PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite State

fredmugs
10-22-2010, 11:41
Do you have any states you will never hike in again?

For years I hated PA not only because of the rocks but because there's really not much to see. Once you've seen one farm the rest of them all look pretty much the same.

My new least favorite state is Vermont. Did the entire state this year with part of it in July and the rest last week. The rocks aren't as bad but throw in constant mud and tree roots and I believe it is much worse. Having to look down most of the day sucks and when you do get a view it's pretty much the same evergreen trees. My understanding is the Long Trail is even worse after it splits off so I won't be doing that.

No problems with any other state - just these two.

tdoczi
10-22-2010, 12:02
have many states yet to go but so far i've been really amazed by how boring the bulk of MA is. from jug end road to cheshire i'll never even think of hiking again. about 70 miles of nothing.

Old Grouse
10-22-2010, 12:09
Maybe these are the spots for some of those Burmashave signs, just to keep you two amused.

sbhikes
10-22-2010, 12:13
If you don't like trees, why do you hike? No matter how boring, I prefer beautiful nature to the gray cubicle wall I currently have to look at.

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2010, 12:19
I'm sure the GMC will be devastated by your review. :rolleyes:

Trail wear and erosion is a fact of life. All those roots you complain about have been exposed over the years by hikers like yourself who come to visit and take advantage of playing in Vermont's mountains and forests. Vermont has a very small population and tax base, and a LOT of miles of trails. It costs money to maintain and relocate trails when needed. But given their limited resources, Vermont sure offers a lot more hiking opportunities than states like, er, ah, Indiana. Just sayin'.

Mags
10-22-2010, 12:25
My understanding is the Long Trail is even worse after it splits off so I won't be doing that.

The LT is actually better as you get further north (and away) from the AT, IMO.

But, if you don't like trees, rocks and roots there is a probably a nice track at the local high school you could use. ;)

ps.You just described most of northern New England hiking... You may want not want to bother hiking it and stick to the track. :D

Smile
10-22-2010, 12:31
PA I can do without.

tdoczi
10-22-2010, 12:51
If you don't like trees, why do you hike? No matter how boring, I prefer beautiful nature to the gray cubicle wall I currently have to look at.

one doesnt have to like hiking everywhere in order to like hiking. sure anyplace might be better than nothing but most of us can actually chose where to hike and not just take whatever we can.

warraghiyagey
10-22-2010, 12:59
A thread designed to be negative. . . . how original. . .

Jeff
10-22-2010, 13:04
My new least favorite state is Vermont. Did the entire state this year with part of it in July and the rest last week. The rocks aren't as bad but throw in constant mud and tree roots and I believe it is much worse. Having to look down most of the day sucks and when you do get a view it's pretty much the same evergreen trees. My understanding is the Long Trail is even worse after it splits off so I won't be doing that.

Interesting take. However, almost without exception NOBO thruhikers tell me they are so excited to get to Vermont and back into forests, mountains and wilderness. They always comment on how sweet the spruce forests smell at elevation.

Moose2001
10-22-2010, 13:15

But, if you don't like trees, rocks and roots there is a probably a nice track at the local high school you could use. ;)

ps.You just described most of northern New England hiking... You may want not want to bother hiking it and stick to the track. :D

Yeah.....I second Mags' suggestion. Vermont is a great place to hike! If you can't get excited about being back in the mountains and forest.....the high school track sounds like a good place to go.

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2010, 13:25
Wow, in my experience, most hikers I know LOVE Vermont. And what a shock
it must have been to belatedly discover that a state whose name in French means "Green Mountain" and whose nickname is the "Green Mountain State" is full of trees. Live and learn......

But to get back to the OP's question, I don't have a least favorite A.T. State. I think they're all great, tho I might hike them in different seasons than I've done in the past. Meaning Pennsylvania? Not so awful as people say. Hike Pennsylvania in July again? Probably not.

woodsy
10-22-2010, 13:35
Maine, worst state ever, up/down...up/down...mud, mud, roots and more roots. Oh, and rocks....granite type.

gravityman
10-22-2010, 13:52
I think it all comes down to state of mind when you are hiking. We found the northern long trail to be miserable with few views and incredible steep hiking with few rewards (top of mountain with a sign and long trees all around to see). On our AT thru we found the worst to be the rain and the bugs. These seemed to be state independent, but rather seasonally variable...

Torch09
10-22-2010, 14:14
Put me down as a PA hater. Sure, any day on the trail is better than any day at work, but i've never been injured while hiking until i twisted my ankle on those sole/soul destorying rocks. Vermont has some of the most extensive bog bridging, if i recall correctly. Maybe PA could take the hint and build a walkway over the rocks? haha

Toolshed
10-22-2010, 14:21
If you don't like trees, why do you hike? ....
That seems somewhat simplistic, but over trees, I prefer vistas, balds, summits and broad treeless peaks (except for Krumholz).

Toolshed
10-22-2010, 14:22
I think it all comes down to state of mind when you are hiking.... Nicely done!!:sun

jersey joe
10-22-2010, 14:40
Least favorite states in order...
1) PA
2) Connecticut
3) Massachussetts
4) Maryland
5) New York
6) Vermont
7) Tennessee
8) Georgia
9) North Carolina
10) West Virginia
11) Maine
12) New Jersey
13) Virginia
14) New Hampshire
It should be noted, there are no states where I wouldn't ever hike again.

Tilly
10-22-2010, 14:55
1) PA
2) Connecticut
3) Massachussetts
4) Maryland
5) New York
6) Vermont
7) Tennessee
8) Georgia
9) North Carolina
10) West Virginia
11) Maine
12) New Jersey
13) Virginia
14) New Hampshire

That's funny. I has a wonderful hike through NY, CT, Mass. and Maryland. Really loved those sections.

Tilly
10-22-2010, 14:56
Although admittedly I don't think I would ever rehike the Duncannon-Del Water Gap section. Has some highlights and views, but there is better hiking elsewhere.

Pony
10-22-2010, 14:56
Interesting take. However, almost without exception NOBO thruhikers tell me they are so excited to get to Vermont and back into forests, mountains and wilderness. They always comment on how sweet the spruce forests smell at elevation.

Agreed, I was elated to be in Vermont. When I climbed the fire tower on Stratton Mtn. I looked around and for the first time in many weeks I felt like I was at a part of the trail where I wanted to be, not just trying to get to the next cool spot. And yes, the Spruce forests smell delicious. Other than trying to hike after lunch at the Whistlestop, I didn't think Vermont was too difficult.

And.... Pennsylvania sucks.

Moose2001
10-22-2010, 15:12
Agreed, I was elated to be in Vermont. When I climbed the fire tower on Stratton Mtn. I looked around and for the first time in many weeks I felt like I was at a part of the trail where I wanted to be, not just trying to get to the next cool spot. And yes, the Spruce forests smell delicious. Other than trying to hike after lunch at the Whistlestop, I didn't think Vermont was too difficult.

And.... Pennsylvania sucks.

Ahhh....the Whistlestop! Have you seen what they call a 3 egg omlet? Not even a thru can finish it. And home fries covered in gravy! OMG!!! I'm jonesin for them just thinking about it!

Driver8
10-22-2010, 15:54
Agreed, I was elated to be in Vermont. When I climbed the fire tower on Stratton Mtn. I looked around and for the first time in many weeks I felt like I was at a part of the trail where I wanted to be, not just trying to get to the next cool spot. And yes, the Spruce forests smell delicious.

I'm surprised you didn't feel that way at Greylock/Saddleball, which for me are pure chocolatey awesomeness. Love the boreal spruce/fir crowning forest and on the clear days I was there recently, the views from the summit, especially the memorial, are superb - Mt. Washington, faintly, in the distance, Castkills in the other direction, dadgum near all the way to Boston, Adriondacks far north and west. And then there's the sheer immensity of the beast - there's ample reason why it was Melville's muse for Moby-Dick. I love Stratton, too, but Greylock, imo, rocks.

weary
10-22-2010, 16:00
Maine, worst state ever, up/down...up/down...mud, mud, roots and more roots. Oh, and rocks....granite type.
Don't mind Woodsy. He's just trying to keep you tourists away so you don't clutter up his favorite trails.

Weary

tdoczi
10-22-2010, 16:34
That's funny. I has a wonderful hike through NY, CT, Mass. and Maryland. Really loved those sections.

this will probably sound like i'm trying to start a fight, but its really more of a "maybe i missed something" sort of question-- besides the very beginning and very end, whats really worthwhile in MA?

Driver8
10-22-2010, 16:58
this will probably sound like i'm trying to start a fight, but its really more of a "maybe i missed something" sort of question-- besides the very beginning and very end, whats really worthwhile in MA?

The first 10 miles and the last 20 are pretty awesome, are they not? And I've heard good things about Upper Goose Pond Lodge and the Cheshire Cobbles, and crossing the Mass Pike is fun for some, I gather. Blueberry farm up the hill to the north from the Pike also gets good mentions.

I can see where some would find the mud in Vermont frustrating, but I love the spruce and fir and the fresh, clean air. The views are awfully nice from the high spots, as well, from the little I've seen so far. ...

double d
10-22-2010, 17:15

Well put Mags, Vermont is a wonderful state to hike in, I just completed the AT in Vermont this past summer, can't believe someone would complain about Vermont. Maybe a local sidewalk will work well for some folks, but give me the AT/LT in Vermont any day.

Red Hat
10-22-2010, 17:19
I believe that it has a great deal to do with when you hike a certain state. I found the begining of PA to be great, but didn't like the rest... partly because of the rocks, but mostly because of the heat. Same for NY, CT, and MA (bad heat!) On the other hand, I enjoyed VT because it suddenly got cooler. Each state on the AT has things to make them favorable or unfavorable. I would hike any state again. As difficult as Maine was for me, I loved the pond sections!

double d
10-22-2010, 17:22
1) PA
2) Connecticut
3) Massachussetts
4) Maryland
5) New York
6) Vermont
7) Tennessee
8) Georgia
9) North Carolina
10) West Virginia
11) Maine
12) New Jersey
13) Virginia
14) New Hampshire

"Say it aint' so, Joe"! Vermont at 6th? and Jersey at 12th? I love the list Jersey Joe (ohhh, now I understand why you have NJ so high!). Gotta love Vermont higher on my list, but hey, its your list and its cool that you listed them in the order you did.

max patch
10-22-2010, 17:50
My "least favorite" state was West Virginia only because it was so darn short.

tdoczi
10-22-2010, 18:07
The first 10 miles and the last 20 are pretty awesome, are they not? And I've heard good things about Upper Goose Pond Lodge and the Cheshire Cobbles, and crossing the Mass Pike is fun for some, I gather. Blueberry farm up the hill to the north from the Pike also gets good mentions.

i did enjoy crossing the turnpike, i didnt detour to upper goose pond cabin and i am completely unaware of blueberries. in fairness it was raining when i crossed the cheshire cobbles, but even assuming they are awesome, thats still a lot of trail to hold 3 or 4 points of interest. and none of them between the mass pike and jug end.

jersey joe
10-22-2010, 18:14
"Say it aint' so, Joe"! Vermont at 6th? and Jersey at 12th? I love the list Jersey Joe (ohhh, now I understand why you have NJ so high!). Gotta love Vermont higher on my list, but hey, its your list and its cool that you listed them in the order you did.
To be fair, I loved hiking through Vermont. It's tough to rank them all...I know NH and VA are on top and PA is on the bottom, after that they are all pretty darn close! And i'll freely admit my NJ bias!

4shot
10-22-2010, 20:22
this will not be a popular opinion but nonetheless it is mine....Maine, while being a beautiful state full of wonderful people, apparently doesn't have the resources/population to do adequate trail maintenance. While there are ample signs warning one to stay on the trail to protect fragile alpine plants, many times the board walks around/over some of these areas are so haphazard and poorly maintained I walked around them (thank God it was a dry year) due to safety concerns.At many points I felt like there really wasn't a "trail" at all.

If it were up to me, which I realize it isn't, I would award Maine's 270 miles or so to Georgia where there are enough people nearby in the metro Atlanta area to maintain a trail. This is not a slam to the AT volunteers in Maine as they do a great job but there just isn't enough of them apparently to do a decent job on that many miles.

Having said that, the Antlers campsite in the 100 mile wilderness was maybe my favorite campite on the entire trail.

weary
10-22-2010, 21:24
this will not be a popular opinion but nonetheless it is mine....Maine, while being a beautiful state full of wonderful people, apparently doesn't have the resources/population to do adequate trail maintenance. While there are ample signs warning one to stay on the trail to protect fragile alpine plants, many times the board walks around/over some of these areas are so haphazard and poorly maintained I walked around them (thank God it was a dry year) due to safety concerns.At many points I felt like there really wasn't a "trail" at all.

If it were up to me, which I realize it isn't, I would award Maine's 270 miles or so to Georgia where there are enough people nearby in the metro Atlanta area to maintain a trail. This is not a slam to the AT volunteers in Maine as they do a great job but there just isn't enough of them apparently to do a decent job on that many miles.

Having said that, the Antlers campsite in the 100 mile wilderness was maybe my favorite campite on the entire trail.
I guess it depends on what one is looking for. Ideal trails tend to have been tempered by millions of footsteps over multiple decades. You won't find that here. Maine has no graded trails. No trails smoothed by many decades and multi-millions of footprints. We have a small state population. Our tourists concentrate on coastal beaches. Not wild mountains.

But if one is looking for a trail through the wildest mountains in the east, Maine has them. No amount of maintenance, can quickly replace time and multitudes of users. Come back in a century or so, and see how great we are, providing we can remain wild, a big if.

Weary www.matlt.org

Roche
10-22-2010, 22:56
The State of Intoxication can make any state better.

Odd Man Out
10-22-2010, 23:04

OK then let's all pick our 13 favorite states ;)

12ax7
10-22-2010, 23:23
PA wuz a Cake walk. and a beautiful place. dont know why everyone complains. hope to be back thru there someday. rocks for an old KY boy aint no big deal.

weary
10-22-2010, 23:34
OK then let's all pick our 13 favorite states ;)
Sorry. No can do. Now if you want my 14 favorite states, I can oblige.

SassyWindsor
10-22-2010, 23:53
Easy, my least favorite state(s) are all but the one I'm currently hiking. It's like asking a mother with 14 kids which is her least favorite.

Driver8
10-23-2010, 00:27
i did enjoy crossing the turnpike, i didnt detour to upper goose pond cabin and i am completely unaware of blueberries. in fairness it was raining when i crossed the cheshire cobbles, but even assuming they are awesome, thats still a lot of trail to hold 3 or 4 points of interest. and none of them between the mass pike and jug end.

There's a big blueberry farm whose owner is a nice lady who is , indulgent of hikers, especially thrus, so I gather, a couple miles east of the AT about 7-8 miles north or the Mass Pike, so I've read. There are nice views back toward Everett, Race and Bear, etc., from the hills east of Sheffield, MA. I've heard many raves about Upper Goose Pond and the Cabin, and there's supposed to be a large, really cool beaver-made pond a few miles south of there.

And besides, the stretch from Sages Ravine to Jug End - including the Bear Rock Stream Falls *and* Race Brook Falls, only a few miles apart and short detours off the AT, with steep precipitous falls along the eastern Taconic Escarpment, all these are pretty doggone nice!

I'm kinda agreeing that the point of this thread, dissing this or that state, is poorly placed. When you can celebrate what you enjoy, why dwell on what do don't? Hellfire, many a thru summits Kathadin in miserable weather with terrible views. Does that mean it's not an awesome mountain? I think the question answers itself. ...

tdoczi
10-23-2010, 00:35
I'm kinda agreeing that the point of this thread, dissing this or that state, is poorly placed. When you can celebrate what you enjoy, why dwell on what do don't? Hellfire, many a thru summits Kathadin in miserable weather with terrible views. Does that mean it's not an awesome mountain? I think the question answers itself. ...

part of knowing what you enjoy is knowing what you dont enjoy. all i'm saying, and it seems to be inline with the original intent of the OP, is i'll never step foot on the AT between jug end and cheshire again unless some really odd circunstances somehow dictate i should do so. i would also never reccomend it to anyone for any purpose besides hiking it because it is the AT. theres just better places to hike. i dont even think i'd like hiking if everywhere you could hike was like that.

i especially think the comments to the OP that he shoould stick to the track at the local HS are really funny when a couple of threads down hes talking about how much he enjoyed hiking in the whites.

Sarcasm the elf
10-23-2010, 00:39
I can think of 36 states that come to mind, though that number may shrink if I ever make it to the PCT.

Driver8
10-23-2010, 00:46
part of knowing what you enjoy is knowing what you dont enjoy. all i'm saying, and it seems to be inline with the original intent of the OP, is i'll never step foot on the AT between jug end and cheshire again unless some really odd circunstances somehow dictate i should do so ...

Personally, I want to see the big beaver pond and Upper Goose Pond, and I'm definitely down for the blueberry farm lady's hospitality. But to each his own!

I will say, even as a very new (by these boards' standards) hiking enthusiast, I have gotten to the point where I'm getting more discriminating in my choice of hiking destination. There are plenty of places I'd sooner go than the stretch of AT we're discussing - Killington area, VT, LT up around Mansfield/Camel's Hump, Jay, The Whites, Equinox and Dorset in VT, the Shenandoahs, the Smokies, Mt. Tom and Holyoke Range area of Mass, AT south of Salisbury in CT, Catskills. Of course the advantage of that stretch of AT is it's relatively nearby. Can't every time drive four hours or more before starting a hike - impractical.

fiddlehead
10-23-2010, 08:50
WV (it's too short)
They're all good.

Louisiana hiking isn't one of my top 10 though

4shot
10-23-2010, 09:01
Come back in a century or so, and see how great we are, providing we can remain wild, a big if.

Weary www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)

after my centennial anniversary thru-hike, which I plan on doing SOBO.;) (I figure it will take that long for me to want to eat Ramen, Knorrs pasta, and tuna in a pouch again!)

Slo-go'en
10-23-2010, 09:28
I've thru hiked PA twice now. Even though the first 1/3d or so of the state (southen end) is reasonably pleasent, I have no compelling reason to hike through PA a third time.

weary
10-23-2010, 10:37
No state sticks out in my mind as not being enjoyable on my long walk in 1993. (And in 1995 when I picked up a few missed miles.) The states that provide particularly fond memories include Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, (no place else had a long table of goodies waiting for a church picnic. It seemed only friendly to snitch a sample), New Jersey, (Obviously a wilderness. It's the only state where I was bothered by prowling bears), New York (where a 1995 view of New York city's twin towers are now indelibly etched in my mind), Connecticut (where a dozen wild turkeys blocked my path,) Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and especially Maine, (where fond 1993 memories build on decades of fond memories.)

Weary

woodsy
10-23-2010, 10:49
Don't mind Woodsy. He's just trying to keep you tourists away so you don't clutter up his favorite trails.

Weary

I thought they were pilgrims.
But yeah, from now till June i own the trails. :sun

greenmtnboy
10-23-2010, 15:56
NY--too crowded, proximity to cities, etc.; trails through NY were not memorable.

Pedaling Fool
10-23-2010, 17:09
This is all I remember from NY. I have forgotten about the carnival-like atmosphere near bear mountain, please don't remind me.

tf bear
10-23-2010, 18:48
Come on Pee Aaa isn't so bad. Just cause you have rocks every where doesn't make you a bad state.

fredmugs
10-25-2010, 07:25
This thread is a great example of thru hiker perspective vice section hiker perspective. As a section hiker I started in VT and hiked SOBO to Cheshire. Would VT be more enjoyable after getting through CT and MA? Would it be more enjoyable if you just SOBO thru ME and NH? Probably.

I realize I'm in the minority here but I am section hiking as a personal physical challenge to motivate me to stay in shape. The only time I hike is when I do section hikes. If scenery was the most important thing I would hike in Colorado because there is nothng on the AT that can compare.

BTW - I agree, Indiana sucks. Once I complete the AT I will start hiking out west scouting places to retire to.

Driver8
10-25-2010, 08:28
I realize I'm in the minority here but I am section hiking as a personal physical challenge to motivate me to stay in shape. The only time I hike is when I do section hikes. If scenery was the most important thing I would hike in Colorado because there is nothng on the AT that can compare.

I like the health and fitness benefits AND the awesome scenery and experience of nature. Multiple benes!

emerald
10-25-2010, 08:40
When you can celebrate what you enjoy, why dwell on what you don't?

To properly prepare others to share in the self-imposed misery you once experienced and to recruit them to aid in your efforts!:D

Tilly
10-25-2010, 09:09

Hmm, I liked the beginning and the ends for sure. I remember some nice fields full of flowers, big ponds, and hemlock forests. The cabin at upper goose pond had a lake that you could canoe on, and I spent a happy afternoon doing just that. I really loved Sherman Brooke Campsite. By a fluke of luck the hostel on Mt. Greylock was open (in 09 they were only intermittantly open) during a freezing cold windy day, and I got to have some hot coffee and toast. Yum. And for some reason it was the only state where I just by accident had coffee every single morning I was there. There was one day that was admittedly kind of boring, but that's just the way it is. I do remember some spots had a lot of damage from an ice storm.

Actually this is not a popular viewpoint but I remember the towns, trail, and people to be very nice. I like walking around a new town almost as much as I like the trail. Mass. was nice that way. I guess I just have good memories of it that's all.

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2010, 09:27
If scenery was the most important thing I would hike in Colorado because there is nothng on the AT that can compare.
I bet if Florida became part of the AT (It's already part of the IAT) --- I know it's not going to happpen.

But if it were people would hate Florida because of the scenery or lack of. A big reason why I have no urge to cycle through Fl is because it's hard enough riding down A1A between Jacksonville and St Augustine -- only about 30 miles, but it's the most boring 30 miles I've ever ridden. Just a straight road with the ocean on one side and palm frongs lining the road --- and absolutely no shade. The only thing worse would be to walk the beach...

I think scenery is very important, but if it's unchanging then it becomes monotonous, regardless of how "beautiful" it is.

Mags
10-25-2010, 09:28
Th
I realize I'm in the minority here but I am section hiking as a personal physical challenge to motivate me to stay in shape. .

As long as the trail is smooth and not too difficult that is. :p

FWIW: My first long hike was on the Long Trail in VT. Essentially a section hike of the AT for the first 100 miles. Having cut my backpacking teeth in NH, I thought the southern part of the LT was on the easier side. (Northern LT? Not so much)

I bet if Florida became part of the AT (It's already part of the IAT) --- I know it's not going to happpen.

Poutine in Florida...I like it!!!!

Unless Florida moved very far to the north, it is not part of the IAT. ;) It is part of the unofficial ECT, though...

tdoczi
10-25-2010, 10:41
Actually this is not a popular viewpoint but I remember the towns, trail, and people to be very nice. I like walking around a new town almost as much as I like the trail. Mass. was nice that way. I guess I just have good memories of it that's all.

it does seem like i might have missed something by not spending time at upper goose pond, easily enough remedied though with barely doing any hiking if i so desire.

and i think the thing about the towns is another thing to file under the difference between section hikers and thru or long distance hikers. since i'm generally only out for a few days at a time coming to a town is more of a drag than a benefit for the most part. especially when you really have to walk through them like cheshire or dalton. i didnt mind stopping in sheffield for a bottle of soda real quick though.

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2010, 10:53
Do you have any states you will never hike in again?

For years I hated PA not only because of the rocks but because there's really not much to see. Once you've seen one farm the rest of them all look pretty much the same.

No problems with any other state - just these two.

WV (it's too short)
They're all good.

Fred the diversity and the differences is what you make of it, I prefer the woods and the rocks of PA vs. the flat swampy parts of central NJ. And a little mud on the boots is a right of passage. Find your happy pill - the red or the blue one......;)

Driver8
10-25-2010, 11:06
To properly prepare others to share in the self-imposed misery you once experienced and to recruit them to aid in your efforts!:D

Uplifting as ever! :) :sun :banana

emerald
10-25-2010, 11:14
I couldn't agree more with your earlier post and that's why I repeated it.

emerald
10-25-2010, 11:56
I think scenery is very important, but if it's unchanging then it becomes monotonous, regardless of how "beautiful" it is.

John calls to our attention an attribute of the Kittatinny Ridge which may contribute to hiker complaints about Pennsylvania. Kittatinny for those who don't know means endless which might imply changeless.

Ordinarily disgruntled hikers won't cite that as the source of their displeasure and there is far more range to the changing patterns in the landscape here than registers in the minds of many through hikers who often overlook the finer details revealed only upon closer inspection and contemplation.

Pleasant surprises are to be expected by the observant hiker who maintains a positive outlook.

Driver8
10-25-2010, 12:17
I couldn't agree more with your earlier post and that's why I repeated it.

I'm guessing this is for me. Thanks! :) I'm developing the sense that you have a wry, understated subtlety that must carefully be minded, which I'd venture, if I may, is to your credit. Cheers.

fredmugs
10-25-2010, 12:20
Fred the diversity and the differences is what you make of it, I prefer the woods and the rocks of PA vs. the flat swampy parts of central NJ. And a little mud on the boots is a right of passage. Find your happy pill - the red or the blue one......;)

I'm always happy to see that first white blaze every time I head out. I even take a picture of it.

As someone else mentioned if you see the same thing long enough it becomes monotonous. The views from the Stratton and Glastonberry fire towers were awesome. Sunset and sunrise at Kid Gore shelter was great too. I just spent too much time with my head down to get much enjoyment out of VT. It's not hard - just dreary.

Favorite AT state is VA. From the James River to Damascus you can't go wrong and, of course, SNP is cake.

4shot
10-25-2010, 14:06
Pleasant surprises are to be expected by the observant hiker who maintains a positive outlook.

do not finish the trail. With that being said, I think most hikers have "favorite" places and therefore do "categorize" things accordingly. I think it is a valid topic for discussion although another person said that the experience may be viewed differently depend on various internal and external factors. For example, Grayson Highlands is one of my favorite areas on the trail. However when I went through there this year it was damp, cold and foggy such that visibility was no more than 10 feet or so. Going over Whitecap Mtn. was one of the most miserable days of my life with sustained high winds in addition to the rain and cold. If I had not day hiked there previously I would have no idea how spectacular this area really is. My perception would have been more along the lines of "I got through it".

I really wish that I could say that every day and every single mile on the trail was equally spectacular but the reality of it, at least for me, was that some days/places were better than others.

emerald
10-25-2010, 14:21
Some locations come up consistently on these lists. My quoted comment was intended to apply to one of them.

With some people, it's as if they are of two minds constantly at odds with one another and the trail. Somehow, they still manage to finish in spite of themselves.

Maybe it's some sort of a love triangle or just pride. Someone else will need to explain it.

Pony
10-25-2010, 14:53
Aside from the rocks, I think there are other reasons that people have for not liking Pa., that they may not even realize. For most NOBO's it starts getting really hot in Pa, and at least when I went through the skeeters were starting to come out. Also water was becoming scarce and it seemed like a lot of the sources were a significant way off the trail, usually 500' off the ridge. And then there's the mental aspect. When you get to Pa, you're half way done with the trail and the novelty for most has worn off. You start to realize that you've come a long way, but still have a long way to go.

That being said, I do believe that every state has something to offer. One of my most memorable moments was in Pa. For several hours I walked under a spectacular aerial display of A-10's and Chinook helicopters near Indiantown Gap. While taking a break a helicopter flew directly over me at treetop level causing the trees to sway violently. Really cool day on the trail.

Also I think Maryland gets overlooked. So many people rush through Md that they don't pay attention to anything around them. I enjoy history and took almost five days to walk through Maryland.

emerald
10-25-2010, 15:12
Why is it northbound through hikers complain more than their counterparts, given that southbounders arrive [in Pennsylvania] toward the end of summer when the conditions are more trying?

Driver8
10-25-2010, 15:22
Why is it northbound through hikers complain more than their counterparts, given that southbounders arrive toward the end of summer when the conditions are more trying?

Fresher legs for the hardest parts, I imagine.

Driver8
10-25-2010, 15:28
Fresher legs for the hardest parts, I imagine.

To be clear, Southbounders have these fresher legs, while NOBOs are pretty beat, mostly, by the time the white rear their fearsome heads.

Driver8
10-25-2010, 15:29
To be clear, Southbounders have these fresher legs, while NOBOs are pretty beat, mostly, by the time the white rear their fearsome heads.

Frick. The Whites rear their heads, that is. How much moolah does one have to chip in in order to get editing privileges?

emerald
10-25-2010, 15:34
I ordinarily donate $10. I don't know if smaller donations are permitted by PayPal or if there is any minimum to obtain full privileges. Surely you realize Pennsylvania is still home to the midpoint.

There is something about northbound A.T. through hikes that causes at least some hikers to begin to direct their focus more inwardly beyond the Susquehanna where they discover they are not happy hikers.

In their attempts to discover why they are unhappy, they look everywhere but within themselves where their dissatisfaction is rooted and fed. Instead of changing what they can, their thoughts, they imagine how their experience might be different were it not for rocks, heat, humidity, dehydration or whatever else does not suit them.

Of course, many of these things cannot be changed. Instead hikers must change themselves by finding a more productive approach and accepting they are responsible for their own happiness.

Jester2000
10-25-2010, 15:55

Two words: Cheese Monument.

Aside from that, I would say that in addition to the very beginning and the very end, the very middle is also enjoyable, as long as you're hiking with me.

Take note, whiteblazers: I enjoyed every state, for different reasons. So to avoid the sort of weirdness that leads one to dislike Maine or Pennsylvania or Vermont, to guarantee that every state is the sort of place you'd like to return to, hike with me. And return there with me. And yes, eat cheese there with me!

Driver8
10-25-2010, 16:01
Pennsylvania is still is home to the midpoint.

True. Reading comprehension issue. Duly noted. One could say that the percentage of effort expended by the time a SOBO reaches PA is greater, Dunno. Maybe heading south is just preferable, generally warmer. Good question.

neighbor dave
10-25-2010, 16:01
:-? think geographic, not political. :-?

werbitt
10-26-2010, 18:37
They're all good

BradMT
10-29-2010, 20:28
My least favorite states are everything south of the VT border...

emerald
10-30-2010, 01:57
Care to tell us why?

Forever North
10-30-2010, 03:09
I have enjoyed all of each state that I have been to and I have been through them all. They all have different challenge's that are to be over come. Like the rocks in Pa, and the roots and black fly’s in Maine. It's the challenge itself that is in each state that we must face or go home. Other then the miles of this trail they have made the trail fairly easy to hike. I remember going through Pa back in 1996 and the rocks and heat just about killed me back then but, I had a fantastic time in doing it and making it through. When I came through in 2005 I really thought the Pa rocks were a joke. They were very short lived. Lets remove some of the shelters and keep a few blow down in the way to make a hiker use their judgment. It's the challenge of the trail and the nature in witch we hike in that keeps bring me back to the AT. I can not give one state I didn't like.

10-K
10-30-2010, 07:44
Least favorite state....

New Hampshire - For difficulty
Pennsylvania - Rockiest
West VA - Least views
Maryland - No coffee close to trail

Note that the aforementioned states had many positiives.

It's a sacrilege to say it, but if I HAD to pick a state I wouldn't hike in again it would be New Hampshire. Straight up, straight down, straight up, straight down..... all rocks - I bet there's not a bucketfull of dirt in NH.... :)

But, the only time I've ever sat down and contemplated going back instead of going forward was in NY, between Bear Mt. and Vernon. There was SO much ice it was really, really hard (and dangerous with me being alone). The only reason I decided to keep going forward was because I knew going back would be extremely difficult and I was willing to gamble that what was in front of me wouldn't be as bad as what was behind me.

earlyriser26
10-30-2010, 07:54
I have hiked almost everything from the PA border south and I loved every state. I have also almost finished Maine (hard, but still my favorite state) and part of NH. I guess I am the kid that leaves his vegatables for last.

gravityman
11-02-2010, 13:03
This is all I remember from NY. I have forgotten about the carnival-like atmosphere near bear mountain, please don't remind me.

Those vultures scared the bejesus out of me! I came aroudn the corner, and there were these wierd downie feathery things scrambling around like from the Dark Crystal movie. My wife laughed for the next few miles at my startled 'little girl' scream...

Thanks for the memories with the pics...