PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the upward trend?

Pedaling Fool
10-22-2010, 20:20
We all know there's not a whole lot of accuracy in the numbers posted every year indicating the number of starting thru-hikers, but it seems that the numbers are starting to climb again (starting in 2008) after a steady decline since 2000.

Is this because:

1. Better accounting practices
2. A statistical anomaly
3. The economy
4. Some other reason

Please explain

BTW, I'm not really interested in the number of completed thru-hikers since I really don't put much faith into that number. I'm generally just curious of what gets potential thru-hikers out there.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805579/k.DA92/2000Milers_Facts_and_Statistics.htm

:-?

Deadeye
10-22-2010, 20:33
I'll make 2 uneducated guesses: the economy, and a growing number of retiring baby boomers.

Carbo
10-22-2010, 21:08
John,
I think the economy, plus the boomers coming of retirement age have both started a surge of hikers. Being layed-off within 2 years of retirement, plus an ok severance launched me off to planning the AT thru in 2011. A bit earlier than I expected, but certainly welcomed, I have to believe the AT thru-hikers are going to be a an older age group and more plentiful. I'm at the beginning of the "boom", there are another 60 milion behind me. Of course I can't project how many are capable of, or would consider a thru, but I'm sure you will see a suge.

Skidsteer
10-22-2010, 21:10
People are losing their jobs.

Hell, if I lose mine, I'm going too.

Carbo
10-22-2010, 21:32
Skids,
You just have to do your best at work, and do what is needed. If your company still lets you go, then they are the one that has the problem. Go hike, or move on to better things for you.

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2010, 21:44
Don't forget that the first wave of the baby boomer's children are now graduating college, often with little prospect of immediately getting a job.

I had read an article three or four years ago (just before the recession) that said there has been a general resurgence in most outdoor activities. I think it quoted something like a 10% increase in national parks visitors and campground use in the previous two years, but then again my memory is somewhat of a blender...

kayak karl
10-22-2010, 21:55
People are losing their jobs.

Hell, if I lose mine, I'm going too.
close thread, question answered. :)

Miner
10-22-2010, 22:13
Thru-hiking is cheap compared to paying rent or other forms of travel so its a natural fit for unemployed people in a bad economy. I'm hoping that I'm unemployed again in 2 or 3 years so I can do my next thru-hike of the CDT or AT.

IronGutsTommy
10-22-2010, 23:48
yeah when the economy falters people look for ways to rejuvenate themselves, restore some lost confidence or faith in humanity perhaps. also one that wasnt really mentioned is just that slowly, the fattest nation per capita on the planet is warming up to exercise and recreation. Films like supersize me and that michael moore one about our health care system and other factors are slowly moving us towards exercise. it wasnt but 10, 15 years ago people would rather eat cabbage soup 3 meals a day rather than raise their heart rate through some good ol exercise. one last idea is that older generations years ago did not always plan for retirement and therefore needed to work almost until they were no longer physically able to do so. more and more retirees nowadays are entering retirement more physically fit and vibrant.. of course these are just my opinions, i could be wrong.

Skidsteer
10-23-2010, 00:08
yeah when the economy falters people look for ways to rejuvenate themselves, restore some lost confidence or faith in humanity perhaps. also one that wasnt really mentioned is just that slowly, the fattest nation per capita on the planet is warming up to exercise and recreation. Films like supersize me and that michael moore one about our health care system and other factors are slowly moving us towards exercise. it wasnt but 10, 15 years ago people would rather eat cabbage soup 3 meals a day rather than raise their heart rate through some good ol exercise. one last idea is that older generations years ago did not always plan for retirement and therefore needed to work almost until they were no longer physically able to do so. more and more retirees nowadays are entering retirement more physically fit and vibrant.. of course these are just my opinions, i could be wrong.

Yes, you're wrong, but it will all work out if you let one of us old fuddy-duddys teach you about paragraphs.

I'll be with you as soon as I finish my cabbage soup.

Roland
10-23-2010, 03:40
I'm hoping that I'm unemployed again in 2 or 3 years ~

Be careful what you wish for.

Spokes
10-23-2010, 06:20
The 3 most common reasons heard from Thru's when asked why they're hiking the trail are (in no particular order):

1- Retirement
2- Divorce
3- Graduation

NCcummins
10-26-2010, 13:12
I wanted to hike when I graduated high school in 2008, but I jumped right into college. Now being a junior, I have decided to take the year off, and hike the trail. Instead of graduating in 2012, I will graduate in 2013 (or close to that). My father is helping me financially to hike the trail, so I thought now would be the best time to do so!

Luddite
10-26-2010, 13:22
I have decided to take the year off, and hike the trail. Instead of graduating in 2012, I will graduate in 2013 (or close to that).

I don't know how to tell you this, but...ummm...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11iCmzGnOI8

NCcummins
10-26-2010, 13:24
I don't know how to tell you this, but...ummm...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11iCmzGnOI8

looks like I'm screwed ;)

flemdawg1
10-26-2010, 14:02
Don't forget that the first wave of the baby boomer's children are now graduating college, often with little prospect of immediately getting a job.

I had read an article three or four years ago (just before the recession) that said there has been a general resurgence in most outdoor activities. I think it quoted something like a 10% increase in national parks visitors and campground use in the previous two years, but then again my memory is somewhat of a blender...

Baby boomer's kids are long out of college (I'm 38), the Gen-Xer's kids are now graduating.

weary
10-26-2010, 16:10
What are you suggesting? That the kid should complete his education quickly if he wants to get it done before the end.

Or the opposite, that he better hike quickly if he wants to get his certificate before the world ends.

NCcummins
10-27-2010, 01:39
What are you suggesting? That the kid should complete his education quickly if he wants to get it done before the end.

Or the opposite, that he better hike quickly if he wants to get his certificate before the world ends.

I'll take the second option...minus the hiking quickly, but more like enjoying it before the world ends; if this is what he is suggesting :D