PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lake, Virginia Hike suggestions?

JEBjr
10-25-2010, 08:38
Heading up that way for some kind of Octoberfest event this weekend. Would love to get in a night of camping and a little hiking. Anyone with experience hiking at Mountain Lake? Can you hike up to the lodge?

Thanks,

James

tawa
10-25-2010, 08:45
Just last week I hiked from the Mt. Lake area to Perisburg--two nights and two day hike. Then got shuttled to Wood's Hole Hostel which is fantastic.
This trail offers some beautiful views, meadow area, some water/springs and running streams and a couple of nice shelters.
Hope you have a fantastic trip.
Tawa

Rain Man
10-25-2010, 11:17
And a hike between Wood's Hole and Pearisburg offers some amazing vistas and is only about 10.5 miles (11 if you include the nice road walk to/from Wood's Hole). We did it last weekend as part of a 43-mile section hike.

Rain:sunMan

Hikerhead
10-25-2010, 12:21
Heading up that way for some kind of Octoberfest event this weekend. Would love to get in a night of camping and a little hiking. Anyone with experience hiking at Mountain Lake? Can you hike up to the lodge?

Thanks,

James

You're at the lodge when you pull off the road. They do have some very nice trails there. One that I've done goes around the lake or what's left of it since it has developed a leak. If you drive down the road across the ridge (it turns into a dirt rd) you can do a loop hike of War Spur. This used to have the biggest hemlocks around but we know what happened to them. It's still one of a few areas of virgin forest in Va. There's actually a trail that you get onto first from the small parking lot that will take you to the AT

Bati
10-25-2010, 18:45
You should start with the trails on Mountain lake or conservancy property, as they are private and it can be rather difficult to get permission to hike them when you're not staying there. I believe it's currently easy, and only costs a bit, but access has varied over the years, and the AT is always open.
Though short, bear cliffs and, of course, a loop around the lake are good choices.

ratfaceraines
10-25-2010, 21:04
the lodge is 6-7 miles from the a.t...a short hike that offers a great vista would be bald knob(ask the desk for directions)..on the trail there's wind rock(to the north)..i shuttle hiker's in the area, if i can be of assistance--call 540-921-7433(RIDE) don