PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for dumb people?

levidoug
10-23-2010, 17:40
I just saw this article. I disagree with it but makes you wonder how he came to such a conclusion.

http://www.adventures-wa.com/2010/10/does-hiking-make-you-dumb.html

levidoug

Trailbender
10-23-2010, 18:42
I disagree, hiking should require outdoor skills. I know too many people who don't know how to make a shelter or start a fire in adverse conditions without a lighter or matches. No matter what, you are in the woods, and no one is coming to help you immediately if something goes wrong.

4shot
10-23-2010, 19:37
Things I saw on the trail....people trying to "thru-hike" with no shelter in/on their pack (attempting to stay only in the "real" shelters) and people without ANY first aid kits. If you really want to see some people out of their element, go to the Whites during hiking season and watch the tourists who are attempting to go from hut to hut. I disliked the hut system because it encouraged people to be up there who had no business being there. By that I don't mean that they didn't have the same right to be there as I did but rather it brought people into that environment who had absolutely no idea of what they had gotten themselves into.

Wise Old Owl
10-23-2010, 19:45
Trailbender - did you really read the article? - the writer was insincere (http://eedictionary.com/insincere)

Railroad King
10-23-2010, 21:23
There are stupid people everywhere. Wonder why he is choosing to pick on hiking?

IronGutsTommy
10-23-2010, 21:53
i agree RR king, theres stupid people in all walks and facets of life. I think stupid people who challenge themselves allow themselves to get smarter or wiser. Rather see a dumb person hiking, fishing, jogging, etc than see one watching jerry springer

erichkopp
10-23-2010, 22:06
That article seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek. I got a good laugh at that "stupid people" trailhead sign.

Trailbender
10-23-2010, 23:58
Yeah, I can't edit a post, strangely. Anyways, I realized it was a joke after reading it.