PDA

View Full Version : Is " A Walk In The Woods" book still going to be filmed?

ncmtns
10-21-2010, 20:24
I havent heard any thing about it lately...

Wise Old Owl
10-21-2010, 20:27
Film adaption
In 2005, Robert Redford (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Robert_Redford) announced,[1] (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/#cite_note-0) and later confirmed,[2] (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/#cite_note-EW-1) that he would star in and produce an adaptation of Bryson's book into a film, and that he would play Bryson himself. He also hoped that his erstwhile co-star and friend, Paul Newman (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Paul_Newman), would team up with him to play the role of Katz, although he jokingly expressed doubt as to whether the health-conscious Newman would consider putting on enough weight to accurately portray the rotund Katz. (Newman, however, retired from acting in May 2007 and died in 2008.)
In February 2007, Chris Columbus (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Chris_Columbus_(filmmaker)), director of Home Alone (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Home_Alone) and the first two Harry Potter (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Harry_Potter) films, was reported to have agreed to direct the adaptation.[3] (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/#cite_note-2) However, in January 2008, the Hollywood Reporter (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/The_Hollywood_Reporter), while noting that the script was delayed due to the Hollywood writers' strike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/2007%E2%80%932008_Writers_Guild_of_America_strike) , reported that Barry Levinson (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Barry_Levinson), the Academy Award (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Academy_Award)-winning director of Rain Man (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Rain_Man), was in talks to direct.[2] (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/#cite_note-EW-1)
Redford has said of the project:

It'll be fun. I don't know when I've read a book that I laughed so loud. Also, it's a chance to take a look at the country... The backdrop is pretty terrific, if you stop to think of all the visuals that are possible as they go along that trail.[4] (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/#cite_note-3)

Wise Old Owl
10-21-2010, 20:36
Danger - a website named Realz offers to give previews of the 2009 film for voting. IT IS A VIRUS> DO NOT SEARCH FOR IT.

Carbo
10-21-2010, 20:43
Gotta get a thru in before they make a movie about hiking the AT. With all the boomers retiring, plus having this movie come out with Redford, I'm afraid of the onslaught of hikers on the trail. Bryson attracted many of us to the AT, I can't imagine what Redford would do!

Sierra Echo
10-21-2010, 20:43
i see that as being a straight to video kinda thing.

max patch
10-21-2010, 20:47
I can't imagine what Redford would do!

At 74 years old, Redford could play the role of the old fart who has to get up and pee 3 times a nite and annoy everyone in the shelter.

IF the movie gets made expect Redford to have a bit role; hostel owner or something.

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2010, 20:49
Gotta get a thru in before they make a movie about hiking the AT. With all the boomers retiring, plus having this movie come out with Redford, I'm afraid of the onslaught of hikers on the trail. Bryson attracted many of us to the AT, I can't imagine what Redford would do!

It likely won't have much effect beyond GA.

restless
10-21-2010, 20:50

There's already an onslaught of hikers on the trail. Besides, it's already been done before. By others. Many others. Many,many others. Surely we can find something to do that hasn't been done before.:-?

Wise Old Owl
10-21-2010, 20:54
http://www.smileyarena.net/download.aspx?id=3653

Luddite
10-21-2010, 21:21
In that Backpacker magazine article about Winton Porter it said that his store would most likely be in the film. If it is going to be made into a movie it won't come out next year and probably not the year after that. Its a very popular book so I'm sure they're eventually do a film adaptation. Adaptation...thats a good movie.

Smile
10-21-2010, 21:45
Wise Old Owl....

OK, I liked the tent thingy, where do you get one of those! :)

Carbo
10-21-2010, 21:49
There's already an onslaught of hikers on the trail. Besides, it's already been done before. By others. Many others. Many,many others. Surely we can find something to do that hasn't been done before.:-?
Maybe something that hasn't been done before (as far as I can see) is let the other guy go first at the intersection, let the merging traffiic go in front of you, if someone cuts you off just back off. Then, when you get to your destination on your time and within your own style, smile; you did it your way!

Torch09
10-21-2010, 21:51
Sounds like a horrible movie idea. Anybody else see "Southbounders"? haha. Its hard, if not impossible to catch the essence of a thru hike in a 2 hour long movie. Although given the humorus nature of Bryson's book, a film version might be feasible. From what i've heard, most filming wouldn't even be done in the US because of all the permits needed to film in national forests, etc. I think Romania is a classic choice for mountain scenes (as seen in movies such as "Cold Mountain). So hopefully nobody's real hiking will be interupted... although getting paid to work as an extra would help most people's trail budget :)

Wise Old Owl
10-21-2010, 22:08
Wise Old Owl....

OK, I liked the tent thingy, where do you get one of those! :)

Right click copy paste back on photobucket. I was testing it to see if I could get it to work.

trailangelbronco
10-21-2010, 23:16
The best thing for the trail would be if they made a movie about people getting tortured and murdered on the AT. Make it scary as hell and also make it rain and snow all summer. Make the trail look like a horrible place to be.

Then, we could all change our WB names to names like killer hiker, Jasonhikes, stuff like that.

Scare the hell out of the LL Beanr's.

The business owners in the coastal towns in the 70's hated the movie Jaws, but the residents loved it.

Lone Wolf
10-21-2010, 23:34
I havent heard any thing about it lately...

great book. will be a great movie

Jester2000
10-22-2010, 00:01
Never gonna happen.

Jester2000
10-22-2010, 00:03
Never gonna happen.

That, by the way, is my version of the pithy Lone Wolf comment.

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2010, 00:11
Never gonna happen.

Probably not. Bryson's only other adaptation was a two episode UK TV documentary from "Notes From a Small Island".

Just not the kind of stuff that studios are looking to invest millions in to play to a very small audience.

Chop
10-22-2010, 00:37
I hope not... The experience did not seem that meaningful to Bryson..lots of history, much quite interesting...and I have to admit that I had a few good laughs during the read.

Honestly, I'd much rather see a film adaptation of 'A Thru Hiker's Heart' by No Way Ray about his experience/thoughts/life hiking the PCT.

IronGutsTommy
10-22-2010, 02:39
if the trail got real crazy after the film release with weekend warriors youd just have to scare the crap out of em. maybe leave some wooden toys at the Punchbowl shelter with "Ottie" etched into the side

Old Hillwalker
10-22-2010, 05:29
Maybe "deja vu"is finished writing her script by now. Possibly a good un-reality show.

Lone Wolf
10-22-2010, 06:39
That, by the way, is my version of the pithy Lone Wolf comment.
pithiness is damn near equal to godliness

Doc Mike
10-22-2010, 07:07
I didn't think the book was very good. Comments like I realized I didn't need to finish this section and skipped ahead and hiked here. etc Maybe realistic for some hikers but kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

HYOH
Doc Mike

Mags
10-22-2010, 09:12
if the trail got real crazy after the film release with weekend warriors youd just have to scare the crap out of em.

Unless you are fortunate enough to no longer need to work, we are all 'weekend warriors' most of the time. :) (Even if your weekend is during the week! :D )

Mags..off to do some hiking this weekend. Hope I can be considered a real hiker! :banana

jersey joe
10-22-2010, 09:20
This would make a very good movie. One that, like the book, would appeal to the masses but would probably annoy a lot of the diehard hikers.

Oh, and I disagree that there is already an onslaught of hikers on the trail. The trail would do well to have more people out there enjoying it.

pistol p
10-22-2010, 09:26
I don't think it would do much to effect the trail, at least after GA. I hiked the Kalalau Trail last spring. Just after I came home, A Perfect Getaway came out in theaters. From what I've read on forums, it hasn't changed the quantity of hikers that have visited in the last year.

btw- The park service is closing the Kalalau Trail this fall\winter in order to clean up the trash, and all of the hippies that are living in the woods of the park.

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2010, 09:51
As far as impacting use of the AT, no one will ever have near the effect Ed Garvey did.

fredmugs
10-22-2010, 11:01
great book. will be a great movie

Possibly the first time I have ever disagreed with you. Worst books I've ever read:

1. Moby Dick
2. A Walk in the Woods
3. Anything by Dan Brown

Did you really enjoy reading a book that is supposed to be about hiking but two thirds of it is complaining about the federal government?

fredmugs
10-22-2010, 11:03
As far as impacting use of the AT, no one will ever have near the effect Ed Garvey did.

Who? I know there's a shelter named after him but that's about it. Please enlighten me on Mr. Garvey.

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2010, 11:58
Who? I know there's a shelter named after him but that's about it. Please enlighten me on Mr. Garvey.

You should read his book, an account of his 1970 thru-hike, "Appalachian Hiker: Adventure of a Lifetime", which includes his daily diary and one of the first compiled "data sheets" for the AT. Up until Garvey's book was published, less than 50 people had reported thru-hiking the AT. By the end of the 1970's close to 800 people had. And it just kept on growing from there. There were other motive forces, such as better and lighter weight gear from Dick Kelty and others, and the availability of synthetic fabrics that lightened everything, along with a general renewed interest in the outdoors. But Garvey's hike and book forever planted hiking fever in a generation of new hikers.

Beyond Benton MacKaye, Myron Avery, and Arthur Perkins - who pretty much built the AT, no one has likely had as great an influence as Garvey, who served many roles in the ATC including Secretary of the ATC, President of the PATC, and also helped spearhead the National Trails Act of 1968 and pushed for funding for land acquisition along the AT and establishing the AT corridor.

Sly
10-22-2010, 12:05

Until this year, numbers of starting thru-hikers has gone down since 2000 and about the time of AWITW. I believe the increase this year was because it was a decade year. Hiking in 2000 was somewhat crowded in the south, but fun. IMO, any spike in numbers to attract people to the trail would be a good thing.

Luddite
10-22-2010, 12:13
Possibly the first time I have ever disagreed with you. Worst books I've ever read:

1. Moby Dick
2. A Walk in the Woods
3. Anything by Dan Brown

Did you really enjoy reading a book that is supposed to be about hiking but two thirds of it is complaining about the federal government?

Of course Dan Brown sucks. Those books are for old people. TI really did enjoy reading a book that was supposed to be about hiking but two thirds of it is complaining about the federal government. You give Moby Dick another chance.

fredmugs
10-22-2010, 12:34
You should read his book, an account of his 1970 thru-hike, "Appalachian Hiker: Adventure of a Lifetime", which includes his daily diary and one of the first compiled "data sheets" for the AT. Up until Garvey's book was published, less than 50 people had reported thru-hiking the AT. By the end of the 1970's close to 800 people had. And it just kept on growing from there. There were other motive forces, such as better and lighter weight gear from Dick Kelty and others, and the availability of synthetic fabrics that lightened everything, along with a general renewed interest in the outdoors. But Garvey's hike and book forever planted hiking fever in a generation of new hikers.

Beyond Benton MacKaye, Myron Avery, and Arthur Perkins - who pretty much built the AT, no one has likely had as great an influence as Garvey, who served many roles in the ATC including Secretary of the ATC, President of the PATC, and also helped spearhead the National Trails Act of 1968 and pushed for funding for land acquisition along the AT and establishing the AT corridor.

Awesome! Thanks!

turtle fast
10-22-2010, 12:51
Hollywood plans a ton of projects and only a small number actually get made. Financing for a project is a big factor, unless Redford uses his own (unlikely). With a tight economy its harder to get unless backed by something.

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2010, 13:34
I'm not sure this will be made anytime soon, especially with Paul Newman gone and Redford getting older by the hour. Last I heard, there wasn't anywhere near a complete script; after all, it'd be kinda hard to make a full-length movie about a thru-hike that for all practical purposes ended in Gatlinburg. :D

Driver8
10-22-2010, 14:17
The best thing for the trail would be if they made a movie about people getting tortured and murdered on the AT. Make it scary as hell and also make it rain and snow all summer. Make the trail look like a horrible place to be.

Then, we could all change our WB names to names like killer hiker, Jasonhikes, stuff like that.

The business owners in the coastal towns in the 70's hated the movie Jaws, but the residents loved it.

Thanks for the laugh!

Torch09
10-22-2010, 14:34
Good book does not necessarily mean good movie. Case in point: can you imagine "The Catcher in the Rye" being made into a movie? Salinger would roll over in his grave.

Sly
10-22-2010, 14:34
Probably not. Bryson's only other adaptation was a two episode UK TV documentary from "Notes From a Small Island".

Just not the kind of stuff that studios are looking to invest millions in to play to a very small audience.

I thought Redford already bought the rights, and the book was a best seller.

Luddite
10-22-2010, 15:40
Good book does not necessarily mean good movie. Case in point: can you imagine "The Catcher in the Rye" being made into a movie? Salinger would roll over in his grave.

They already tried back in the day but Salinger wouldn't let 'em. I think he hated the goddam movies.

People always try to make your book into a movie.

Driver8
10-22-2010, 16:11

1. Moby Dick
2. A Walk in the Woods
3. Anything by Dan Brown

Disagree sharply on 1 and 2. Moby-Dick is the great American novel, imo, greatest to date, among the world's great works of literature. Love AWITW. It's relatively lightweight stuff, but charmingly written - a fun, easy read and a fine introduction to the Trail. Dan Brown - meh. Enjoyed 2/3 of Davinci Code and thought it fell apart in the final third. ...

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2010, 18:34
I thought Redford already bought the rights, and the book was a best seller.
Yeah, but almost every best selling book gets film rights to the story sold or "optioned". Then a movie script based on it has to be written (you can't film a book). Lots of issues here - good books don't necessarily make good movies - the mediums are very different. Then there are all sorts of steps and hurdles with investors, financial accountants, producers, directors, etc. before and if anything ever happens. Most options simply expire and never become films for a myriad of artistic, financial, logistical, or other reasons.

Panzer1
10-22-2010, 19:05
any movie they make will have nothing to do with reality. It will be all fiction. Hikers will hate the movie because they will claim it gives a false impression of life on the trail.

real hikers know how boring life on the trail is. You could never show an accurate account of life on the trail because it would just be too boring to watch. You would have to have a lot of "make pretend".

Panzer

TrailSquirrel
10-22-2010, 21:09
it'd be kinda hard to make a full-length movie about a thru-hike that for all practical purposes ended in Gatlinburg. :D

I think it would be a great movie. I really enjoyed the book Bryson can tell a great story. redford however my be a bit too old though.

veteran
10-22-2010, 22:23
[QUOTE
OK, I liked the tent thingy, where do you get one of those! :)[/QUOTE]

http://www.smileyarena.net/download.aspx?id=3653

Roche
10-22-2010, 22:53
[QUOTE=max patch;1061770]At 74 years old, Redford could play the role of the old fart who has to get up and pee 3 times a nite and annoy everyone in the shelter.

IF the movie gets made expect Redford to have a bit role; hostel owner or something.[/QUOTE)
Hey - I pee during the night, perhaps I could play the part of Redford playing the part the old fart.

Odd Man Out
10-22-2010, 23:12
Casting a bit younger, I could see Jack Black playing Katz. Although I wasn't a huge fan of the book, it was fun in parts. I especially liked the bit where Katz struggled up the approach trail to Springer Mtn casting aside pounds and pounds of stuff, including most of their food. Not really LNT hikers, eh?

trailangelbronco
10-22-2010, 23:30
Maybe in the filming process it may come out that Bryson never actually spent one night on the Trail. And Katz is a fictional character.

You would think that Old Bill would have a few pics to share from the trail. A few point and shoot's or 30 second clips of his campsite, Katz bitching and moaning, that kind of stuff.

Driver8
10-22-2010, 23:59
Casting a bit younger, I could see Jack Black playing Katz. Although I wasn't a huge fan of the book, it was fun in parts. I especially liked the bit where Katz struggled up the approach trail to Springer Mtn casting aside pounds and pounds of stuff, including most of their food. Not really LNT hikers, eh?

I see Paul Giammati as Bryson and Zach Galiafinakis as Katz (or Robbie Coltrane - Hagrid from Harry Potter - dunno if he has comic chops). Redford as a Maine inn-keeper or older, grizzled veteran section-hiker encountered on the way would be cool.

Dogwood
10-23-2010, 00:22
I want to play the part of the annoying gearhead thru-hiker who keeps trying to entangle Bryson (Robert Redford) into annoying unwanted gear related discussions or, perhaps, play the part of a philosophical thru-hiker with a I live to Hike I Hike to Live attitude.

In 2006, on the AT, I got the lowdown that some folks associated with the film were interviewing hikers along the trail to be used in bit appearances and as extras. They interviewed me, took my pic, and personal info. Wait, that brings up a thought! They are the ones who stole my identity. Only kidding. They really were interviewing real hikers for parts in the movie.

veteran
10-23-2010, 01:55

The book that got me interested in the AT, a good read.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/e7/0e/3fae228348a02c19f0a44110.L.jpg

Dogwood
10-23-2010, 03:17
...after all, it'd be kinda hard to make a full-length movie about a thru-hike that for all practical purposes ended in Gatlinburg. :D - Jack Tarlin

What some, actually quite a few folks, DO NOT realize is that AWITW IS NOT, I repeat, IS NOT a documentary or factual account of a complete thru-hike or based totally in reality or truth!!! While I read AWITW twice and it was certainly entertaining and hilarious at times IT IS A WORK OF FICTION!!! Some have a HARD time distinguishing the difference between fact and fiction. AWITW was written to sell an entertaining book. Although, it may contain and mention actual places, people, events, etc etc IT IS NOT totally real. Let me kindly say that it contains quite a few embellishments!!! It's no different with the popular fictional best sellers written by Dan Brown!!! These books of fiction contain conjecture, opinion, and quite a bit embellishing story telling!!! Sorry to burst some folks illusions!

rickb
10-23-2010, 12:08

1. Moby Dick
2. A Walk in the Woods
3. Anything by Dan Brown

I tried to ready Moby Dick once. There is a trail connection, after all.

From Wikpedia's entry on Mount Greylock:

Melville is said to have taken part of his inspiration for Moby-Dick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby-Dick) from the view of the mountain from his house Arrowhead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowhead_%28Herman_Melville%29) in Pittsfield (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsfield,_Massachusetts), since its snow-covered profile reminded him of a great white Sperm Whale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperm_Whale)'s back breaking the ocean's surface.[16] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Greylock#cite_note-15) Melville dedicated his next novel, Pierre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre:_or,_The_Ambiguities), to "Greylock's Most Excellent Majesty", calling the mountain "my own... sovereign lord and king".

Luddite
10-23-2010, 12:20
...after all, it'd be kinda hard to make a full-length movie about a thru-hike that for all practical purposes ended in Gatlinburg. :D - Jack Tarlin

What some, actually quite a few folks, DO NOT realize is that AWITW IS NOT, I repeat, IS NOT a documentary or factual account of a complete thru-hike or based totally in reality or truth!!! While I read AWITW twice and it was certainly entertaining and hilarious at times IT IS A WORK OF FICTION!!! Some have a HARD time distinguishing the difference between fact and fiction. AWITW was written to sell an entertaining book. Although, it may contain and mention actual places, people, events, etc etc IT IS NOT totally real. Let me kindly say that it contains quite a few embellishments!!! It's no different with the popular fictional best sellers written by Dan Brown!!! These books of fiction contain conjecture, opinion, and quite a bit embellishing story telling!!! Sorry to burst some folks illusions!

How would you know? :-?

Panzer1
10-23-2010, 14:10
they have made movies about everything. Sooner or later they will get around to making a "Walk In The Woods" movie.

Panzer

mateozzz
10-23-2010, 15:18

Actually, when I hiked the CT section in 2008 they were filming scenes for a slasher movie at Bulls Bridge. It is some sort of Wes Craven movie, I'm not sure if it every mentions the AT directly. I think the current title is 25/8 if you want to google it.

Jester2000
10-23-2010, 17:25

Hmmm. Well, I suppose the people whose illusions you're bursting include the publisher, the DDC, and the Library of Congress, all of whom categorize the book as non-fiction, as in not fiction. Here I'll add some exclamation points for emphasis: !!!!

I agree with you completely that it is full of embellishments. I know for a fact that Bryson was not where he says he was on Memorial Day Weekend. Nonetheless, the book purports to be non-fiction, and is categorized as such by every system for categorizing books out there, including the shelves of your local Barnes & Noble.

The accurately described problems you mention with this supposedly non-fiction book has a lot to do with the problems many people have with it.

Luddite
10-23-2010, 17:29
I know for a fact that Bryson was not where he says he was on Memorial Day Weekend.

Where did he claim to be and how do you know he wasn't there?

restless
10-23-2010, 18:22

Luddite,
I noticed your age (23) as well as the year of your thru hike (2011). I think considering Jesters hiking history, he knows what he's talking about. Besides, how would you know where Bill B was on Memorial Day. Weren't you like 11 when the book came out? just wonderin there,expert.:-?

Luddite
10-23-2010, 18:25
Luddite,
I noticed your age (23) as well as the year of your thru hike (2011). I think considering Jesters hiking history, he knows what he's talking about. Besides, how would you know where Bill B was on Memorial Day. Weren't you like 11 when the book came out? just wonderin there,expert.:-?

I was curious how he knows he wasn't there. I believe him.

Take a chill pill.

restless
10-23-2010, 18:31
Pill taken...(I think-Can't remember-was it blue...or red????):D

TrailSquirrel
10-23-2010, 18:52
Luddite,

Seemed like a harmless question and not an accusation of wrong doing

Luddite
10-23-2010, 19:03
Seemed like a harmless question and not an accusation of wrong doing

I'm over it. :D

Guess I gotta start using the smiley faces more :D

restless
10-23-2010, 19:06
I'm over it. :D

Guess I gotta start using the smiley faces more :D

I personally dig on the bananas:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:D

Luddite
10-23-2010, 19:13
I like these condescending guys :-?:-?:-?:-?:-?

Wise Old Owl
10-23-2010, 20:11
I like these condescending guys :-?:-?:-?:-?:-?

Same here-Nobody really likes Billy Bryson - he never did the whole trail, he pissed off some trail angels and did a debbie downer about a hostel,
so why are there so many posts and reads each time the thread comes up?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKVSCQ4WRuyQ4zzu0a__bZsuNEHGTNT EdIgzG8WGZl_Li6HiQ&t=1&usg=__CPZGLxyfa4xPtzJiXsNvwd91rRg= Did you know the thinking smile was copied from this picture?

Luddite
10-23-2010, 20:22
He pissed off some trail angels? Did anybody actually really see Bryson on the trail?

Luddite
10-23-2010, 20:24
Speaking of good books being made into movies...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337692/

Wise Old Owl
10-23-2010, 21:45
He pissed off some trail angels? Did anybody actually really see Bryson on the trail?

Come on He's 250+lbs and so was his side kick ... He doesnt shop at the big and tall - He's short and squat. Someone saw him.

Luddite
10-23-2010, 22:24
Yeah but have you ever heard of anyone who saw him? I'm not sure but I think he was a relatively obscure author before AWITW.

restless
10-23-2010, 23:13
Yeah but have you ever heard of anyone who saw him? I'm not sure but I think he was a relatively obscure author before AWITW.

You might check this out:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40731

Driver8
10-24-2010, 00:24
Luddite,

Luddite asked a perfectly legit question. To ask is not to say (1) the person questioned doesn't know, or (2) the asker does. Or am I missing something?

Driver8
10-24-2010, 00:31
Luddite asked a perfectly legit question. To ask is not to say (1) the person questioned doesn't know, or (2) the asker does. Or am I missing something?

Oops, sorry - looks like it's case closed on that. Didn't meant to pile on. ...:o

Jester2000
10-24-2010, 22:53

I bet you didn't think asking a simple question would drive everyone so nuts.

Anyway, I got that part wrong. It wasn't Memorial Day, it was the first say of Spring. So apologies to all as far as that goes.

Bryson claims that he was at Rainbow Springs Campground on the first day of Spring. The reason he claims this is that on the day he goes to Rainbow Springs he gets caught in a bad snowstorm, and he liked the idea of what he calls the "pathetic irony of it." So he changed the date so he could mention the irony of it snowing on March 21st.

How do I know it wasn't March 21st? Because four years after Bryson hiked, Jasnine still had his check-in card. They would have you fill in your info on an index card, and they would write what you ate on the other side so they knew what to charge you when you left. Bryson was there on March 23rd. Big deal, right? Who cares if he was two days off? But the question becomes, "if you'd lie about such a small thing just for the sake of irony, what else would you make up?"

By the way, Bryson also writes about how absolutely horrible the food was at Rainbow Springs. From looking at his card, I also know that he had everything on the menu at least twice.

Miner
10-24-2010, 23:17
By the way, Bryson also writes about how absolutely horrible the food was at Rainbow Springs. From looking at his card, I also know that he had everything on the menu at least twice.
Ah, but even the worse town food on the trail is better then the food you carried out of town so of course you'll have seconds. Not that I'm saying the food is bad or anything. To be honest, I can't think of ever having a bad meal in a trail stop, even the microwave burritos I had were better then what I carried.

fredmugs
10-25-2010, 07:00
I tried to ready Moby Dick once. There is a trail connection, after all.

I have a trail connection to trying to read that book as well.

I used to fly a lot in my job and started reading to pass the time. Normally I read history books but bought Moby Dick just to say I read it. Trying to read that book is like slogging through the mud in Vermont. You need to get to the other side so you put your head down and keep going. I tried really hard to read all of it but I don't think I did.

Driver8
10-25-2010, 08:31

I used to fly a lot in my job and started reading to pass the time. Normally I read history books but bought Moby Dick just to say I read it. Trying to read that book is like slogging through the mud in Vermont. You need to get to the other side so you put your head down and keep going. I tried really hard to read all of it but I don't think I did.

I read about half of it, then audio-booked the second half while taking long walks.

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2010, 09:14

Yeah, I'd stick to the history books. I never understood the idea of wasting time reading "Literature" (the fictional variety). Although, I have been thinking about reading A Catcher in the Rye, just to see what the fuss is all about, but so far unable to bring myself to it.

To me reading fiction is not much better than watching T.V.

TrailSquirrel
10-25-2010, 09:25
Yeah, I'd stick to the history books. I never understood the idea of wasting time reading "Literature" (the fictional variety). Although, I have been thinking about reading A Catcher in the Rye, just to see what the fuss is all about, but so far unable to bring myself to it.

Bartelby the Scrivener..........enough said

Driver8
10-25-2010, 12:20

Try Gatsby on for size and see what you think. A quick read, and some of the best writing available, imo and in the opinion of many others.

4eyedbuzzard
10-25-2010, 21:14
I never understood the idea of wasting time reading "Literature" (the fictional variety). . . . To me reading fiction is not much better than watching T.V.

Nonfiction is about The Facts - Fiction is about The Truth. And if you don't read both, you'll never know one from the other. :-? ;)

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2010, 23:53
i cant belive we are still posting about Bryson... But there we are. We need a new author.

mweinstone
10-26-2010, 00:36
q matthewski. i belive i may be needed here. i have never read a book cover to cover in my life. books are dead. sorry. somebody has to be me,.... anyway, so i dont ever read. hate it. belive its bad. sorry again. i feel yall felling sorry . dont. yall tweeked. see, life is big. and books are small. sorry. books are simply the walkmans of the past. the drugs of the waypast. the problem from the beggining? may i be so bold? feeel the same way about recorded music and film. sorry. i dont like tecnology. i wanna be cavemen with smarts. i wish we had all our inventions in our heads and still lived around fires with crazy ideas. is that wrong?

SullyJoe
10-26-2010, 01:00
Mweinstone,

It sounds like you could benefit from reading a book or two

Panzer1
10-26-2010, 02:06
bye the way:

they still sell the Sony Walkman personal cassette player. It just won't die.

Dogwood
10-26-2010, 02:12
i cant belive we are still posting about Bryson... But there we are. We need a new author.

No doubt, the discussion of Bill Bryson and AWITW is BEATEN to DEATH here at WB but, that's what I would expect when a discussion arises about a book written about hiking the AT is discussed at a website devoted to hiking the AT. SO many can relate to the book! And, this is also why the book is over-analyzed here at WB?

Jester and Luddite, you posed good questions earlier. Jester, I know AWITW is categorized as non-fiction. I also know I came on quite strong with my comments about AWITW being fiction. I get my opinion because as I read Bryson's Prefac/Introduction in AWITW he alludes to NOT viewing his work as a documentary, reference or how-to hike the AT type book. I don't have the book in front of me though so I'm not going to quote anything directly. I also know that his hiking companion Katz is not based on one person, as another poster also mentioned. Katz is a composite personality of more than one person so as to make the read that much more interesting! To me, that means Katz, as described in AWITW, is not a REAL individual, as in he's a fictional character. Jester, as you have mentioned, I wonder what other literary leeway Bryson took to make the book a more enjoyable read!

I also know several thru-hikers who hiked the same yr as Bryson claims he hiked and was in the vicinity of where Bryson claimed to be at specific dates. ALL the AT-thru-hikers I spoke to(8-10 individuals) said the author greatly exaggerated the weather and trail conditions described in the book. Again, the fictional aspects make for a more interesting read.

I could get into other aspects of why I think

I have also read some of Bryson's other works. As Skyline has mentioned in another AWITW thread, Bryson's character Katz admits in, Thunderbolt Kid, that AWITW is "mostly fictional."

I could discuss other fictional aspects/elements in AWITW, however, I'm with WOO, I've had enough analyzing AWITW. I will leave it with these two statements, I pose the question, "how much fiction can a book contain and still be considered non-fiction? IMO, I think it most accurate to state that AWITW is largely a factual account with some fiction thrown in for good book selling measure!

Did I fail to mention I like the author? I liked AWITW; I read it twice. I enjoyed the historical accounts of the AT, global warming issues, hilarious, at times, story, the social and political aspects of the AT, and the impact and connectivity the AT has had on adjacent areas and how those areas have impacted the AT.

Driver8
10-26-2010, 07:01
... i dont ever read. hate it. belive its bad.

And yet, somehow, you communicate interactively on this board. Remarkable. Osmosis?

4eyedbuzzard
10-26-2010, 07:14
q matthewski. i belive i may be needed here.
Probably not, like any one of us.

i have never read a book cover to cover in my life. books are dead. sorry. somebody has to be me,.... anyway, so i dont ever read. hate it. belive its bad. sorry again. i feel yall felling sorry . dont.
Authors die. Their thoughts and ideas live on in their works.

yall tweeked.
Nope, just educated.

see, life is big. and books are small. sorry. books are simply the walkmans of the past. the drugs of the waypast. the problem from the beggining? may i be so bold? feeel the same way about recorded music and film. sorry.
Books, music, film, art, etc, expand one's world beyond their own little corner of it allowing them to experience part of what others live - part of the world and life they would never otherwise see.

i dont like tecnology.
. . . he types into the electronic machine that broadcasts his thought worldwide at near the speed of light

i wanna be cavemen with smarts. i wish we had all our inventions in our heads and still lived around fires with crazy ideas. is that wrong?
No, just ignorant.:o

fredmugs
10-26-2010, 07:23
I also know several thru-hikers who hiked the same yr as Bryson claims he hiked and was in the vicinity of where Bryson claimed to be at specific dates. ALL the AT-thru-hikers I spoke to(8-10 individuals) said the author greatly exaggerated the weather and trail conditions described in the book. Again, the fictional aspects make for a more interesting read.

I'm sure in the movie version he will hike the entire trail, meet some adversity and then a woman who will help him overcome that adversity. In the final scene he will triumphantly scale Katahdin. Movie goers will think Bryson is awesome and then they'll re-release the book with "new information."

Jester2000
10-26-2010, 09:23
bye the way:

they still sell the Sony Walkman personal cassette player. It just won't die.

Funny you should bring that up. Sony announced today that they were finally stopping production of the Walkman. They stopped producing Matthewskis years ago.

Driver8
10-26-2010, 09:50
Funny you should bring that up. Sony announced today that they were finally stopping production of the Walkman. They stopped producing Matthewskis years ago.

So the book has survived the Walkman. ...

flemdawg1
10-26-2010, 14:27
2 comments:
1. I'm reading the Ed Garvey book right now. Very interesting read, i.e. him bragging about the new-fangled SVEA stoves.

2. Redford should be playing Bob Peoples.

Luddite
10-26-2010, 15:27
q matthewski. i belive i may be needed here. i have never read a book cover to cover in my life. books are dead. sorry. somebody has to be me,.... anyway, so i dont ever read. hate it. belive its bad. sorry again. i feel yall felling sorry . dont. yall tweeked. see, life is big. and books are small. sorry. books are simply the walkmans of the past. the drugs of the waypast. the problem from the beggining? may i be so bold? feeel the same way about recorded music and film. sorry. i dont like tecnology. i wanna be cavemen with smarts. i wish we had all our inventions in our heads and still lived around fires with crazy ideas. is that wrong?

You're reading right now, so you can't hate reading. You just have a problem with pieces of paper in between boards?

Old Hillwalker
10-26-2010, 15:57
Maybe we could get a ."Borat on the Appalachian Trail" Borat meets Mattthewski and hikes with him for a few weeks.

Dogwood
10-26-2010, 22:45
I'm sure in the movie version he will hike the entire trail, meet some adversity and then a woman who will help him overcome that adversity. In the final scene he will triumphantly scale Katahdin. Movie goers will think Bryson is awesome and then they'll re-release the book with "new information."

LOL. You are reading/predicting the same thing as me FredMugs. Hollywood movies are generally not based totally in reality and neither are some of the books that are categorized as non-fiction.

If I had $1 for every Touron/Tourist that has asked/quizzed me on "did you see A Walk In The Woods or Into The Wild" I could afford that new Valandre down sleeping bag I've had on my gear wish list!

MkBibble
10-26-2010, 23:58

it's just an advertising gimmick, remember "New Coke"? no ideas on mweinstone, but open your bounce box carefully!

Jester2000
10-27-2010, 00:04
Aside from a small number of documentaries, every single Hollywood movie is considered by the film industry to be fictional. That's why movies based on actual events are described as being "based on a true story."

Non-fiction books are expected by the publishing industry to be true accounts of people's lives or events. Non-fiction means just that, and no amount of James-Frey-style hemming and hawing will change it.

So, yeah, Hollywood can take the title and rewrite the whole thing, and no one should particularly care. But we should care when a book with many fictional elements is categorized by the author & publisher as non-fiction.

And, um, regardless of all of this, it's never going to be made into a movie, just like the vast majority of properties that Hollywood purchases.

Dogwood
10-27-2010, 01:13
Jester, you are the official advertising and marketing exec for AWITW when it's made into a movie!

Jester2000
10-27-2010, 01:16
Jester, you are the official advertising and marketing exec for AWITW when it's made into a movie!

Good Lord that's a terrible idea.

Panzer1
10-27-2010, 01:18

no, he won't hike the entire trail. It would be too boring to have to sit through a movie about a entire thru hike. A partial hike of the trail would be much more tolerable. His book was so good in part because his hike failed.

Panzer

Driver8
10-27-2010, 01:59

He's just on the radar screen b/c he just published a new book. It's not as though, from what I've seen, he's always a hot topic - it's just a flare up from book tour publicity.

Personally, I enjoyed the book greatly and can see where it probably was fictionalized to an extent. Was "Katz" really in such prodigiously bad shape and still hiked a couple hundred miles of AT, GA to GSMNP, in late winter/early spring, persisting on to hike half of the Trail in Virginia? Seems doubtful.

But "A Walk" kindled my passion for hiking when I read it in '06, led me to my first steps on the Trail, and hiking has since, in time, moved from hobby to passion for me. Plus it's a fun read with lots of good trail history and notes on the flora and fauna and geology, and it encourages people to get out and hike themselves.

My hat's off to him.

Dogwood
10-27-2010, 02:20
OK OK I got a new title for you - AT Correspondent/Adviser. LOL

4eyedbuzzard
10-27-2010, 10:13
For those interested, Backpacker Magazine's Guide to the AT has an excellent "layman level" section on trail geology and biology.

sherrill
10-27-2010, 11:23
I think this book is brought up on this forum more than anywhere else on the planet.

For the uninitiated, here is a primer:

http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-a-walk-in-the-woods/

Of special interest should be the "Key Questions" and "Topics for Discussion" links.

Fadeway
10-27-2010, 11:51
After the Deliverance movie, the Chattooga River was over run with people from all over the US. It was not good.

Luddite
10-27-2010, 12:19
After the Deliverance movie, the Chattooga River was over run with people from all over the US. It was not good.

You still can't go down any river in the south without hearing people say "I think I hear banjo music HHAHAHA".

Driver8
10-27-2010, 14:53
For those interested, Backpacker Magazine's Guide to the AT has an excellent "layman level" section on trail geology and biology.

I'm among those interest - thanks for the tip, Buzzard, much obliged.

BTW, I made a spur-of-the-moment, last minute decision to hike Stratton a few weeks ago, 10/9. Enjoyed it very much - it was cold at the summit at 5 pm! Intend to get up closer to your neck of the woods and do some White Mountain time next summer.