PDA

View Full Version : Butane lighters banned from Aircraft

grrickar
12-10-2004, 13:52
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/12/09/planes.butane.lighters.ap/index.html

Yet another item to remove from your backpack if you plan to carry your backpack onto a plane. Some of those butane lighters aren't cheap! Brunton makes one that is like $40! I'd hate to get to the security checkpoint with one and find out I had to leave it with them.

Peaks
12-10-2004, 20:02
Nothing new. Just someone enforcing the old regulations that have been in place for a long time.

Pencil Pusher
12-10-2004, 20:04
Zer are vays to bring zur lighter past airport security, jah? Re: Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction.

Or avoid the pain and check it into bagged luggage;)

Rocks 'n Roots
12-10-2004, 20:06
If Richard Reed had a butane lighter instead of matches...

NICKTHEGREEK
12-15-2004, 09:26
What about the ever trusty old Zippo?

TakeABreak
12-15-2004, 12:58
A zippo, is still a tool to cause to fire or to ignite things, I would say it is definitely against the rules.

If your a smoker it would be a good to quit, your lungs will thank you, so will others who don't smoke and want to stay healthy.

If you use the lighter for hiking, wait until you get to your destination and buy a $1.00 bic, weights less and last longer without adding fuel.

SGT Rock
12-15-2004, 13:48
Exactly!:)

Jaybird
12-15-2004, 14:21
butane, propane, fire-sticks, etc.....if its a propellant or can be used in any "form or fashion" to cause a fire, blaze or explosive...consider it banned from an airplane!

.....for starting fires.....use waterproof matches!

Rocks 'n Roots
12-15-2004, 15:11
I use a mini-bic. That way I can bring two in case one flint goes...

MOWGLI
12-15-2004, 15:24
I use a mini-bic. That way I can bring two in case one flint goes...

Buy them in white - so you can easily see how much fuel remains.

Tim Rich
12-15-2004, 15:25
When we fly up for our section hikes, we always get fuel and lighters up there. We always carry two lighters - something that light shouldn't be a trip killer if it fails. When we have packed fire sticks or paste, I've checked them in my bag - I hadn't given them much thought.

TakeABreak
12-15-2004, 15:26
Personally I carry a bic lighter and a small pack of waterproof matches, they weight about an ounce. I put an extra pack in about 3rd mail drop. Which leave extra's in hiker boxes or, I wind up giving them away to hiker in need.

SGT Rock
12-15-2004, 15:33
Get one of those flint wheels. Always lights my alcohol and there is no flamable fuel in it. It also weighs about 0.1 ounces.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-23-2004, 08:05
A zippo, is still a tool to cause to fire or to ignite things, I would say it is definitely against the rules.

If your a smoker it would be a good to quit, your lungs will thank you, so will others who don't smoke and want to stay healthy.

If you use the lighter for hiking, wait until you get to your destination and buy a $1.00 bic, weights less and last longer without adding fuel.
No thanks, I've carried it since I bought it in Da Nang in 1968 (with the exception of 2 refurbs courtesy of Zippo). I'll keep it in my checked bags.
- ever consider the environmental impact of all those plastic bics?

Ridge
12-28-2004, 10:05
I'm still carry only waterproof matches, and a woodburning zip stove. I hope vaseline, which I use on cottonballs for starter, will not be banned. It's just going to get tougher and tougher for hikers who fly. Detection equipment will start weeding out fuel bottles that once had fuel in them, even the gas/other fuel stoves will be suspect. I guess when soot becomes a problem I'll start hitchhiking to trailheads. I even see the day when it might be good business to set up a hiking/outdoor store near airports because of these security measures.

TakeABreak
12-28-2004, 13:15
One bic lighter lasted me the whole trail, of course I switched to a canister fuel system after the first month, and only use the lighter to start a campfire. I still have the bic lighter in my day pack. One bic lighter every 6 years or better, will not do as much damage to the environment as what second hand cigarette smoke, cigarette butts (which take a 100 years to decompose) or all of the other damaged caused from tobacco to the world. If we grew crops like corn or beans where we grow tobacco we could feed a lot of people in the world that are starving.