PDA

View Full Version : how to handle cash on the thru hike???

Iron Will
10-20-2010, 23:44
i have 3k CASH set aside, dont have a bank card/ account WILL NOT GET ONE!!

and wondering about suggestions of carrying CASH on the trail

i have had some thoughts but was hoping for some wisdom from thru hikers before me
THANK YOU

my ideas etc:
dont plan on carrying wallet cause of weight and not liking things dangling in pocket while hiking

get money orders from the post office in 500$ increments then cash as i hike??

Lone Wolf
10-20-2010, 23:47
http://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/dom/us/en/personal/cardmember/additionalproductsandservices/giftcardsandtravelerscheques/travelerschequesandforeigncurrency.do?vgnextoid=6d 17fc671492a110VgnVCM100000defaad94RCRD

IronGutsTommy
10-20-2010, 23:53
yeah or get a prepaid debit card. its as good as cash yet less bulky, no paperwork to fill out, etc. easy peezy lemon squeezy

StormBird
10-20-2010, 23:55
yeah, you can put money onto a "gift card" that works like a credit card. When it runs out, that's it. Nothing to sign up for or anything like that.

Iron Will
10-20-2010, 23:57
are the shops and towns i come across gonna openly recieve travelers cheques or debit cards, i kinda like the idea of cash incase i run into cash only but feel like i should look into these suggestions cause of the safety if lost or stolen as well as compactness

IronGutsTommy
10-21-2010, 00:02
pretty much all places will take debit. at least all grocieries do and allow cash back of at least 20 bucks, enough to get food at the odd restaurant that may not have joined the modern era yet. i suggest you put all but 100 dollars on a card, then you got the emergency cash in case you accidentally hike 88 miles an hour and end up back in 1955 or resupply in the twilight zone. if you ever need to break into that cash (i doubt you will) simply get cash back at resupply stores to replenish your emergency fund.

Johnny Thunder
10-21-2010, 00:03
you're going to have a hard time finding travelers checks to begin with. most places won't cash them...even banks. too high a risk of counterfeiting.

IronGutsTommy
10-21-2010, 00:05
yeah cards the way to go prepaid visa or such

Dogwood
10-21-2010, 01:34
Forget the prepaid gift cards with their limitations, prepaid debit cards, Money Orders and their extra fees and having to find locations to cash them or those who will accept them along the trail somewhere, prepaid visa cards, travelers checks(oh boy!, don't do that, you are in the U.S.), wire transfers(Western Union, MoneyGram, etc), or carrying large sums of cash on the trail.

What currently works for me and is really quite simple is to open a free(when you open on-line!) no minimum balance required personal checking account from BOA(Bank of America). There is a a small minimum to open and start the account(less than $100) but after that you don't have to maintain a minimum balance to keep the account open. They give you a free debit visa card with the account that you can use to access your cash. I have not even ordered checks for this acct and don't use this account for my primary bill paying by check. I only opened the FREE acct for the use of the debit card while hiking. The money is taken directly out of my BOA checking acct. I can use the debit card at any ATM to get cash. If the ATM isn't at a BOA branch I get charged a $1.50 - 2.50 withdrawl fee. To bypass the withdrawl fee I don't normally get cash at an ATM not at a BOA branch or when using my debit card at a grocery store or U.S. Post Office to make payment I choose the option of getting cash back. No additional charge when you access your cash along the trail that way. And, all my acct info is easily accessible on line. JUST DO NOT overdraw your acct or else you entail steep fees!!!

If BOA isn't currently giving this offer look for a bank in your area, or at least one in the area where you will be hiking, for a similar offer! This way you have the additional option of accessing your acct, and cash, by walking directly into your bank's branches along the AT when you stop in town!

CrumbSnatcher
10-21-2010, 07:38
http://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/dom/us/en/personal/cardmember/additionalproductsandservices/giftcardsandtravelerscheques/travelerschequesandforeigncurrency.do?vgnextoid=6d 17fc671492a110VgnVCM100000defaad94RCRD
this is what i carried in the past, also post office money orders.(if a family member or friend wanted to send me some money)
some banks charge 1 dollar per 100 dollors in checks. not all banks charge a fee.
and the T. checks are replaced if lost or stolen.I NEVER EVER had a problem cashing checks along the trail! i carried mostly 50.00 checks and some 20.00 checks. have a great hike!
i used to bitch about all the fees with bank cards,(some banks don't have the excessive fees) but i used to bitch about cell phones on the trail too, til i borrowed one in Stratton ME. because they removed all the pay phones in town :)

fiddlehead
10-21-2010, 07:47
Travelers checks and money orders can get wet and unreadable.
I always carry about $1,000 cash
I have sewn a secret compartment in my pack and carry a money belt in towns with the money.
The compartment even fooled the customs inspection at an international airport already.

Then have someone mail you another $1,000 when you need it with Post Office money orders and cash them right away.

Good luck and have fun.
Don't be scared, just careful with your cash.

CrumbSnatcher
10-21-2010, 07:54
never had a problem keeping my t checks dry! but i usually would cash the post office money orders right away,since i was already in the post office. but you can pick up a maildrop with you p.o. money orders in it and cash them at any post office along the way if not wanting to cash them right away? hope all is well fiddlehead

allwen
10-21-2010, 08:34
We are coming from Australia, and we have a Travelex Cash Passport. You can reload it with cash through a multiple of places, use it like a credit card but it is your own money and you can't go into debt with it.

Slo-go'en
10-21-2010, 10:52
Yes, trying to use Travelers checks now days is a real problem. Last time I tried to use them it was nothing but greif.

The best bet is to start a checking account and get a debit card and carry $100 or so in cash for hostels and other places which don't or are relucant to take a card.

FlyPaper
10-21-2010, 12:05

and wondering about suggestions of carrying CASH on the trail

i have had some thoughts but was hoping for some wisdom from thru hikers before me
THANK YOU

my ideas etc:
dont plan on carrying wallet cause of weight and not liking things dangling in pocket while hiking

get money orders from the post office in 500$ increments then cash as i hike??

I sympathize with the desire for cash. One downside to consider is handling change. If something cost $23.14 you will get 86 cents in change to deal with.

The Solemates
10-21-2010, 12:09
mail cash to yourself along the trail. thats what we did. we only put $20 into each of our drops so if it got lost it wasnt a totally big deal. BUT, we USPS never lost a single one, and we had 17 of them.

CrumbSnatcher
10-21-2010, 13:12
i never worried about the weight of change,i'd leave the pennies behind, but the rest i would spend or change into dollar bills before leaving town or carry it out. i found alot of change in shelters too over the years,and bought many a soda thanks to others:)

TheYoungOne
10-21-2010, 15:19
Travelers checks and money orders can get wet and unreadable.
I always carry about $1,000 cash
I have sewn a secret compartment in my pack and carry a money belt in towns with the money.
The compartment even fooled the customs inspection at an international airport already.

Then have someone mail you another $1,000 when you need it with Post Office money orders and cash them right away.

Good luck and have fun.
Don't be scared, just careful with your cash.

I think this is some good advice. I think a combo of a money belt, a stash in your pack (you don't have to get too fancy with a secret compartment, how about a ziplock stuffed in with your TP roll), an maybe a prepaid credit card should do the trick. Like other have said, don't take pennies, to save weight.

Since your not taking a wallet, were are you going to carry your ID?

StormBird
10-21-2010, 18:42
If you carry large amounts of cash, I would not keep it in your pack. Keep it on you at all times. No thru-hiker is going to mess with your stuff, but people from town might. I had a friend on trail get his pack stolen while he was sleeping and if his wallet had been in there, it would have been GA->ME over!

Panzer1
10-21-2010, 18:49
carry your cash in some kind of money belt. never take it off. never.

Panzer1
10-21-2010, 19:11
also, if you have a large wad of money do not let anyone see the entire wad.

do not keep your cash in a zip lock baggie.

Doctari
10-22-2010, 15:23
I'm sure it has gotten worse since my last AT hike 3 years ago. But I (& my non hiking wife) took Traveler's checks, OMG was that a PITA. EVERY TIME I used them I had to: Explain (usually 2 - 3 times) what they were, then teach the clerk how to use them. Twice I was refused. I now carry a Pre Paid MC & Visa & so far have had NO problems yet. Basically, if the store / business takes credit cards, they take the Pre Paid ones just as well. I think the fee is about $8.00 a month each card, & the start up fee was $10.00 or so.

My wife who wasn't hiking, had similar problems "In civilization" (Charlotte NC & surrounding area, a "tourist area") with the TCs. Her words: "Never EVER again, will I use those d***n Traveler's checks!". We ended up taking the ones we had left over back to the bank we got them from & cashing them in there. That was the only time the transaction for either of us went easily.

The only gift card I have ever used was from American Express, about 1 in 9 places I have tried to use it accepted it. I have never used a Debit card.

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2010, 18:44
Small Post Offices won't be able to cash $500 Money Orders. They don't have that much cash on hand. I'd suggest no larger than $100 and even then don't go in early in the morning especially on a Saturday.

DapperD
10-22-2010, 19:19
yeah or get a prepaid debit card. its as good as cash yet less bulky, no paperwork to fill out, etc. easy peezy lemon squeezy

yeah cards the way to go prepaid visa or suchI think I would also consider this. There are some extra charges involved I believe however, but overall I think this would be a safer way than carrying large sums of cash:http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/visa_travel_money_faq.html And I too also heard that problems exist with American Express travelers checks, such as when getting them wet, etc...that the print can become damaged, etc...Maybe have a combination of a pre-paid Visa, regular credit -card (assuming someone back at home to pay the monthly bill) and some cash.

chief
10-22-2010, 19:48
Without a bank account, how the heck are those creditors, tax collectors, ex-wives, child support agencies, etc. supposed to get their money? No matter, put the entire 3k in your pack and be sure to tell us when and where you're starting.

Dogwood
10-22-2010, 20:00
Since I opened my FREE BOA personal checking account 8 months ago online I am yet to be charged One (1) single fee, FOR ANYTHING, have ANY issue using/charging my FREE Visa debit card issued on my FREE BOA personal checking account anywhere in the U.S, or be denied access to my cash at anytime with my FREE BOA checking acct. Can you say the same thing about NOT incurring fees with the other options presented?

One other thing I didn't mention earlier is that my brother, who also has a BOA personal checking account, can transfer funds from his BOA account directly and FREE of charge into my BOA personal checking account ON-LINE or BY-PHONE VERY SIMPLY without a hassle. The transferred funds are IMMEDIATELY available in my account. This might prove useful if the OP wants to have someone he trusts periodically transfer allotments into his account while on trail rather than having to open an account and place his entire $3000 into that account. Might be able to make some interest on the unused portion of that $3000 as the OP hikes and isn't needing/using/accessing ALL of those funds. Could also look into an interest bearing checking acct too which might be financially wise.

Trailbender
10-22-2010, 20:05
Cash is obsolete and inefficient. Just get a free checking account with a debit card. I did run into a few Stone Age businesses along the trail that did not take cards. Some store in Unionville and an ice cream shop in Andover.

chief
10-22-2010, 20:59
Some of you guys must have missed Iron Will's first sentence. For whatever reason, he is not interested in cards or accounts, thereby painting himself into a corner.

I'd go with USPS money orders, except in a variety of smaller increments. It'll cost more to buy many smaller MOs, but there should be a better chance the more rural POs will have the cash on hand. BTW, keep the receipts separately, you'll have at least a fighting chance of getting your money back in case of lost or ruined MOs.

kayak karl
10-22-2010, 21:12
i ware it around my neck. duck tape wallet. its water proof.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2163/2987095575_f1dd23cca4_b.jpg
TRUST NOBODY!!!

4eyedbuzzard
10-23-2010, 13:19
i ware it around my neck. duck tape wallet. its water proof.
And more stylish than a ziplock.

Panzer1
10-23-2010, 14:00
some hotels/motels only accept credit cards.

Panzer

DapperD
10-23-2010, 19:48
some hotels/motels only accept credit cards.

PanzerThis is true. Also in order to rent a car you will need one. I still think carrying large sums of cash in not really best nor necessary. I think a combination of a prepaid Visa, regular credit card and cash would be a good decision. If one desires to only carry cash, then something like a money belt (which will still be used as something necessary so no extra items) could be used, but in my opinion a combination of cards and cash is best:-?.

skeeterbait
10-24-2010, 16:13
Just want to mention that no matter how you go about it, it's a good idea to have more than one way to get cash. I warned a friend to have more than one ATM card, he didn't, and a machine in Waynesboro ate his card (more machines work by swiping now, so maybe that's not such a big deal).

skeeter

4eyedbuzzard
10-24-2010, 16:44
Just want to mention that no matter how you go about it, it's a good idea to have more than one way to get cash. I warned a friend to have more than one ATM card, he didn't, and a machine in Waynesboro ate his card (more machines work by swiping now, so maybe that's not such a big deal).

skeeter
The magnetic strips on cards can get damaged as well which is why it's always better to have more than one.

VTK8
10-24-2010, 18:12
I sympathize with the desire for cash. One downside to consider is handling change. If something cost $23.14 you will get 86 cents in change to deal with.

And then you can buy a candy bar! Or, leave the change where someone can find it. Ever see a little kid find a whole quarter on the ground? For a brief moment, it's better than magic, ice cream, and puppies all rolled into one.

Trailbender
10-30-2010, 13:42
The magnetic strips on cards can get damaged as well which is why it's always better to have more than one.

Cashiers can manually input a card using the numbers. Even with the strip damaged, it is not a big deal unless you need to use an ATM.

Walkintom
10-30-2010, 17:56
I believe that using prepaid visa/mc could be a good way to handle your cash while on the trail though I would be leery of having all the cards on me at once for the same reasons I would not want all my cash on me at once.

However, if you have someone who will send them out in mail drops...