PDA

View Full Version : New To Board ? On Thru Hike

fitz
12-09-2004, 16:38
I Am New To This Board And I Am Thinking About A Thru Hike. No Dates As Of Yet But Looking At The Possibility Of Going From
Harpers Ferry To Ga. Then From Maine To Harpers Ferry. I Live In Ohio And It Will Be Easier For Me To Get On/off The Trail At Harpers. Looking For Info On Time Frame To Start. Starting At Harpers Vs Ga Vs Maine On Difficulty Of Trail. I Am Also A Large Person Looking For Gear In The 2-3x Sizes. I Am 5'11" And About 270 Any Suggestions On Gear For The Larger Person Would Be Appreciated.

Thanks

Fitz

Moose2001
12-09-2004, 17:24
Fitz, no dates set yet but do you have an idea of what month you want to start in?

fitz
12-09-2004, 18:04
looking at probably mid april.

fitz
12-13-2004, 09:55
Did I post this in the wrong area? Did I not post it correctly? Did I not ask my questions in plain English ? Since I am new to this board please let me know so i can correct my errors if i made any!

Looking for ideas and opinons on starting a thru hike from Harper"s going south then going from Maine to Harper's. no specific dates or times but probably would start in April. not sure what year yet! would also like info on gear for the larger hiker 2-3x range. like where to buy and if their are any other larger hikers with suggestions.

thank you

fitz

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 10:00
Well some of your gear questions might not be looked at by people that ain't thru-hikers but they might be able to point you in the right directions - you might try asking those in the Gear section. I don't know why there isn't more feedbackl about the flip-flop. I ain't a thru-hiker yet, so I won't pretend to answer with authority, but your plan sounds very reasonable. Although I would say the cost of going from Spring back to Harpers Ferry and then the cost of going to Katahdin and back to Ohio ain't that much different from doing it the other way. Why not just start at Springer and take a break at Harpers Ferry?

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 10:03
P.S.

If you could make it to one of the upcomming rucks, you could talk to people about thiose sorts of things in person. Looks like there will be a variety of experts and some old gear on sale. Maybe you could find some old clothing from some hikers that have slimmed down last season.

MOWGLI
12-13-2004, 10:22
Looking for ideas and opinons on starting a thru hike from Harper"s going south then going from Maine to Harper's. no specific dates or times but probably would start in April. not sure what year yet! would also like info on gear for the larger hiker 2-3x range. like where to buy and if their are any other larger hikers with suggestions.

thank you

fitz

I can't comment on the gear issue, cause gear doesn't make the hike or the hiker. I would suggest you use the search utility here on this site, and look over many of the different gear forums. The answer to virtually any question you might have is probably already posted here.

You could also go to www.trailjournals.com and look at Big Reds trail journal. He is a "larger hiker" and was a novice when he started out. He completed the trail.

I do know someone who hiked the way you are suggesting (HF -> Springer , Katahdin -> HF) and they really enjoyed themselves. You'll miss most of the crowd that way, and get to hang with many southbounders on the second half of your trip. Prepare yourself for black flies & skeeters in Maine.

Groucho
12-13-2004, 10:32
Did I post this in the wrong area? Did I not post it correctly? Did I not ask my questions in plain English ? Since I am new to this board please let me know so i can correct my errors if i made any!

thank you

fitz

I can be of little helpand am not a thru, but I'll give it a try. I think everyone is waiting for the lastest episode of as-the-worm-turns. (Where is that tongue-in-cheek icon).

I think HF to Springer is fine for the first leg. If something goes wrong initially, such as a sprain or blisters & c., you'll be closer to home for a second try. Virginia is magnificent in the spring, my favorite season for hiking there. If you spend the usual 3 months or so on that section, the blackfly season might be over in the N.

Can't be of much help with the clothes. You might do a check at Campmor & c. and check it out.

max patch
12-13-2004, 11:18
Looking for ideas and opinons on starting a thru hike from Harper"s going south then going from Maine to Harper's. no specific dates or times but probably would start in April. not sure what year yet

Since you asked for opinions I'll go ahead and say that there is something special about starting at one terminus and ending at the other.

A mid April start date is perfect for starting in GA and hiking with the seasons as you move north.

There is a section on the ATC website that discusses alternative hikes. One alternative is HF to GA starting in GA in April and then flipping to ME and hiking south.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/itin.html

fitz
12-13-2004, 12:00
thank you all for responding. i have pulled big reds journal. the rucks sound like a good place for info. i am going to try to do trail days this year.
i did look for alternative hikes. i have been trying to get a list of gear makers by going thru journals looking at the gear section.

thanks again

fitz