PDA

View Full Version : The Doyle

ridgewalker777
12-10-2004, 14:23
I came to Duncannon earlier in the week not sure whether to stay at the Doyle Motel, the local campground or The Stardust Motel. I saw that the campground looked totally pathetic, having been washed out by the September floods. I decided to skip the Stardust, since the Doyle was so "legendary". Part of my A/T hiking has to do with a quest for the peace of mindwhich comes through being in nature. Hostels tend to be a reasonable compromise between civilization's comforts and natural living. Not so The Doyle. The loud, grating music blaring in the downstairs area, the unfortunates congregating in the bar and pool hall, have less to do with a quest for better living than most any other slice of American culture. I woke up to a siren--a raging fire at 4:30 A.M. across the street from The Doyle, and watch as firemen fought the blaze and knocked the windows of the building out. Odds-on liklihood it was arson as it was a building up for rent or sale. I'm sorry, but if you want a quiet restfull sleep, this place is rock bottom.

Blue Jay
12-10-2004, 14:38
It's a bar, what the blank did you expect. I'm sure the good people of Duncannon are terribly sorry their fireman disturbed your beauty sleep.

Rain Man
12-10-2004, 15:02
I came to Duncannon earlier in the week ...
.. I'm sorry, but if you want a quiet restfull sleep, this place is rock bottom.

When I stayed there in September, I had a good night's sleep, and the folks in the bar were friendly and, frankly, somewhat quiet. I think a game was on the TV. Also, I think it was a Sunday evening.

The Doyle is right in the middle of town, so I guess I expected town noises. Having lived in Greenwich Village in New York City for a year, I thought Duncannon was quite quiet!
:sun
Rain Man

A-Train
12-10-2004, 15:43
I got there on sunday, the only day the bar is closed. It was a restful and quiet stay for sure.

Alas the bar opened up monday morning for grease burgers and Yuengling.

tanichols
12-10-2004, 15:51
Let me reinforce the fact that Duncannon is a pretty quiet town.

The fire episode was a shot in the pan. First writeup of a "big" fire i've seen in the local papers in Duncannon for a while.

Otherwise Duncannon is in Perry County. Most locals who don't live in Perry county refer to it as hickville and there are all kinds of jokes about the folks that live up there.

But stereotypes and jokes don't describe the people up there accurately. Perry County is great lots of bars with great food and its a nice area. Nice people and a great county to go and get out in the country. I make many trips deeper into Perry County every new moon weekend as it offers some of the darkest skies around the Harrisburg Area for Astronomical Observing.

The Doyle is a great place and for a bar it is to be expected to be noisey as the rooms are right above it all. If planning a stay at the Doyle keep in mind the bar is open till 2 AM, It may be dead on some nights, but otherwise you should expect noise till the bars closed. Sleeping at the doyle is accepting the fact you're sleeping above a bar. I wouldn't plan on getting much sleep until after 2 AM save the unplanned for fire episode. Plus the noise I'm sure couldn't be much worse than having a shelter full of people who snore as loud as it gets.

Otherwise the Doyles got great food at nice prices, nice prices on drinks, thru-hiker friendly patrons and employees, and it can't be beat. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay more. It's only a 10 or so minute drive up the road from where I live and each chance I get I try and make it up during thru hiker season and enjoy the company of thru hikers and perform some trail magic. Otherwise during the off season I still make it up every now and then to enjoy the food and read some trail registers for fun.

But again don't expect to get much sleep until things wrap down at the bar. If you were sitting in any bar while it was open, would you expect to get any sleep? Earplugs I'm sure wouldn't hurt if you're looking for semi-quiet conditions.

WalkinHome
12-10-2004, 15:57
We residents of Billville worship at the Doyle. It is very complimentary to our philosophy of having a good time. Please, a bit of reverence here.

c.coyle
12-10-2004, 15:58
I came to Duncannon earlier in the week not sure whether to stay at the Doyle Motel ... Part of my A/T hiking has to do with a quest for the peace of mindwhich comes through being in nature ... Not so The Doyle. The loud, grating music blaring in the downstairs area, the unfortunates congregating in the bar and pool hall, have less to do with a quest for better living than most any other slice of American culture.

Hey! I'm one one of those unfortunates.

People drink, smoke, play pool, tell lies, talk on cellphones, make fun of people like you, and flirt in bars. Only speaking for myself, but places such as the Doyle have improved the quality of my life. :banana

Let's see. You also trashed the campground and called Duncannonites low-lifes and arsonists. Where do you want the keys to the city mailed?

Jack Tarlin
12-10-2004, 16:38
Whatta whiner you are!!

Hey pal---nobody goes to a cathouse because they're interested in hearing the piano player. If one is seeking peace and quiet, the prudent man generally doesn't sleep above a saloon.

And as to the "unfortunates" in evidence, did you actually try and talk to any of them before universally condemning them? The people who work at and frequent the Doyle are some of the nicest folks I've met on the Trail, and Duncannon, despite its evident economic woes, is absolutely one of the most hiker-friendly places on the entire A.T. What a pity they didn't live up to your high standards. I see you're from Greeneville, Maine. Gee, excuse me for saying this, but that ain't exactly the most cosmopolitan place on the planet either, bub.

As to "loud, grating" music, actually, the jukebox in the bar is considered to be one of the best on the Trail. You were expecting light clasical or a string quartet, perhaps? Gosh, you must have come on the wrong night.

Regarding the fire: How the hell do YOU know what caused it? And whatever its cause, I can't believe you're objecting to the resultant noise when the local department decided to actually do their jobs and put it out. I guess they should've realized you were deep in slumber across the street and out of respect for your esteemed person, they should've let it burn down.

I suggest you get over yourself.

And early in your post, you mentioned that you were aware that the Doyle was considered "legendary". If you weren't completely ignorant of the Trail and its history, then you'd know WHY it's considered legendary, and that's because it attracts vibrant, fun, and active people, people who enjoy the company of others without judging them by their clothes, careers, or material wealth. In short, it has always appealed to friendly, open-minded, non-judgmental, real people. It has never attracted pompous, high-minded, long-nosed, elitist, high-maintenance snobs.

But at least now you know better in case you visit again.

Oh. I just re-read your post----you mention that one of your main reasons for spending time on the Trail involved your quest for the peace of mind that comes from being in nature.

So I ask again----what were you doing in a bar or a hotel then?

Skeemer
12-10-2004, 17:19
I agree with everything in BJ's post. If you did any kind research before your hike you knew exactly what the Doyle would be like. It's reputation is well established here, on trailjournals, and in the hiking community. It's a fun spot. I remember being warned ahead of time that it was not the place to stay for a good night's rest.

When I stayed there in '03, I joked about it in my journal...the bed springs sinking to the floor; being warned not to flush the toilet while someone is in the shower; the guy roaming the halls talking to himself at night; the warning about the windows being fragile; late drinkers and partyiers, etc, etc.

Would I stay there again?...Sure, if I wanted to add some variety and fun to my hike.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2004, 18:24
Shoulda camped in the woods. That's what you're out there for.

weary
12-10-2004, 20:49
Whatta whiner you are!!

Hey pal---nobody goes to a cathouse because they're interested in hearing the piano player. If one is seeking peace and quiet, the prudent man generally doesn't sleep above a saloon.

And as to the "unfortunates" in evidence, did you actually try and talk to any of them before universally condemning them? The people who work at and frequent the Doyle are some of the nicest folks I've met on the Trail, and Duncannon, despite its evident economic woes, is absolutely one of the most hiker-friendly places on the entire A.T. What a pity they didn't live up to your high standards. I see you're from Greeneville, Maine. Gee, excuse me for saying this, but that ain't exactly the most cosmopolitan place on the planet either, bub.

As to "loud, grating" music, actually, the jukebox in the bar is considered to be one of the best on the Trail. You were expecting light clasical or a string quartet, perhaps? Gosh, you must have come on the wrong night.

Regarding the fire: How the hell do YOU know what caused it? And whatever its cause, I can't believe you're objecting to the resultant noise when the local department decided to actually do their jobs and put it out. I guess they should've realized you were deep in slumber across the street and out of respect for your esteemed person, they should've let it burn down.

I suggest you get over yourself.

And early in your post, you mentioned that you were aware that the Doyle was considered "legendary". If you weren't completely ignorant of the Trail and its history, then you'd know WHY it's considered legendary, and that's because it attracts vibrant, fun, and active people, people who enjoy the company of others without judging them by their clothes, careers, or material wealth. In short, it has always appealed to friendly, open-minded, non-judgmental, real people. It has never attracted pompous, high-minded, long-nosed, elitist, high-maintenance snobs.

But at least now you know better in case you visit again.

Oh. I just re-read your post----you mention that one of your main reasons for spending time on the Trail involved your quest for the peace of mind that comes from being in nature.

So I ask again----what were you doing in a bar or a hotel then?

Well I've never stayed at the Doyle. But given BJ's endorsement, I certainly will the next time I'm in the area. It's just my kind of place.

Weary

Rocks 'n Roots
12-10-2004, 21:53
I picked up my drop and headed up into the Peters Mountain hills and away from the highway noise and smoke. I like the price at the Doyle. Maybe someday I'll drop in. I have a picture of myself standing in front of it on my 1986 hike...

Cuppa Joe
12-11-2004, 15:37
I have to say my stay at the Doyle last year was great! I rolled into town around 1:00 and when I walked into the registration office ..i.e; the bar I ran into a couple of people I had not seen in awhile. Pappa Bear, Badger, and N-R-Chi, and Flip Flop were there . We proceeded to have a good time.

Shortly thereafter, Krispy Kritter, The Hobbits, Lint, Polar and Pilot rolled in. The fun began in earnest and to top things of Bag of Tricks shows up. We had live entertainment that night and the celebration carried on into the wee hours of the morning.

Will I do it again .. hell yes! Next year ..when I try again. There are places to go if you are not into "The Doyle" so, too complain about it seems somewhat stupid.

artknab
12-11-2004, 17:05
Frankly, I enjoyed Ridgewalker's thoughtful post. I don't believe he (or she) was totally serious, but another opposite view of the place is refreshing. The caustic attacks on this post indicate how intolerant of maintaining the Appalachian Trail's status quo, a lot of the regulars are. There have got to be a lot of A/T hikers who have standards, unlike the loudmouth slobs and swine who enjoy wallowing in the mire of bars and low-life towns.

Jack Tarlin
12-11-2004, 17:22
You know, for a fake post, that one was actually pretty funny.

Someone out there has WAY too much time on their hands.

The Old Fhart
12-11-2004, 17:52
I have stayed at the Doyle several times over the last 15 years and I am pleased to see improvements by the new owners. I have always had a good time there and look forward to the next Billville meeting to be held there. I have found the local people to be very friendly and tolerant, even of hikers who complain about firemen doing their job. Perhaps the way you are treated has more to do with how you view and treat others than with them.

LIhikers
12-13-2004, 10:39
This past summer my wife and I passed through the Doyle during our section hike of PA. I have to say that I really enjoyed the place. We were only there for lunch but spent the better part of the afternoon. The food, including the beer, was good as was the conversation with hikers, locals, and Vicki. The more we talked the longer we stayed, the more we ate, until I had to either leave or I'd burst if I ate another bite. As we got up to leave Vicki had us sign the hiker register and took our picture for the hotel's web site. I'm glad we had the chance to visit the Doyle Hotel. :)

Lugnut
12-13-2004, 12:10
For those interested, here is the link to the Doyle:

http://www.doylehotel.com/_wsn/page2.html

Also nice to see they have a link on their homepage to Whiteblaze.

tanichols
12-13-2004, 12:29
All this continued talk of the Doyle is going to make me drive up the road for lunch there :) I'll leave and go up there in about an hour :)

I was there on Saturday Night and enjoyed a WONDERFUL Meatloaf Dinner Special with Mashed Potatoes and Stewed Tomatoes. All homemade along with some wonderful Garlic Bread. AND washed down with a nice big PBR and a mixed drink or two :) I stayed awhile and enjoyed some "fried" snacks as well....

Pat and Vickey were in and the place is decked out for the holiday season.

Shrek (from out West) is back working there again after his 2 year AT thru hike and adventures on the John Muir Trail. I think he took off this past Spring from the Doyle for some hiking and now he's back. Real nice guy!

They said they had some SOBO's come in last Monday and have had some weekend hikers stop in. I guess they'll be having a hiker gathering of some sort there in February....

Julia
12-16-2004, 16:17
I look forward to staying there when I make it to Pennsylvania. I hear the hiking is very hard on boots in Pennsylvania, so the trail towns will be a welcome break.
Unfortunate start to a good set of posts. First poster was probably having a bad day.

chomp
12-16-2004, 17:00
It is a great place for sure. Friendly people, great food, cheap beer. What else can you ask for? I look forward to getting back there in Feburary.. :)

More on this after the New Year.

saimyoji
01-17-2005, 03:16
An excerpt from "Then the Hail Came" by George Steffanos

http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail/Hail-ch14.html

As I was leaving, I had a nice conversation with the lady I had met earlier. She gave me some of the history of the place. The hotel was built around the turn of the century by the Anheuser-Busch brewery. It was one of a string of similar hotels, each centered around a bar that spotlighted their products. When Prohibition came, they sold them all off. It has been a family business ever since ever since. They now rent most of the rooms on a monthly basis to local residents, and are fond of the Appalachian Trail hikers who provide much of their overnight business. She went into great detail about how they had kept all of the old furnishings to this day, except for the beds. These were a big part of the atmosphere of the place which I had felt as soon as I first walked in yesterday evening. When I left, she told me to watch out for snakes and bad water.

I find it interesting that the Bud company built bars to sell its product back then. Does anyone know any more of the history of the Doyle, or other places like it?

walkin' wally
01-17-2005, 08:53
I used the link to the Doyle Hotel and was impressed by the floodwater pics. I wonder how long it takes for the water to recede.
Nice to see all the hiker pics. I hope they add more.

WalkinHome
01-17-2005, 19:56
It is my understanding that before Prohibition, breweries owned places like the Doyle to distribute their products. After Prohibition they were forced to sell off these properties and had to set up a new distribution system.

ATSeamstress
04-30-2005, 09:24
What's a "Billville meeting"?

Lone Wolf
04-30-2005, 09:27
Buncha drunks getting together doing drunk stuff.

jackiebolen
04-30-2005, 14:10
I stayed at the Doyle last summer and would give it my whole-hearted endorsement.

The owners love thru-hikers and treated us extremely well. For example, they found out I was a big fan of the Calgary Flames and the game was on that night so the lady hooked me up with the big-screen TV upstairs, which she obviously did not have to do.

Another example...the grocery store is a bit outside of town so the owner gave us a free shuttle there because the road is a bit dangerous and he didn't want us to get hurt. I am sure he had better things to do but was a nice guy!

Plus cheap beer, cheap food...what more could you want?

Highly recommended.

ATSeamstress
04-30-2005, 17:11
Thanks Wolf.

The Old Fhart
04-30-2005, 17:37
Lone Wolf-"Buncha drunks getting together doing drunk stuff."Huh? I guess a several of us that go to the Billville meetings at the Doyle will have to stay home because we mostly drink coke. Actually I never knew Lone Wolf drank until I saw him sober once. :D

neo
04-30-2005, 22:26
i stayed there on a sunday in october 2003,the doyle is a dive,but it is a classic dive with a lot of character,i stay there for tradition,i enjoyed my stay there

:cool: neo

The Old Fhart
05-01-2005, 09:42
ATRagamuffin-What's a "Billville meeting"?Seeing you've heard from Lone Wolf-"Buncha drunks getting together doing drunk stuff," Maybe you'd like to know some of the "drunk stuff" that actually occured the last time we were at the Doyle on a weedend in March. Most of Saturday was spent on an work trip where, I think it was 16 of us plus another non-drinking friend visiting us at the Doyle, joined ALDHA volunteers to help repair problems at the Ironmaster's Mansion at Pine Grove Furnace. We were thrilled to be able to help and got a lot of the problems fixed.

If this is considered "drunk stuff" by the uninformed, I think we all need to do more drunk stuff. :D

ATSeamstress
05-01-2005, 11:15
Thanks, Old Fhart, for the further clarification. I couldn't agree more that we all need to do more of this "drunk stuff". Maybe I can be a designated driver. At any rate, after reading about the Doyle, I'll gladly stop there on my thru-hike in 2009.

Ragamuffin

:banana

Seeing you've heard from Lone Wolf-"Buncha drunks getting together doing drunk stuff," Maybe you'd like to know some of the "drunk stuff" that actually occured the last time we were at the Doyle on a weedend in March. Most of Saturday was spent on an work trip where, I think it was 16 of us plus another non-drinking friend visiting us at the Doyle, joined ALDHA volunteers to help repair problems at the Ironmaster's Mansion at Pine Grove Furnace. We were thrilled to be able to help and got a lot of the problems fixed.

If this is considered "drunk stuff" by the uninformed, I think we all need to do more drunk stuff. :D

Panzer1
05-01-2005, 12:38
My best memory of the Doyle was in was in June 2001, I hiked from Darlington shelter to the Doyal on a hot day. When I got there I ordered 2 22 oz Black and Tan draft beers along with this giant basket of French Fries and a really big hamburger. AHHHHHHHHH.....

Panzer

Rendezvous01
05-01-2005, 18:02
I ended the first half of my thru-hike in Boiling Springs, then hitched a ride up to Duncannon just so I could start the intermission with a draft at the Doyle. Oh, and to buy a round for some Trail buddies who were a day or two ahead of me. Didn't stay there overnight, though. Great start to halftime, so much so I haven't commenced the second half of my hike yet...
GA-PA '01, rest of the way: soon!

Jester2000
05-07-2005, 18:47

That is honestly one of the funniest descriptions of Billville I've ever read.

stupe
05-07-2005, 19:09
At $18.50 a night, you gotta figure it ain't gonna be the Hilton. I stayed there last year, and the only thing that ruined my rest was those early morning freight trains. I loved it, and loved the owners, the hikers, and the locals I met there. I plan to take a fishing vacation there maybe next year.

Lone Wolf
05-08-2005, 10:12
...that statement was made with love in my heart , Jester. You know that.

MOWGLI
05-08-2005, 10:14
Many a truth is said in jest.

Jester2000
05-09-2005, 15:55
I know, lw. Some folks may not realize you and I know one another. But I took it in the spirit in which it was meant. And speaking of spirits, I've got something for you to return the favor from last year. See you this weekend.

Panzer1
05-09-2005, 23:01
I find it interesting that the Bud company built bars to sell its product back then. Does anyone know any more of the history of the Doyle, or other places like it?
Before the PA turnpike was built, this was a popular vacation area. After the PA turnpike was built, people used the turnpike to go down to the Jersey shore area.

Panzer

c.coyle
05-10-2005, 07:35
Don't think this has been posted before:

Duncannon hotel celebrates 100 years (http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2005/05/08/business/busi01.txt)

Jack Tarlin
05-10-2005, 09:44
Mowgli snottily contributes "Many a truth was said in jest."

I realize he doesn't drink anymore, either socially or otherwise, but does he have to be such a smug, sanctimonious, moralizing prig about it?

The last time Billville got together was to do volunteer work at a Trail Hostel, Mowgli. And none of us were drinking at the time. Gee, sorry you seem to view this as a bunch of drunks doing drunk stuff. The rest of us viewed the day as a fun way to do something positive for the Trail.

And oddly enough, I don't recall seeing YOU there.

If you don't wish to drink anymore, that's fine and commendable. But that's still no excuse to make snide snotty remarks about folks whom, for the most part, you don't even know and have never met.

I thought part of a recovery program was to recognize other people's faults, forgive them their weaknesses, and to avoid being too judgmental about other people.

I guess this was a meeting and lesson that Mowgli managed to miss.

MOWGLI
05-10-2005, 09:56
Lighten up Jack. If my post came across as "snide"or "snotty" I apologize. That was not my intent. You seem to be a good group of folks - and I appreciate your volunteer efforts.

And as for me, I am far from perfect. I think I've proved that repeatedly here.

See you at Trail Days.

Jack Tarlin
05-10-2005, 10:06
You're right, Mowgli. Sometimes I need to lighten up, and tend to get overly defensive when it comes to my friends. It's just that this particular group of folks has continually been misjudged and unfairly characterized by folks in the hiking community who don't know them, and in the process, a lot of unkind things have been said about some very good people.

I'm biased, because these folks are friends of mine, but they're some of the finest people I've met in all my years of hiking; they do a lot of good for the Trail and the Trail community that nobody knows about mainly because they're pretty low-key about it.

Billville people are good folks, and it's gotten tiresome over the past few years to see flip comments and snap judgments from people who don't know us.

In any case, I invite any Whiteblaze members who'll be at Trail Days to drop by our camp and say hello. Our hospitality is well-known, and we'll have all sorts of food and beverages for our guests and friends. And this includes
juices and soft drinks.

You see, some of our members don't even drink.

Jester2000
05-10-2005, 18:19
You see, some of our members don't even drink.

Jeez, Jack, let's not be spreading that around. I don't want to attract the wrong element. . .

ridgewalker777
06-07-2005, 11:17
I was the fellow who left the unhappy post that started this thread...I'm truly sorry for offending people. Leaving a post or calling up someone in a bad mood is a mistake and actually sinful. It rarely does good and creates bad feelings which are resented. Again, sorry for the offense--there is no excuse.:datz

MOWGLI
06-07-2005, 11:37
I was the fellow who left the unhappy post that started this thread...I'm truly sorry for offending people. Leaving a post or calling up someone in a bad mood is a mistake and actually sinful. It rarely does good and creates bad feelings which are resented. Again, sorry for the offense--there is no excuse.:datz

You shouldn't have to apologize for speaking your mind. Last time I checked - this was still America. If you had deliberately gone out of your way to insult someone, that would be different.

Clearly, The Doyle is a favorite among some folks - but it ain't for everyone.

TOW
06-07-2005, 13:37
I'm sorry, but if you want a quiet restfull sleep, this place is rock bottom.
who are the owners now anyway? somebody let me know.

and i'll just have to say that you had an unfortunate experience but when i was there right before christmas of 2001 the new owners had just taken over. and man as i sit here typing this i am deeply moved with much gratitude to the way they and that whole town treated me. i was asked several times to please stay but i had to continue my walk......

i was so down on myself at the time and i walked out of there in a blinding snowstorm with such high spirits that i had energy until i got to port clinton on christmas day..............

c.coyle
06-07-2005, 14:26
who are the owners now anyway? somebody let me know.

Click Here (http://www.doylehotel.com/)

Jester2000
06-16-2005, 22:07
For those not interested in clicking there, Pat and Vickey are the current owners of the hotel.

They are managing to combine fixing the place up with taking care of hikers with welcoming the locals in the bar. All that would drive me around the bend and back again.

I have never felt anything less than completely welcome there, even when dressed as a giant beer bottle.

So to sum up: they're great folks doing a tough job, it's a wonderful place, it's a friendly town. See some of you at the bar on Saturday, July 9th, when Sue Grace's band will be playing upstairs. . .

ki0eh
09-04-2008, 10:31
Any word yet on whether the Doyle becomes smoke free on Sept 11? I'd hate to ask them but it seems pretty tough for them to meet the exception standards: http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=174&q=251345

max patch
09-04-2008, 10:55
Any word yet on whether the Doyle becomes smoke free on Sept 11? I'd hate to ask them but it seems pretty tough for them to meet the exception standards: http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=174&q=251345

Looks pretty easy to me. Prohibit anyone under 18 and thats basically all there is to it.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-04-2008, 11:12
Mowgli snottily contributes "Many a truth was said in jest."

I realize he doesn't drink anymore, either socially or otherwise, but does he have to be such a smug, sanctimonious, moralizing prig about it?

The last time Billville got together was to do volunteer work at a Trail Hostel, Mowgli. And none of us were drinking at the time. Gee, sorry you seem to view this as a bunch of drunks doing drunk stuff. The rest of us viewed the day as a fun way to do something positive for the Trail.

And oddly enough, I don't recall seeing YOU there.

If you don't wish to drink anymore, that's fine and commendable. But that's still no excuse to make snide snotty remarks about folks whom, for the most part, you don't even know and have never met.

I thought part of a recovery program was to recognize other people's faults, forgive them their weaknesses, and to avoid being too judgmental about other people.

I guess this was a meeting and lesson that Mowgli managed to miss.
Good to see you got the point.

partinj
09-04-2008, 12:26
Hi i will be doing a thur-hike in 2009 i plan on staying at the doyle hotel. I figure it will be one of the high point of my hike. Their use to a place almost like the doyle in aberdeen where i use to live great bar and hotel. Can wait to get their.
:D

DavidNH
09-04-2008, 13:36
The Doyle is one of the cheapest hostel on the AT. It is also the worst place one could stay and there is no way I will ever stay there again. The only reason it it is so popular is the bar and the fact that it is only 20 bucks a night.

In fact, where I to hike the trail again, I would avoid staying in Duncanon altogether. The whole town is a pit. Very unattractive and unappealing.

DavidNH

The Old Fhart
09-04-2008, 14:10
DavidNH-"The Doyle is one of the cheapest hostel on the AT. It is also the worst place one could stay and there is no way I will ever stay there again. The only reason it it is so popular is the bar and the fact that it is only 20 bucks a night.

In fact, where I to hike the trail again, I would avoid staying in Duncanon altogether. The whole town is a pit. Very unattractive and unappealing."You seem to be describing an entirely different place than the rest of us know. I have stayed there more than a dozen times and have enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and the great burgers and fries, and an occasional Yuengling. The live music there by Sue is great and if you're lucky you've heard Pat on the harmonica as well. The Doyle is kind of like 'Cheers' where everyone knows your name. The Cafe across the street is reasonably priced and has good food and service. Trail Angel Mary and others in town go out of their way to help hikers and there is a Billville sponsored hiker feed.

Like a lot of towns across America it has seen hard economic times but Duncannon has stayed positive and your belittling the town because of the economy is pretty smug and self-righteous. I look forward to visiting again and I'll bet the town would even welcome unappreciative sorts like you.;)

rafe
09-04-2008, 14:18
I can't say the Doyle was the classiest place I stayed at on the AT... but the food was good, the price was right, and Sue Grace's music was terrific.

Don H
09-04-2008, 14:48
I had a turkey burger when I stopped by during a section hike last spring, it was great! The owners were very nice and were offering rides to the store and laundry mat to thru hikers. I would have liked to stay the night but I needed to move on. Nice people trying to make ends meet in a tough buisness.

Blissful
09-04-2008, 14:52
We stayed here last year. Great food, and you can't complain about the room for the price. Had washer and dryer right down the hall. We liked it. I just didn't like the pay phone by the bar, a little noisy to hear (and practically the only pay phone we could find in Duncannon). A guy offered a shuttle to the grocery store too. The guy at the Internet place stayed open 20 minutes longer so we could complete our entries and didn't charge us extra. And it was nice having a cold drink entering town, courtesy of Trail Angel Mary. :)

Pedaling Fool
09-04-2008, 15:04
When I was there in summer of 2006 I seem to remember something the to effect "...pry from my cold dead fingers..."

chomp
09-04-2008, 15:34
Not only is this post mean-spirited, its fully untrue. I travel at least once a year back to Duncannon to meet up with friends and stay at the Doyle. It truly is one of the most hiker-friendly towns on the trail. Everyone has their own opinions, but to say the town is a "pit" is an exaggeration at best, malicious at worst.

The Doyle is one of the cheapest hostel on the AT. It is also the worst place one could stay and there is no way I will ever stay there again. The only reason it it is so popular is the bar and the fact that it is only 20 bucks a night.

In fact, where I to hike the trail again, I would avoid staying in Duncanon altogether. The whole town is a pit. Very unattractive and unappealing.

DavidNH

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2008, 16:10
Chomp nailed it.

The post was indeed mean spirited AND wrong.

David, to my knowledge, has been to Duncannon exactly once in his life.

I've been there around 20 times, and have never encountered anything but warm, outgoing, welcoming, and very friendly people.

People stay at the Doyle Hotel because it's inexpensive, but they also stay there because it's friendly, unjudgmental, and down to earth. Pat and Vicki have busted a gut, on very limited means, to make that place a haven for hikers and other guests, and they're two of the finest folks I know, on the Trail or off of it.

But what does David have to say about this?

He thinks its the worse place there is, that he'd never stay there again,and that the whole town is a pit.

Um, news flash to David......you won't be missed.

Oh, and since you found Duncannon "unpleasant and unappealing", I'm delighted that on another thread, you recently commented that you will no longer attend Trashgiving events (that's an enormous December hiker feed in New Hampshire for those who are wondering).

Well, this is marvelous news. You showed up for two years in a row, ate everything that wasn't nailed down, didn't contribute a cent or help wash a single plate, and then you went on-line telling folks how horrible the event and its attendees are. So if you don't want to grace us with your attendance anymore at our annual gathering, here's one word: Good.

But as for your comments about the Doyle and good people of Duncannon,
here's another word: Tacky. And as for your stating that you'll never stay in Duncannon ever again,well I hate to break this to you, but the thousands of good folks who choose to make this wonderful town their home aren't exactly busted up over your announcement.

You're gonna avoid and boycott Duncannon in the future, thus preventing people from sharing your company?

Well, thank you. Stay away. Look at your absence as a community service.

Lyle
09-04-2008, 16:36

DavidNH

Totally Disagree with these sentiments.

I'm by no means a party animal. About two beers is my limit, three and I fall asleep!

The place is old, below most reasonable standards for a hotel/motel, and a bit of a fire trap if misfortune were to strike. All these things are well known before a hiker decides to stay.

Back in May of '06 I chose to stay there. That rainy day the food was fantastic, the beer tasted great and everyone I met was more than helpful and friendly. The laundry was convenient, the shower was hot and the room was dry. As everything in life, go into a situation with your eyes open and make the best of it. No one hid any of the facts about the Doyle.

Will I stay there again? If the opportunity presents itself.

Blue Jay
09-04-2008, 16:52

DavidNH

I am truly in shock. There is someone on Whiteblaze lower than Mountain Dew and Minnisota. I always thought of you as just EXTREMELY BORING, but to slander the Doyle. I am speechless. Once I walked to the Doyle and then walked home. This year I went twice once by foot and once by car (not counting once by Trail Angel Marymobile). IMO, there is no better place on the entire AT (some just as good but no better). You have a right to your opinion, but I'm just shaking my head on this one.

Jesters Mom
09-04-2008, 16:55
I have visited the Doyle at various Billville events and at other times since 2000 when Jester did his thru-hike and I was introduced to the Doyle - the last time being the Hiker Feed in July. The current owners, Pat and Vicki, are two of the kindest, most accommodating and most hard working people I have ever met. I have taken friends up to Duncannon over the years and wouldn't think of going there without spending time at the Doyle. Jester and I have even taken friends there who were visiting us from Connecticut and Boston on a Saturday night when Sue Grace was playing and we all had a great time. It was worth the two hour drive up there and back. David obviously judges things by their outward appearance - what a pity he just doesn't get the Doyle. Too bad for him.

Tractor
09-04-2008, 17:18
My My. My feathers are ruffled as well. I understand David has his right to an opinion just as the rest of us but I must also post my POSITIVE experience at the Doyle and in Duncanon in general. I shall always remember good eats (including the breakfast across the street), cold beer, great company, good grocery and John Prine on the jukebox. Somehow my first song pick turned out to be the Doyle theme song. I had a room overlooking the street. I could see though the ceiling into the next floor while taking a shower. I slept just fine. Bless his heart I can't recall his name but the gent who lived there seemed to like the Ray Charles as if he had never heard it before. Priceless. Although I could only make out a few words per sentence we finally were able to communicate just fine.

The one little thing I didn't catch onto was the fact one needs to walk aways north before they can take a pee. Several cups of coffee had me dancing by the time I crossed the tracks.

If I find myself in the area I will surely stay there again.

weary
09-04-2008, 18:26
Well, since we are telling stories, I guess I should join in. My one stop was 1993, thanks to Wingfoot's recommendation. Along with me was a grandson, then 11, a couple of sisters, and Earle of The Cabin in Andover, Maine, though the latter hadn't been invented yet.

I thought of it as a very pleasant dump. I understand the pleasantness remains under the new owners. Conditions, people tell me, have improved. The next time I'm in the area, I'll certainly stop again to check out the accuracy of all these White Blaze comments.

Weary

Slo-go'en
09-04-2008, 19:48
The first time I stayed at the Doyle was back in 1988 or 89. My hiking partner at the time was having allergic reactions to all the pollon in the air (this was early sping). We walked into the bar and the bar-maid there at the time took one look at him and said "You need to see a doctor right away!" Then she gave him directions to the clinic and her car keys! He came back an hour or so later, full of anti-hystamines and looking much better.

I was back there again 2 years ago and the place hadn't changed much. I was sorry to see the horseshoe bar was replaced and the big old cast iron tubs you could soak in were also replaced by showers. I was kinda looking forward to the tubs. But, the food wad good and the beer was cold, what more could you ask for?

PS, remind me that hiking through PA twice is enough for one life time, though I did enjoy the Doyle and the Palmerton jail hostel.

WalkinHome
09-04-2008, 20:39
Pat and Vicky rule!!! I count them as best friends. The Doyle is not just a place to have a beer, fries, or get a room - it is an EXPERIENCE that cannot be appreciated by some. Their loss and more fries for me. When you turn out the lights, they are all four star LOL.

Frosty
09-04-2008, 21:26

DavidNHDid you clear this post through the Whiteblaze Official Opinion Controller before posting? You do understand that only approved opinions are allowed on Whiteblaze, don't you?

You are lucky this is the "new" Whiteblaze, kinder and gentler. In the old days, your above post would have been followed by personal attacks and personal insults, and you would have been flamed royally.

ed bell
09-04-2008, 22:24
I came to Duncannon earlier in the week not sure whether to stay at the Doyle Motel, the local campground or The Stardust Motel. I saw that the campground looked totally pathetic, having been washed out by the September floods. I decided to skip the Stardust, since the Doyle was so "legendary". Part of my A/T hiking has to do with a quest for the peace of mindwhich comes through being in nature. Hostels tend to be a reasonable compromise between civilization's comforts and natural living. Not so The Doyle. The loud, grating music blaring in the downstairs area, the unfortunates congregating in the bar and pool hall, have less to do with a quest for better living than most any other slice of American culture. I woke up to a siren--a raging fire at 4:30 A.M. across the street from The Doyle, and watch as firemen fought the blaze and knocked the windows of the building out. Odds-on liklihood it was arson as it was a building up for rent or sale. I'm sorry, but if you want a quiet restfull sleep, this place is rock bottom.

DavidNH

Did you clear this post through the Whiteblaze Official Opinion Controller before posting? You do understand that only approved opinions are allowed on Whiteblaze, don't you?

You are lucky this is the "new" Whiteblaze, kinder and gentler. In the old days, your above post would have been followed by personal attacks and personal insults, and you would have been flamed royally.Nothing wrong with folks giving their .02. Also nothing wrong with folks responding to criticisms. I have never stayed at the Doyle. Have you? If yes, what did you think and expect of the place?
I'll comment on David's post: his delivery was the worst possible way to deliver his opinion. His post was asking for a rebuttal instead of conveying his opinion. He got what his post asked for. I can convey his sentiments without being so ugly and mean spirited about it. Try this: The Doyle is one of the least expensive hotels on the AT. It is not necessarily an ideal destination for folks who simply want a good night's sleep. The folks who run the place, the bar, the fellowship and the price seemed to cause folks to gravitate to the place. That created an atmosphere I didn't care for. In fact, if I were to hike the trail again, I would avoid staying in Duncanon altogether. The place did not suit my needs.

Christus Cowboy
09-04-2008, 22:27
...In any case, I invite any Whiteblaze members who'll be at Trail Days to drop by our camp and say hello. Our hospitality is well-known, and we'll have all sorts of food and beverages for our guests and friends. And this includes
juices and soft drinks. You see, some of our members don't even drink.

Sorry if I'm crashing in on an "AA" meeting (emphasis "just kidding") First, of all I would like to thank Jack for the invite to his camp and as a non-drinker myself having juices and soft drinks is a nice addition for the "non-drinking Whiteblaze crowd. I've never been to the Doyle but I have read Jack's 2007 thru-hiker information where he noted the "festive environment" of the Doyle and that those who have embraced soberity should consider this condition prior to booking a room.....

The point I would make here to my collegues is that I believe the information out there (not only from Jack but other guidebooks as well) would be enough to give someone the "heads up" on this matter. Personally, I would probably just stop by there if I was in town just to say hey to everyone and then would find accomodations elsewhere. I would do this not because I'm a former alcoholic, or that I'm looking down on anyone who frequents such a place, I'm just not into that scene and certainly wouldn't want to impose my early sleep standard on an establishment that doesn't close down until 2:00am.

The Old Fhart
09-04-2008, 23:03
Christus Cowboy-"...I would do this not because I'm a former alcoholic, or that I'm looking down on anyone who frequents such a place, I'm just not into that scene and certainly wouldn't want to impose my early sleep standard on an establishment that doesn't close down until 2:00am."Just a little clarification: although I've had a beer or two there over the years, generally I stick to soda and go to bed between 10-11PM. I've never had any problem sleeping there and the bar downstairs or the 'function room' on the next floor have never bothered me getting a good night's sleep.

fancyfeet
09-05-2008, 00:17
I stayed at the Doyle in '02 and enjoyed it very much. The owners there were truly hospitable, caring people. I hiked into town in late October (29th, to be precise) and there was a steady, almost freezing rain. I didn't plan to stay in town, cuz I was broke. I didn't even have enough for a room, which was around 15 bucks at that time. I warmed up with a cup of chili and a mixed drink (hey, why not?) and arranged by phone for my sister to wire me some money. I ran into a hiker I had met a few times, who rightly interpreted my reluctance to stay there and offered to pay for a room for me. Vicky suggested we split a double to save him 10 bucks, if that was ok with me. She checked a couple of times to make sure everything was OK with me.

Pat drove me to the store to pick up my cash and some groceries the next day. I had a few other errands to run, so I was ready to hit the trail late in the afternoon after it had started to snow. Vicky tried to get me to stay another night since it was late and snowy, even offering to work something out if I couldn't pay. I decided to hike out anyway since I like an adventure. Turned out to be a huge ice storm up on the ridge, but it was exciting. Upon meeting some maintainers the next day, I found out that Vicky and Pat asked them to look out for me and make sure I was ok.

So, I'd have to say that though Duncannon and the Doyle are quite rundown, their true riches lie in the people and experiences there. I'd definitely stay there if I ever pass that way again.

Cheers to the Doyle!

Panzer1
09-05-2008, 00:40
When we have trail events there the place is always packed. So many people attend that your lucky if you get a bed. Always a good time there. In fact I may be stopping there on thrusday night on my way down to the West Virginia gathering in october. I'll see you there.

Panzer

Christus Cowboy
09-05-2008, 08:11
Just a little clarification: although I've had a beer or two there over the years, generally I stick to soda and go to bed between 10-11PM. I've never had any problem sleeping there and the bar downstairs or the 'function room' on the next floor have never bothered me getting a good night's sleep.

Duly noted.... you've been there and I haven't so any statement you make would be more authoritative than mine since yours is based on actual experience and mine is being based on what I've read....

Many Walks
09-05-2008, 11:32
We wouldn't have missed the Doyle and were glad we stopped there. Pat and Vicky were wonderful, the food and beer was great, and we really enjoyed mingling with the "unfortunates"...so I guess we resemble that remark. Love it for what it is and what it contributes to the trail culture. If you don't care for that you always have the option to stay in the woods.

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2008, 17:24
Note to Frosty:

When someone goes on line and disparages two folks who are universally liked and admired on the Trail (like Pat and Vicki), and when someone goes on line and disparages them, their work, their place of business, and when someone totally ignores all of the hard work they've done in order to turn their place of busines into one of the most hiker-friendly places on the entire Trail......well yeah, Frosty, when someone goes on-line and does all this, and says such hurtful and false things, well they're gonna get some immediate feedback on their comments.

If Frosty thinks David has been "royally flamed" here, well here's the news:

He deserved to be.

MOWGLI
09-05-2008, 17:32
I thought the place was a dive when I stayed there in 2000. The wall in my room was oozing. And there was a near fracas in the bar that night with some drunken a-hole causing a scene.

I can't speak to the cleanliness of the place now, because I haven't been there in over 8 years. You can't deny that many in the hiking community seem to love the place.

Has it been cleaned up? The owner was new in 2000, and seemed determined to make it a nicer place.

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2008, 17:42
As anyone who has met them can attest, the present owners have indeed made it a much nicer place, and this is the attitude they bring with them to work every single day.

DavidNH
09-05-2008, 17:45
Well, I guess you guys don't like folks expressing oppinions different from yours. I found the down and the hotel unattractive plain and simple. Perhaps my language was a bit strong but I stand by what I said. I didn't care for Duncanon. By far the least attractive town I found along the trail. I am glad though it had at least basic services. But what a defensive crowd you are. I wasn't trying to be smug. Just saying I didn't like the place and wont stay there again. Get over your selves guys!

Jack.. you have made good posts over the years but your defensive comments are tiresome. Just put me on ignore and lets be done with it.

At the big trashgiving fests, yeah it was festive but it was also crowded, full of folks smoking ciggarettes or other drugs and loaded with alcohol. at least that is what I found. Not my cup of tea.

David

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2008, 17:53
David:

Please note that I was not alone in speaking up for the Doyle.

Your opinion seems to be the minority one here. Just about everyone else who's been there recently speaks glowingly about the place and the fine folks who run it.

You seem to be alone with your disdain.

Why is that, I wonder?

chiefdaddy
09-05-2008, 17:54
They should have burned the doyle lol!!

I was greeted by a redneck meth head looking female that was so rude I deleted the pictures of the hotel that I had taken. I was excited to see the place and after walking in the bar for 1 minute and the girl behind the bar being so rude I could not wait to get out of town and away from that trash! I could have enjoyed it and I love a good dive hotel....just don't be rude for no reason. If I had done something I would not rant, I only walked in ready to enjoy the doyle for what it was. I will never spend my money there, I would rather use it for TP :D

chiefdaddy
09-05-2008, 18:04
I do understand that the girl was not the owner and I have heard others complain about her. no idea who she was except for that. I'm sure the place could be cool and I expected it to be! Maybe some other hikers had ruined it before I got there or the girl was having a "bad day" I have no clue. This is just what happened to me and my feelings after! I'm wide open so take your best shots at me or understand where I come from and what happened, I was stunned and shocked after leaving the place and first impressions are just that.

rafe
09-05-2008, 19:44
I thought the place was a dive when I stayed there in 2000...

Has it been cleaned up?

Can't give you a before and after comparison -- but it was still pretty divey in 2007. But Pat and Vickey were friendly and hospitable, and for $20, I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons, if you catch my drift.

The town is divey as well, but not much more (or less) so than many other trail towns. The supermarket is a bit beyond walking distance, but Pat offered to drive me there and back, which I very much appreciated. The convenience store in town (right next to the Doyle) barely qualifies for "short term" resupply.

There's a greasy spoon across the street from the Doyle that serves a decent breakfast.

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2008, 10:09
*The people that run the supermarket offer a free shuttle each day from the Doyle and back again, so there's need to walk it.

*And the "greasy spoon" described above is actually a very pleasant, very friendly, very clean little diner that serves good food. Why people have to use unpleasant terms to describe perfectly nice places escapes me.

Cookerhiker
09-06-2008, 10:13
I very much enjoyed breakfast at said "greasy spoon." I'd recommend it to anyone. Some of the locals were very interested in our hike but thought we were crazy hiking in mid-November.

weary
09-06-2008, 10:42
*The people that run the supermarket offer a free shuttle each day from the Doyle and back again, so there's need to walk it.

*And the "greasy spoon" described above is actually a very pleasant, very friendly, very clean little diner that serves good food. Why people have to use unpleasant terms to describe perfectly nice places escapes me.
I know what you mean, Jack. It's almost as bad as people using insulting words to reply to those who post honest "minority" comments about trail businesses.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2008, 10:45
The problem, Weary, is that some of those posts were NOT honest. They were unkind, uncalled for, and untrue, and by posting these things in the first place, it was good people in Duncannon who were being maligned and insulted.

But I don't see you rushing to their defense, not when it's easier to just criticize me. You need to find a new hobby.

rafe
09-06-2008, 10:54
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. (All photos August 18 & 19, 2007 )

IMG652: approaching town from the north
IMG653, 654: in town, within a few blocks of the Doyle
IMG661: Susquehanna river, from riverfront in town
IMG662: The Doyle (with white porch)
IMG666: looking back on town from the south

Sly
09-06-2008, 12:01
The Doyle (and Duncannon) didn't become legendary because it was 4 star. You walk into a bar to register. I would think after 1200 miles of hiking and staying in various hostels and motels, it wouldn't take but a minute to decide if it's the place for you.

Personally, I think it's great!

chiefdaddy
09-06-2008, 12:03
"*And the "greasy spoon" described above is actually a very pleasant, very friendly, very clean little diner that serves good food. Why people have to use unpleasant terms to describe perfectly nice places escapes me."

I agree and loved that place! the food was for sure Hiker friendly :D Cheap, good and wow for once I was full with out having to order for two.

BooBoo
09-06-2008, 12:38
I haven't been ot the Doyle since my thru hike. I had no trouble sleeping then again I arrived there just in time for happy hour!:)

A-Train
09-06-2008, 13:18
I don;t consider the term "Greasy Spoon" to have a negative conotation, only that you can get your basic American breakfast at a decent price in a no-frills place. Which is exactly what that place was, at least when I ate there.

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2008, 13:25
Sorry, A-Train, but you're wrong.

I suggest you Google "definitions greasy spoon"

The first hit says: "A small, inexpensive, often unsanitary restaurant."

Other hits will repeat this sentiment, tho they'll frequently use the words "dingy," "unclean" and "cheap."

To describe an eating establishment as a "greasy spoon" does indeed have negative connotations, and the Duncannon restaurant in question, Goodies, neither deserves nor warrrants this description, which, applied to Goodies, would be as unkind as it is false. The phrase "greasy spoon" has been around for around a century. And it isn't a compliment.

rafe
09-06-2008, 13:27
I don;t consider the term "Greasy Spoon" to have a negative conotation, only that you can get your basic American breakfast at a decent price in a no-frills place. Which is exactly what that place was, at least when I ate there.

That is pretty much the spirit in which the phrase was intended, in my post.

Wilson
09-06-2008, 13:28
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. (All photos August 18 & 19, 2007 )

IMG652: approaching town from the north
IMG653, 654: in town, within a few blocks of the Doyle
IMG661: Susquehanna river, from riverfront in town
IMG662: The Doyle (with white porch)
IMG666: looking back on town from the south
A lot of people, especially the younger ones have never been in a town like that...all they've experienced are spanking new shiney malls, shopping centers, chain restaurants, new home subdivisons, ect.

There're out of their comfort zone in a town like that.

rafe
09-06-2008, 13:35
A lot of people, especially the younger ones have never been in a town like that...all they've experienced are spanking new shiney malls, shopping centers, chain restaurants, new home subdivisons, ect.

There're out of their comfort zone in a town like that.

Well, if they started at Springer they've seen plenty of towns like that. IMO, Duncannon is reasonably typical as a trail town -- neither the best nor the worst.

What folks may not know is that the Doyle was at one point a thriving train-station hotel. (The old train depot is a block away.) But as Warren Zevon said, "the train don't run by here no more...." -- at least not trains carrying passengers.

A-Train
09-06-2008, 13:48
Sorry, A-Train, but you're wrong.

I suggest you Google "definitions greasy spoon"

The first hit says: "A small, inexpensive, often unsanitary restaurant."

Other hits will repeat this sentiment, tho they'll frequently use the words "dingy," "unclean" and "cheap."

To describe an eating establishment as a "greasy spoon" does indeed have negative connotations, and the Duncannon restaurant in question, Goodies, neither deserves nor warrrants this description, which, applied to Goodies, would be as unkind as it is false. The phrase "greasy spoon" has been around for around a century. And it isn't a compliment.

I'm glad there's no grey room to argue here, since you've decided I'm wrong based on 3 seconds of internet research. Your quoted definition says "often unsanitary" meaning that greasy spoon isn't inherently or inextricably always meaning dirty. Take the term at it's literal (online) definition. Many things I read and people I speak to use term widely as a "diner" or a place which serves basic American greasy meals, with copious amounts of food for reasonable prices. Maybe that place has changed in the past 5 years ago, but that is the experience I had. It's silly to debate cleanliness, unless one has been in the kitchens of such places. I assume they all use a moderate amount of hygiene and wouldn't have eaten there if I assumed otherwise.

I almost consider the term Greasy Spoon to be endearing, meaning a small, friendly eating establishment without assumptions, serving comfort food at agreeable prices. YMMV

No one was trying to villify the patrons of this place and you seem to be taking it way too personally. Even if someone was to defame their establishment, I hardly think it would affect their business or livelihood much.

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2008, 13:53
This isn't worth arguing about.

But since you're interested, A-Train, go spend MORE than 3 seconds researching the term. You'll quickly discover that it generally means dingy, cheap, fatty, greasy, and unclean eating places. It is NOT considered a compliment.

I have worked in many a restaurant and have many friends who presently manage or own restaurants. I assure you none of them would find it "endearing" to have their place of business described this way.

rafe
09-06-2008, 13:54
The phrase "greasy spoon" has been around for around a century. And it isn't a compliment.

No need to be so defensive, Jack. Here's the link the the Wikipedia entry on "greasy spoon." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greasy_spoon) Hygiene is mentioned briefly in the first paragraph -- but then no more. The article starts with this statement:
Greasy spoon is a colloquial term used in Britain and North America for archetypal working class eateries.
... which is pretty much what I was getting at when I used the term.

The bulk of the Wiki article describes the general nature of this type of eatery, in the USA and other countries. I've eaten at many a "greasy spoon" in my day.

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2008, 14:01
Actually, Terrapin, you're being dishonest. The Wikipedia article you cite does indeed start that way, but then IMMEDIATELY says that the term "is used to imply a less than rigorous approach to hygeine or dishwashing."

In other words, you just acknowledged what I've been saying: Use of the term is generally limited to dingy, dirty, unsanitary, nasty places. The term is not now, nor never has been a compliment.

I'm not being "defensive", Terapin. I'm merely trying to point out that you're wrong. You used the term to describe a perfectly nice Trail-town restaurant.
Your use of the term in this case is unkind, uncalled for, and simply wrong.

If you have a problem admitting this, well that's your problem.

rafe
09-06-2008, 14:06
Jack, my use of the term would only be "dishonest" if I meant something other than what I said. I've explained, two or three times now, what I meant. If you wish to derive offense from my remark, that's your choice, but not my intent.

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2008, 16:24
Can't believe this is still being debated. I just took off for two hours and went downtown. There's this big charity road race going on in Hanover, despite the rain, a half marathon, with all sorts of booths, food vendors, etc. I ran into several folks I know who work in, or help run local restaurants. (And three of them, Lou's, the Bagel Basement, and the Dirt Cowboy are where people go for breakfast).

Just for the hell of it, I brought up the term "greasy spoon." Without exception, they all said that in the restaurant business, the phrase is NOT considered a term that is either genteel or complimentary, and implies a place that is cheap, lower level, and unclean.

But since Terrapin obviously knows more about this subject than folks that spend around 60 hours a week actually working in, and running restaurants, I'll happily withdraw from this discussion. :rolleyes:

emerald
09-06-2008, 16:42
Kent, Connecticut? If you have the time, it doesn't take long to hike there.

If you want affordable lodging, meals and people who care about hikers, you're looking at it.:rolleyes:;):)

chiefdaddy
09-06-2008, 17:10
wow Kent was my second bad expierence on the trail. The General and myself had to Stealth camp at the corner of Rail road tracks and grave yard because the places to stay seemed to not want hikers even if they did have money. The food cost was off the charts and for the price I was still starved by small portions. Even the "24 hour" rest rooms were locked up at night lol

The coffee house down town was cool and had cute girls working there, the library was good and at least everything was in walking distance. I hated the fact that there were posted notices in bath rooms telling me what not to do and to use the "24 hour bath rooms" <---they were closed!! Even the outfitter stunk and had not showers like the book said. At least I got to wash my clothes.

Mr. Negative Chiefdaddy lol

Ps- I had a wonderful time in most places on the trail and like I have said before I love a good dive, Kent is a rich persons place where a hiker can leave town with out a shower.

chiefdaddy
09-06-2008, 17:12
And by the way the church was a no go when we were in Kent.

Matteroo
09-06-2008, 17:32
the doyle was what it was - we enjoyed it but if your expectations are... if you've got expectations, best to leave those elsewhere if you spend a night - its a unique place! staff was nice and friendly. We did not eat there but it seemed people (more than one) got food poisoning after eating there.. heard about it from a number of people and I thought I heard about it this year too.. anyone have details on that? Hemlock and Ziplock were who was around us and who I witnessed to be sick, last year.

not a knock on the doyle (per se) but it seemed strongly correlated - though I suppose it could have been pure coincidence. Duncannon is a town, like most in the midwest, that has had more prosperous times and are adjusting, as a community, to the changes all communities go through, difficult or not.

STEVEM
09-06-2008, 17:34
Only one way to know for sure order a black coffee and drop in your spoon. What you see is what you've got.

For what it's worth, most of the places around here qualify as "greasy-spoons", and are not suffering from a lack of customers or goodwill as a result. Actually, a Saturday morning breakfast at Jumboland or the S&S is among the few luxuries left for a working class family.

Cookerhiker
09-06-2008, 17:38
...downtown Frostburg has many locally-owned independent restuarants, pubs, and pizza places of varying quality, cuisine type, and price. One such neat little place is the Princess Restaurant (http://princessrestaurant.com/). I'm sure some "sophisticated" reviewers would consider it a "greasy spoon" as it is old-fashioned (think 1950s or older) with simple fare, closed on Sunday (good for the hard-working owners to enjoy a day off), not exactly prone to gourmet dishes, no alcohol, no industrial-style fast food, sit-down counter, waitresses who've worked there for years and call you "Hon," and incidentally as a bonus, they make their own chocolate candy on the premises. I don't eat there often but I'm so glad that it exists. And I'd personally be embarased as hell to even broach the question to the owners of whether they consider the term "greasy spoon" an endearing compliment.

If you want the industrial monoculture of fast food because you prefer the homogeneous mediocrity of national fast food chains, go out near I-68 for a McDs, BK, or Pizza Hut. But if you want the authenticity of an unfortunately disappearing phenomenon - the locally owned restaurant - come on downtown. Fortunately in most places, the local equivalents of the Princess Restaurant also exist in Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus, Duncannon, Port Clinton, Great Barrington, Rutland, Hanover, Monson, and probably other trail towns as well. But who knows what 50 years from now will bring? In all my travels, I always seek out local places. Sure, some turn out frankly lousy but I'd still rather give them my business at least once even if they are truly "greasy spoons."

And about those places close to the interstate: their success isn't solely due to business acumen or superior product. They benefit from the establishment of larger and wider highways, particularly the interstate system which enables motorists to avoid downtowns. I once heard that ******** Dave Thomas of Wendy's bemoaning government regulation and taxes and was enraged since it was government policies that made him a millionaire.

All those signs you see on the interstates ' "Food Exit XXX" - if I were dictator, I'd limit those to locally-owned establishments as a matter of public policy to steer motorists to old downtowns. The fast food chains don't need further promotion from the government (yeah, I know they pay the highway departments but it's probably a pittance for the benefit they receive).

A-Train
09-06-2008, 17:43

But since you're interested, A-Train, go spend MORE than 3 seconds researching the term. You'll quickly discover that it generally means dingy, cheap, fatty, greasy, and unclean eating places. It is NOT considered a compliment.

I have worked in many a restaurant and have many friends who presently manage or own restaurants. I assure you none of them would find it "endearing" to have their place of business described this way.

So Jack, if you consider a greasy spoon to be a dingy, cheap, fatty, greasy and unclean eating place, would you consider every restaurant on N Market Street to be a greasy spoon? I decided to take your advice and do more than 3 seconds of internet research. The PA Dept. of Health website shows infractions for every eating establishment on that strip including the 2 bars, ice cream place and 2 pizzerias which you just praised in a similar thread this afternoon. Some of these places have 5 or 6 infractions, which I can't imagine check out in your book as being all too sanitary. Some of the infractions are for minor things, but I'd start to question an establishment that has close to a half dozen issues.

I hate to the belabor the point but simply dismissing other people's point and opinions are not cool and something we've all worked to rid of on this new and improved WB.

STEVEM
09-06-2008, 17:53
...downtown Frostburg has many locally-owned independent restuarants, pubs, and pizza places of varying quality, cuisine type, and price. One such neat little place is the Princess Restaurant (http://princessrestaurant.com/). I'm sure some "sophisticated" reviewers would consider it a "greasy spoon" as it is old-fashioned (think 1950s or older) with simple fare, closed on Sunday (good for the hard-working owners to enjoy a day off), not exactly prone to gourmet dishes, no alcohol, no industrial-style fast food, sit-down counter, waitresses who've worked there for years and call you "Hon," and incidentally as a bonus, they make their own chocolate candy on the premises. I don't eat there often but I'm so glad that it exists. And I'd personally be embarased as hell to even broach the question to the owners of whether they consider the term "greasy spoon" an endearing compliment.

If you want the industrial monoculture of fast food because you prefer the homogeneous mediocrity of national fast food chains, go out near I-68 for a McDs, BK, or Pizza Hut. But if you want the authenticity of an unfortunately disappearing phenomenon - the locally owned restaurant - come on downtown. Fortunately in most places, the local equivalents of the Princess Restaurant also exist in Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus, Duncannon, Port Clinton, Great Barrington, Rutland, Hanover, Monson, and probably other trail towns as well. But who knows what 50 years from now will bring? In all my travels, I always seek out local places. Sure, some turn out frankly lousy but I'd still rather give them my business at least once even if they are truly "greasy spoons."

And about those places close to the interstate: their success isn't solely due to business acumen or superior product. They benefit from the establishment of larger and wider highways, particularly the interstate system which enables motorists to avoid downtowns. I once heard that ******** Dave Thomas of Wendy's bemoaning government regulation and taxes and was enraged since it was government policies that made him a millionaire.

All those signs you see on the interstates ' "Food Exit XXX" - if I were dictator, I'd limit those to locally-owned establishments as a matter of public policy to steer motorists to old downtowns. The fast food chains don't need further promotion from the government (yeah, I know they pay the highway departments but it's probably a pittance for the benefit they receive).

I actually had the honor of having breakfast while sitting in the Harry Truman booth at The Princess. Quite memorable.

Lugnut
09-06-2008, 18:32
Ah, dissension in the ranks! The old, interesting, and often entertaining WB is making a come back. :D

OregonHiker
09-06-2008, 20:05

Yeah, right :sun

TD55
09-06-2008, 20:10
Doyle should be on the list of National Landmarks. Those kinds places are vanishing. Enjoy them while you can.
Greasy spoons? I think the term is a slang term/phrase. It's meaning can be negative or positive. You have to consider culture, geography, generation, etc. Generaly it refers to an old style diner or cafe type place where the hot food is mostly fried in a pan, on a griddle or in a deep fryer. It's a style of cooking. Sort of like using the term "dude". On a beach amoungst surfers it's cool. I saw a news vid recently where a cop went off the handle when a teenageer kept calling him "dude". Anyhow, Doyle is a jewel and if you miss it, or places like it, I think you miss a part of the AT.

The Old Fhart
09-06-2008, 20:21
See this related thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40863) about rerouting the trail straight past the Doyle, P.O., ice cream place, etc.. A number of hikers have thought this would be a good idea. It would be just a little bit shorter so it has the added advantage of allowing DavidNH to get out of Duncannon a little faster!;)

Kirby
09-06-2008, 21:11
Duncannon is not a town I would ever stay in again. I would time it so that I could get the 4PM shuttle to the grocery store. I would resupply and hike out to the first shelter. I had to stay in that town two nights due to food poisoning, and I was completely miserable.

Don't get me wrong, the owners of the hotel are great people.

Kirby

A-Train
09-06-2008, 21:43
Doyle should be on the list of National Landmarks. Those kinds places are vanishing. Enjoy them while you can.
Greasy spoons? I think the term is a slang term/phrase. It's meaning can be negative or positive. You have to consider culture, geography, generation, etc. Generaly it refers to an old style diner or cafe type place where the hot food is mostly fried in a pan, on a griddle or in a deep fryer. It's a style of cooking. Sort of like using the term "dude". On a beach amoungst surfers it's cool. I saw a news vid recently where a cop went off the handle when a teenageer kept calling him "dude". Anyhow, Doyle is a jewel and if you miss it, or places like it, I think you miss a part of the AT.

Thank you for your rationality. I wish you had posted this earlier!!

bfitz
09-06-2008, 23:06
The Doyle is the best bar in the universe.

TD55
09-06-2008, 23:24
bfitz...you must be drunk, or you need to visit more bars.

Odd Thomas
09-07-2008, 05:41
Actually, Terrapin, you're being dishonest. The Wikipedia article you cite does indeed start that way, but then IMMEDIATELY says that the term "is used to imply a less than rigorous approach to hygeine or dishwashing."

In other words, you just acknowledged what I've been saying: Use of the term is generally limited to dingy, dirty, unsanitary, nasty places. The term is not now, nor never has been a compliment.

Where the article stated "is used to imply a less than rigorous approach to hygiene or dish washing" they were referring to the idiom's etymology, not the current expression's use, this is apparent by the rest of that sentence: "and appears to date from 1925."

Lyle
09-07-2008, 09:34
So Jack, if you consider a greasy spoon to be a dingy, cheap, fatty, greasy and unclean eating place, would you consider every restaurant on N Market Street to be a greasy spoon? I decided to take your advice and do more than 3 seconds of internet research. The PA Dept. of Health website shows infractions for every eating establishment on that strip including the 2 bars, ice cream place and 2 pizzerias which you just praised in a similar thread this afternoon. Some of these places have 5 or 6 infractions, which I can't imagine check out in your book as being all too sanitary. Some of the infractions are for minor things, but I'd start to question an establishment that has close to a half dozen issues.

I hate to the belabor the point but simply dismissing other people's point and opinions are not cool and something we've all worked to rid of on this new and improved WB.

To be quite honest here. My job fairly frequently gets me, unannounced, into the kitchens and back rooms of most every type of business. Let's just say that some of the "nicest" restaurants in town, and some of the most high-priced, are also some of the most disgusting. Using BJ's definition, MANY restaurants could qualify as a greasy spoon. And speaking to the number of infractions, that alone isn't a good indicator. Much more important are the nature of the infractions and their consistency. My $0.02 wort of opinion.

On another topic that was brought up in this thread. In a past life, I worked in the food service business. During that time, I had many opportunities to speak candidly with health department officials. They stated on several occasions that very few of the reported "food poisoning" cases are actually born out when the facts are checked. Most are attributable to other causes, and few even fit the time line necessary for serious consideration as a possible food poisoning instance. Just a heads-up that often times outward appearances influence our assessment of situations.

STEVEM
09-07-2008, 10:35
To be quite honest here. My job fairly frequently gets me, unannounced, into the kitchens and back rooms of most every type of business. Let's just say that some of the "nicest" restaurants in town, and some of the most high-priced, are also some of the most disgusting. Using BJ's definition, MANY restaurants could qualify as a greasy spoon. And speaking to the number of infractions, that alone isn't a good indicator. Much more important are the nature of the infractions and their consistency. My $0.02 wort of opinion.

On another topic that was brought up in this thread. In a past life, I worked in the food service business. During that time, I had many opportunities to speak candidly with health department officials. They stated on several occasions that very few of the reported "food poisoning" cases are actually born out when the facts are checked. Most are attributable to other causes, and few even fit the time line necessary for serious consideration as a possible food poisoning instance. Just a heads-up that often times outward appearances influence our assessment of situations.

I worked for a while installing and servicing kitchen fire suppression systems. Most people have no idea whats above the ceilings and behind the appliances in a commercial kitchen. There's not a lot of difference between five star restaurants, major medical centers, franchise chains, and mom and pop diners. Roaches and mice are really not all that fussy.

A-Train
09-07-2008, 11:08

You're correct. Most of the infractions in Duncannon were minor ones, and I wasn't trying to draw attention to them being unlawful businesses. It was simply a point towards Jack's argument that Greasy Spoon had a nasty, dirty connotation, as if he'd ever patrionize such disgusting establishments. I've been working in a kitchen before when the health inspectors arrived unexpectedly. Most of their qualms were quite trivial, more reminders than slaps on the wrist.

Jack Tarlin
09-07-2008, 13:44
Right. Most of their qualms are trivial, and it's not at all surprising for a restaurant to be hit up with five or six minor infractions. Virtually NOBODY ever scores 100% on a restaurant inspection, and just for the record, I've been inside the kitchens of most of these establishments in Duncannon, and yes, I'd happily eat in any of them again.

bfitz
09-07-2008, 18:27
bfitz...you must be drunk, or you need to visit more bars.Well...like, I may be drunk....but you know...like... in the morning I'll be sober and you, well...that'sss still just gonna be like yourr opinion, man.

Hoop Time
09-07-2008, 18:51
Looks pretty easy to me. Prohibit anyone under 18 and thats basically all there is to it.

Gee, I hope not. That would prohibit Cookie Monster and her sisters from joining the Mrs. and I there for burgers and fries, which are world class.

My kids love the food and the atmosphere. Of course we don't stay there late in the evening after hitting the Doyle for dinner.

Great place. Great food. Great music. Great people.

TD55
09-07-2008, 19:16
Correct, just my opinion. I am biased 'caus I live in an area full of bars at the beach. I give the Doyle high points, but the universe is a big place and I've only been to bars on this planet.

Odd Thomas
09-07-2008, 19:20
Correct, just my opinion. I am biased 'caus I live in an area full of bars at the beach. I give the Doyle high points, but the universe is a big place and I've only been to bars on this planet.

Never had a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster then. You at least know where your towel is, right?

NICKTHEGREEK
09-07-2008, 19:37
Can't believe this is still being debated. I just took off for two hours and went downtown. There's this big charity road race going on in Hanover, despite the rain, a half marathon, with all sorts of booths, food vendors, etc. I ran into several folks I know who work in, or help run local restaurants. (And three of them, Lou's, the Bagel Basement, and the Dirt Cowboy are where people go for breakfast).

Just for the hell of it, I brought up the term "greasy spoon." Without exception, they all said that in the restaurant business, the phrase is NOT considered a term that is either genteel or complimentary, and implies a place that is cheap, lower level, and unclean.

But since Terrapin obviously knows more about this subject than folks that spend around 60 hours a week actually working in, and running restaurants, I'll happily withdraw from this discussion. :rolleyes:

Ummmmm. Let's see if I got this right. So you can't believe it's still debated, even after 2 hours after went downtown amid numerous totally unrelated distractions. Then you still manage to broach the subject of greasy spoons with several folks who work in the food industry "just for the hell of it". I guess because there's nothing else to discuss like the hurricanes or business politics or football season. Very, very:( sad.

Jack Tarlin
09-07-2008, 19:45
Ummm. It's almost as sad, Nick, as the staggering number of your posts here at Whiteblaze that are directed at me. Sad and sorta unhealthy. You need a new hobby.

Alligator
09-07-2008, 20:00
I need a new hobby too--breaking up fights is unhealthy. You just don't know how many nails I've split pounding on this keyboard:jump.

bfitz
09-07-2008, 20:30
....I've only been to bars on this planet.Shows what you know. But the Doyle fulla hikers and music is usually a blast. Plus, at least three of the ten most important moments in my life have occurred there. So far.

weary
09-07-2008, 20:45
Shows what you know. But the Doyle fulla hikers and music is usually a blast. Plus, at least three of the ten most important moments in my life have occurred there. So far.
Tell us about those three times! We are waiting with baited, bated, or some kind of anxiety, anyway.

Weary

TD55
09-07-2008, 20:45
Anyone claiming to have had a Galactic Gargle Blaster on this planet has been tricked. It ain't possible. Is it?

weary
09-07-2008, 20:55
I need a new hobby too--breaking up fights is unhealthy. You just don't know how many nails I've split pounding on this keyboard:jump.
Just relax Alligator. This too will pass.

A wearying kind of person.

The Old Fhart
09-07-2008, 20:56
I had a Pangalactic Gargle Blaster at The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, but not at the Doyle.;)

Hoop Time
09-07-2008, 21:02
I certainly would not base my views on a Wikipedia definition. If you'd like, I can quickly change that definition to read any way I want it to.

Greasy spoon is not neccessarily a derogatory term. Just like the term "dive" or "joint", it can be used in a complimentary, or at least neutral, manner.

Personally, I don't see the Doyle as a "greasy spoon." I reserve that phrase for fine late night diners. When alcohol is served, dive or joint fit better.

bfitz
09-07-2008, 21:05
Tell us about those three times! We are waiting with baited, bated, or some kind of anxiety, anyway.

WearyYou'll have to wait for my memoir "The Audacity Of Dope" to come out.

TD55
09-07-2008, 22:15
I don't think anyone referred to the Doyle as a greasy spoon. I think someone referred to one of the cafe's in Duncannon as a greasy spoon. Did anyone find a towel on the trail?

The Old Fhart
09-07-2008, 22:18
TD55-"...Did anyone find a towel on the trail?"No, but I found a few bags of salted peanuts.;)

Blissful
09-07-2008, 23:03
When I was growing up in NY we always called diners (like those ones that are open all night long serving truckers; with the aluminum fronts and siding and red plastic seats in the booths) greasy spoons. It's just a term we used. And some of those places were greasy, for sure.

But we did not eat at the place across the street in Duncannon, though I did hear the breakfast was excellent. We ate at the pizza place - so-so pizza.

Lone Wolf
09-08-2008, 05:30
Shows what you know. But the Doyle fulla hikers and music is usually a blast. Plus, at least three of the ten most important moments in my life have occurred there. So far.

great place if you like smoke and foul smelling rooms

ki0eh
09-08-2008, 08:05
Gee, I hope not. That would prohibit Cookie Monster and her sisters from joining the Mrs. and I there for burgers and fries, which are world class.

My kids love the food and the atmosphere. Of course we don't stay there late in the evening after hitting the Doyle for dinner.

Great place. Great food. Great music. Great people.

That's my view too - it's really not that bad in there when Vickey is the only one smoking ;).

However, I think I have to apologize for resurrecting this thread to ask a question, that one weekend and five pages later remains unanswered. :(

rafe
09-08-2008, 08:08
great place if you like smoke and foul smelling rooms

Pinehurst, it's not. But it's a damn sight cheaper.

jersey joe
09-08-2008, 09:55
You get what you pay for at the Doyle. And you get what you should expect based on the look of the place and the fact that it is above a bar.

Alligator
09-08-2008, 15:42
For those interested in arguing whether smoking should or should not be allowed in bars and restaurants, there's a new thread here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40917). If you can't see it, you may need to subscribe to Non-AT General.

minnesotasmith
09-08-2008, 15:45
Pinehurst, it's not. But it's a damn sight cheaper.

What's Pinehurst?

Lone Wolf
09-08-2008, 16:07
What's Pinehurst?

a town in north carolina that has lots of golf courses and condo rentals

Terry7
09-08-2008, 16:27
I have just come off the trail after 4 months. I am not going to read thru all this crap, I just wanted to say that the Doyle was great and I dont even drink.

Panzer1
09-08-2008, 20:08
Another good thing about the Doyle is that you don't have to drive anywhere after partying there. That is a realy big advantage of the place. You can party, eat and be with friends, leave a good tip and not spend a lot of money.

Panzer

Deerleg
09-10-2008, 20:32
The Doyle (and Duncannon) didn't become legendary because it was 4 star. You walk into a bar to register. I would think after 1200 miles of hiking and staying in various hostels and motels, it wouldn't take but a minute to decide if it's the place for you.

Personally, I think it's great!

It was a great stop for me too after just a few days in Feb.
http://i38.tinypic.com/35k624l.jpg

Panzer1
09-10-2008, 20:46
I think way back before the PA turnpike was built the Doyle (or Johnston) was know as a honeymoon destination for locals.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
09-10-2008, 20:53
I think way back before the PA turnpike was built the Doyle (or Johnston) was know as a honeymoon destination for locals.

Panzer

it was an anhauser busch joint for drunks. still is

rafe
09-10-2008, 21:26

The Doyle was a railroad hotel. If you walk out the front door and toward the river and tracks, you'll come to the old railroad depot in about 2 blocks. I'm guessing The Doyle died right about when passenger trains did.

Panzer1
09-10-2008, 21:53
The Doyle was a railroad hotel. If you walk out the front door and toward the river and tracks, you'll come to the old railroad depot in about 2 blocks. I'm guessing The Doyle died right about when passenger trains did.

The Duncannon area in general started to decline when the PA turnpike was built. When the turnpike was build people in the area were no longer a captive audience. It became easier for people to get to Philadelphia and points further away.

Panzer

Panzer1
09-10-2008, 22:37

smile when you say that...:)

Panzer

bfitz
09-10-2008, 22:44
The Doyle, in addition to being my favorite bar, really is "the" bar of the AT. The only other place even close is Dot's, which might have been a contender if they would serve me a white russian and put some Iron Maiden in the jukebox.

Newb
09-11-2008, 07:54
The Doyle, in addition to being my favorite bar, really is "the" bar of the AT. The only other place even close is Dot's, which might have been a contender if they would serve me a white russian and put some Iron Maiden in the jukebox.

What about the bar in Hot Springs..Paddler's pub? I like that place, and when I was there in April they stayed open way past 9 oclock since they had a good crowd.

chomp
09-11-2008, 08:55
What about the bar in Hot Springs..Paddler's pub? I like that place, and when I was there in April they stayed open way past 9 oclock since they had a good crowd.

That bar is nice but too expensive.

Other great AT bars:

5 Olde Nugget Alley in Hanover
Woodstock Station in Woodstock, NH
Mug Shots in Palmerton

There are more, but those stick out in my head.

A-Train
09-11-2008, 10:41

One of my fondest memories. I have a picture of about 20+ thru-hikers all in there. Of course I wasn't drinking, I was only 19 :)

MOWGLI
09-11-2008, 10:43
I was only 19 :)

My, how time flies!

Cookerhiker
09-11-2008, 12:51
Re other AT bars, what about the Port Clinton Hotel?

rafe
09-11-2008, 13:25

Had an excellent meal there, and my very first taste of Yuengling. The servings were enormous. Can't understand why anyone would miss it!

MOWGLI
09-11-2008, 13:27

Great place. Great fries.

the goat
09-11-2008, 13:53
the doyle is among the finest establishments on the entire trail. great food, great beer, very reasonably priced, great owners & staff who are very hiker friendly, something fun is going on there almost all the time......what's not to love?

and i have been through their kitchen before, loading some kegs into the walk-in for vicky, it's very clean back there.:sun

Jack Tarlin
09-11-2008, 14:20
While we're on the subject, let's not forget the wonderful folks who run Dot's Cafe in Damascus, and who have welcomed hikers for years and years.

Lone Wolf
09-11-2008, 14:22
While we're on the subject, let's not forget the wonderful folks who run Dot's Cafe in Damascus, and who have welcomed hikers for years and years.

yay dot! yay pam! yay pot!

Bearpaw88
09-11-2008, 14:25
yay dot! yay pam! yay pot!

Dots was by far my favorite bar on the AT!

To be fair I never made it past Waynesboro :eek: so I cannot comment on the Doyle.

Lugnut
09-11-2008, 20:10

And ZZ Top appears almost every night! :p

bfitz
09-11-2008, 23:04
Dots was by far my favorite bar on the AT!

To be fair I never made it past Waynesboro :eek: so I cannot comment on the Doyle.Like I said, Dot's is the only contender. The other bars mentioned are all good trail bars, to be sure, but the Doyle is special in a way the others aren't.

rafe
09-11-2008, 23:14
Like I said, Dot's is the only contender. The other bars mentioned are all good trail bars, to be sure, but the Doyle is special in a way the others aren't.

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department. Offer not valid after curfew in Sectors R or N.

Panzer1
09-12-2008, 00:17
Like I said, Dot's is the only contender. The other bars mentioned are all good trail bars, to be sure, but the Doyle is special in a way the others aren't.

The Doyle is the only place with the original "Room 23"

Panzer

mrc237
09-12-2008, 07:13
My, how time flies!

Re-visited an old surfer bar out in Newport Beach Cal. last mo. "Blackies by the SEA" beers are still reasonable at around $3.00 a pop. Not bad for its on the beach location. I remembered the first time I went there: Beer $.65? Time does fly, when yer havin' fun! :D

mrc237
09-12-2008, 07:17
Dot's - Doyle - same thing only different!

Blue Jay
09-12-2008, 09:36
Other great AT bars:

Mug Shots in Palmerton

I agree with this 100%. Many people go right by Palmerton and I used to do that also. After stopping at Mug Shots I won't go by again.

max patch
09-12-2008, 10:02
I'm not a big drinker, but I remember going to a bar in Culver Gap and having a couple beers and playing music on the jukebox. Stealthed in a park and was given free donuts in the morning from Washingtons bakery.

Hiked the next day to Unionville and played pool and had dinner and a couple beers at a bar. When they brought the bill they comped the alcohol.

Oh yeah, also got a free coke from the rangers at High Point State Park during the hike to Unionville.

rafe
09-12-2008, 10:06
I'm not a big drinker, but I remember going to a bar in Culver Gap and having a couple beers and playing music on the jukebox. Stealthed in a park and was given free donuts in the morning from Washingtons bakery.

I remember that bar at Culver Gap. I got in there around 9 or 10 AM, hoping for a big breakfast. They don't serve b'fast so I ended up with burger, fries and beer instead. Be sure to walk out back and check out the view.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_0196.jpg

Lone Wolf
09-12-2008, 10:07
The Schooner in Waynesboro
The Dog Patch in Maryland
The Sou-Mont Bar in South Mtn., PA
The Port Clinton Hotel bar
Gyp's Tavern in NJ
Backtrack Inn in NY

Lone Wolf
09-12-2008, 10:08
I remember that bar at Culver Gap. I got in there around 9 or 10 AM, hoping for a big breakfast. They don't serve b'fast so I ended up with burger, fries and beer instead. Be sure to walk out back and check out the view.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_0196.jpg

gyp's tavern

max patch
09-12-2008, 10:14

WOW! I got there around 9:30 pm. I had NO IDEA that view was back there! Now I have an excuse to return....

Thats for posting the pic.

ki0eh
09-26-2008, 09:36
Any word yet on whether the Doyle becomes smoke free on Sept 11?

Without a definite answer from WB, I had to go there last night to find out for myself!

The answer is NO (big surprise).

There is now a sign on the door "no one under 18 admitted" and another sign indicating there is not a no smoking area.

I had a fine dinner among wonderful folks as always, but since I didn't hike in I couldn't eat it all. :D

Yahtzee
09-26-2008, 09:53
The Dog Patch.
Gyp's
Inn at the Long Trail
The bar in Stratton.
Bar down the hill at Wind Gap at the "main" intersection.

ki0eh
01-18-2009, 20:29
Went there on Sat. Pat and Vickey were telling everyone (hikers and locals) that they are going smoke free on Monday 1/19/09. (While announcing they were having their last few public cigarettes of course...)

Apparently although they filed for the exemption (and consequently posted as in post #182 pending review, as allowed under the law) the state folks recently got around to telling them a hotel combined with bar won't qualify.

So minors will be able to enter again too.

Also Vickey said they do read WB from time to time but don't have time to post.

elray
01-18-2009, 21:04
First time I stayed there as a green section hiker years ago I thought "what a dump!". Hiked through there two years ago and thought "what a treasure". Thank God for the few enduring historic Trail traditions!

Panzer1
01-18-2009, 21:12
Went there on Sat. Pat and Vickey were telling everyone (hikers and locals) that they are going smoke free on Monday 1/19/09. (While announcing they were having their last few public cigarettes of course...)

Are the rooms going to be smoke free or just the bar?

Panzer

Kanati
01-18-2009, 21:40
There is nothing I could say about the Doyle that hasn't already been said many times. I can't imagine hiking the A.T. and not staying there. It's part of the whole experience. It was everything I had heard it would be and much, much more. The community bath, the squeak of the stairs, the 100 year old decor., The food was great and the beer cold. What more could a dirty, tired hiker want!!! I only have one wish, that I could have had my cute little wife on that springy, squeaky bed. We could have played some sweet music!

The diner across the street was great. I was there for breakfast and had some wonderful conversation with the local folks.

When it came time to leave town and I walked that long street toward the river, I drank in every last drop of the experience, mothers putting their kids on the school bus, people taking out the trash, going to work, the flowers in the yards. All of it.

I really hated to leave Duncannon and plan to return ASAP!

Happy hiking

ki0eh
01-18-2009, 21:44
Are the rooms going to be smoke free or just the bar?

The impression I got was that the rooms would be too. However I don't have a need to stay there due to local proximity so others may need to absolutely confirm.

El Toro '94
06-11-2009, 20:44
Is the beer still dirt cheap? Used to be $0.75/glass. Only info I can find on the website is room rates. Will be through there sometime in mid-Nov. heading for Springer.

BigFoot2002
06-11-2009, 21:14
You will be happy to find in november that your room rate now includes heat. Turn the heater on in your room before going back downstairs to enjoy whatever Pat's special of the day is. It's always something very good. Don't order the large fries if you are dining alone. The beer is reasonable. The experience is priceless.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2009, 21:23
The beer is reasonable. The experience is priceless.

the experience 25 years ago was better

Flush2wice
06-11-2009, 21:33
yep, 25 cent beers.

BigFoot2002
06-11-2009, 21:33
25 years ago they thought you were good looking

Lone Wolf
06-11-2009, 21:35
25 years ago they thought you were good looking

who's they?

Lone Wolf
06-11-2009, 21:37
yep, 25 cent beers.

maybe. bottle beer wasn't. i don't drink draft, especially that overrated yingling schwag

BigFoot2002
06-11-2009, 21:38
Now that you ask, that's a very good question.

Yahtzee
06-11-2009, 22:39
Yuengling may be overrated but it sure ain't overpriced.

Nearly Normal
06-12-2009, 00:45
30 years ago happy hour draft was a dime.

bfitz
06-12-2009, 00:59
"I remember when a dimebag used to cost a dime..."
-Willie Nelson

harryfred
06-12-2009, 02:45
My tale of the Doyle. While I've hiked on and off over the years I have only been serious into this for the last two years. I was doing my first over night on the AT, going from Mechanicsburg to Swatara Gap. My plan was to go from Darlington Shelter to Clarks ferry shelter. An over loaded pack out, of shape legs, a side trail that turned out bad, and then a badly twisted left foot. slowed me down till I realized I would not make Clarks Ferry Shelter. So I called the Ole Lady and told her to jump on her scooter and meet me in Duncannon for the night. She got us a room at the Doyle And I would not have missed that for the world Every thing you read here is true the good and the bad But I wallow in life and that place is as much life as I've ever experienced (US Navy 8 years, 50+ countries). If that was not the best Cheeseburger I've ever had it is in the top five and washed down by a couple of ABC's Jolly Scott's, draft. The shower was hot, the room was warm and dry, $38 for me and mama I believe, And the company downstairs was.... well the usual AT types. Mary made me feel like I was a local there every night. Funny thing there was a fire the night I stayed there, with sirens and all. I was so wounded and tired I woke up thought "Oh! fire and went back to sleep. The breakfast across the street was inexpensive an I could not finish it all. It was very good. I live just a little south of Duncannon and travel Route 11 a lot I will stop in on place or the other for a bite and I am planning a few 1 to 3 day hikes in the area for next year just to stop at the Doyle.

mweinstone
06-12-2009, 06:42
i like the doyal a lot.

mweinstone
06-12-2009, 06:44
oxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxox ooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxx oxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxox oxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxx oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxoo xoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxo oxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxox xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoox oxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxox oxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxox oxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxo xoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox oxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxox xooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxox oxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxx xxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxox oxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxox ooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxox xooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxox oxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxo oxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxx oxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxo

Panzer1
06-12-2009, 21:59
maybe. bottle beer wasn't. i don't drink draft, especially that overrated yingling schwag

Well, maybe it is overrated but its still pretty dam good.

Panzer

double d
06-13-2009, 07:13
Everything I've heard about the Doyle is that it truly is a great AT experience. Lone Wolf, you sound like one of those guys living in the past.

Nasty Dog Virus
06-13-2009, 07:49
The Doyle is a great place to get a hot shower, cold beer, & good food. Pat & Vicky have been the best thing for that place since they bought it (8yrs ago, i think?).

Lone Wolf
06-13-2009, 14:09
Everything I've heard about the Doyle is that it truly is a great AT experience. Lone Wolf, you sound like one of those guys living in the past.

the doyle is just a bar

CowHead
06-10-2010, 09:28
anyone know if there is public transportion from the Doyle to Harrisburg? Hiking there next week and want to to take the train back to Baltimore.
Thanks

the goat
06-10-2010, 09:32
anyone know if there is public transportion from the Doyle to Harrisburg? Hiking there next week and want to to take the train back to Baltimore.
Thanks

i've hitched to harrisburg from the doyal before; wasn't that hard.

Yahtzee
06-10-2010, 10:39
the doyle is just a bar

Just not so. Can't play down everything, LW. The Grand Canyon is not just a canyon and the Doyle is not "just a bar". And as a practical matter, it also rents out rooms. So it is, in fact, and in practice more than just a bar.

Pootz
06-10-2010, 11:13
Just not so. Can't play down everything, LW. The Grand Canyon is not just a canyon and the Doyle is not "just a bar". And as a practical matter, it also rents out rooms. So it is, in fact, and in practice more than just a bar.

The town of Duncannon and the Doyle made for one of my favorite town visits during my thru hike. In many towns you spend your so called 0 day walking from place to place all over town to get everything done in preparation for your return to the trail. In duncannon You can get all town chores done with out ever walking more than a block or 2. This is in part due to Pat and Vicky arranging for the grocery store to come right to the doyle and pick you up. And what could be better than walking right past the liquor store on the way to town. I only wish more trail towns were this convenient. I try to stop by the doyle every time I am in that area, and I cant help driving from end to end on the AT through town. I can not forget to mention that Vicky loves hikers and does everything she can to help hikers with anything they need. The Doyle is more than just a bar and duncannon is more than just another trail town.

mrc237
06-10-2010, 13:51
The town of Duncannon and the Doyle made for one of my favorite town visits during my thru hike. In many towns you spend your so called 0 day walking from place to place all over town to get everything done in preparation for your return to the trail. In duncannon You can get all town chores done with out ever walking more than a block or 2. This is in part due to Pat and Vicky arranging for the grocery store to come right to the doyle and pick you up. And what could be better than walking right past the liquor store on the way to town. I only wish more trail towns were this convenient. I try to stop by the doyle every time I am in that area, and I cant help driving from end to end on the AT through town. I can not forget to mention that Vicky loves hikers and does everything she can to help hikers with anything they need. The Doyle is more than just a bar and duncannon is more than just another trail town.

And TA Mary is there as well!

Lone Wolf
06-10-2010, 14:10

just a bar to me

hellomolly
06-10-2010, 14:46
One thruhiker this year described the Doyle as a "spectacular dump." I thought it was very fitting! The rooms are terrible, the bathroom's a mess, the food is fantastic and the people are great. Sounds about right to me, lol

Blissful
06-10-2010, 15:04
The rooms are cheap. Get what you pay for. And for a hiker, its nice.

Yahtzee
06-10-2010, 16:55
Not sure where the "dump" part comes from. Reputation, I guess. But if you can step away from all the talk, it is a beautiful building. Yes, the bathroom is merely functional, but what else do you need from a bathroom. As for the rooms, I have never stayed at the Doyle when the room hasn't been clean or the bed hasn't been made. Methinks the whole reputation thing precedes it. It is a great great building, a fine bar and hotel that gets better with each passing year. Add to that Pat and Vicki and you have got an institution.

the goat
06-10-2010, 19:25
Not sure where the "dump" part comes from. Reputation, I guess. But if you can step away from all the talk, it is a beautiful building. Yes, the bathroom is merely functional, but what else do you need from a bathroom. As for the rooms, I have never stayed at the Doyle when the room hasn't been clean or the bed hasn't been made. Methinks the whole reputation thing precedes it. It is a great great building, a fine bar and hotel that gets better with each passing year. Add to that Pat and Vicki and you have got an institution.

well said! i thought the place was great a decade ago; and look at how far it's come since then!
pat & vicki have done so much with so little, it's truly amazing.

hellomolly
06-10-2010, 21:50

The dump part probably comes from how it's generally kinda dirty and run down in the rooms. You must have had a good experience because when I stayed there, there was dirt all over the floor and the floor in the bathroom was wet and rotting. :confused:

I'm not saying this to insult the place - it was just my experience, factually. I enjoyed my time there a lot. Had a bed and a shower and some GREAT food from very nice people. And the balcony porch thing is great to hang out on. Blissful is right - you get what you pay for. It's cheap and functional. That's it.

Speer Carrier
06-10-2010, 21:59
I stayed there on May 31st of this year. I thought the bar was great, the food fantastic, the owners first rate, the company in the bar delightful, and the room I stayed in was clean, as was the bed. Granted, no air conditioning but still better than any shelter I've ever seen. I saw nothing wrong with the bathrooms. I mean the toilet worked, the shower had plenty of hot water, and there was even a scale. The laundry facility was one flight up.

What's not to like?

BigFoot2002
06-10-2010, 22:12
I've stayed at the Doyle at least a dozen times. None of the rooms I stayed in had anything new in them, but none of them were dirty. Martha Stewart types will enjoy other places more. I look forward to my next visit to this historic stop on the AT.

Pootz
06-11-2010, 11:13
Sorry for not mentioning Trail Angle Mary in my post. I have not run into her in Duncannon, but have witnessed her great work.

I think it is hard for anyone that has not thru hiked or encountered these places on long section hikes, to really appreciate places like the Doyle and trail towns in general.

This post has me thinking about jumping on the bike and heading to the Doyle.

ki0eh
07-30-2011, 20:47
Another news article about The Doyle (from the local weekly Perry County Times/News-Sun/Duncannon Record) but I did learn a couple of things from this one: http://www.pennlive.com/perry-county-times/index.ssf/2011/07/innkeepers_revel_in_doyles_fam.html

Sly
07-30-2011, 20:50
Another news article about The Doyle (from the local weekly Perry County Times/News-Sun/Duncannon Record) but I did learn a couple of things from this one: http://www.pennlive.com/perry-county-times/index.ssf/2011/07/innkeepers_revel_in_doyles_fam.html

Good article, it was about Billville as much as the Doyle. If I ever won Megabucks, I'd buy the place and renovate it to it's former glory.

weary
07-30-2011, 22:25
Good article, it was about Billville as much as the Doyle. If I ever won Megabucks, I'd buy the place and renovate it to it's former glory.
If I ever win megabucks, I'd buy the place and preserve it in its present glory.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2011, 22:30
If I ever win megabucks, I'd buy the place and preserve it in its present glory.i'd buy it, raze it and build a mini- walmart

Sly
07-30-2011, 23:07
If I ever win megabucks, I'd buy the place and preserve it in its present glory.

I dunno, something scary about the wiring.

Duff
07-30-2011, 23:25
I'm always amazed that people complain about The Doyle. It's not as though after about thirty seconds after checking in that you can't gauge the quality of the room. Or that guidebook or "trail news" didn't warn you. But The Doyle is an "experience" far past that of just a place to stay. I beleive those that only want to "be at one" with nature probably should look for trails other than the AT. The AT experience is so much more than hiking. Sure, many of my best memories are of the hike, but I don't value those memories I made in trail towns - Duncannon and The Doyle amongst them - any less. Were The Doyle to be razed (for a mini-wal-mart or an upgrade), I would miss it on my next hike through Duncannon.

Wise Old Owl
07-30-2011, 23:46
There is nothing wrong with the Doyle, good people, food is filling, and damn-it the folks are just too friendly to hiker trash! Ohhh I forgot you can get a beer!

Whiners and complainers need to take a shower and stop stinking up the place.........................

Sly
07-30-2011, 23:50
I'm always amazed that people complain about The Doyle.

How many people complained about the Doyle in this thread besides the guy that started it 7 years ago?

Panzer1
07-31-2011, 01:47
The AT experience is so much more than hiking. Sure, many of my best memories are of the hike, but I don't value those memories I made in trail towns - Duncannon and The Doyle amongst them - any less. Were The Doyle to be razed (for a mini-wal-mart or an upgrade), I would miss it on my next hike through Duncannon.

yes, I agree. Which is why you can't/shouldn't try to hike the trail for $1,500.

Panzer

Jim Adams
07-31-2011, 12:24
How much do I like the Doyle?....I don't call often but the number is in my phone contact list.:)

geek

ki0eh
07-31-2011, 22:40
Walmart won't build in the floodplain. So it's safe. :D

Panzer1
08-01-2011, 02:14
How much do I like the Doyle?....I don't call often but the number is in my phone contact list.:)

geek

+1 yea, there are in my directory too.
Plus I also have a half gallon a doyle water in my closet incase I ever attempt a thru. I'll start with that water.

Panzer

ki0eh
10-09-2012, 16:17
Fancy foodie soccer mom visits the Doyle and loves it: http://www.harrisburgmagazine.com/Food-Dining/October-2012/Having-a-Soccer-Ball-Pt-II-Duncannon/

shelb
10-10-2012, 00:20
I didn't stay here, but the food and service was AWESOME! After hearing about the evening before and spending time hanging out, I really wish I could have stayed a day or two!!!

Don H
10-10-2012, 07:37
I never spent the night there but I've had lunch there twice while hiking.
Last time I was waiting outside for them to open when a lady came out of the bank next door and gave me a ten dollar bill!

Riff42
10-22-2012, 10:26
Hey all, is The Doyle still open? I can't call and reach anyone (okok, it's only 1030am), mailbox is full, website doesn't work. Concerned I didn't check into this more than a week before we need to stay there! Has anyone had experience with the Stardust Motel north on 11/15? Incase the Doyle doesn't work out.

ki0eh
10-22-2012, 14:38
Hey all, is The Doyle still open? I can't call and reach anyone (okok, it's only 1030am)

There seems to be a time zone discrepancy in part of Duncannon, in that block "hiker midnight" does not translate to the same atomic Eastern Time as in the woods. ;)

Try calling back after noon and telling them the website doesn't work.

the goat
10-22-2012, 15:15
Hey all, is The Doyle still open? I can't call and reach anyone (okok, it's only 1030am), mailbox is full, website doesn't work. Concerned I didn't check into this more than a week before we need to stay there! Has anyone had experience with the Stardust Motel north on 11/15? Incase the Doyle doesn't work out.
pretty sure they open at 11am.

Riff42
10-23-2012, 09:45
Yeah, I got a hold of them. Forgot to mention the website. Still, glad to have a place to finally relax! Hope the bar is open when we get there ;)

ki0eh
01-30-2015, 11:33
Their presence on Facebook just woke up. I wonder if Vickey and Pat hired a social media manager. (Salary: one free beer per week??)

Studlintsean
01-30-2015, 12:06
I ate there a few weeks ago. Very friendly service and food was good. They don;t mess around with the fries. Looking forward to my next section hike starting in Duncannon so i can enjoy some of the local beers (I was sober for January).

double d
01-30-2015, 12:17
The Doyle is a great place, only because my last name is Doyle! Hope to visit this location one day, I've been all over hiking the AT, but never near this location in Pa.