PDA

View Full Version : Grants and Sponsorships

UCONNMike
12-10-2004, 14:50
I've heard of Thru-Hikers getting grants (ie money) from company's that sell hiking gear, ie EMS, Power Bar, etc.
Have you heard of this, and if so, how can you recieve a grant/sponcorship form these companies

grrickar
12-10-2004, 16:24
I have no answer to your original question, but one way I have thought about was to approach my company and ask that they sponsor me (pay me some or all of my salary) for my thru-hike, and in return to my company and my community I would take pledge donations for a charity.

I thought about making it something akin to a walk-a-thon (only a hike-a-thon) where people pledge some amount of money per mile, or they could just make a donation of some sums of money.

Since money raising events like this are good for the community, and since the company would be involved it would likely get some press in the local newspaper, which in turn would reflect in a positive manner on my company.

In that case, everyone wins: the charity gets money, I get my thru hike, the company is recognized for sponsoring an employee for such an effort. Since my sister passed away from cancer in 2000, I thought about making that my cause. Might not be a bad idea for others wanting to pursue a thru hike.

The Will
12-10-2004, 18:05
I received sponsorship for a canoeing and cycling trip I made through western Canada.

Bear in mind that sponsorship is not an attempt at benevolence; these companies need to see some advantage in it for themselves. It is obvious how a gear manufacturer can benefit your endeavor, how can you help them?

Even before I explained the scope of my trip I would acknowledge to the rep. I was speaking to that they must get 50-100 calls of this type (seeking sponsorship) a month, and if they would just allow me a moment I would try and distinguish myself from the rest of those requests. Then I may explain the details of the proposed trip but quickly follow it up with what I could do for them (slide presentations, photos for their catalog, an article for their catalog, etc.).

At this time (2000), REI had a grant program and they had a form you could download from their webpage to apply for grants. I used this format for all of my written grant submissions (but always making personal contact first—over the phone mostly), altering each slightly as appropriate for the company I made my submission to.

I applied to national companies as well as to small local business. Sometimes my request was fulfilled outright, but often I was just allowed to purchase things at a significant discount—still a big help!

If there is some particular facet of the process you are interested in, I’ll do my best to answer.

Spirit Walker
12-13-2004, 12:55
You're not likely to get this kind of sponsorship on the AT - there are too many out there doing it. To get that kind of publicity, your hike needs to be unique - walking around the world, for example, and even then it is not easy to get corporate sponsorship. See http://www.earthtrekuk.net/ for example. Sometimes local businesses will sponsor hikers for the publicity, but that is usually only in small towns. I knew a kid who wrote weekly columns for his town newspaper and the outdoor store gave him half off on his gear. But that was several years ago, when thruhiking the AT was more rare than it is now. As has been said in another thread, using charity to raise money to pay for your hike is pretty sleezy.

Instead of looking for ways to get someone else to pay for your hike, why not do what the rest of us do? Get a job, save your money and go do it when you can afford to do it right.

grrickar
12-13-2004, 16:10
As has been said in another thread, using charity to raise money to pay for your hike is pretty sleezy.
I hope that was not directed at my post; but if so I think you missed my point.

bearbait2k4
12-13-2004, 16:15
I don't understand what is sleazy about using anything to pay for your hike if the parties involved know what you are doing. After all, it's their choice, and their money.

That being said, all I can say is good luck with the grant search. The advertised grants usually have thousands of responses, with maybe 4-5 people that are selected. Criteria involved usually involves itemized gear and expense lists, essays, and other feedback. The best you can do to get grants like this would be to have great persuasion skills, and to just start contacting the respective companies.

Honestly, though, it's not really that hard to save for a hike. Work a lot and save.

MOWGLI
12-13-2004, 16:43
I've heard of Thru-Hikers getting grants (ie money) from company's that sell hiking gear, ie EMS, Power Bar, etc.
Have you heard of this, and if so, how can you recieve a grant/sponcorship form these companies

AT thru-hikers are a dime a dozen. If you don't already have a unique angle to offer, and a good communication style to make that come across, I would concentrate on finding a P/T job to pay for your hike.

dharmabum86
12-13-2004, 17:00
I have saved the money for a thru-hike and plan on doing so in 2006. I also plan on raising money at the same time. I have no problem with using my goal of hiking the trail to also raise money for a cause. I would pay for my entire trip, but people would pledge money to the cause. As previouly mentioned, just like a walk-a-thon. There is absolutely no problem with that. Use all the resources you have available to you. It's like saying save your money and go to college when you have enough to pay for it? I'm sure this will get a whopping response...LOL!?!?!?

Mags
12-13-2004, 17:21
I It's like saying save your money and go to college when you have enough to pay for it? I'm sure this will get a whopping response...LOL!?!?!?

It is what I did for the thru-hike and college. Worked my way through school. Saved up money for a thru-hike.

dharmabum86
12-13-2004, 18:02
Well, does it make you less of an outdoorsman or less of a student if you take advantage of your resources. No, it's just that you chose to take a different route. I, again, have saved all the money I need for a thru-hike. However, because of my situation in school I not only took advantage of scholarship opportunities but also grants and ONE government loan. I am no less the student, now degree holder, for doing so. I don't feel that his experience on the AT would be cheapened. Just so long as all parties involved are aware. Great for you for working hard to save money. I worked hard to earn scholarships and grants. I think I may have opened a can of worms here.

MOWGLI
12-13-2004, 18:23
I ask these questions of no one in particular.

What are you offering in exchange for sponsorship money? What value are you creating for a business entity through your hike? What are your motives for seeking sponsorship? To get something for nothing? I assure you that anyone who sponsors a hiker will want something in exchange for their cash or gear donation - with the very rare exception.

Personally, I would admire the hiker who pays for their own hike while raising money for a worthy cause.

Just my .02

chknfngrs
12-13-2004, 18:37
The easiest way to get gear is to either save up and earn it, or work for each manufacturer. Fat chance of otherwise gaining sponsorship out of them.