PDA

View Full Version : Is there any boot that will last a whole thru hike?

JohKnip
10-25-2010, 01:21
Is there any boot brand (or specific boot) out there that will last thru an entire thru hike? Or any boot that would last the whole way if treated at home some how? I know just about everyone replaces their boots at some point along the trail just wondering if its possible to bypass that (without going bare foot...also this question isn't about price its just a "just curious" question).

Spokes
10-25-2010, 01:27
I'm sure you'll get some hikers here telling you it's possible and even naming brands. It's an anomaly of course. There's a big trade off between comfort and durability.

Forever North
10-25-2010, 02:53
I am sure there are boots that will last on a thru-hike but it sure won't be any trail runners. I almost always go for something with GTX and a full lenght shank. There are a lot of companies out there with a heavy boot. Asolo, North Face, Garmont are just a few. I couldn't afford a better boot on my thru-hike and my boots died by Harpers Ferry, WV. As it was stated in another thread; Research, Research, Research.

It's really up to you how many pounds you want to put on your feet. I like a heaver boot then a lighter one but a lot of hikers are going for the Go-lites. But if you want a heaver boot they are costly. Starting cost is like 275.00 to 300.00 depending on the boot and company.

Hope this helps some

Torch09
10-25-2010, 05:13
I got 1600 AT miles out of a pair of merrell moab ventilators that I had been using as casual shoes for about 4 months. I'm sure I could have pulled another hundred miles or so out of them, but I was forced off the trail due to time restraints. When I got home I had to toss those bad boys because no matter where I put them in my house, I could still smell them.
I've got a brand new pair that are going with me on the trail next spring. Hopefully these will survive.

peakbagger
10-25-2010, 06:01
Limmer Boots will last the entire hike and then some. Whether or not you are willing to lug the extra weight on your feet is an entirely diffferent question.

Thats the trade off most people make, light boots/trail runners dont last as long but are a lot lighter ont he feet.

Old Hillwalker
10-25-2010, 06:58
Limmer Boots will last the entire hike and then some. Whether or not you are willing to lug the extra weight on your feet is an entirely diffferent question.

Thats the trade off most people make, light boots/trail runners dont last as long but are a lot lighter ont he feet.

Aside from their weight, a pair of Limmer Custom Standards now sell for around $650.00 with about a year's wait. And as the boys at Limmer have said, "prepare to be laughed at on the trail".

restless
10-25-2010, 07:32
Limmers have a reputation as to their ability to outlast a thru hike. Their durability is renowned as well as their weight. I am a proud owner of Limmers and after having gone the lightweight route for a few years, I can say that a well fitted pair is as comfortable as any shoe out there. I wear mine all the time. Aside from Limmers, there as some other well made boots that come to mind-the Scarpa SL M3 is one. The trade off in any well made boot worth it's weight will be weight and price.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2010, 07:46
i had a pair of fabianos that made it all the way. had them resoled at a cobbler

the goat
10-25-2010, 08:08
i got 2000 miles out of my montrail morraine AT's. although montrial has since been bought by columbia, and their shoes are not nearly as good.

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2010, 09:00
There's a lot of history in Limmer boots. The Limmer family immigrated from Germany where he learned the trade and his family continues the business.

They are heavy, if that's a big deal to you, but they will last.

http://www.ohcroo.com/image/peter_limmer.jpg

Peter Limmer 79, of Intervale, NH died June 15, 2000 at the Memorial Hospital after a long illness. A devoted father and husband, he was born in Vachendorf, Bavaria-Germany. The son of Peter Limmer Sr. and Maria (Buecherl) Limmer. He was predeceased by his brother Francis Limmer in 1997.Peter served with distinction, at Roosevelt Field in Amarillo TX and Maxwell Field in Cortland AL, and attained the rank of Staff Sergeant and crew chief of 6 B-29 s in the Strategetic Air Command. After his tour he joined his father in the custom footwear business in Jamaica Plains, MA. As the family came from the mountains in Germany they decided to relocate to the Mt. Washington Valley in 1950.They purchased the Harmony Acres property and continued the business.
Peter Jr. was active in the community and served on several boards; the Bartlett School Board, the Bartlett Planning Board, Board of Directors at the Gibson Center, a Deacon at the Congregational Church and with the Board of the Reverence for Life Ctr. He was also involved with the Boy Scouts, Civil Air Patrol.
He is survived by his wife of 47 years Marianne, daughter Anita Collins, son Peter and wife Jeanne Limmer and son Erik Limmer, and grandchildren, Heather and Brian Collins and Trevor and Lucas Limmer, and many friends.

Jim Hamilton
Francis X. Limmer of Kearsage, NH died February 22, 1997 at the Maine Medical Center following a long illness. He was born in Vachendorff, Germany, the son of Peter and Maria Limmer and moved to Mount Washington Valley in 1951. He served in the famous 10th Mountain Division in Italy as a lieutenant and joined his father's boot making business Peter Limmer and Sons in 1946. He was an avid skier, fisherman and outdoorsman. He leaves his wife Maria, his son Karl, a daughter Elsie, two grandchildren, two great grandchildren and his brother Peter Jr.

http://www.ohcroo.com/obituary.cfm

http://www.limmerboot.com/

garlic08
10-25-2010, 09:36
My wife thru hiked in '02 with a single pair of Vasque Sundowners. That may be an anomaly, because I had a pair of the same boots that year and they started falling apart after less than 1000 miles. They were obviously different specs, maybe different factories on different continents. Different trails, too.

jersey joe
10-25-2010, 09:50
I almost made it the whole way(150 miles from Katahdin) in a pair of Asolo AFX 535s. I think that if I took care of them better(didn't let the leather dry out and) they would have made it the entire way.

Grampie
10-25-2010, 09:51
I did the whole trail with a pair of Montrail AT Hikers. This was in 2001 and they have now been brought up by Columbia and no longer made.:sun

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2010, 09:58
My wife thru hiked in '02 with a single pair of Vasque Sundowners. That may be an anomaly, because I had a pair of the same boots that year and they started falling apart after less than 1000 miles. They were obviously different specs, maybe different factories on different continents. Different trails, too.
Aren't all boots made in China:D

:sun

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2010, 10:33
I went all the way thru twice in Merrell Wilderness boots, a thick soled full-grain leather heavyduty boot. The soles were pretty beat by Maine; the rest of the
boot was fine.

I think these are great shoes, but they are heavy, hot, and take awhile to break in. Very few thru-hikers wear boots like this anymore for any number of reasons.

Moose2001
10-25-2010, 10:35
Also....keep in mind that almost everyone's feet grow during the hike. 1/2 a size to a full size of growth is very common. Even more than that isn't unheard of. Boots that fit at the start of the hike might be killing you by Harpers Ferry.

dana2k
11-01-2010, 23:45
My LLBean Crestas lasted the whole hike this year but the tread is pretty bare now. i didnt take any special measures to take care of them because they have a lifetime warranty anyways. they were all leather though and seemed to weigh about 40 lbs when wet. i was more than happy with them despite the weight because whenever it was wet out, i was usually the only one still with dry socks

leaftye
11-01-2010, 23:47
Also....keep in mind that almost everyone's feet grow during the hike. 1/2 a size to a full size of growth is very common. Even more than that isn't unheard of.

I've grown about 2 sizes in the last year. I'm about to jump up another half size. Now I have shelves of hiking boots, motorcycle boots and formal/work shoes that are painful to wear.

flemdawg1
11-02-2010, 11:01
:rolleyes:All boots will last a thru-hike, providing that you don't actually hike while wearing them.

Razor
11-03-2010, 01:11
NO,no,no,no(10 charaters)

restless
11-03-2010, 14:42
NO,no,no,no(10 charaters)

yes,yes,yes,yes(12 characters)-read the previous posts--its been done:eek:

Luddite
11-03-2010, 15:44
The hard part is finding a boot that you're going to want to wear the whole trip.

leaftye
11-03-2010, 17:23
The hard part is finding a boot that you're going to want to wear the whole trip.

I'd lose a few miles a day if I wore boots. Not because I'd hike slower, but because I'd have to take more breaks to cool and dry my feet.