PDA

View Full Version : Base Layer - Insulation - Outer Shell; input?

Sassafras Lass
10-24-2010, 18:13
All of my hiking up until this summer has been in ridiculous attire - jeans, cotton socks, stuff that doesn't breath - you name it I've likely worn it.

DH and I need to get started on acquiring our clothes for our '11 AT thru-hike - need some starting points as far as brands, models, and what works for you (and even what didn't).

Base Layer:

Insulation:

Outer Shell:

Thanks everyone!

restless
10-24-2010, 18:40
Ahhh yes, another year for thru hiking, another round of the same old questions....
Anyway, in response to your question, you might try using the search tool on this page as this topic seems to come up every year. there have been several threads regarding gear and clothing over the years and you might start there to see what has worked in the past for others. Than,if something is still available, it may be worth checking out. Ultimately, things may only get more confusing for you, because when it comes to gear, there seem to be, at least as of now 28,773 different answers. Anyway, good luck hunting and enjoy your hike.

Sassafras Lass
10-24-2010, 18:53
Thanks. Guess I was just hoping for quick answers of materials and brands and what to steer clear of - wasn't looking to start yet another super in-depth "What to wear?" newbie dialogue . . . it seems that often when I try to search for Do's and Don't's regarding what works well for the trail (as a generalized, much-agreed-upon ideal) that I don't get any real info, just snippets here and there in the form of an off-hand remark or addition.

Mags
10-24-2010, 19:09
http://www.pmags.com/joomla1516/index.php/ramblings/20-backpacking-and-hiking-documents/19-backpacking-a-beginners-primer

The above link may help if you are new to backpacking...

As an aside, the new version of my website is (knock on wood) getting launched this week..so the above link will change. :)

Lyle
10-24-2010, 19:17
Base Layer: any number of fabrics work. Cotton should be avoided. Good to go with Polypropylene, Wool, Silk, or some synthetic blends. Want something that wicks moisture and does not rob you of heat when it gets damp. Fast drying is nice too.

Insulation:

Fleece - cheap, warm, may be windproof, warm when damp. However also bulky and heavy.

Wool - traditional, warm, water resistant, warm when damp. However bulky, heavy, and takes forever to dry.

Synthetic (puffy) - warm, works when damp, drys quickly, compressible, light, relatively inexpensive. Not quite as compressible or light as down for equal warmth.

Down - very warm for weight, light, compressible, durable, feels luxurious. However, looses effectiveness as dampness increases, expensive for high quality. Not a good choice for insulation while you are active, excellent insulation for camp.

Shell layers:

Lots of options:

Frogg Toggs (DryDucks) - Cheap, very effective waterproof/breathable, kinda bulky, light, not as durable as some other options.

GoreTex, Event, other waterproof/breathable - some think they're effective, EXPENSIVE, durable, heavy

Coated Nylon - very effective, non-breathable, heavy, durable, inexpensive

Silicone impregnated nylon - very effective, non-breathable, light, durable, moderately priced

For the most part, I shied away from naming brands, plenty out there. You will learn the popular ones as you hunt for items. If not sure, ask about specific brands. Can probably find them in a search.

Hope this helps get you started.

restless
10-24-2010, 19:18
Thanks. Guess I was just hoping for quick answers of materials and brands and what to steer clear of - wasn't looking to start yet another super in-depth "What to wear?" newbie dialogue . . . it seems that often when I try to search for Do's and Don't's regarding what works well for the trail (as a generalized, much-agreed-upon ideal) that I don't get any real info, just snippets here and there in the form of an off-hand remark or addition.

The "what to steer clear of is easy"-cotton, but I gather you have already gotten beyond that. So far as materials, you're going to find terms like polester, polypro, Capilene, wool, wool blend, synthetic yada,yada,yadA. Different strokes for different folks. You will probably have to experiment a little, or just go pick something out and go for it. Some brands that I have stood behind for years have changed and I no longer recommend them as quickly. Another question to ask is how much do you want to spend. There is an active thread on here about Targets selection of polyester active wear. Price, I don't believe is any indicator of durability. But you can easily spend several hundred dollars on clothing alone.
As I said before, I wish you well on the hunt for the perfect system for you. But keep in mind that what works for me or someone else, is no guarantee that it will work for you. And that is all you will find here, is opinions.

bigcranky
10-24-2010, 20:09
I posted this a couple of years ago in response to questions about an early Northbound start (February, I think), so it's specific to cold-weather hiking. But the general idea is the same. If you are starting before the first of April you should count on some cold weather.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=487795&postcount=16

Sassafras Lass
10-25-2010, 11:41
I posted this a couple of years ago in response to questions about an early Northbound start (February, I think), so it's specific to cold-weather hiking. But the general idea is the same. If you are starting before the first of April you should count on some cold weather.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=487795&postcount=16

Thank you so much, that is great information, just what I was looking for. Yes, we're starting the 2nd week of March as of now - if we need some extra $ we'll just work another 2 weeks or so. I am not afraid of bears, hillbillies, rattlesnakes, spiders, or blisters - but I sure am afraid of being cold and wet and frozen! :p

Sassafras Lass
10-25-2010, 12:17
http://www.pmags.com/joomla1516/index.php/ramblings/20-backpacking-and-hiking-documents/19-backpacking-a-beginners-primer

The above link may help if you are new to backpacking...

As an aside, the new version of my website is (knock on wood) getting launched this week..so the above link will change. :)

Nice website, lots of great stuff there, thank you very much!

bigcranky
10-25-2010, 13:05
but I sure am afraid of being cold and wet and frozen!

You're from Michigan, for cryin' out loud. I thought that "cold and wet and frozen" described everyday life there.... :)

StormBird
10-25-2010, 15:49
This is what I wore for cold weather on my thru-hike this year. Hope it helps.

Base layer -
-Icebreaker T-shirt
-thin synthetic thermals

Middle layer -
-Patagonia Capilene 3 long sleeved shirt
-running shorts over thermal pants

Cold layer -
-REI prima-loft lightweight jacket
-fleece gloves
-knit hat
-Smartwool socks

Rain -
-Marmot Crystalline rain jacket

*I didn't use rainpants or gaiters, but I know alot of hikers that do. I always kept one shirt, my thermals and my jacket in a waterproof bag on rainy days and didn't pull them out until I was in my tent or in a shelter. It's nearly impossible to keep dry when it's raining all day so the key is to keep moving to generate body heat while wet. And then to get into dry clothes and your sleeping bag when you stop moving for the day.

While actually moving when it it was cold out, i wore just a short sleeved shirt and running shorts. I'd add my patagonia long sleeved shirt when stopped for breaks. I'd rarely use my jacket, gloves, thermals and hat except in the evenings and mornings or if I was going over a particularly cold summit (i.e. Mt Washington or Katahdin)

*avoid cotton since it is ineffective at keeping you warm when wet and as a result your risk for hyperthermia goes up. Wool is good at keeping you warm and warding off funky odors, but synthetic clothing works well too.

Hope this helps and good luck!

DBRIGGS9
10-25-2010, 17:04
Base layer: any non-cotton t-shirt(s) for the majority of your trip will be more than sufficient. Though the first two months I'd pick up some long sleeve Patagonia Capilene 2 or 3 or something similar (check out Golite as well) for when its cold.

Insulation: a down jacket, I have a Montbell down jacket and love it.

For rain protection I think the Dry Ducks jackets are the best. Super lightweight, breathable, packable and one of the most affordable options out there. Yes, not as durable, but if you get a hole you can fix it with duct tape or replace it for a mere $15-20. And for rain pants I highly recommend the Golite Reed pants.

garlic08
10-25-2010, 18:59
A lot of beginners way over-pack on clothing. I saw some good advice on this site, I think from Mountain Squid--you should be able to wear every bit of clothing in your pack at the same time. Everything should layer and provide complementary functions. You don't need spare trousers and shirts. You can do laundry dressed in your rain gear or wrapped in your shelter.

I started my NOBO AT hike in April with a thin long-sleeve poly jersey (Hot Chillys), a lightweight long sleeve nylon hiking shirt, similar weight trousers, a Marmot Driclime windshirt, a Marmot down vest, and homemade silnylon rain jacket and pants. One extra pair of socks and briefs and a bandanna. That's it. In May, I sent home the down vest and rain pants, and kept the rest for the duration.

Luddite
10-25-2010, 19:30
For rain protection I think the Dry Ducks jackets are the best. Super lightweight, breathable, packable and one of the most affordable options out there. Yes, not as durable, but if you get a hole you can fix it with duct tape or replace it for a mere $15-20. And for rain pants I highly recommend the Golite Reed pants.

Which one did you use? Theres like 3 different ones. I can't decide what to buy.

leaftye
10-25-2010, 20:04
A lot of beginners way over-pack on clothing. I saw some good advice on this site, I think from Mountain Squid--you should be able to wear every bit of clothing in your pack at the same time. Everything should layer and provide complementary functions. You don't need spare trousers and shirts. You can do laundry dressed in your rain gear or wrapped in your shelter.

I'd consider spare clothing for a couple reasons.

I like a spare set of boxer briefs and socks to wear while doing laundry on the trail, especially since I intend to be hiking or sleeping while they dry. In town is a whole different matter.

I have brought a spare shirt to wear while hitching. Water was far away, so I wasn't going to do laundry. I may do this again in the future, but I'd like to find an extremely light and compact shirt for this.

I once considered bringing two pairs of pants for a hike with big elevation changes. One heavy and good for butt glissades, and a lighter pair for warmer low elevations. I ended up wearing only the heavy pants and they were way too warm. I may consider this plan again if I go when it's much colder at altitude, like deep into the teens or colder.

DBRIGGS9
10-25-2010, 21:07
Which one did you use? Theres like 3 different ones. I can't decide what to buy.

I get mine at my local Dick's Sporting Goods, only one option there.

Or you can buy them here:
http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2588917&CAWELAID=102919665

khaki, of course

bigcranky
10-26-2010, 08:10
You don't need spare trousers and shirts. You can do laundry dressed in your rain gear or wrapped in your shelter.

I think this is an aspirational goal for experienced long distance hikers. Not sure it's great advice for beginners.

Extra clothing - dry, warm clothing to put on at the end of a cold, wet day - is important, especially for beginning long distance hikers in Georgia in March or April. At the very least, carry a mid-weight base layer, something like a Capilene 3 top and bottom, and warm socks. Keep this stuff in with your sleeping bag, so it stays absolutely dry. In the morning, take off this dry, warm layer and stash it with your bag, and put on your cold, wet clothes from the day before. (You get used to it.)

I feel the same way about rain pants, btw.

garlic08
10-26-2010, 10:09
I think this is an aspirational goal for experienced long distance hikers. Not sure it's great advice for beginners.

Extra clothing - dry, warm clothing to put on at the end of a cold, wet day - is important, especially for beginning long distance hikers in Georgia in March or April. At the very least, carry a mid-weight base layer, something like a Capilene 3 top and bottom, and warm socks. Keep this stuff in with your sleeping bag, so it stays absolutely dry. In the morning, take off this dry, warm layer and stash it with your bag, and put on your cold, wet clothes from the day before. (You get used to it.)

An excellent point, especially about keeping your insulation dry. That's hard to do when you're first starting out and tend to put everything on when you get a little cold. The only way the one set of clothes works is if you have the experience to put on wet clothes in the morning (that is hard to do), and to stay warm via activity and eating and drinking properly, rather than insulation.

StormBird
10-26-2010, 10:50
^VERY important points made here. Heed this advise. ;)

Sassafras Lass
10-26-2010, 11:49
You're from Michigan, for cryin' out loud. I thought that "cold and wet and frozen" described everyday life there.... :)

:p True enough! Although we normally have frost and snow for Halloween, and right now we have 72F weather and a tornado warning this morning :eek: - Mother Nature is feeling very capricious this autumn . . . I'm hoping she doesn't throw a temper tantrum come December . . .

Sassafras Lass
10-26-2010, 14:42
Hope this helps get you started.

Yes, thank you! Concise and informative :)

Sassafras Lass
10-26-2010, 15:40
Question about the outer layer:

I realize that you get pretty warm while hiking; however my butt and thighs always freeze solid. So I'm likely going to hike in thick baselayer pants in March and perhaps April, but I'm not sure what to do upstairs.

I like the look of the synthetic vests and jackets like the Patagonia Micro Puff and Nano Puff (nixing down because I don't want to chance getting it damp), but would I necessarily need a cover over that, or just play it by ear? Are the jackets and vest of this variety windproof, or do I need a proper shell jacket, something more akin to a waterproof jacket?

Sassafras Lass
10-26-2010, 15:42
. . . something more akin to a waterproof jacket?

Wanted to add that I hadn't planned on buying a raingear top as DH and I are getting Packas; trying to figure out if this is necessary . . .

bigcranky
10-26-2010, 18:41
You really want to avoid hiking in your insulation layer. Two reasons -- (1) if it's that cold, then when you stop, you have nothing warmer to put on, and (2) it will get wet from sweat, and wet insulation is not good, even synthetic insulation. (Yes, those garments are wind resistant from the nylon outer shell.)

I find a light wind shirt is indispensable in cold weather. Worn over a light base layer, it provides a LOT of warmth while active, more than I would expect from a 3-ounce piece of nylon. Take a look at the Patagonia Houdini (on sale if you can find it), or any of several Marmot or Golite jackets. It needs to be breathable above all else. If you are handy with a sewing machine, make one out of Momentum 90 fabric with a kit from www.thru-hiker.com.

I can't imagine hiking in thick base layer pants -- I would find that far too hot. But if you plan to do so, then make sure you have something dry to put on in camp (see advice above.) I like to hike in nylon shorts and -- if it's below 35-F or so -- long john bottoms. Looks silly, works really well. In snow or sloppy trail I add tall goretex gaiters. Some hikers like thin nylon zip-off pants, like the REI Sahara pants. I just hate hiking in pants.

If you have a Packa, that takes the place of a rain shell. I would highly recommend some sort of waterproof or water resistant pants (rain pants) to wear in very cold sloppy weather over you base layer.

Sassafras Lass
10-27-2010, 10:01
Thank you BigCranky - given the mounds of useful and kind advice you given me since I've joined, I'm inclined to say you don't remotely live up to your name :p

bigcranky
10-27-2010, 12:02
Yeah well, I came by it honestly. Thanks.