PDA

View Full Version : early april section hike

jigsaw
10-23-2010, 08:38
hi all im looking for some opinions on a section to do in early april.ive got a gap between erwin to pearisburg that ive broken into 4 hikes.
erwin-kincora
kincora-damascus
damascus-atkins
atkins-pearisburg
i'll be hiking with my wife and 12 year old daughter,im thinking either nobo erwin-kincora or sobo atkins-damascus.will be on the trail april15th and want to make sure my daughter has a good time what do you think.

Stir Fry
10-23-2010, 14:42
I think its early for that section for a 12yo. She will be cold, and may not have a good time.

bigcranky
10-23-2010, 16:00
My 12-year old hiked that area in April, so depending on her experience, it could be fine. Plan on some cold weather, though.

I'd go from Atkins to Damascus -- GREAT hike. Wild ponies.

Moose2001
10-23-2010, 16:44
I'd say Kincora to Damscus. It'll be lower than some of the other sections and should be a bit warmer. Nice easy hike as well.

excuses
10-24-2010, 20:26
I'll second the Atkins to Damascus. I did that hike in 09 and saw lots of ponies.

fredmugs
10-25-2010, 07:07
I'm guessing that is your daughters spring break week. You really cannot go wrong with any of those sections so I would wait until you get some idea of the weather in each area and cherry pick the best one.

I have actually did my sections in almost the same manner. When I went SOBO Damascus to Kincora I saw 6 bears in one day. When in doubt do the section that covers Grayson Highlands. My daughters loved seeing the ponies.