PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Spring Break 2011

B.B.
10-26-2010, 00:33
My friend and I are section hiking the AT. We have made it to Fontana so far this year. We were wanting to do the smokys for spring break 2011 and then a longer section this summer to end at Damascus. My friend is a teacher, so we are restricted to her time off at work. My question is..Will we hate trying to do the Smokys spring break ( 1st week of April)? I know this is a big time with thru hikers...and also wondered about high school and college kids getting out for spring break...also the temps...Any input?

mweinstone
10-26-2010, 00:43
okay,......your a mess. im gonna try. here goes.
the smokeys are great
the smokeys cannot be not great
the smokeys are fun when crowded
the smokeys ,if avoided due to crowdedness is cause for shame
the smokeys and shame dont work
the smokeys
the smokeys
the smokeys
the smokeys
the smokeys

fredmugs
10-26-2010, 07:34
I highly doubt you are going to get reservations for every shelter you want during that time.

I would hike somewhere else over spring break and do the Smokies as part of your longer hike. Then you can legitimately call yourselves GSMNP thru hikers and you won't need shelter reservations (but get what you can beforehand).

4eyedbuzzard
10-26-2010, 07:55
Add that the weather is very unpredictable at the higher elevations in the Smokeys that time of year for any long range planning purposes. You could experience anything from beautiful warm days with cool evenings to protracted days of rain and fog, snow, and even late season ice storms (the absolute worst - incredibly beautiful, but deadly as you are falling and sliding down the trail while big ice chunks and tree limbs are falling around you - it was memorable though).

benpatrick
10-27-2010, 08:41
Ahh the Smokies are the best. We went last Spring in March and we hiked in about 3-4ft. of snow almost the whole trip. April may be better, but I'm not certain.

StorminMormon
10-27-2010, 09:02
I highly doubt you are going to get reservations for every shelter you want during that time.

True, but you don't have to stay in the shelters, you can camp near the shelters. There's always a chance of a bad hike (whether it be teenagers, bears, or...teenagers), but even some of my worst hikes still hold some fond memories.

Early April is still early enough to get some crazy weather. There could be snow, there could be thunderstorms that border on catastrophic, or it could be nice. Just plan ahead.

restless
10-27-2010, 10:01
I have to agree w/ fredmugs, in that the Smokies will be crowded and it will be close to impossible to get reservations for every shelter you want. Also, weather can be unpredictable during that time of year and the last thing you want to have is to be stranded in a late spring snowstorm. I noticed that you are in KY. Might I suggest the Va Section from Fox Creek to Damascus? The weather could still be an issue, but I think you will find things less crowded, you won't have the permitting issue to worry about and the scenic value is top notch,on par with the Smokies. Plenty of options too for shuttles and emergency outs if weather does turn nasty. Just a thought.

Serial 07
10-27-2010, 12:08
go do the smokies, there's nothing like'em! be prepared to see plenty of thru hikers, but this can be inspiring and a good time too...

thelowend
10-27-2010, 16:42
Ugh, thru hikers... I try to avoid those loonies.. as for the teenagers... me and my friends should be there with as many boomboxes and fireworks as possible so you're welcome to join the party!

Ox97GaMe
10-27-2010, 16:53
There are several things to consider here.

a) Spring break (whether in Mar or April) will always be crowded
b) Thru hiker season (Mar-May) will always be crowded
c) weather the first of April is unpredictable. You can get anything from deep snow to mid 70s. Could be rainy the whole time, or not get a drop of rain. you should be prepared for any kind of weather (exept 100+temps).

For the record... winter of 2010 was not a typical year. Yes, there was over 8 ft of snow on the ground the first of April. That was the accumulation of 10 consecutive weeks where a storm of 6+ inches hit and the temps never got above freezing. It was an accumulation, not a single snowstorm.

Typically after mid Feb, the park gets a snowstorm of 4-6 inches, then 2 days later gets temps in the 50s to melt it all away. Occassionally, you see snow at higher elevations of 6-10 inches for a single storm.

Ive been hiking in the park for 15 years and this past winter was truly an anomily. usually when Im on work trips in March and April, I expect to get the cold drizzly rain that is good for hypothermia. Good raingear, a dry change of clothes, and a good attitude will get you through most of the weather issues you are likely to experience that time of year in the park.

fredmugs
11-01-2010, 08:24
True, but you don't have to stay in the shelters, you can camp near the shelters. There's always a chance of a bad hike (whether it be teenagers, bears, or...teenagers), but even some of my worst hikes still hold some fond memories.

Early April is still early enough to get some crazy weather. There could be snow, there could be thunderstorms that border on catastrophic, or it could be nice. Just plan ahead.

Your statement is technically false. You cannot sleep outside of the shelters if (1) you do not have a reservation OR (2) You have not declared yourself a thru hiker. You cannot just show up, see a full shelter, and sleep outside of it.

Chaco Taco
11-01-2010, 09:01
Go for it. It will be crowded but you will meet some great people along the way. Just call on that 30th day before you leave to get thise reservations in. Be prepared for having to adjust your schedule to meet the reservations. I went during peak time and did Mollies Ridge, Derricks Knob, Mt Collins, Pecks corner, Cosby knob. Makes for some long days but nothing im sure you guys cant handle. I also threw in the Boulevard Trail out of Icewater Springs for an added bonus and had few people in the shelter with me. Great up and back and a must see! Either way enjoy whatever you do. Just call on that 30th day before as early as you can get through to someone.

StorminMormon
11-01-2010, 10:40
Your statement is technically false. You cannot sleep outside of the shelters if (1) you do not have a reservation OR (2) You have not declared yourself a thru hiker. You cannot just show up, see a full shelter, and sleep outside of it.

Well, I wasn't trying to "quote scripture", I assumed that the hikers would register with the NPS. But if we're going for "technicalities", I will gladly defend myself.

In the beginning, the NPS beheld the Smokies and saw that they were good. And thus verily the NPS did speak (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-regs.htm)

1. You must possess a backcountry permit while camping in the backcountry.

2. Camping is permitted only at designated sites and shelters.

3. Use of reserved sites and shelters must be confirmed through the Backcountry Reservation Office.

4. You may stay up to three consecutive nights at a site. You may not stay two nights in a row at a shelter.

So, as thus I have spoken, I did speak the truth. You do not have to stay at the shelters, you can stay at a site. There are many sites along the trail.

sherrill
11-01-2010, 12:43
Throw your gear in some mud, don't shower for a week, declare yourself a thru hiker.

bigcranky
11-01-2010, 14:20
W
So, as thus I have spoken, I did speak the truth. You do not have to stay at the shelters, you can stay at a site. There are many sites along the trail.

I can think of only one campsite along the AT, at Birch Springs, the rest are shelters.

Technically, a Spring Break hiker will require reservations for each shelter for each night they are on the A.T. (Since a hiker out for a week is not a "thru-hiker" according to the NPS.)

To the OP: if it were me, I would do the Smokies as part of my longer summer hike. For example, during Spring Break I might start in Damascus hiking South and see how far I get. Then this summer I would start at that point and continue South to Fontana Dam. Avoids the crowds and the whole permit reservation thing. Plus, I just like hiking southbound.

B.B.
11-05-2010, 14:12
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think we have decided to skip our Spring Break trip. I know it sounds picky but we really want to try to do our sections in order. (Not sure what that says about our personalities....) We are leaning toward doing either 2 two week sections or 1 month long section next summer, ending in Damascus.

bigcranky
11-05-2010, 17:53
I know it sounds picky but we really want to try to do our sections in order. (Not sure what that says about our personalities....)

Yeah, I think there are medications for that :sun

Good luck with the hike next summer. Totally understand on the desire to keep hiking in order. I haven't done that -- not even close -- but I understand.

TheChop
11-06-2010, 06:05
Well, I wasn't trying to "quote scripture", I assumed that the hikers would register with the NPS. But if we're going for "technicalities", I will gladly defend myself.

Sites refer to campgrounds that are numbered and reserved as well and they can and do fill up to reservations with the exception of some out of the way ones that do not require reservations but none of them are near the AT.