PDA

View Full Version : Target has hiking clothing??

TheYoungOne
10-21-2010, 15:01
So I found myself wandering through Target's mens clothing section looking for socks and I seen some interesting things.

Appearently Champion makes a line of clothing geared toward outdoor and athletic use. Prices seem very reasonable and if anything some of the stuff may be useful to those on a budget or someone looking for a cheap backup. Here is a list of what I saw.

Softshells
Microfleeces
A 200weight fleece Northface Denali knockoff for $39
Regluar Fleeces jackets and vest
Puffer vest and jackets.
ski pants
A lightweight baselayer with a "duodry" polyester material
Another Baselayer made with 70%poly/30%wool
Duodry Athletic boxer-briefs
Various gloves and caps, They have a black waterproof baseball cap, some real interesting "runners" gloves again made with that duodry polyester.
Neck Gaiters
2 forms of balaclava one light, one with fleece.

Danielsen
10-21-2010, 15:28
Poly/wool baselayer? I'm going to have to check that out. I've been meaning to pick up a balaclava as well.

shoe
10-21-2010, 16:33
I work at Target and use alot of their stuff for my hiking and have had no problems.

Torch09
10-21-2010, 16:46
My job involves physical activity outdoors in all types of weather. I've been relying on target's sports wear to keep me alive, and so far i've been satisfied. Works just as well as high-end stuff, and you can't beat the price.

jesse
10-21-2010, 16:57
I wear Champion briefs, t-shirts, and socks everyday. Got um on now. There also great for hiking.

Tennessee Viking
10-21-2010, 19:15
I am a former Target Team Member, and I got most of my hiking clothes at Target. Then some at Walmart.

The Champion clothes are good if you are on a budget or just out dayhiking. I wouldn't plan a whole thru-hike without having backups. I have a couple shirts that are start to fray and stitching is coming loose. ANd I wouldn't say they have much in layers for winter-wear.

I got some waterproof winter work gloves that are probably the best thing they have.

leaftye
10-21-2010, 19:44
Ah, so Champion is at Target. I knew they were at Walmart some time back, but apparently they've switched from Champion to Starter. Anyway, Champion is some good stuff. I hope they make some 9" inseam synthetic or wool boxer briefs. I'm going to have to go by there to check it out first hand.

Carbo
10-21-2010, 20:00
I know we're talking clothing, but...
The Target near me is selling groceries including a reasonably good selection of "trail food" like jerky, chicken or tuna in a foil package, powdered gravy, stove-top stuffing, instant mac & cheese, dried fruit, nuts, etc. all at a good price. A favorite dinner first night out on the trail is the chicken and stuffing with gravy. Sort of reminds me of the Thanksgiving dinner taste and smells!

Will have to check out the backpacking gear. I had no idea they carry the things everyone has mentioned here!

russb
10-21-2010, 20:07
One of my favorite pieces of clothing comes from target; I think it might be champion brand. It is a pair of nylon windpants with a liner. Not waterproof, but resistant enoogh to deal with dew. The liner also makes them quite warm when the temp drops a little. I have been known to wear them with a pair of long underwear in the teens for hanging around camp.

Danielsen
10-21-2010, 22:37
I note that target also carries one of my favorite undiscovered no-name backpacks: The Outdoor Products Skyline pack (technically a daypack, but I could pack if for a thru). Only funny thing is, it costs $60 at target while it costs $30 at walmart. :(

TheYoungOne
10-21-2010, 23:09
I note that target also carries one of my favorite undiscovered no-name backpacks: The Outdoor Products Skyline pack (technically a daypack, but I could pack if for a thru). Only funny thing is, it costs $60 at target while it costs $30 at walmart. :(

That is the kicker, the sporting goods/camping section of target is not as good as Walmart. While I have bought a few things at in their camping section, in general the selection of things are not as useful to me at Target and the prices are not that great. Outdoor Products stuff is good, and I like some of the Coleman stuff at Walmart too. The Walmart in my area also has a coleman "ultra light" tent and sleeping bag. While you can get something better at REI, for the price its not bad.

Another thing Walmart has over Target is hunting stuff. I'm not a hunter, but if you want to get cheap orange blaze stuff so you can hike during hunting season Walmart is the place to go. I got a blaze baseball cap and a vest that can fit in your pocket all for $8.

Jonnycat
10-23-2010, 10:38
A 200weight fleece Northface Denali knockoff for $39

What brand is that? I could use another fleece coat.

Bags4266
10-23-2010, 11:14
I just started wearing their C9 tee shirts. Buy the running one they are the lightest, it will say on the tag because they make a training one and two others. It beats any other poly shirt. Very soft, feels nice on the skin, dries quick.

alverhootzt
10-23-2010, 12:48

I second that. My 3100 in3 OP "Arrowhead" is under 2lb, 5oz after I cut off that ridiculously overpadded front handle. Plenty durable so far.

shoe
10-23-2010, 20:04
I am curious as to why Target has any Outdoor Products stuff. As far as I know that is a Walmart brand. Wonder if it got returned by mistake. I have been at Target for 10 years and have never seen that brand.

Yes the sporting goods section sucks. We leave it to walmart since the demographic of Target is not typically the outdoor person.

That is the kicker, the sporting goods/camping section of target is not as good as Walmart. While I have bought a few things at in their camping section, in general the selection of things are not as useful to me at Target and the prices are not that great. Outdoor Products stuff is good, and I like some of the Coleman stuff at Walmart too. The Walmart in my area also has a coleman "ultra light" tent and sleeping bag. While you can get something better at REI, for the price its not bad.

Another thing Walmart has over Target is hunting stuff. I'm not a hunter, but if you want to get cheap orange blaze stuff so you can hike during hunting season Walmart is the place to go. I got a blaze baseball cap and a vest that can fit in your pocket all for $8.

sbhikes
10-23-2010, 20:19
I've bought some Champion stuff at the thrift store. I've been very happy with that brand. I've got a nice tank top I wore on the PCT from Mexico to Lake Tahoe. It's still serviceable but I had lost too much weight by then to continue wearing it. I recently found a nice pair of pants. I don't know if they were specifically for hiking, but the fabric is soft and stretchy and feels comfortable when I have to climb up rocks or over trees so I'm very happy with them.

We don't have target or walmart where I live. The thrift store is my favorite hiking clothing store. I even find Patagonia, North Face and Royal Robbins stuff there if I'm luck.

Mags
10-23-2010, 20:35
Yes the sporting goods section sucks. We leave it to walmart since the demographic of Target is not typically the outdoor person.

The Boulder area ones have quite a bit of athletic apparel and equipment (esp this time of the year).but the Targets may stock based on the area?

My favorite short sleeved hike shirt is the Champion brand from target. I have had it 3+ yrs now and it is still going strong.

4shot
10-24-2010, 19:23
Bought some Champion shorts for my thru-hike @ Target. They made it the entire way. Along with my Lands End down coat (which went the entire trip and served as my pillow at night) the best gear I had from a cost/benefit perspective.

Danielsen
10-24-2010, 21:56
I second that. My 3100 in3 OP "Arrowhead" is under 2lb, 5oz after I cut off that ridiculously overpadded front handle. Plenty durable so far.

I've got that one too. :o I also trimmed it, though I also removed the lid pocket (it was always just so cramped anyways), leaving just the lid itself. Also cut out all the webbing inside that holds the aluminum stays, as well as the stays themselves, and I use a foam pad for the frame. I haven't weighed it yet but I think I've got it under 2 pounds. It's not pretty, but for $30 it's a darn good pack!

Sassafras Lass
12-20-2010, 11:10

It's interesting you like it because that pack is the bane of my existence.

Before we got our real packs, we picked up one of these and borrowed another from my BIL for some Smokies hiking. That pack BRUISED my collarbones and they were sore for nearly a week. Neither of the packs would adjust properly and they didn't carry the weight well at all.

Until we got our packs we have now, we had no idea how comfortable hiking could be. I thought I was just being a pussy :p

Sassafras Lass
12-20-2010, 11:11
Correction - we didn't have the day pack per se, but I've not had any luck with Outdoor Products products so far . . .