PDA

View Full Version : Section hike from Monson to Katahdin

Mwhitese
10-25-2010, 13:24
I am just starting to plan a section hike and wanted to get suggestions for the following:

best time of year - I was thinking that the last week in August - 1st week in September would be last enough in the year to avoid the black flies/mosquitos, but not so late that we had to worry too much about cold weather.

We will be traveling from Baltimore, Md. - so I was thinking that the best way would be to fly into Bangor and then try to get a shuttle to Monson. I read some other posts that suggest getting a shuttle from Shaw's to the trail head in Katahdin.

What I don't understand is where you actually pick up the trail at Katahdin. I have read that there is about a 10 mile hike before you actually get to the AT. Can someone please provide some details there?

Our preference would be to hike south to north - starting at Monson and ending at Katahdin - but again looking for details about shuttles and how to get off Katahdin when we finish.

Thanks in advance for your insights... suggestions.

Grinder
10-25-2010, 13:43
I did that hike at that time this year.

Getting from monson to Millinocket is an expensive shuttle. I'd guess something like $130 +/-

Your confusion about the trail and Katahdin probably stems from the fact that it is 20+ miles from the nearest town, Millinocket, to Katahdin Campground.

The trail runs right through the campground and continues 5.5 miles to the summit.

There is a hostel that provides free shuttles to their place in Millinocket. I think you can buy a seat if you don't stay there.

Many through hikers get to millinocket and then take a bus to Bangor to get flights home.

Shaw's, in Monson, is also remote, It's about 90 or 100 miles to Bangor. They shuttle anywhere you need to go, but it will cost you.

My personal arrangement was to leave a small motorcycle (that I carry) in Millinocket and my Van at Shaw's.

It was quite hard to hitch to Millinocket in the morning. People leaving the park had their camping gear filling the car. After walking about 12 miles , two guys from Quebec sandwiched me into the rear seat. (Merci Beaucoup, guys)

Hope this helps

Saint Alfonzo
10-25-2010, 14:23
Hello,Mwhitese, Welcome... Keep me in mind for a shuttle, from the airport in Bangor, to Monson. GOOD HIKING...MIKE...

kayak karl
10-25-2010, 14:38
i did it 8/9-8/19/09 weather was hot (90) but no bugs. wished i did it end of aug or beginning of sept

SouthMark
10-25-2010, 14:57
I did this section he second week of this last August. I got a shuttle through Rebecca of Lakeshore House to The AT Lodge in Millinocket for $100. Stayed over night at the AT Lodge and used their shuttle to Katahdin Stream Campground next morning after nice breakfast at the AT Cafe. The 10 mile hike you maybe thinking about is the 10 miles out of the park but that is on the AT. The AT starts/ends on the summit of Mount Katahdin. You have to hike 5.4 miles one way to reach it on the AT. This is a great section. The southern half is much harder than the northern half.

Mwhitese
10-25-2010, 16:34
How much do you charge for two people?

Mwhitese
10-25-2010, 16:37
So if I am understanding you right - you hike from the campground to the summit and then back down to the same campgroup - essentially backtracking?

Also - what was the weather like - temperature wise. And were the black flies still an issue through the 100 mile woods?

DavidNH
10-25-2010, 18:08
Hey there MWHITESE,

Early September would be the best time to do this trip. I'd wait till just after Labor Day to avoid crowds. By end of September, early October it gets cold and snow and ice are possible.

I am not quite clear where you are coming from. If you need to come via Plane then you land IN Bangor. get Bus or shuttle to Millinocket (well Bus only goes to Medway). Allow for 10 days on this section.

In Millinocket, best plan I think would be to stay at the hostel, the Appalachian Trail Lodge which is around 25 bucks a night (or was a couple years ago). Owners are great folks and will shuttle you into park or out of park.

Katahdin is the northern terminus of the trail and that would be the reason for the up and back if you do section SB.

DavidNH

peakbagger
10-25-2010, 20:30
For a section hiker, you need to make reservations in advance at Katahdin Stream Campground which is on the AT in the park. From there you can take the AT (AKA the Hunt Trail) up to the summit. You can then either go back down the way you came via the Hunt Trail or take Abol trail down. If you take the Abol trail down you end up a couple of miles down the road from Katahdin stream campground. It is a very skinny curvy and dusty road so plan to hitch or taking your cahnces of getting run over and a guarantee of mouth full of dust. (thats why a lot of folks so the up and back via Hunt Trail). Do note that going up the Hunt Trail is quite different than going down, going up you are probably spending too much time following the route and figuring your way up and over the rocks, going down you will tend to notice the incredible view.

Making camping reservations in the park during late summer especally weekends requires some prior planning. Read the BSP website and call them if you have questions. If you dont have camping reservations and plan to drive a car in the park you should have parking reservations at Katahdin stream. If you want to carry your backpack to the summit, consider making reservations at Roaring Brook on the other side of the mountain and taking some alternate routes down. If you dont mind heights the Knifes Edge is hard to beat on a calm sunny day.

Now if you dont have camping reservations, you have two choices. Camp at Abol bridge just outside the park and do a super long day, or lie and act like a throughhiker to stay at the Birches, the AT campsite just down the road from Katahdin stream. I am not sure of the current rules but you used to have to sign up prior to entering the park at Abol Bridge and if it was full you had to camp outside the park.

There are no locations in the park for long term parking, therefore if you have a car you need to leave it in Millinocket which means a shuttle. There is cell service on the top of Katahdin but none at the base and no public or private telephones in the park.

Many section hikers par a car at Abol Bridge, and hike to the car, then take a quick ride into Millinocket for supplies, then drive into the park that evening to camp or stay in Millinocket that night, then drive into the park the next day and dayhike the mountain. This will save you one shuttle.
Many

Overall BSP is probably the most regulated section of the entire AT, when you get there you will know why and will find why its worth it.

earlyriser26
10-26-2010, 06:36
Another option that I just used is katahdin air service. It is located just north of Millinocket. They will fly you on a float plane and can land on several of the lakes on the AT in the wilderness (including one on the AT next to Monson). They will drop your car off at Abol bridge. The rates are pretty reasonable (check the website). It would be easier if you just hiked from Monson to Abol bridge. Adding Katahdin creates most of your logistical problems. Also, consider going in late sept/ early oct. We went the first week of oct and weather was great (low in 40's / high about 60). This is a tough section. The south involves lots of climbing, river fords, and the north is roots and rocks. But this is one of the most scenic parts of the trail. Enjoy.

SouthMark
10-26-2010, 09:41
How much do you charge for two people?

The shuttle that we took from Monson was $100 for three people.

If you stay at the AT Lodge in Millinocket, you can take their shuttle in the morning to the Abol Campground and hike the Abol Trail to the summit and then hike the Hunt Trail (AT) down to Katahdin Stream Campground. The Abol Trail is shorter (about 3.6 miles) but steeper. The 10 miles from Katahdin Stream CG to Abol Bridge is flat and easy. The store at Abol Bridge has decent resupply options. The Abol Pines state campground across the road from the Abol Bridge private campground ($35 a night) is nice. It is $8.00 a night and has two or three clean lean-tos plus nice tent sites. It has a privy but no showers. It is located right on the river so I just went swimming for my shower.

Mwhitese
12-28-2010, 09:39
Thanks for all this info/insight. I guess I should have been a bit more specific though. We will have to fly in from Baltimore, Md. I am guessing the best (maybe only ) option is to fly into Banghor and then get a bus to Monson? Or maybe a shuttle? My hope was to hike this section from Monson to Katahdin - north bound.

Once we get to Katahdin we will have to get a shuttle from AT Lodge in Millinocket back to the airport. How do we get from the trail to AT Lodge in Millinocket? Other than hitchhiking....

Thanks again for all your info / help....

TEXMAN
01-27-2011, 01:43
Fly to Boston and take bus to bangor is probably cheaper ..
I doubt there is bus service to Monson ..it is a pretty small town and not on a main route to anywhere

I have used "Buddy" the last two years and he is great and not expensive, not cheap but very fair ..pay by the trip ..the more people the less per person...he will pick you up and drop you off anywhere, even in the 100 mile wilderness where there isn't suppossed to be any roads..he has delivered pizza to the shelters in the 100 mile wilderness
His info is in the ATC list of shuttle drivers ...(visit appalachiantrail.org)

Richard (Buddy) Ward
Monson, ME
(207) 997-3792 [home]
(207) 343-2564 [cell]

[email protected]

A.T. in all of Maine and New Hampshire:banana
Specializing in “slack packing” from
Caratunk to Katahdin and also food drops
covering the same area.
Experienced in emergency extractions

Old Man River

markc7
02-02-2011, 17:20
I'm planning on a similar trip this summer (early August), except that I'm hoping to do Katahdin first, then the 100M Wilderness Southbound. I am hoping to leave my car in Monson, take a shuttle to a hostel in Millinocket, then get a ride to Katahdin Stream Campground.

The only problem is that in that case, I'd be doing Katahdin with a full (10 days) pack. Which sounds like a kinda dumb idea. Is there some logistical solution that I haven't thought of? Would appreciate any suggestions.

SouthMark
02-02-2011, 19:37
Leave your pack at the ranger station at Katahdin Stream campground. The have loaner daypacks for summiting. You don't need 10 days of food when you leave Baxter. The store at Abol Bridge has decent supplies and you can stop off near half way at White House landing, great food and some resupply including fuel. Do a search for White House Landing hear for threads on it. Some like it some don't. I enjoyed it and did not find that it was expensive. Knorr Sides about 20 cents more than in grocery stores.

That section is a great hike. Enjoy it. I used a shuttle from Lakeshore House in Monson to the AT Lodge in Millinocket. The AT Lodge runs a shuttle to and from Baxter.

markc7
02-02-2011, 22:35
Awesome, that is exactly the kind of advice i was looking for. Thanks!

Turk6177
06-05-2013, 10:21
In mid June, I am doing the 100 mile wilderness southbound, but not climbing Katahdin (I want to save that for when I attempt a thru hike someday). Anyway, former thru hiker, Phil Peppin, is a registered Maine Guide that shuttles people from Bangor and will stash a mid-point resupply (packed by you) around the halfway point of the 100 mile wilderness. In Monson, he has some cabins that are a two minute walk from the AT for when you finish. You may want to check out his website as well. http://100milewilderness.info. Also, if anyone is flying in to Boston with a group, or even Portland, it is actually cheaper to rent a car one way with Budget than it is to take the bus. I was surprised to learn this, but for two, it was 10 or 20 dollars cheaper.