PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving weather in Ct.

mountainman
10-28-2010, 18:06
What is the normal weather like in CONN at Thanksgiving? I'm planning to hike from Bear Mt, NY to Falls Villiage, Ct. I'm sure it will be colder than what I'm used to where in NC.

Mountain Wildman
10-28-2010, 18:37
It should not be too cold, Connecticut does not get really cold until late December through February, You may need a jacket but unless it is a record cold year, you shouldn't need a heavy winter coat. A light jacket or fleece during the day and maybe another layer at night.

Ironbelly
10-28-2010, 20:21
Typically that time of year are highs in the 40s and lows at night in the 20s. Snow is not unheard of that time of year, especially at the higher elevations. I would be prepared for below freezing temps at least. About 5 or 6 years ago I think it was I got a foot of snow dumped on me on Thanksgiving Day near Kent. According to the NWS the record low for that time of year is around 5 degrees.

So I wouldn't go crazy, but would certainly be prepared for some cold weather, especially night time lows.

Driver8
10-28-2010, 20:25
Yeah, you have to be ready for snow and cold. It seems to like to snow pretty often here on Thanksgiving, and it's more wintry and colder in NW Connecticut (AT-land) than in the central CT River valley, where I live. Just an idea, but I really like the idea, if you can, of stretching the hike a bit and making it a Bear (NY) to Bear (CT) hike. Would add about 15 miles - you'd have to descend from CT's Bear via the Undermountain Trail, just south of Bear's summit. The downside is that if weather is cold and snowy in NW at that point, it will be especially so on the Bear. But great views!

copythat
10-29-2010, 00:20
FYI: Thanksgiving Day in 2009 the max temp was mid-50s and the min was mid-30s in that area, while the average max for the day was listed at 46 and the average min was 27. Some years are downright balmy. T-shirt weather. Some years are chilly.

Driver8
10-29-2010, 03:59
FYI: Thanksgiving Day in 2009 the max temp was mid-50s and the min was mid-30s in that area, while the average max for the day was listed at 46 and the average min was 27. Some years are downright balmy. T-shirt weather. Some years are chilly.

Totally true, but if ond is going to hike for a week or so up here that time of year, one should be ready for winter weather for part of that time. Anything from a high of 60 to a low of 15 F is reasonably likely.

mountainman
10-29-2010, 21:00
Thanks everyone. It's pretty must what I expected. I'll take my winter clothes, and have possible bale out points. When I was younger I took winter as a challenge. Now I have to be a little more careful.

Driver8
10-29-2010, 22:05
Thanks everyone. It's pretty must what I expected. I'll take my winter clothes, and have possible bale out points. When I was younger I took winter as a challenge. Now I have to be a little more careful.

Hi Mountainman:

One blog you might like is Richard Wanderman's. He and a few friends of his hike the NW Connecticut/SW MA and neighboring New York area a lot. He blogs on their hikes often and posts lots of good photos. I met him and his posse in July on a Bear Mtn CT hike and correspond with him now and then. Very smart and helpful: www.richardsnotes.org (http://www.richardsnotes.org). He also has a lot of good stuff on photography and whatever else is on his mind.

KMACK
10-30-2010, 14:32
I live 10 minutes from the AT just south of Kent. Todays high 55, low 27 and windy.