PDA

View Full Version : Week vacation trip in NC, suggestions?

alverhootzt
10-22-2010, 22:35
I have a week to take a backpacking trip in North Carolina with a friend who is probably in semi-decent shape (keep in mind we're 40), but she hasn't hiked with a pack since the army. Any suggestions for a 40-60 mile (best to leave a few days of the week for cusion imo something always seems to go awry.), easy to moderate section? Any help appreciated.

STICK
10-23-2010, 15:06
You could hike the AT from Hot Springs NC to Davenport, or to Standing Bear Hostel.It is about 40 miles. Get a shuttle from Standing Bear to Hot Springs and then hike back to your car at Hot Springs.

Kerosene
10-23-2010, 15:16
Start at Winding Stair Gap (US-64 outside of Franklin, NC) and hike north to Fontana Dam.

If you want an easier first few days, then have a shuttler take you up the Forest Service road to Deep Gap, which is 24 miles south of Winding Stair Gap, and end at the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC), which is about 52 miles I think.

bigcranky
10-23-2010, 15:58
Winding Stair to Fontana is the best 6-7 day, 60 mile hike in NC. Moderate it ain't, but it's so worth the effort. Plan to spend a night at Nantahala Outdoor Center in the bunkhouse, and have dinner and breakfast at the restaurant right on the river.

Moose2001
10-23-2010, 16:47
Winding Stair to Fontana is the best 6-7 day, 60 mile hike in NC. Moderate it ain't, but it's so worth the effort. Plan to spend a night at Nantahala Outdoor Center in the bunkhouse, and have dinner and breakfast at the restaurant right on the river.

Big Cranky's right. It's a really pretty section and worth the effort. You'll enjoy the views and the hiking.

alverhootzt
10-23-2010, 20:55
thank you so much. just the sort of info i was looking for!

bigcranky
10-23-2010, 21:23
Just to be clear, that section is one of the toughest in the South. But, as I said, it's awesome.

If you want something nice but a lot easier, the 50 miles from Damascus, VA, southbound to Dennis Cove Road (Kincora Hostel) are also very nice. Way easier. It's a nice ridgeline walk, great in the late fall when the leaves are off the trees. And Damascus is a terrific trail town.

Daydream Believer
10-24-2010, 09:38
I just finished the Winding Stair Gap to Fontana section. It was the toughest I've done so far but I've only done Springer to Fontana. I'm told though that it is a hard section and judging from the pain in my knees and feet, I'd agree.

It WAS beautiful. The views were stupendous and I've taken the nicest pics of anywhere on the AT to date.

An easier hike would be Deep Gap to NOC for certain. The section down into NOC from Wesser Bald is a very long downhill and it jammed the heck out of my knees and feet but the climbs in that section are easier than the next one from NOC to Fontana. I did not think I'd ever get up Stecoah Gap without crawling. My God...I actually thought the climb out of NOC and the Jump up was easier than than going up Stecoah Gap Nobo. It might be I was just worn down a bit by then...not sure...but it was steep.

Good Luck and have a great hike!

George
10-24-2010, 11:23
smokies offers a lot of loops to avoid shuttling and shorten miles if needed, also this time of year it is nice to be in the national park and leave other areas for hunters

10-K
10-24-2010, 13:22
If you want easy to moderate like your post says you probably won't like the section around Winding Stair Gap - as others have mentioned that's a tough area.

I'd recommend anywhere else in NC *but* that to tell you the truth.

I don't think you can pick out a bad 60-70 mile section of trail anywhere in NC that doesn't have some great views - and there will be a lot more in the next few weeks as the leaves fall.

STICK
10-24-2010, 20:42

You talking about the restaurant on the river in Hot Springs?

10-K
10-24-2010, 20:46
You talking about the restaurant on the river in Hot Springs?

I think he's talking about the restaurant at NOC. They've got a pretty nice sit-down establishment with a great cheeseburger and a pretty good menu too.

It's right on the river....

STICK
10-24-2010, 20:55
Gotcha. Last weekend I was in Hot Springs and ate at a little restaurant "on the river" and it was pretty good. Good pizza and alligator bites... Also, we ate at the Smoky Mountain Diner twice. Good food and good service. The breakfast skillet is a large portion too. Be great stop while hiking through. And these are right on the trail cause the trail goes down the side walk through the town. Sweet.

Bornsouthern34
10-24-2010, 23:12
The loop at Standing Indian would make a very easy trip consisting of 3 moderate or 4 very short days. You would have plenty of time for sightseeing. The altitude is relatively level for that part of the trail also. Because of the loop and parking at the State Park, I am taking my boys 8/11 there in the summer.

Lightfoot70
10-25-2010, 03:18
I have for years gone to a location called the graveyards just off of the blue ridge parkway. You get amazing mountain top views and it feels like you are in Canada because of the high elevation. After your hiking you can drive just a little north on the parkway to Pisgah Inn for a fantastic dinner next to a window overlooking the mountains.