PDA

View Full Version : Late Fall/Early winter bag

Graywolf
10-25-2010, 15:44
Planning a hike in Late November/ early December.. What are your thoughts for 15-20* bag?? You think that will be enough?? I know the temps and weather can really change quick and unpredictable at that time of year..

Graywolf

Graywolf
10-25-2010, 15:45
Planning a hike in Late November/ early December.. What are your thoughts for 15-20* bag?? You think that will be enough?? I know the temps and weather can really change quick and unpredictable at that time of year..

Graywolf

This hike will be on the Georgia section of the AT..

Stir Fry
10-25-2010, 15:52
In a tent with good cold weather gear you should be fine if the weather goes bad. Worst you should incounter is teens.

Graywolf
10-25-2010, 16:12
In a tent with good cold weather gear you should be fine if the weather goes bad. Worst you should incounter is teens.

Thanks.. I checked some sites and averages cold low 30's, at night with average temps in the 50's.. But then that is average not the main.. We will have to see. Im going prepared anyway..

burntoutphilosopher
11-04-2010, 19:25
my thoughts:

a 15 degree marmot bag is a LOT warmer than a 15 degree walmart / big 5 special.

i have slept in my north face 20 degree bag many times in the low 20's, and never felt any chill (in a tent, protected from wind)

that said ... yes i think a good 20 degree bag would be plenty for night time temps in the 30's, just don't be fooled by untested off brand bags

johnnybgood
11-04-2010, 20:05
my thoughts:

a 15 degree marmot bag is a LOT warmer than a 15 degree walmart / big 5 special.

I concur . Money spent on a quality bag ; like the Marmot ,will keep you from ever doubting whether the rating is bogus.