PDA

View Full Version : New York help

walkin' wally
10-26-2010, 18:27
Can anyone knowledgeable of the New York section help me with a suggestion (s) for a place to meet my daughter who is coming from NYC to meet me along the trail? I guess we would need a place for accomodations and hopefully a section for a day hike as I pass by on my thru?
Also, maybe a shuttle or other parking advice for her car? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you.

4eyedbuzzard
10-27-2010, 01:57
If she's coming by car, she could meet you at Bear Mountain in Harriman St. Pk. The best way to get there from NYC is over the GW bridge and then take the Palisades Pky north to 9W south - follow the signs to Bear Mountain from there. There is also bus service from NYC to Bear Mountain via the Shortline bus I think.

She could also meet you at Lake Tiorati (sp?) which is near the AT.

Lots of road crossings and areas to meet though, and lots of hiking and possible loops in the area.

walkin' wally
10-27-2010, 09:24
If she's coming by car, she could meet you at Bear Mountain in Harriman St. Pk. The best way to get there from NYC is over the GW bridge and then take the Palisades Pky north to 9W south - follow the signs to Bear Mountain from there. There is also bus service from NYC to Bear Mountain via the Shortline bus I think.

She could also meet you at Lake Tiorati (sp?) which is near the AT.

Lots of road crossings and areas to meet though, and lots of hiking and possible loops in the area.

Thank you. I'll share this with her.

Moose2001
10-27-2010, 09:41
Wally.....there's also a bus that runs from Delaware Water Gap to NYC. Might be a possibility.

walkin' wally
10-27-2010, 09:51
Wally.....there's also a bus that runs from Delaware Water Gap to NYC. Might be a possibility.

Thank you Moose. I'll tell her about this too. Any more hikes planned in the future?

4eyedbuzzard
10-27-2010, 10:20
You should also take a quick look though the ALDHA companion's (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/wv-ny10.pdf) NY section to see if there is a better place you could meet. That with road maps for the driver should do the trick

Moose2001
10-27-2010, 10:58
Wally.....I was just thinking about my 2001 hike. I had to get on/off the trail in NY/NJ because of knee problems. I seem to recall there are commuter trains from NYC that stop near the Bear Mt Bridge and several other spots near (within taxi distance) of the AT. Can't recall the name of the commuter rail system (PATH???) but it might be a possibility.

4eyedbuzzard
10-27-2010, 11:48
Wally.....I was just thinking about my 2001 hike. I had to get on/off the trail in NY/NJ because of knee problems. I seem to recall there are commuter trains from NYC that stop near the Bear Mt Bridge and several other spots near (within taxi distance) of the AT. Can't recall the name of the commuter rail system (PATH???) but it might be a possibility.

Metro North. There are two possibilities. On the west side of the Hudson, take the Metro North Port Jervis line from Penn Station to Harriman (requires transfer at Secaucus, NJ to NJ Transit train). This is the best option by far as the trains run pretty frequently. http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/linkwest.html

On the east side there are very limited schedules on the Hudson line from Grand Central Terminal to Cold Springs (I think this is the station - been a while).

LIhikers
10-27-2010, 12:16
Here's a whole other suggestion.
Meet her at the Elk Pen Parking area in Harriman State Park.
It's an easy drive from NYC and the AT goes right past it.
This trailhead is off Arden Valley Road, which is accessed from route 17. There's a good sized parking lot there.
The AT is actually a road walk along Arden Valley Road so you won't miss it either.
When she comes to meet you have her bring the mapset for Harriman State Park. She can order it here. (http://www.nynjtc.org/product/harrimanbear-mountain-trails) There's a wealth of trails in that area, other than the AT. Check out the map and pick a hike that looks interesting. The map shows a number of old iron ore mines you could go look for.
As for places to stay, since she'll have a car, I'll suggest that there must be someplace in the town of Suffern, which is just south of the park.

walkin' wally
10-29-2010, 08:29
Thank you everyone.

Canute600
10-29-2010, 09:22
There is also the Appalachian Trail train stop in Dutchess County, near Pawling I believe. I think the train only runs on weekends (two stops there in the morning and two times to leave late in the day as I recall), but it will get her from the city right to the trail. I don't know about places to stay around there, so this might be better for meeting up for a day hike.

Old Grouse
10-29-2010, 11:10
Canute's correct that the AT stop in Pawling is only active on weekends, but just down the line (2 miles) is Pawling Station and just up the line (another 2 miles or so) is the Wingdale Station, both of which have full daily schedules. Those trains take you right to Grand Central without need of a transfer.

The Pawling area itself has only a couple of motels. On the other hand it's quite close to I-84 (just a few miles north on Rte 22).

walkin' wally
10-31-2010, 12:32
My Daughter has a car and will meet me along the trail I just need an idea (s) for a nice section of 5 miles or so, preferably A.T. , and hopefully a shuttle back to her car.

She would like to see some of the A.T.

Thanks for all the replies everyone:sun

Moose2001
10-31-2010, 16:41
Wally....there are a lot of nice sections in NY/NJ. Many that have roads 5 - 10 miles apart. The problem is finding a shuttle or a way back to a parked car. I don't know of any shuttlers in that area. I'm sure you can find a taxi service in one of the towns. I'd pick the area you want to do and then start checking for taxis. Drop me a PM if you need some help or suggestions.

Feral Bill
10-31-2010, 18:24
If your daughters comfortable hiking alone, she can meet you in Harriman, say at Tiorati Circcle, hike a few miles then return on a different trail.

LIhikers
11-01-2010, 22:36
While I've never used them myself, I've heard of other hikers who have had good success with Greenwood Lake Taxi for shuttle service. Their web site is http://www.greenwoodlaketaxi.com/ or phone them at 845-477-0314.

mick2360
11-05-2010, 22:28
Wally, I live on the NY/NJ border. My wife, Joyce, and myself would be happy to help you out in any way possible. Shoot me a PM. I can give you my cell#, some references and we'll do what we can to help you out. Enjoy the hike; this is a beautiful section. I can give you more specifics on sections is you wish.

All the best,
Mick

mweinstone
11-05-2010, 22:33
wally gater was the fastest allegater in the swamp. pawling is a place you could run into hikers witch is cool to show your offspring.also its the most at like place as far as towns in ny. pawling. for sure. not grand, but AT.

Tinker
11-05-2010, 22:47
wally gater was the fastest allegater in the swamp. pawling is a place you could run into hikers witch is cool to show your offspring.also its the most at like place as far as towns in ny. pawling. for sure. not grand, but AT.

http://www.televisiontunes.com/Wally_Gator.html

Look up Sasquatch 2014. He lives in Pawling and maintains a section of trail there.

Dirty Nails
11-08-2010, 16:42
Bear Mountain State Park is the closest you can get to NYC. By car it's quite easy, and just about 40 minutes from the GW Bridge. I have done several weekenders there.
The Bear Mountain Lodge is (I believe) still closed for renovation, but there is a second motel nearby and they also have the Stone Lodges. These are old buildings managed by the park, and you will pay NY rates. Expect $90-$100 per night I suppose. They are very close however. You can walk to many trails within the park. The A/T is perhaps 1 mile away. But expect a fair amount of day hikers until you get well into the woods.
There are several places to park inside the parks (Bear Mountain Park and Harriman St. Park are ajoining). One choice might be to park at Seven Lakes Dr., about 1/2 mile east of the Palisades Pkwy. then hike to the West Mountain Shelter. I like that because the shelter is on a summit and affords a view looking south, down the Hudson Valley. On clear days you can see the NYC skyline on the horizon 30 miles away. You will need to carry water from the last water source though. That's about 4-5 mi round trip (it could be a loop).
There may be motels in Peekskill, just across, on the east side of the Hudson R. About 15 minutes (drive) away from the parks main entrance. Check your guide book. You will probably save $$$ there on a room and have more dining choices.
This is all on the east, or Hudson R. side, the more developed part in Bear Mt. Park, but still west side of river. There is a zoo, ice skating rink, police sta. and small food stand.
The west area, Harriman Park, is also nice, and pretty close, but you'll have to relly on others for motel suggestions.
I agree, your daughter should get local maps. The 2 map set from the Ny/NJ trail confr. is about $10, on tyvek, and gives great detail. Far better than the ATC maps.
By the way, the AMC has a chapter right in Manhatan and welcome guests to their meetings, but I've never gone. If your daughter lives in the city, she could get lots of info from them.
http://www.amc-ny.org/openhouses/NYC_Office1
The phone # to Bear Mt. Pk. is 845-786-2701. They are usually willing to help with local info.
Shoot me a PM and I will offer what I can. I may even be convinced to come out for a hike. This time of year is perfect for colors. Enjoy!