PDA

View Full Version : In a few days I'm off to "walk into the wild".

rachaeljessica
10-27-2010, 09:28
Hello everyone!

I am so excited for my short but sweet AT hike. I do believe this is the best time of year to hike in the northern part. It will only be a few days, but I can't complain as I have been trying for months now to find a time and partner to go with. I'm almost positve I have everything and that I packed accordingly. However, I could always use a little extra advice for any of you that would like to give it.
I made a spear the other day. I'm using it for my walking stick and for protection against the elements out there. I doubt anyone will **** with me carrying a huge spear! lol
The weather Is the only thing i'm a little unsure of, only because it seems to fluctuate in so many directions up north. I'm packing as if it was winter just in case.
Well wish me luck everyone and I will post some pics when I return!
Peace,
Rachael :)

4eyedbuzzard
10-27-2010, 09:46
If you are venturing above 3000 ft in the Whites it is definitely already time for winter gear. Mild today, but turning colder starting Thurs night and through the weekend. It's going to be very windy up on the ridges.

sly dog
10-27-2010, 09:49
Good luck girl. Enjoy the trip and dont try ta do too much. Wish i was out there one more time this year.

Namaste
10-27-2010, 09:51
You have great enthusiasm. Have a wonderful hike!

Slo-go'en
10-27-2010, 10:16
You don't say where abouts "up north" your going. Most of the snow on the summits went away with the rain, then the warm temps the last few days. Guess its suppost to go back to late fall / early winter weather again soon.

The main thing will be mud and swollen streams. It has rained a lot recently and the trails are pretty mucky. Don't slip and stab yourself with that spear!

4eyedbuzzard
10-27-2010, 10:31
I wouldn't venture out for a multiday hike at higher elevations in the Whites this time of year without full winter gear and traction aids, even if just Yaktrax or something. Temps are forecast to return to below freezing starting Thursday night and it is going to be very windy (50 mph+) on the high summits. Snow, freezing rain/fog, refreeze, etc. always has to be planned for.

weary
10-27-2010, 10:44
A walking stick is probably a good idea, especially if it turns icy. But you probably won't need a spear. There aren't many bad people wandering around the northern hills, even in summer. I've never heard of one showing up once winter conditions arrive. Have a fun trip.

TheYoungOne
10-27-2010, 16:09
You might be better off with a pair of trekking poles and some Mace and or a camp knife. The only reason is if you do hit some ice/snow you are going to have better stability with two trekking poles instead of one homemade spear. You can get regular Mace/pepper spray or a camp knife in most sporting goods stores for cheap.

I'm glad you found someone to go with. Stay Safe and have fun.

p.s. You got a post a pic of you holding your spear all menacing. :D

Adayak
10-27-2010, 16:45
I like the idea of hiking with a stick that has a spear head... there's something authentic about it ... plus, you'll be ready if any wolves come your way. :-)

Country Roads
10-27-2010, 19:46
Have a great time! We await your pictures and trip report.

sly dog
10-27-2010, 21:34
I like the idea of hiking with a stick that has a spear head... there's something authentic about it ... plus, you'll be ready if any wolves come your way. :-)
Wolves on the east coast? I wish

skinewmexico
10-27-2010, 21:51

Strange thing to wish for. But most of the coyotes in the east show substantial amounts of wolf DNA. That's why they're getting more aggressive.

Tinker
10-27-2010, 23:11

I hope you're using the spear point-side down. I'd hate to think what could happen if you carried it the other way around and had a fall :eek:.

Rain can turn to ice this time of the year in the Whites (it did on a group of us when we were inexperienced in the early 1980s and dressed in cotton and without traction aids). It took us about four hours to cover a mile and a half to the shelter on the ice coated rocks. We had to make sure that every step we took was on a level surface - some doing in the White Mountains!

Driver8
10-28-2010, 06:27
What state(s) will you be hiking in, R.J.? I hope you have a fun, safe hike with lots of great views and fine experiences. :)

Marta
10-28-2010, 07:22
The most threatening creatures one is likely to run into is nasty dogs. A spear could be useful for straightening them out.

4eyedbuzzard
10-28-2010, 08:27
We have them here in northern NH and VT, and I'd assume ME as well. I've seen 2 over the last 10 years. Definitely wolves - not other canines. I was within 50 ft of one, he/she was in my back pasture. Some of the "gov. experts" say they aren't here, but the gray wolf was re-introduced into Canada 60 miles away from us many years ago. They don't seem to stop at Customs and Immigration to announce their migration. They are rare, but they are here, and as noted, there is inbreeding with coyotes and coydogs/dogotes.

sly dog
10-28-2010, 10:20
Cool, maybe the grizzlies will be next. Or even bigfoot.;)

Trailbender
10-30-2010, 13:39
You might be better off with a pair of trekking poles and some Mace and or a camp knife. The only reason is if you do hit some ice/snow you are going to have better stability with two trekking poles instead of one homemade spear. You can get regular Mace/pepper spray or a camp knife in most sporting goods stores for cheap.

I'm glad you found someone to go with. Stay Safe and have fun.

p.s. You got a post a pic of you holding your spear all menacing. :D

A knife or spear won't do much good unless you have been trained in the use of said weapons. Take some unarmed hand to hand courses, and some to learn how to use such weapons. An untrained person is pretty easy to defeat, even with a knife.

Pedaling Fool
10-30-2010, 15:05
This pic was posted in July of this year and it's already got over 2,500 views:-? I don't get it, but I hope she posts some more pics when she gets back.;)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/3/3/6/cimg2990.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=41802&original=1&c=member&imageuser=28336)

:D

Firefighter503
10-31-2010, 00:06
Looking forward to the AAR. My brothers and I are heading out for a number of short hikes this month. Can't wait!

TIDE-HSV
10-31-2010, 00:32
Strange thing to wish for. But most of the coyotes in the east show substantial amounts of wolf DNA. That's why they're getting more aggressive.

Not sure that there is a direct relationship there. Wolves in the wild are really quite timid, in comparison to urbanized coyotes. In fact, I think the reason we see coyotes in urban settings (my back yard), and not wolves is that the coyotes survive very well solo, and in annual breeding pairs, is because they don't have to have the social structure (pack) which wolves are hard-wired to create. Our city tolerates the coyotes ( no choice), but I'm quite sure that a wolf pack would be wiped out quickly...