PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2011 Poll - Flu Shots?

Turtle Feet
10-25-2010, 09:01
This is only the third time in my entire adult life, but I decided to get a flu shot this season. Since we'll all be in relatively close contact with each other, and since I'll be starting mid-March, I thought it might be an "ounce of prevention" this year.

What's everyone else think?

Spokes
10-25-2010, 09:37
Flu shots are a good but probably the biggest "ounce of prevention" for thru-hikers is to remember not to eat out of someone else's food bag!

max patch
10-25-2010, 10:08
CDC recommends that everyone over 6 months old get a flu shot this year. I believe this is the first year they have made such a blanket recommendation.

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2010, 10:18
I caught something in 2007 when hiking from Springer to Damascus. It started around Erwin and stayed with me all the way to Damascus and beyond. Probably would have gotten over it quicker if I were not hiking and rested more, but I wasn’t going to throw in the towel. It ruined my one and only Trail Days visit.:mad:

I’m not sure if it was the flu or not (never got a flu shot), but felt like it could have been bronchitis. Whatever it was it made me very miserable.
http://www.webmd.com/lung/tc/acute-bronchitis-topic-overview

Turtle Feet
10-25-2010, 17:45
I caught something in 2007 when hiking from Springer to Damascus. It started around Erwin and stayed with me all the way to Damascus and beyond. Probably would have gotten over it quicker if I were not hiking and rested more, but I wasn’t going to throw in the towel. It ruined my one and only Trail Days visit.:mad:

I’m not sure if it was the flu or not (never got a flu shot), but felt like it could have been bronchitis. Whatever it was it made me very miserable.
http://www.webmd.com/lung/tc/acute-bronchitis-topic-overview

Yeah, alot of people think of the flu as a stomach virus, and Lord knows we have enough of that to deal with, but the flu is respiratory and can be transmitted quite easily:

"You can get the flu if someone around you who has the flu coughs or sneezes. You can get the flu simply by touching a surface like a telephone or door knob that has been contaminated by a touch from someone who has the flu. The viruses can pass through the air and can enter your body through your nose or mouth. If you've touched a contaminated surface, they can pass from your hand to your nose or mouth.
You are at the greatest risk of getting infected in highly populated areas, such as in crowded living conditions and in schools. "

Hopefully we'll all move through the spring months unscathed! :sun

Luddite
10-25-2010, 18:35
I'm still waiting for the cold vaccine. I never get the flu, but I do get the common cold every season.

NCcummins
10-25-2010, 23:41
Going Friday for a physical and Flu shot.

Panzer1
10-26-2010, 01:44
Flu shot, $26 at Acme, no waiting. This double shot will also protect you from the H1N1 variation of the flu.

Panzer

fiddlehead
10-26-2010, 06:08
I thought they were for old people.
Do healthy young people really get flu shots?

Doc Mike
10-26-2010, 09:48
Flu shots are a good idea for everyone. The Flu most likely won't kill you(unless some underlying health condition) but can make for a completely rotten week. I like to call the Flu shot a 25$ insurance policy and like most insurance you won't need it, but if you do, You will be glad you had the shot.

Doc Mike

Turtle Feet
10-26-2010, 10:20
Flu shots are a good idea for everyone. The Flu most likely won't kill you(unless some underlying health condition) but can make for a completely rotten week. I like to call the Flu shot a 25$ insurance policy and like most insurance you won't need it, but if you do, You will be glad you had the shot.

Doc Mike

For sure! As rotten as you feel with the flu in the comfort of your own bed, imagine laying in a tent (no one will want you in the shelters!) with a fever, chills, headache, body aches and no husband/wife, mom/dad, significant other to bring you chicken soup :(.... makes me shutter to think!!!

mudhead
10-26-2010, 11:11

Yes. Especially if they are around older people, or other compromised health individuals.

Rocket Jones
10-26-2010, 11:54
Another point is that up to a quarter of all people who have the flu show few or no symptoms, but they're still contagious. Get a flu shot and you greatly reduce the risk of being a "Typhoid Mary".

Luddite
10-26-2010, 12:27

I thought the CDC recommends that young children and old people get the shot. I don't like the fact that there is formaldehyde in one of the shots approved by the FDA. I know its so the virus won't grow or something but I think I would rather have the flu than mainline forlmaldehyde.

The flu does really suck though. The last time I got it I was fifteen and lost about 7 pounds from not eating.

NCcummins
10-26-2010, 12:59
I'm 21, and I get the flu shot. My moms a doc and she recommends it to everyone as well. It's easy, and I think worth it in the long run; especially before a thru hike.

Toolshed
10-26-2010, 16:46
I have been recieving the influenza vaccine for at least 18 years now. Granted I worked/working for 2 different manufacturers of the vaccine in the past 15 years, so there is an incentive, but having had influenza in my early 20's, I can honestly say the vaccine is much more preferred.

Many still lump influenza with colds, but they are very different and influenza with high fevers, dehydration, muscle pain and exhaustion can easily & quickly become deadly - especially in the weaker immune systems where pneumonia can set in. (Note the Pnemonia vaccine is another nice to have).

(note: technical gobblygook....)
This years Influenza vaccine contains Antigens for the 2 most predominant influenza virus's (typical) plus H1N1, so you are receiving 3 antigens this year.
....$25 insurance policy...I like that!!! :)

BobTheBuilder
10-26-2010, 17:28
Well, somebody ought to disagree here.

Never had the flu shot, haven't had the flu in 25 years. I think it is all a conspiracy to create fear and a dependency on big brother for protection. I don't like the whole idea. No flu shot for me.

Speakeasy TN
10-26-2010, 17:53

Never had the flu shot, haven't had the flu in 25 years. I think it is all a conspiracy to create fear and a dependency on big brother for protection. I don't like the whole idea. No flu shot for me.

I got mine this year because I know that I'll be stressing my body and decided to stack the odds a bit.

Bob I never get sick, but guess what? I got to play with H1N1 last year. It was the most miserable I've ever been. NO WAY would somebody be able to hike thru it. Best of luck avoiding these bugs, but I'll go with "better safe than sorry."

Toolshed
10-26-2010, 18:05

OMG .... you're on to us. Looks like we'll have to send out the silent helicopters to visit you...... (againn...):banana

M1 Thumb
10-26-2010, 18:15

....just like vaccines for polio, measles, mumps, tetanus, rubella...... just part of the big conspiracy. Right........

(for those that need help, the above should be read with a sarcastic tone)

Panzer1
10-26-2010, 19:39
the flu is spread from person to person by people who didn't get their flu shot.

Panzer

Luddite
10-26-2010, 19:52
....just like vaccines for polio, measles, mumps, tetanus, rubella...... just part of the big conspiracy. Right........

(for those that need help, the above should be read with a sarcastic tone)

Wrong. Just the Flu shot.

Turtle Feet
10-28-2010, 21:17
I have been recieving the influenza vaccine for at least 18 years now. Granted I worked/working for 2 different manufacturers of the vaccine in the past 15 years, so there is an incentive, but having had influenza in my early 20's, I can honestly say the vaccine is much more preferred.

Many still lump influenza with colds, but they are very different and influenza with high fevers, dehydration, muscle pain and exhaustion can easily & quickly become deadly - especially in the weaker immune systems where pneumonia can set in. (Note the Pnemonia vaccine is another nice to have).

(note: technical gobblygook....)
This years Influenza vaccine contains Antigens for the 2 most predominant influenza virus's (typical) plus H1N1, so you are receiving 3 antigens this year.
....$25 insurance policy...I like that!!! :)

Interesting - I didn't realize there was a pneumonia vaccine! I'll have to look into that.

I can remember having what was (at the time) called the "Hong Kong Flu", which I think was basically the 'bird flu' (?maybe like H1N1?), back in the mid-late '60's. I remember hallucinating, scaring my mother to tears over it, but my entire room would spin, and then I'd be up at the ceiling looking down on everything. If I stared at my dresser drawer I could make them slide open. It was somewhat entertaining seeing that I was bedridden, but obviously life-threatening at the time. I know my temps were in the 104 range.

I've never been so sick since that time, but like I said, I can't begin to imagine having to deal with something like that anywhere than home sweet home.

TF

RETCW4
10-28-2010, 21:32
Interesting - I didn't realize there was a pneumonia vaccine! I'll have to look into that.

I can remember having what was (at the time) called the "Hong Kong Flu", which I think was basically the 'bird flu' (?maybe like H1N1?), back in the mid-late '60's. I remember hallucinating, scaring my mother to tears over it, but my entire room would spin, and then I'd be up at the ceiling looking down on everything. If I stared at my dresser drawer I could make them slide open. It was somewhat entertaining seeing that I was bedridden, but obviously life-threatening at the time. I know my temps were in the 104 range.

I've never been so sick since that time, but like I said, I can't begin to imagine having to deal with something like that anywhere than home sweet home.

TF

Yes iad pneumonia last year in both lungs. After I got over it, my doctor gave me the pneumonia shot. He said they usually give to everyone at 60 but sincs I had it I got one.

Tumbleweed

AK5
10-28-2010, 21:51
I agree with bob the builder....no flu shot for me.