PDA

View Full Version : Snow in the whites

peakbagger
10-22-2010, 07:52
As of this morning, Friday 10/22, there was snow on the ground at 1400 feet just North of Madison. There had been persistent snow coverage up high on the mountains for the last week but this is the first time its gotten down low.

There were a lot of reports of icy trails last weekend and one rescue off the AT on wildcat that was probably traction related.

Therefore barring a major warm up, its time to get the early winter gear out, including traction aids, if you are going to go hiking in the whites.

Slo-go'en
10-22-2010, 08:57
Yep, I woke up and looked out the window and said "I'm not ready for this yet!"

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2010, 09:47
Yeah, saw some flurries and had some some graupel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel) on my deck this morning, and I'm only at 700 ft ASL by the Connecticut River. Time to "git r done" this weekend on mending the fence and putting up a new shed roof before the snow flies.

fredmugs
10-22-2010, 11:11
So glad I was able to hike in that area for a week before the big rain storm hit that I guess was followed by snow. There was only a light dusting on Washington when we did Wildcat. I can certainly see how someone could get injured when it's slippery - I still have the scars on my shin when I took a tumble.

Joker4ink
10-23-2010, 02:23
Therefore barring a major warm up, its time to get the early winter gear out, including traction aids, if you are going to go hiking in the whites.

Are you talking full crampons or are Micro Spikes fine for it?

Slo-go'en
10-23-2010, 10:13
Micro spike should be fine for a while. I went for a couple mile hike yesterday, but only up to 2200 feet. The light dusting of wet snow on top of wet leaves made for some pretty slippery footing in places, but there wasn't any ice yet. Another 1000 feet higher and it would likely be a bit more icy.

Mr. Clean
10-24-2010, 05:26
Snow/ice line is at about 3500 feet, and the Presidentials are totally white. Lower elevations still snow free, but have lingering patches of ice. Be careful.

TOW
10-24-2010, 07:10
I can see Katahdin is capped as well.........http://www.weatherbonk.com/weather/camDetail.jsp?id=_wc_1142796638109