PDA

View Full Version : big agnes copper spur UL1 vs tarptent Rainbow

Iron Will
10-21-2010, 02:11
mmk so i have a eureka spitfire 2

want to buy a new tent and drop weight, with these observations i have made from my current tent i have come up with the battle btwn the rainbow or the copper spur

current tent has no vestibule, i want one for boots etc..
current tent is not truly free standing, this can be a PAIN in certain spots along the AT that have a TON of rock in the soil or makes it impossible to put up tent ON a rock

i understand there are some smaller lighter models out there than these two but im a big guy and recently stayed in what seemed no better than a bivy and felt really crammed so a bit of space would be nice

thanks again for your help guys your totally gonna help my thru hike experience through helping me properly plan and equip!!
^_^

big agnes copper spur UL1 vs tarptent Rainbow
GO!!

Iron Will
10-21-2010, 02:13
oh and i already owna pair of hiking poles and plan to use them so the added benifit of having those to stablize and lower weight/ need for stakes on the rainbow is a plus

Mountain Wildman
10-21-2010, 07:23
Rainbow 34 oz./ 43" Peak Height/ 46 X 96 Floor/$225.00 at Tarptent

Copper Spur UL 1 48 oz./ 37" Peak Height/ 42 X 90 Floor/ $279.96 at Basegear.com

Rainbow is Silnylon

Copper Spur - Fly is ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating.
Floor is lightweight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating.
Tent body is ultra lightweight nylon and polyester mesh.

Between the two, My choice would be the Rainbow.
Better head room, less weight to carry, more floor space and cheaper to buy.

Serial 07
10-21-2010, 12:42
i have a copper spur UL 1 and love it! it's easy to set up and i prefer the side door to one in the front...i would highly recommend this tent...

skinewmexico
10-21-2010, 18:17
I own 3 Tarptents. Don't expect to be too impressed with the freestanding feature of the Rainbow. That seems to be very important to some people, I've never used it. A lot of owners seem to cut those attachement off to save weight. Tarptents are made in the USA, which is important to me. I think that the issue you really need to decide on is double wall vs. single wall.

Daydream Believer
10-22-2010, 09:48
I just used my Moment last week on my section hike for the first time. I am so happy with this tent. I love it. I had people drooling over it at one shelter one night. No one can believe the space you get for the weight. I got rained on two nights and it was absolutely dry in there. It was dry in the morning when I went to fold it up also. Condensation was very minimal and not a big deal at all to me. Our Big Agnes Seedhouse has just as many condensation issues as this tarptent and weighs over twice as much.

I'm truly sold on Tarptents now and expect we'll look for a double sized one for my husband and me and sell the Seedhouse.

LIhikers
10-24-2010, 21:50
I have a Rainbow and have been comfortable using it. It's easy and convenient to make it freestanding using hiking poles. I can sit up in it to get dressed and there's a ton of extra room to bring things into the tent, including my dog. It keeps out all sorts of weather including, rain, snow, and sleat but does accumulate some condensation on the inside under certain conditions. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Rainbow when I'm in the market for a one person tent.

Chaco Taco
10-25-2010, 22:31
The updated version of the Rainbow is sweet. You also cant go wrong with the Copper Spur. It all comes down to Double wall or single wall and a few ounces.

Johnny Thunder
10-25-2010, 22:54
The updated version of the Rainbow is sweet. You also cant go wrong with the Copper Spur. It all comes down to Double wall or single wall and a few ounces.

agreed.

i have about 2 thousand miles with a rainbow and another 400 with a two person emerald mountain (the heavier version of the coppers spur). both are great...so just like chaco said, it depends on your preferences.

i would never use a single wall tent for two people on the east coast but had a lot of success with the single wall rainbow on the at during normal through hiking season. once you get the hang of pitching it (both how and where) you'll find that it is potentially the easiest non-free standing tent to use and maintain.

if you're looking for something a little more sturdy then go with the copper spur. the extra pole bits will help in the wind (i did have the rainbow blow flat with me inside it...it was 60 mph gusts and the tent popped right back up while i laid there).

but both tents are really good. you could do worse than to get either.

skinewmexico
10-26-2010, 10:13
if you're looking for something a little more sturdy then go with the copper spur. the extra pole bits will help in the wind (i did have the rainbow blow flat with me inside it...it was 60 mph gusts and the tent popped right back up while i laid there).

Did you have it guyed out?

Johnny Thunder
10-26-2010, 21:41
Did you have it guyed out?

no, i didn't. the wind sort of crept up on me...maybe it was the alcohol. once i realized how strong the winds were i did get up and guy it out and it was fine.

HockeyGirl
10-27-2010, 10:57
Can anyone tell me if the improvements to the rainbow for 2010 were for the double rainbow only - can't see anything on HS website that points to changes in the single?

Cheers

Del Q
10-27-2010, 18:11
To me weight rules, would like to get under 30oz as fabrics and designs change, hike alone, like room, Tarptent has been great. My BA tent is also great but TOO heavy. Non free-standing has not been a big issue, especially since I changed to Neo-Air pad, takes most of the rocks out of the picture.

Chaco Taco
10-28-2010, 23:22
Can anyone tell me if the improvements to the rainbow for 2010 were for the double rainbow only - can't see anything on HS website that points to changes in the single?

Cheers

You could always shoot Henry Shires an email. Great guy and always great with backing his product.

Chaco Taco
10-28-2010, 23:25
To me weight rules, would like to get under 30oz as fabrics and designs change, hike alone, like room, Tarptent has been great. My BA tent is also great but TOO heavy. Non free-standing has not been a big issue, especially since I changed to Neo-Air pad, takes most of the rocks out of the picture.
Since i have changed my attitude on the Double Rainbow, i only use it as a solo tent. Great space but just too cramped for 2 people in my opinion. We like to spread out.