PDA

View Full Version : Hike alone? or with a partner?

NCcummins
10-21-2010, 14:43
Hey everyone,

I'm 21 and currently a college student in Johnson City, TN. I'm planning on taking this coming spring as well as next fall semesters off and starting a thru hike around March 15th.

For those of you who are doing a thru hike or have already completed one, did you start alone or start with a partner?

I'm not to worried about starting alone as I know I will meet and see many people along the trail. Just would like to hear some opinions.

My biggest problem is finding someone who can take the time off and has the funds available to be able to do a thru hike with me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-Chris

Luddite
10-21-2010, 14:46
I had a partner but we got in a big fight over a poker game. So I guess I'm thru-hiking alone. Do you go to ETSU?

Stitch/Belch
10-21-2010, 14:50
Started alone. I'm glad I hiked alone, I think it would have been really difficult with a partner. You'll meet plenty of people to hike with along the way.

Luddite
10-21-2010, 14:53
Why do you think it would have been really difficult with a partner?

NCcummins
10-21-2010, 14:57
I had a partner but we got in a big fight over a poker game. So I guess I'm thru-hiking alone. Do you go to ETSU?

Yeah, I'm currently a junior at ETSU.

As of right now, I'm pretty positive I'll be hiking alone.

Stitch/Belch
10-21-2010, 15:14
Why do you think it would have been really difficult with a partner?

One of the reasons I loved the trail was for the freedom it gave me. I liked being able to decide where and when to go without having to consult another person. The times I did hike with other people, we ended up getting frustrated and needing our space after a while. Because I was hiking solo, I was able to hike on my own again without worrying about anyone else. Also, I've found it's hard to find someone who hikes at the same pace as you.

NCcummins
10-21-2010, 15:18
One of the reasons I loved the trail was for the freedom it gave me. I liked being able to decide where and when to go without having to consult another person. The times I did hike with other people, we ended up getting frustrated and needing our space after a while. Because I was hiking solo, I was able to hike on my own again without worrying about anyone else. Also, I've found it's hard to find someone who hikes at the same pace as you.

Good to know! I was thinking the same thing about the hiking pace. Since as of right now I plan on hiking alone, there is no consulting needed like you stated above.

Thanks!

ChinMusic
10-21-2010, 15:22
This

I think solo is the way to go, but I would welcome the friends I meet on the trail that just happen to hike the same pace. IMO, go alone but you won't be alone for long.

BrianLe
10-21-2010, 16:31
I was definitely planning to go solo until a fellow I hiked a lot with on another thru-hike expressed interest in starting with me (he started, and never stopped until Katahdin; a trail junky, he's now done the AT twice ...).

Barring something unusual like this (i.e., someone you've already hiked a lot of miles with), I'd strongly urge anyone to just start solo.

It's not just about someone with the funds and the time, it's someone who is sufficiently compatible. The best trail partnerships are the ones that form ad hoc on the trail.

I'd also suggest searching the archives as this topic in particular has doubtless been discussed again and again, with likely not too much new to add at this point (?).

Some hasty examples (there are surely more ...):
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59031
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57737
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45598
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44140

cornbread
10-21-2010, 16:54
I hiked solo probably 60% of the time on the AT and felt really good about having the freedom to be alone but also participating in the trail community. However theres ALOT of really cool people on the trail that I ended up hanging with for a day or a few weeks at a time. Ultimately I think solo hiking should be an essential element in a hike for your personal journey as well as sharing experiences with all the interesting people out there. My girlfriend and i finished a 1000 mile section of the PCT this year and learned ALOT about putting up with each other. We had problems at times as can be expected, but I think we both had more stamina and a much much more enjoyable time with the company. of course the PCT tends to be much more deserted (literally!).
On a side note: I think everyone hiking the AT should experience the trail community!! Things like the trail-fest, HARDCORE, trail days, shelter partys, the doyle, the mayor's, the birdcage, long trail festival... they all are great opportunities to share with fellow hikers and are some of my most memorable experiences on the trail.
If your concerned about companionship, I wouldn't worry about finding a hiking partner before starting the hike. I saw a lot of people likeminded team up early on in the trek. You'll see people who start around the same time and who hike about the same speed naturally fall in together.

Happy Hiking!!

So Far
10-21-2010, 17:11
Started alone but you will meet the most amazing people on this planet...people that would do anything to help reach the goal of reaching ME!

singing wind
10-21-2010, 20:14
One of the nice things about the AT is there's alot of flexibility and there's usually other people around - hike alone if you want or with another person for a few minutes to however long you choose. I just find it easier to go with the flow and see how the day turns out...

Enjoy your hike and have a great time!

NCcummins
10-24-2010, 20:33
Thanks for all the great info and references. I agree and should have stated differently that it is not the funds and the time off to hike, it is the ability and companionship of the person one is hiking with. With this in mind and the information stated in this thread, I believe I am going to start solo and go from there.

Sassafras Lass
10-25-2010, 12:54
I'm walking with my husband. We are thoroughly looking forward to taking 5-6 months' time off from "real life" and just enjoying each other and Nature. :)

jayboo
10-25-2010, 21:49
Hey everyone,

I'm 21 and currently a college student in Johnson City, TN. I'm planning on taking this coming spring as well as next fall semesters off and starting a thru hike around March 15th.

For those of you who are doing a thru hike or have already completed one, did you start alone or start with a partner?

I'm not to worried about starting alone as I know I will meet and see many people along the trail. Just would like to hear some opinions.

My biggest problem is finding someone who can take the time off and has the funds available to be able to do a thru hike with me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-Chris

Dude I am in the excat same boat as you man, I am taking the spring off from school, leaving at the same time, I feel like I see enough people now with just my daily hikes on the AT that there would be a sufficent amount of company along the way.

-Jacob Bouchelle

4eyedbuzzard
10-25-2010, 22:10
Just an FYI on some financial considerations / impacts - I believe that once you take off you will not be considered full-time at your college anymore for either student loans or tax purposes (one full-time semester per year will qualify you for IRS purposes). Any Stafford loans will have to start being repaid after 6 months, and if applicable, your parents will not be able to list you for tax purposes as a dependent student. You can get a deferment on the Staffords when you re-enroll and go back, but when you graduate you have to start paying immediately (because the six-months grace period has already been applied).

4eyedbuzzard
10-25-2010, 22:11
Oh, and add that you probably will not be covered under your parents health insurance if you are not a full-time student.

jayboo
10-25-2010, 22:19
I go to school for free no loans. But thank you for the heads up.

-Jay Boo

4eyedbuzzard
10-25-2010, 22:28
Just thowing it out there for those considering taking a full year off college as there are some financial concerns that aren't always considered.

NCcummins
10-25-2010, 23:29
Thanks for looking out as far as the financial situation goes. I have no school loans, and the insurance has been looked into. I'm covered under my parents until I graduate. My step-mother is the national manager of a insurance company (won't put the company name) so she might have had some pull but it was for sure looked into. If I had grants and loan, that would be a different story. I talked to the administrators of the business program today and they said go for it! I do not have to re-apply for the business program which is great.

My father was very concerned that if I was to take the year off, that I would have to apply to the school again and re-enroll in the business program. After I took care of that, he was relieved as was I.

Thanks again and a great point!

-Chris

NCcummins
10-25-2010, 23:32
Dude I am in the excat same boat as you man, I am taking the spring off from school, leaving at the same time, I feel like I see enough people now with just my daily hikes on the AT that there would be a sufficent amount of company along the way.

-Jacob Bouchelle

Great to hear man, maybe I'll see you on the trail.

My ex girlfriend's (of 6 years) brother contacted me today. He is a ranger in the military stationed in Savannah. He got honorable discharge and is done in January. He got wind from Autumn (my ex) that I was thru hiking as both our family's are very close. He said as long as he is out my January, he will be joining me, which is great to hear. He is one of the few friends I have that I could hike with I believe. He has traveled to Maine with my many summers and winters, and have spent our time in the woods together. We have only hiked a few day hikes but both our paces are dead on. This was a pretty great phone call to receive but we will see how it goes with is date on for sure leaving the military.

NCcummins
10-25-2010, 23:34
*Sorry about the numerous spelling errors! Power is out here in Johnson City because of the storm this morning and I'm having to use my blackberry (keys are small, hands are much bigger!)

Doc Mike
10-26-2010, 08:48
Hiking alone or with someone? YES

NCcummins
10-26-2010, 12:57
Hiking alone or with someone? YES

Yes to alone? or yes to with someone?

NCcummins
10-28-2010, 11:48
Well, Trent is heading to TX and won't be out till May or so. Alone thru hike it is. Looking forward to it very much!

earlyriser26
10-28-2010, 21:43
Both ways have good parts and bad. I have always loved hiking alone. You never have a pace that isn't just right. You never start too late or have a break that isn't just perfect. You will meet people.

IronGutsTommy
10-28-2010, 21:50
probably been said already but with so many hiking the same time as you, id leave it to chance. planning a hiking partner sometimes leads to one person having to alter their pace so the group stays together, while meeting people on the trail u naturally end up spending time with hikers doing the same pace. just a thought

hikrgrl
10-28-2010, 22:34
Best hiking companion: my dog. I was very sad when I had to send her home when she got sick. As numerous posts attest, though, a dog is certainly not the companion for everyone, and not every dog is tough enough to withstand the rigors of trail life (mine came down with anaplasmosis, a disease similar to Lyme - fortunately, treatable).

NCcummins
10-29-2010, 01:16
Thanks for all the advice and tips. I hope to definitely meet people hiking the same pace as me. From what it seems like, a lot of people start alone, and end up hiking with someone for a good part of the trail. Great to hear. Thanks everyone!

TheChop
10-29-2010, 16:19
I hiked 200 miles over 16 days with a buddy of mine I went to high school with. You know how some people are good friends but you become roommates and the constant interaction becomes annoying? Imagine that but the person is there 24/7. The only time you get away from them is to poop.

It takes very compatible people to do that. There were a lot of times I was raging under my breath but in the back of my mind kept saying it was just being tired, stressed, hungry and thirsty and this guy I'd known for 10 plus years was not this freaking annoying.

George
10-29-2010, 16:37
if you start in march not to hard to finish mid august for fall semester. a lot of hikers find motivation to push miles to catch up with various other cohikers I think it adds to the fun - the ebb and flow of groups/ individuals, if you have one set partner you may miss out on some of this interaction

Sierra Echo
10-29-2010, 16:39
I'm a chick and I hike alone if I can't find anyone to go with me!
Sometimes I even prefer to go alone!

garlic08
10-29-2010, 16:44
I haven't read every word of every post, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. If you do hike with a "buddy" (as opposed to a partner or spouse), be sure that you each can hike independently. Don't share critical stuff like a tent or cooking equipment. It's real good to be able to split up, maybe just for a day or two. Maybe one of you will want to blue blaze, and the other won't, and you'll meet up again later all the better for the separate experiences. I've done that with friends many times.

I hiked one long hike with my wife and it was a fine experience. I hiked a few more long hikes with a partner we met on that hike, and those were fine experiences as well. I've hiked some long trials solo and have enjoyed that, too. Either way is good.

Stir Fry
10-29-2010, 17:07
You will hike alone even if you have a partner. Its at night when you are not alone. I prefer to be on my schedual, alone. My wife hiked with me for four years and then quit. I thought I would miss her, and I do at night. The rest of the time I'm glad is just me. When I wake early and want to hike I do. When I want to stop I stop. I am not restricted by some one elses sleep habbits or hiking habbits. You will have plenty of people that are hiking that you will get to know. So IMHO just hike your hike.

weary
10-29-2010, 17:10
Though I'm at the opposite end of NC's age spectrum, No relation, despite the vaguely similar name, I walked alone for the first half of my thru hike -- well mostly alone I hiked with someone I met on the trail for a couple of especially pleasant early months.

A jumble of nice people -- including a grandson -- intruded during the second half.

Both halfs were enjoyable. Both were great experiences. But I liked it best when I was alone, except for individuals and groups I ran into on the trail for short periods, from time to time.

I especially enjoyed the weeks my grandson spent with me. But the last few weeks I was again alone. Everyone else had returned to jobs or school. I found myself welcoming the chance to again not have anyone else involved in my day to day trail decisions.

My vote is to go it alone at the start. And let the trail decide whether any changes would be better.

Weary

NCcummins
11-01-2010, 12:37
Thanks for all the posts over the weekend.

I hiked Springer this weekend with a buddy from high school, and his brother-in-law. The first night we stayed at the shelter behind the visitor center at the falls park. Little did I know, that Mike (the brother-in-law) was an alcoholic, and went through a half gallon of the Jamaican rum we had brought for Saturday night when we made it to the Springer Mt. shelter.

The next morning, around 7:30 I got up and packed up my pack to start hiking. David (my buddy), and Mike got up wanting me to drive them to the store so they could buy sausage and cook it for breakfast. I thought they were joking.

With that said, we got on the trail around 9 (without taking a trip to the store) and hiked about 4 - 5 miles in. Both of them were complaining about wanting to set up camp and get to the summit some other time. Again, I disagreed as I wanted to see the summit and the start of the AT before I start in March.

We finally made it to the shelter around 6pm. I hiked most of the approach trail by myself as David and Mike would take off not liking my slow hiking pace, then I would pass them because they were worn out, and then so on a few more times.

They were mad all night because I wanted to hike to the summit and they were going to be "sore" for work Monday and they did not want to hike out. (remember the approach trail is only 8.5 miles!)

Trail Magic as it is said happened at the shelter. I met Thor, a flip-flop thru hiker. He has just got to the shelter after starting his hike April 1st. I talked to him for hours about his hike, gear, and stories of the hike. He said "man, if I could find a way back to Asheville, I would go there since my hike is done and spend a week with a couple I met on the trail who own a bar on the river. They let me stay on their land for two days when I came through Sam's Gap." I was going back to Asheville, and offered him a ride. He said I'll think about what I want to do tonight, and let you know in the morning.

Around 7am Sunday morning, David and Mike hiked the mile or so to the FS road 42 and thumbed back to the parking lot, instead of hiking out with me. Thor had told me is was going to ride with me back to Asheville and hang out with these people for a week or so until he started his next trail (can't remember the name) that is 400 or so miles before he had to be back to work on March 1st.

It was great how the weekend played out. I hiked with Thor from Springer to the park. I learned and heard his opinion on all types of gear, what he though about hiking alone, and much more!

He said he is going to register on here in a few days when he sends in his 2,000 miler application. I hope to find him on here when he does. He was like a walking encyclopedia for me and was great to meet him while I was scoping out Springer before my start in March.

After this weekend, and taking what everyone has said into perspective, I am for sure going to start the trail alone.

It was a great weekend overall and learned a lot in just 48 hours.

Thanks again to everyone who posted!

-Chris

IamCONDOR
11-21-2010, 17:18
same boat, im 21, taking time off school to hit the trail, i originally planned to hike with a partner but soon realized she was really serious about it, now i'm planning to hike it solo. i read somewhere that the best hiking partners are found on the trail. At first i was disappointed that she wasn't going, now i am very excited about doing it by myself. I'm going to hike my own hike, and when i decide i want a hiking partner.. i'll find myself one on the trail! :) good luck and happy hiking! march is approaching fast!! woop woop!! and yikes a the same time.. i have a ton of planning left to do!

NCcummins
11-21-2010, 21:42
same boat, im 21, taking time off school to hit the trail, i originally planned to hike with a partner but soon realized she was really serious about it, now i'm planning to hike it solo. i read somewhere that the best hiking partners are found on the trail. At first i was disappointed that she wasn't going, now i am very excited about doing it by myself. I'm going to hike my own hike, and when i decide i want a hiking partner.. i'll find myself one on the trail! :) good luck and happy hiking! march is approaching fast!! woop woop!! and yikes a the same time.. i have a ton of planning left to do!

I agree. The words of advice I have heard most from thru hikers are "hike your own hike" and that is exactly what I plan on doing.

Currently reading Awol on the Appalachian Trail and it's such a great book I haven't put it town but to sleep and eat all weekend!

thelightinside
11-21-2010, 22:33
Currently reading Awol on the Appalachian Trail and it's such a great book I haven't put it town but to sleep and eat all weekend!

Loved that book! He has a lot of interesting things to say.

Originally I hoped to have a partner to hike with, but no one I know wants to or can take the time off to hike. So I'm planning to start alone; maybe I'll find someone to hike with, or maybe not. I'll just see what happens. The more I think about it though, maybe going alone will be better. It will be nice to not have an obligation to anyone.

NCcummins
11-22-2010, 00:20
Loved that book! He has a lot of interesting things to say.

Originally I hoped to have a partner to hike with, but no one I know wants to or can take the time off to hike. So I'm planning to start alone; maybe I'll find someone to hike with, or maybe not. I'll just see what happens. The more I think about it though, maybe going alone will be better. It will be nice to not have an obligation to anyone.

That is pretty much how I'm looking at it. Do not have to talk things over with someone else, and so on. Again, I think the best hiking partners are going to be found on the trail. Good luck on your hike!

Kalell
11-22-2010, 09:50
Just an FYI on some financial considerations / impacts - I believe that once you take off you will not be considered full-time at your college anymore for either student loans or tax purposes (one full-time semester per year will qualify you for IRS purposes). Any Stafford loans will have to start being repaid after 6 months, and if applicable, your parents will not be able to list you for tax purposes as a dependent student. You can get a deferment on the Staffords when you re-enroll and go back, but when you graduate you have to start paying immediately (because the six-months grace period has already been applied).

When I was in college I spent a semester in Florence, wrote a paper on how the Medici's impacted the Renaissance - then traveled around Europe by rail. Find a professor that will give you credits while hiking the AT. Even if you are part-time it's better than not being in school at all.

Sensei
11-22-2010, 13:23
When I was in college I spent a semester in Florence, wrote a paper on how the Medici's impacted the Renaissance - then traveled around Europe by rail. Find a professor that will give you credits while hiking the AT. Even if you are part-time it's better than not being in school at all.

I've been trying to think up a way to get grant money for a "research" trip to hike the AT, but everything I've come up with so far seems like a stretch. If only I were an anthropologist... :)

NCcummins
11-22-2010, 15:32
I tried talking to the dean of the business program here at ETSU. He was all for taking the time off to hike the trail, and wished me the best of luck. I asked him about connecting the trail to school, and as far as a business major goes, there is no way to do it. I ride on the track with a geology professor, he said if only that was my major, he would be more then willing to help me out!