PDA

View Full Version : Trail name confusion

strollingalong
10-25-2010, 13:37
Hi guys...

I'm a little confused about trail names.... I always assumed one got named on the trail though from reading blogs and other things it seems like some people (or many?) name themselves... is this cheating or no issue?

How many of you named yourselves?

I walked the Camino de Santiago but no one really had trail names...

I live in Mexico and everyone who doesn't know me calls me Guero (pronounced wero) means "whitey" in a nice way. :D

strollingalong
10-25-2010, 13:38
by the way, I'd rather be named on the trail

Mountain Wildman
10-25-2010, 13:49
Some pick their own maybe to avoid being given an embarrasing name, You know, like maybe: Cow Patty Patty or Body Odor Bill.
I chose Mountain Wildman because a good friend calls me "Wildman" for some strange reason and I am surrounded by mountains where I live.
I will use my name "Joseph" when I start my Thru-Hike in March and take whatever name I am bestowed with, If it is embarrasing, At least it will be a good conversation starter!!

Joker4ink
10-25-2010, 13:51
I was given Punchy from a good friend of mine. It happened as a result of one of those very late nights where you are sooo tired but cant stop laughing for no reason...in other words, being punchy. That's how I came to be.

thelowend
10-25-2010, 13:53
I haven't started a thru yet or even spent much time on the trail during heavy hiking season so I can't say about the majority.. I will say that I have signed a few trail registers under a trail name I thought would be cool to have but at the same time I also think it's a little lame to name oneself but I guess if you don't hike with many people, and you want a trail alias, you gotta do it yourself! But I look forward to my thru and getting a trail name from someone else.. btw, the name I have signed registers under so far on the GA section is Slowburn.. In summation, I don't think it really matters too much, but it's more fun to have someone name you.

Pony
10-25-2010, 13:58
I met a SOBO ECT hiker named Fudge Packer. I often wonder if he named himself.

Toolshed
10-25-2010, 14:01
I got mine in 2004. I was headed up a mountain and was passed by Glacier, PineCone and one other thruhiker. They stopped at a vista and I got there a few minutes after they did. they were somewhat impressed that a big guy could make it up so quickly and one blurted out "that's not a gut, it's his toolshed." that's how my name was born....;)

Mountain Wildman
10-25-2010, 14:10
I met a SOBO ECT hiker named Fudge Packer. I often wonder if he named himself.

I feel a little sick to my stomach for some reason.:eek::(

kayak karl
10-25-2010, 14:20
cops in my town named me Kayak Karl. it stuck and i brought it to the trail with me.
(Gene Epse told me it's a dumb trail name:))

Old Hiker
10-25-2010, 14:44
I feel a little sick to my stomach for some reason.:eek::(

Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company employee?

Mountain Wildman
10-25-2010, 15:05
Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company employee?

I've never heard of a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company employee.
:confused:

Graywolf
10-25-2010, 15:20
I go by Graywolf, actually it is Erich Graywolf, as that is the name I use when I do performances.. Erich is my middle name, my last name is Gray and I have a fondness for wolves..

I play the Native American Flute and last year, just before I left for a section hike, I told a friend I was taking one of my flutes with me. he suddenly blurted out, "Windwalker" I liked it so I use it on the hike..

Graywolf

Lone Wolf
10-25-2010, 15:25
Hi guys...

I'm a little confused about trail names.... I always assumed one got named on the trail though from reading blogs and other things it seems like some people (or many?) name themselves... is this cheating or no issue?

How many of you named yourselves?

I walked the Camino de Santiago but no one really had trail names...

I live in Mexico and everyone who doesn't know me calls me Guero (pronounced wero) means "whitey" in a nice way. :D

i named myself. it's a non-issue. blue-blazing is cheating

Jonnycat
10-25-2010, 16:23
My Mom and Dad gave me my trail name forty-some odd years ago, and I'm still using it!

Torch09
10-25-2010, 17:01
I got named Torch on my third day on the trail after an act of arson... i'm not proud of what i did, but i believe the mice have forgiven me at this point.

Hikerhead
10-25-2010, 18:40
I'd start off with Guero or Whitey. If someone puts another name on you that you like better, go with that. It's all good.

4eyedbuzzard
10-25-2010, 19:01
I gave myself the name "4eyedbuzzard / foureyedbuzzard" a number of years ago - it just fit with the glasses and big nose. Back in the '70's I didn't have a trail name - it wasn't as common back then. I gave my daughter her trail name though - on the second hike we ever did together she slipped off several log bridges in some bogs and stepped in half way up to her knees several times. Now she's "Soggyfeet".

strollingalong
10-25-2010, 20:12
I think Güero /wero/ has a nice ring to it. No doubt someone'll find something else for me. It's just my automatic name here. Glad it's not gringo, though sometimes that's shouted from passing vans. Very original.

fehchet
10-25-2010, 20:14
i named myself. it's a non-issue. blue-blazing is cheating

That's really funny?

fehchet
10-25-2010, 20:16
I ment, "That's really funny." (without the question mark)

Lone Wolf
10-25-2010, 20:16
That's really funny?

oh, absolutely :)

Lone Wolf
10-25-2010, 20:17
oh, absolutely :)

oh. funny. yes

DaveSail
10-25-2010, 21:40
:welcome
Pehaps a " Given " name would be more " AT " and current . The Barefoot Sisters each came with a Trail Name they had when hiking in South America . But " Jackrabbit " and " Isis " became " normal " after
just a bit .

In my case , I was going to wait 'till someone gave me a name .
" Foams - At - The - Mouth " as I talk a lot ? Don't like ! Or " Macaroni "
as I eat a lot ? Don't like ! But , it may be too late !

When I was in the Air Force , I and a few others started the 1st Sky -
Diving Club in the AF . The two West Point clubs jumped with us . ( We
shared planes and Drop Zones . ) Last jump of the daty wass into a field , bordered by a road on which was a bar . On my first jump into the field , I went with them . They all ordered various brands of beer . I don't like
beer . When the guy came to me , I asked for Chocolate Chip Mint Ice -
Cream . They all were ROTFL . Sent me uot to the corner store .
My " Prop - Wash " party , ( First Jump ) name-card said : " Ice - Cream ".
My name after that . Earlier , on a family vacation to Katahdin , we stopped at a Howard Johnson's. I wanted a larger dish than " standard ",
and Dad said how much ? I said I could eat a Half - Gallon . Dad said :
" Fine , but if you don't eat it all , you pay for it ! " I took the chalenge ; I
was 12 or 13 years old . They left to buy souvenirs . I easily ate the whole thing . When they returned , I was eating a doble - dip cone ! SO ,
" Ice Cream " does fit . But , I WANTED a " Given " Trail Name . Too late!
At the Gathering , first Trail - Angel - Mary , then others , started calling me ; " Ice - Cream " !! Oh , well , it is not an embarassing name ! DVW:welcome

Trailbender
10-25-2010, 22:31
Got mine last year on an AT section hike by two college girls.

mweinstone
10-25-2010, 23:50
i added ski to matthew when helen the bartender at the port clinton hotel said i needed a trailname to get served. i was 16 so i thaught quick and just added ski. got drunk and stayed tis way ever since. trudis.

wicca32
10-26-2010, 10:23
A very good friend started calling me Wicca years ago, I choose to use it here, but will accept a trailname when I'm on the trail. Hopefully my daughter will still want to hike with me in 2012, we've called her Gabby for 18 yrs. lol All her friends call her that too, but she wants to be given a trailname, when we hit the trail.

Llama Legs
10-26-2010, 16:29
My buddy's name never fails to get a laugh, "Donner Party". Definitely not one you pick for yourself :eek:

strollingalong
10-26-2010, 18:04
a higher percentage survived that than complete the AT! :)

I'm sure I'd kill for a raw buttock steak instead of another handfull of nuts after a couple of months

4eyedbuzzard
10-26-2010, 20:58
...I'm sure I'd kill for a raw buttock steak instead of another handfull of nuts after a couple of months

Did that really come out the way you intended it? :eek: :D

strollingalong
10-27-2010, 02:25
one cant reply with less than 10 characters. gee whizz i just wanted to say yup

moytoy
10-27-2010, 06:03
I chose Moytoy in honor of the Cherokee Indians. We destroyed their way of life the least we can do is remember some of their names.

Tinker
10-27-2010, 08:41
From Matthewski: "got drunk and stayed tis way ever since. trudis"

Stayed drunk? That explains nearly everything! :D

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-27-2010, 08:48
Cheater :)

Trailbender
10-27-2010, 12:47
I chose Moytoy in honor of the Cherokee Indians. We destroyed their way of life the least we can do is remember some of their names.

I didn't destroy anything, so I don't have any PC liberal guilt over any of that.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2010, 15:33
We destroyed their way of life the least we can do is remember some of their names.

who's we?......

thelowend
10-27-2010, 16:03
Lol, yeah I myself don't remember walking any crying Native Americans over to Oklahoma.. but maybe that was one of those waking moments of absolute disassociation I tend to experience..... I must say though, I am not proud of what our ancestors did to gain this land but hey, we're here now and there's not much else we can do but keep on a hikin' and trying to do what's right in each moment.

moytoy
10-27-2010, 16:23
I chose Moytoy in honor of the Cherokee who roamed these mountains long before our ancestors arrived. I hope that sounds better to those who seem to think I am accusing them of doing wrong. PC liberal guilt....that's laughable!!!

Tinker
10-27-2010, 22:59
who's we?......

Good question. All of MY relatives were still doing servile work in Europe when the descendents of some of the earlier settlers were doing all of that evil stuff which "white" folks are often broadly accused of.
We weren't here.:)

Pedaling Fool
10-28-2010, 06:32
You've never heard of guilt by association, huh:)

Speakeasy TN
10-28-2010, 06:48
Got mine last year on an AT section hike by two college girls.

OOH OOH finish this story! Tell me your trail name is "big Daddy" or "Tripod" This could go south in a hurry! Not that anyone here can spin a tale. Run with it..............:D

Old Hiker
10-28-2010, 07:02
OOH OOH finish this story! Tell me your trail name is "big Daddy" or "Tripod" This could go south in a hurry! Not that anyone here can spin a tale. Run with it..............:D

Oh, NOOOOOOOOO! Yet another reason south-bounders will tell us why going south is better!

NOBO 2012 and proud of it!

WILLIAM HAYES
10-29-2010, 20:29
Pony I met Fudge packer in the hundred mile wilderness in Maine- I kidded him about his name - I ask why the name-he carries fudge hence the name -i told him i personally would not admit to it when he got in the south - he was hiking from brunwick canada thru alabama to the tip of florida-he gave himself the name because as he put it you don't forget it