ocala Chapter

Special thanks to attroll

Sierra Echo
10-27-2010, 13:28
No, but I've been to RU once. ;)

whats RU?!
rhode island university? LOL

Rain Man
10-27-2010, 15:34
whats RU?!
rhode island university? LOL

Based on WWW URL extensions, and some of the spam and pfishing attempts I get hit with, my bet is on Mother Russia. :(

Rain:sunMan

vamelungeon
10-27-2010, 16:19
Eureka/Camp Trails for years made a camo (Note not CAMEO) external frame pack, called the Moose Pack. It was deeply discounted for the last few years as it was discontinued by Eureka/Camp Trails about 4 years ago.
I own and use an internal frame camo backpack. It was on sale at an incredibly low price.

jayboo
10-27-2010, 19:15
Assuming this story to be true, this is really pathetic. Here someone was good enough to "loan" someone enough to help them out, and his kindness is repaid to him by ripping him off. Sad indeed.

Unfortunately, it appears this is beoming more and more the order of the day.. I believe that unless I really were to know people or peoples, I would follow these exact same principles. I know how long I spent ordering and compiling items for a thru-hike, and how much I spent, and I would definately not leave my pack anywhere unattended except possibly in a locked motel room, and even then I don't know if that would be wise/completely safe:-?.

I am in shock kinda right now, I just saw a hiker walking in town and so I picked him up and was going to take him back to the trail, when it turns out it was easy, I brought him to my house for about 30 or 40 mins he literally has nothing he had about a dollar of change in his pocket. In the story he told me he was he met the guy on the trail hiked with him for a day and then they got a room together he said he thought nothing of it. Just like the story played out he took his wallet and jetted. Crazy! I brought him over gave him some food and got him some cigs talked to him about planning my thru-hike, he was an extrmely nice guy by the way, and I literally just got back from taking him to the trailhead. He also said that he is not really one to call the cops, but he does want the word out. He has of course contated the ATC and several hostels to let them know. In a sense he said that he just wants the guy to know how this feels one day, which he will karma is a bitch. But anyway he came over saw my house met my dog and I took him back up. His plans as of now are heading the Waynesboro, VA, working for a few days and somehow trying to get up to New Hampshire where his brother lives. He was going to fly out of GA but with no ID it does not work to well. His brother was going to spot him enough to get the ticket but with no ID they wouldnt let him have it. The man whom stole his money will know how it feels one day, but i tried to put of Easy the best way I could. He seems to be doing ok, it is better to be robbed then shot. Also reguarding the look of the thief, easy said he does not know how to describe him, he looked just like any other hiker, beard, smells, etc. But also Easy told me how gracious and willing people in the AT community are to help, he told me that if I ever needed anything just ask people they will help you, and if they cannot help you then they will point you in the right direction. He is a good man and I know that things will work out well for him.

-Jay Boo "Jacob Bouchelle":banana

jayboo
10-27-2010, 19:16
sorry about spelling and grammer, i was had it all rushing through my head!:D

-jay boo

Doc Mike
10-28-2010, 06:53
Man this guy is good. Ask yourself these questions?
1. Why does the story vary? reported to police, doesn't like police, hiked one day or two. etc
2. If his brother sent him money for the ticket that he couldn't get why is he bumming food now instead of using that money for food.
3. Without an ID he could have rode a bus on said money and been in new hampshire.
4. Where is the rest of his money was he expecting to complete the trail on what he was carrying only? If its in a bank it can be wired to any other bank and picked up.

Everyone wants to help those in need but to continue to enable a scam artist doesn't help the trail community.

Doc Mike

J5man
10-28-2010, 14:13
Jayboo, my parents were driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway north of the Peaks of Otter and encountered him at a lookout spot about a few hours before you apparently (he was walking on the parkway north to Waynesboro). He basically told them the same story as on here. Was a very nice guy and knowledgeable of the trail they said. They gave him some water and snacks but he did not ask for money. I don't really know what to think of it all. No one has been harmed evidently but doesn't hurt to be cautious. I wish him well and all those who encounter him. Be safe, be smart.

jayboo
10-28-2010, 14:22
Jayboo, my parents were driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway north of the Peaks of Otter and encountered him at a lookout spot about a few hours before you apparently (he was walking on the parkway north to Waynesboro). He basically told them the same story as on here. Was a very nice guy and knowledgeable of the trail they said. They gave him some water and snacks but he did not ask for money. I don't really know what to think of it all. No one has been harmed evidently but doesn't hurt to be cautious. I wish him well and all those who encounter him. Be safe, be smart.

He told me of your parents, he said he had recieved some trail magic earlier in the day. He did not ask me for a thing I just saw a fellow hiker and wished to give him a ride back and then he told me his name and I was like wow I have been reading about you for the past day on the fourm so i offered him a few things though he wouldnt take much. He really was a genuine guy.

-Jay Boo

jonesat11
10-28-2010, 20:55
I forgot to mention one fact that Rick Easy said about his hike. His son was killed by a drunk driver a while ago and was taking six months off work to hike the trail as a tribute to him. I think he and his son hiked together and possibly his son hiked part of the AT. I can't think of a better way to take some time off and get your head straight.

His tent was on it's last leg with duck tape all over and food bag had some holes in it. But could these be a front also, hard to tell. Maybe we should take his word...
hikerbob

jayboo
10-28-2010, 20:57
I forgot to mention one fact that Rick Easy said about his hike. His son was killed by a drunk driver a while ago and was taking six months off work to hike the trail as a tribute to him. I think he and his son hiked together and possibly his son hiked part of the AT. I can't think of a better way to take some time off and get your head straight.

His tent was on it's last leg with duck tape all over and food bag had some holes in it. But could these be a front also, hard to tell. Maybe we should take his word...
hikerbob

you are correct and I agree. He said it was his sons dream to hike the AT, and a respect what he has done in his honor.

-jay boo

Lugnut
10-28-2010, 23:03
I think this guy (Easy) is a complete snow job trying to mooch his way down the trail. He wouldn't be the first one.

Pedaling Fool
10-29-2010, 09:41
I think this guy (Easy) is a complete snow job trying to mooch his way down the trail. He wouldn't be the first one.
The stories of this guy's son does pluck...but in the end Lugnut is probably right and maybe it's all just made up.

There was no real description of this "theif", but he did say he had a very unique backpack, surely someone else would have seen him, but no reports.

Case closed.

WILLIAM HAYES
10-29-2010, 20:40
I dont buy it-sounds like a good con job to me

Brass Rat
11-02-2010, 08:22
I am in shock kinda right now, I just saw a hiker walking in town and so I picked him up and was going to take him back to the trail, when it turns out it was easy.

Jayboo, what kind of pack was Easy carrying?

We ran into a sort of sketchy character earlier this month between Kimberling Creek and Wapiti shelter, was trying to bum smokes & food from everybody. Some folks said he went by the trail name "Heavy Metal". I keep wondering if this guy fits into the story somehow.

Brass Rat
11-02-2010, 08:24

We ran into a sort of sketchy character earlier this month between Kimberling Creek and Wapiti shelter, was trying to bum smokes & food from everybody. Some folks said he went by the trail name "Heavy Metal". I keep wondering if this guy fits into the story somehow.

Sorry, I meant earlier in October.

TOW
11-02-2010, 08:51
or the first to have a similar story........

TOW
11-02-2010, 08:59
Since 2007 I have been offering my phone, my food, and sometimes one of my rooms for hikers. For the most part I have had good encounters. But if I ever meet this Easy guy and he tells me his story as it is described here I will most likely be on my guard because I have heard some whoppers, even fell for a couple of them.

I just don't buy his story....

Whether his story is fact or fiction, and for those of you who have helped him, continue to help others no matter what their story is. It will come back to you in ways that you would not have ever comprehended. That's what I do, I do not care what my past experience is with anyone, if I feel a "need for me" to reach out to another I do it.......

Many Walks
11-02-2010, 11:39
I think if I had lost what he claims he did, I would hold up in the next town (or just outside in a shelter or camp spot) until I could replace my cards and funds to continue. I certainly wouldn't keep heading up the trail trying to yogi my way. I don't know if Easy's story is real or not, but there is a lot about it that doesn't add up.

There is something here to take away for the rest of us. Hundreds of hikers share rooms and hostels every year with strangers and it's simple to get pics of the folks you're with and to take your wallet and camera with you at all times unless you have someone to watch them who you know can be trusted. A little common sense goes a long way.

I'll add, with the funds replenished I'd most likely shuttle ahead and walk back to reclaim my gear and repay him for all the trouble.

Gray Blazer
11-02-2010, 14:09

Basically a homeless guy. I'm surprised you actually saw him between shelters. He has got some strange stories.

Brass Rat
11-02-2010, 14:23
Basically a homeless guy. I'm surprised you actually saw him between shelters. He has got some strange stories.

He was on the move NOBO. He had been at Jenny Knob shelter, the next morning (early) he passed us at Lickskillet Hollow. Said there was no water at the shelter but up on top there was a rushing waterfall (of course there was no such thing). We passed him again at Kimberling Creek, where he was planning a detour to Trent's Store for tobacco. A bunch of other folks later encountered him at Wapiti shelter. Strange stories seemed to be the order of the day.

c4jc88
11-02-2010, 23:12
Interesting I hope he has moved on since i plan on starting in Damascus on Sunday and hiking N to Pearisburg....

TOW
11-03-2010, 08:06
Now that all these new reports have come to light then I would say it would be best that if you encounter him to tell ask him, "Why all the lies, what are you running from?"

Gray Blazer
11-03-2010, 09:15
If it were me I wouldn't say anything to him. Even eye contact seems to be an invitation to some people to become anal expulsive on you.

jayboo
11-03-2010, 10:22
He had his raincover on so I did not know, but whatever it was it had to be 5000 cu in plus it was big bag.

jayboo

J5man
11-03-2010, 20:11
He had his raincover on so I did not know, but whatever it was it had to be 5000 cu in plus it was big bag.

jayboo

That matches with my parents story. He told him his bag weighed like 50lbs or so and they said it had a raincover on it.

TOW
11-04-2010, 07:37
That matches with my parents story. He told him his bag weighed like 50lbs or so and they said it had a raincover on it.then how in tarnations did he know it was a camo pack?

Pedaling Fool
11-04-2010, 07:43
then how in tarnations did he know it was a camo pack?
I think they're talking about Easy's (the "victim's") pack.