PDA

View Full Version : your Thoughts please

Megapixel
10-28-2010, 20:11
So, if your employer gave you a slightly different deal when you asked for a 6 month leave of absence, would you accept? What are some of the minor differences between the hikes I might not be thinking about...

The offer? As many 1 month vacations as it would take you, 1 per year, to finish the hike. 2 weeks of it paid. Probably even more behind that, to do other hikes perhaps? JMT, PCT, etc.

The job is good, and there's more room for advancement... and the big cons i see right away are that 1 month is trail legs and trail mindset JUST starting to kick in... 6-8 minor adventures as opposed to the granddaddy of them all... trying to figure out transportation and car placement for each segment hike....

pros: maybe selecting good weather good season for specific sections. obviously keeping a management job that pays pretty well in a bad economy (although i feel i can get hired fairly easy in the same field, probably working my way back up to where i am now a bit, also a pay cut to start, but hey, no debt here) can't really think of any more... can u tell i really want to thru?

bigcranky
10-28-2010, 20:19
I would take that offer in a NY minute. In theory I get enough PTO to do exactly that, but it's virtually impossible to get a full month.

10-K
10-28-2010, 20:23
It's a sweet deal, I'd jump on it too.

Skidsteer
10-28-2010, 20:28
Take it.

Megapixel
10-28-2010, 20:32
First three responses... all the same. Interesting. I am curious, are all three of you section hikers yourself? I am assuming so only through profiles. Believe me, i hear that voice inside me saying are you kidding this is a damn generous offer. But the other side says that the dream, running on 15 years now, has been a thru, not a section.

Moose2001
10-28-2010, 20:35
I say ditch the job and go hike. If that's what you really want to do...do it. If you're single and have no commitments, better now than any other time.

Plus.....I believe the saddest words ever spoken are....."I wish I had....."

Sierra Echo
10-28-2010, 20:38
I say ditch the job and go hike. If that's what you really want to do...do it. If you're single and have no commitments, better now than any other time.

Plus.....I believe the saddest words ever spoken are....."I wish I had....."

Yeah but what if he ditches the job and then finds out he can't hack it?
Then he has no job!

Megapixel
10-28-2010, 20:41
Yeah but what if he ditches the job and then finds out he can't hack it?
Then he has no job!

Honestly, not hacking it is not an option. Injury certainly is a minor possibility though.

I guess i'm asking a question only i can answer here, to be sure. It just helps sometimes to hear others thoughts and experiences on hiking. I still would love to hear pros and cons that i might not be thinking of here as well.

couscous
10-28-2010, 20:48
What an offer. I'd love to spend every September on the trail.

Limo
10-28-2010, 20:57
I'd take the offer, but I also have no intention of ever doing a thru hike. And a month is about all I'm ever interested in doing. You said it yourself. Only you can really answer this question. Your dreams are your dreams.

I will say, however, that I don't see lots of people in their mid 30s doing thrus. There are some, of course. But I seem to run into mostly the 20-something crowd, just out of school with no attachments. The other big age group seems to be the 50-somethings plus, who have more time, more money, and less family responsibilities to tend to.

Think about your priorities, options, timing, all that stuff. The right answer will come to you. Good luck!

Walkintom
10-28-2010, 21:07
Depends on what you want out of your hike and your job.

Your employer must feel that they cannot let you leave for a full 6 month period to make the counteroffer.

If you're ok with section hiking and you enjoy your job then it's a fantastic offer.

Skidsteer
10-28-2010, 21:10
Honestly, not hacking it is not an option.

Sure it is. Have you ever hiked for a month? You may not like it, or it may be just the right amount, or you may be dying to do more. Who knows?

If you get out there for a month and are digging it, you can quit the job and go for it; If not, you can go back to work and resume your hike in a year.

What a deal!

Megapixel
10-28-2010, 21:14
Sure it is. Have you ever hiked for a month? You may not like it, or it may be just the right amount, or you may be dying to do more. Who knows?

If you get out there for a month and are digging it, you can quit the job and go for it; If not, you can go back to work and resume your hike in a year.

What a deal!

False on both accounts, but just my two cents. If i commit, i commit. No i've never hiked for a month. But if i go, it's gonna take an injury to stop me. Call it what you will. Second, I couldn't do that. I'm a man of my word. If i say i'm taking the month, then i take the month period. I couldn't do that to my employer.

Skidsteer
10-28-2010, 21:31
False on both accounts, but just my two cents. If i commit, i commit. No i've never hiked for a month. But if i go, it's gonna take an injury to stop me. Call it what you will. Second, I couldn't do that. I'm a man of my word. If i say i'm taking the month, then i take the month period. I couldn't do that to my employer.

Personally I don't see the difference in giving two weeks notice tomorrow or two weeks notice coming back from a month off but suit yourself. :sun

jesse
10-28-2010, 21:32
Section hiking rules.

Megapixel
10-28-2010, 21:34
Personally I don't see the difference in giving two weeks notice tomorrow or two weeks notice coming back from a month off but suit yourself. :sun
If it was just a job, then I would agree. But this boss has been a great friend and person to me, and it will take longer than 2 weeks to train someone into my position. You do bring up an interesting though though... i could do the month this year to test the waters and if it seems like it left me totally unsatisified i can always go in '12. thanks for your thoughts. something to consider.

Alligator
10-28-2010, 22:04
If I hit the lottery I'd still take the 25 payments if that was the only option. You would be passing up quite a deal.

LIhikers
10-28-2010, 22:57
Here's my story, maybe it'll help you decide.
I was unemployed for 8 months and had decided to do a long hike (other than the AT) starting the end of June, right after my neice's high school graduation. A week before her graduation I got offered a pretty good job and decided to take it. It turns out the job is OK, but not as good as it sounded, and I'm disappointed that I didn't take that hike from NY to Ohio.

LIhikers
10-28-2010, 22:59
Section hiking rules.

The rules for section hiking are the same as for any other hike...Hike Your Own Hike :D

Iceaxe
10-28-2010, 23:33
My 2 cents.
I gave up a $30 per hour job as a plumber here in California. I thru hiked the PCT, came back, and was lucky enough to get the job back. I saved up enough money and immediately went back out and thru hiked the CDT. When I returned this time my job was gone. To save money for my upcomming Thru hike of the AT in 2011 I am now doing hard labor for 9 bucks an hour. I am 41 years old. Everyday I smile because it is one day closer to being back out on the long trail.. the AT.
The lesson in my case: Yea I could have gone to school.. Yea I could have stayed at my high paying Plumbing job. Maybe i could have begged for my old job back. Somehow these big trails have changed my perceptions of what is really important to me.
The one thing I know now is that all those insecurities I had before now pale in comparison to the amazing gift of the experiences of a Long Distance hiking.
I know I am rambling on here about stuff that is in my own head. I just wanted to put it out there that it was a diffcult descision for me as well but one that only proved it's worth after it was made.
I am going to admit something here. In the beginning of my PCT hike I succumbed to the "section hiker/thru hiker bias" There is a little chiding that goes on and appears to happen on the AT as well judging by the above comments. All I can say now is: "Who am I to judge?"
Somewhere near the end of the PCT I realized what an amazing gift it is to be able to hike at all. I don't know how many years I have left to do this, but I do know how many years I waited to take the plunge.
Hiker Trash.
No Regrets.
-Iceaxe PCT'09 CDT'10

Jester2000
10-28-2010, 23:53
My 2 cents.
I gave up a $30 per hour job as a plumber here in California. I thru hiked the PCT, came back, and was lucky enough to get the job back. I saved up enough money and immediately went back out and thru hiked the CDT. When I returned this time my job was gone. To save money for my upcomming Thru hike of the AT in 2011 I am now doing hard labor for 9 bucks an hour. I am 41 years old. Everyday I smile because it is one day closer to being back out on the long trail.. the AT.
The lesson in my case: Yea I could have gone to school.. Yea I could have stayed at my high paying Plumbing job. Maybe i could have begged for my old job back. Somehow these big trails have changed my perceptions of what is really important to me.
The one thing I know now is that all those insecurities I had before now pale in comparison to the amazing gift of the experiences of a Long Distance hiking.
I know I am rambling on here about stuff that is in my own head. I just wanted to put it out there that it was a diffcult descision for me as well but one that only proved it's worth after it was made.
I am going to admit something here. In the beginning of my PCT hike I succumbed to the "section hiker/thru hiker bias" There is a little chiding that goes on and appears to happen on the AT as well judging by the above comments. All I can say now is: "Who am I to judge?"
Somewhere near the end of the PCT I realized what an amazing gift it is to be able to hike at all. I don't know how many years I have left to do this, but I do know how many years I waited to take the plunge.
Hiker Trash.
No Regrets.
-Iceaxe PCT'09 CDT'10

Listen to this man.

stranger
10-29-2010, 01:07
Do you trust your employer? What if they go outta business? What if you get a new boss? What if the company is sold?

Most employers are bastards, not all...but most. Even if you have a good employer, there are so many variables like the ones listed above.

Don't compromise, you could die in 6 months...live now.

Dogwood
10-29-2010, 01:13
IceAxe, you get it! Some of your recent posts are bringing tears to my eyes - LIVING LIKE YOU ARE TRULY ALIVE, PASSIONATE, ENTHUSIASTIC, ENLIGHTENED, SELF AWARE, LIVING THE DREAM, KNOWING YOU HAVE FOUND THE PLACE WHERE YOU BELONG DOING THE THINGS THAT YOU WERE MEANT TO DO, PURSUING THE CALLING OF YOUR HEART, AT PEACE WITH YOURSELF, APPRECIATIVE, HUMBLE, NO REGRETS, JOYFUL, ETC Being fresh off your CDT thru-hike you are still in the zone! Stay there! I'm being blessed with your enjoyable comments/higher energy! Keep preaching IT brother!

Isn't it an amazing feeling TRULY LIVING in the exact place in the exact time where you were meant to - AND KNOWING IT? You restfully go to sleep and refreshingly enthusiastically awake with that inner knowing that changes your attitude and perspective. It drives you, energizes you, and makes the world a brighter place, not only for yourself but for ALL the world. It sure beats simply existing or going through the motions attempting to blend in while pursuing the status quo or living unknowingly according to someone else agenda.

Johnny Thunder
10-29-2010, 01:34
So, if your employer gave you a slightly different deal when you asked for a 6 month leave of absence, would you accept? What are some of the minor differences between the hikes I might not be thinking about...

The offer? As many 1 month vacations as it would take you, 1 per year, to finish the hike. 2 weeks of it paid. Probably even more behind that, to do other hikes perhaps? JMT, PCT, etc.

The job is good, and there's more room for advancement... and the big cons i see right away are that 1 month is trail legs and trail mindset JUST starting to kick in... 6-8 minor adventures as opposed to the granddaddy of them all... trying to figure out transportation and car placement for each segment hike....

pros: maybe selecting good weather good season for specific sections. obviously keeping a management job that pays pretty well in a bad economy (although i feel i can get hired fairly easy in the same field, probably working my way back up to where i am now a bit, also a pay cut to start, but hey, no debt here) can't really think of any more... can u tell i really want to thru?

This is a tough one. In understand what you're going through since this same offer was given to me when i quit to hike in 2008.

I had been working as an IT recruiter for 4 years and had grown into the defacto day-to-day manager since my boss was very happy to be a little more "free" with his time. This suited both of us. Obviously, he did not want to lose me. But still I decided that my life was headed elsewhere.

While I was hiking the housing market collapsed which...whatever...you know. So I knew while I was hiking that coming back to "real life" was going to be difficult. But, since I no longer had a definitive "career" or "job" to come back to I was allowed to think more openly about what would make me happy for the rest of my life. In the end I was offered a consulting job before I left the mid-atlantic that would allow me to finish hiking on my (then) current pace and only require 5 days of work a month.

I've spent the past 2 years hiking and traveling based out of Asheville and just moved to South Korea to teach English to elementary school children.

I would say emphatically that my life is better for having taken the 6 months to through hike regardless of the imminent consequences. But I recognize that I'm one of those people who will never be without prospects or possibilities.

But just as easily as my life-goal-shift came it is important to realize that it might not have. I might have returned home broke and tired with no options. That could happen.

4eyedbuzzard
10-29-2010, 02:13
No i've never hiked for a month. But if i go, it's gonna take an injury to stop me. Call it what you will. Second, I couldn't do that. I'm a man of my word. If i say i'm taking the month, then i take the month period. I couldn't do that to my employer.
Be as honest with yourself as you are with your employer. Thru-hiking is a romantic notion/idea. It's very easy to get caught up in the dream and desire to do it. But it is just as easy, if not easier, to find out the reality of thru-hiking it is not as pleasurable as the idea of thru-hiking.

You're 30 something and have a good job with a month off every year to hike - in one of the worst employment situations ever to face people this country. So unless hiking is everything in your life, think long and hard on it, beacuse for most people hiking isn't everything. There are spouses, SO's, children, education, housing, cars, food, etc. And most of those desires require a good income.

Hike your own hike, live your own life. No one can make this choice (and it is a very serious one) except you.

Torch09
10-29-2010, 02:15
When I got off the trail last December, I couldn't find a job and was forced to move back in with my parents. As much fun as I had hiking for 6 months, my first reaction would be to advise you to keep the job and take the deal. But considering I am young and have very minimal job experience and only a high school education, its natural that I would have a tougher time finding a job. If you are sure that YOU can find another job, then I'd say definately go for it! Take all the time you need.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2010, 06:26
Take the first one-month period and hike the entire time. Then you will know if you want to actually do a thru-hike.

The majority of people who think they want to thru-hike change their minds after they start, even people who have hiked before and who committed to doing the thru.

I think after a one-month hike you will have made up your mind about what you want to do in the future about your job and hiking.

bigcranky
10-29-2010, 07:25
First three responses... all the same. Interesting. I am curious, are all three of you section hikers yourself?

Yes, and note that we are all in our late 40s. I don't want to speak for the other two, but I am not in a position to take off six months and do a thru-hike -- mortgage, kid in college, etc. It would be tough even with a guaranteed job on my return (and that's hardly guaranteed these days.) So even though I, too, have been dreaming of a thru for 15+ years, it's just going to have to wait.

But a month every year to hike? Yeah, that would be great. Especially if I got to pick a different month every year.

Marta
10-29-2010, 07:33
Like Dogwood says...try the one-month plan. If, a couple of years from now, the thru-hiking flame still burns, you can quit your job then. Maybe your job situation will have changed, too, and make the decision for you.

Heck, if you discover, at the end of a month, that you can't bear to leave the Trail, you can quit your job then.

75-80% of people, i.e. MOST PEOPLE, who start the Trail discover they don't want to hike for five or six months. Being able to try a month-long hike is a great gift, with no downside.

peakbagger
10-29-2010, 07:40
I sectioned the AT in mostly my forties but I didnt have the luxury of one month stretches although I did have one five week stretch. I could have kept going after five weeks, but decided that five weeks was about all I wanted to do in one stretch, so the rest of the trail was one week sections twice a year. The one thing I found that really helped was to arrange to slackpack at least a day at the begining of the trip before putting the backpack on. I had a friend that was hiking with me and we had car support so it was easy for us but most of the hostels along the route offer slack pack options.

I have met folks who have doen the AT and PCT in one month stretches and they really like to option to pick the best weather. I would love to section the PCT but considering the long shuttles it sure looks like that would be better done in longer sections than I currently could swing.

Toolshed
10-29-2010, 07:58
Offer sounds great on paper, but will you be there in the future - I mean will you like the job long enough to stay and let it payout as countered?
Will the employer be there in the future?
What if there is a buyout or merger or if new HR Head or a new boss takes over will they honor the committment?
Lot of things to think about. Finally, what does your boss know about the future that you do not.... Could be compelling....

StorminMormon
10-29-2010, 08:02
Take it. If one year, or two years down the road you don't think it's working out the way you thought. Say, there just doesn't seem to be the advancement opportunities you thought, or you're just not enjoying the shorter hikes like you thought...you can always renegotiate, or quit. Sounds to me like you basically hold all the cards.

Ender
10-29-2010, 08:53
As a past thru-hiker, I say 100% take the offer. It's the best of both worlds, a truly great compromise. Frankly, I've considered doing something similar for the next time I want to hike the AT.

gravityman
10-29-2010, 11:30
Realize that at you're life could change at any moment (meet someone, kids, mortgage, whatever) so don't assume you can do it next year if you decide to.

That said, here's my take.

It seems like 3-4 months is the optimal amount of time out on a long trail for me. After that it becomes less fun and more like a job. In 2001 we got off at that point. In 2005 we made it the whole way, but decided the first 4 months were fun, that last 2 were a lot harder.

If you have an open dialog with your boss, you can try to ask for 3 months for the next 2 years and see where that takes you. I would say that would be better than a thru, as you can pick the weather (down south thru spring, up north thru fall and you can skip the hot months in the middle).

If you can't suggest that, then I would really examine what you want. We really wanted to hike from GA to ME in one go. Having done it, I don't want to do it again in one go (but we do want to do the PCT and CDT in a few month-long sections) We have kids now, so we won't be going for more than a few nights anywhere... Life changes...

Also, what is your options for vacation time outside of this time? Is he adding 2 weeks to your total vacation time? It could be really tough if you have to work the rest of the year with no vacation...

Gravity

sbhikes
10-29-2010, 11:39
I would take the offer. Disclosure: I did two 3 month section hikes of the PCT.

Reason I would take the offer: I would get 1 month off, guilt-free every year. I could enjoy that entire month all at once doing an epic hike of my choosing. If for some reason the company reneged on the offer or I lost my job or whatever, I would still be able to do a thru-hike.

In fact, I think I would keep a plan in the back of my head to continue saving and planning for that thru-hike because once you've asked for the leave of absense, they kind of know you're less loyal than the other employees so it's very possible you will get laid off the first chance they get.

So take the offer and see it as simply a temporary post-ponement of your thru-hike with the ability to take some epic hikes in the mean time.

sbhikes
10-29-2010, 12:14
P.S. I felt that 3 months was plenty long enough for me. It does get to feeling like a job after a while. If I could do a 3 month hike every year I would be in heaven.

Moose2001
10-29-2010, 12:23
Lots of good advice in all these posts. I think what it all comes down to is.......what's important to you?

If the job is important and it gives you the personal satisfaction you need and want...take the offer. If the hike is the most important thing to you, take the hike. I often tell other hikers that to do a thru, it has to be the most important thing in your life for the 4-6 month period you're on the trail. If that's not true, then stay in the job. If it is true, do it now so you don't regret it the rest of your life.

Toolshed
10-29-2010, 12:47
P.S. I felt that 3 months was plenty long enough for me. It does get to feeling like a job after a while. If I could do a 3 month hike every year I would be in heaven.
Huh....? all you have is a bird to take care of ...What's stopping you?:sun

gravityman
10-29-2010, 13:46
...once you've asked for the leave of absense, they kind of know you're less loyal than the other employees so it's very possible you will get laid off the first chance they get...

I'll disagree with this. It depends entirely on your company/culture/boss. My company said "Have a great hike, see you when you get back." They actually were laying people off when I came back, but they took me on, found me work, and continued to promote me. I don't feel like I have totally unique skills, but I am highly skilled (Ph.D. in industry doing optical design in aerospace).

Gravity

clured
10-29-2010, 14:11
4-5 one-month hikes over the course of 4-5 years is in no way comparable to a real thru-hike. Quit, hike.

yari
10-29-2010, 18:03
But I recognize that I'm one of those people who will never be without prospects or possibilities.

I believe that everyone is one of those people. I know that sounds very optimistic/politically correct but, it isn't lack of prospects or possibilities that holds people back, it is the lack of courage to explore them.

10-K
10-29-2010, 18:17
Just a few observations.... First, it's a common human trait to think people who think like we do "get it". A common viewpoint does not mean anything more than you and someone agree on something.

Secondly, the way I read your post is that you don't leave much room in the middle. Either someone is a slave to the man or they're out chasing their dreams.

I'd propose there's a middle ground. I've hiked 1200+ miles this year only taking more than a month off 1 time, made plenty of money at a job I like, am a husband with 3 teenagers of my own and in the last month became a foster parent too. All of these things enrich my life and keep it in balance.

Follow your dreams - and if your dream consists of section hiking, raising a family, working and accumulating some "stuff' that's just as real a dream as anyone elses.

IceAxe, you get it! Some of your recent posts are bringing tears to my eyes - LIVING LIKE YOU ARE TRULY ALIVE, PASSIONATE, ENTHUSIASTIC, ENLIGHTENED, SELF AWARE, LIVING THE DREAM, KNOWING YOU HAVE FOUND THE PLACE WHERE YOU BELONG DOING THE THINGS THAT YOU WERE MEANT TO DO, PURSUING THE CALLING OF YOUR HEART, AT PEACE WITH YOURSELF, APPRECIATIVE, HUMBLE, NO REGRETS, JOYFUL, ETC Being fresh off your CDT thru-hike you are still in the zone! Stay there! I'm being blessed with your enjoyable comments/higher energy! Keep preaching IT brother!

Isn't it an amazing feeling TRULY LIVING in the exact place in the exact time where you were meant to - AND KNOWING IT? You restfully go to sleep and refreshingly enthusiastically awake with that inner knowing that changes your attitude and perspective. It drives you, energizes you, and makes the world a brighter place, not only for yourself but for ALL the world. It sure beats simply existing or going through the motions attempting to blend in while pursuing the status quo or living unknowingly according to someone else agenda.

Megapixel
10-29-2010, 20:09
I've taken all this in, and it has helped me sort some things out, but I still will wait a bit on the decision, as I mull it over throughly.

To try and condense my thoughts and answer a few questions posed...
The job is a lock, short of the world collapsing, and then jobs are the least of anyone's concerns. The boss is totally trustworthy, one of those rare bosses who can actually be trusted and who is generous. I do find satisfaction in a good days work, and I enjoy my work. But the dream of a thru hike is something I go to bed thinking about, wake thinking about, and dream about at all hours of the day. It's been that way since I first sat foot on the trail 15 years ago. I have had chances to go in 09, and 10 both fall by the wayside, one by necessity, one by choice. It's one of those things that if i were to take the month, and wanted to go for it all, waiting until the next year yet again would be rather difficult. Also, again, just putting in notice and leaving then is not an option.
There are no children left at home, in fact all are in the military or married as of early next year. No debt either, except a car insurance payment to keep up. We're not attached to money or material things. That has never been a dream, only a distraction.
Another thing I've failed to mention is my wife is going with me, also working, also with the same offer (same employer). She supports whatever decision is made by me. I know she would be fine with either option.
I really feel from what I've read from all of you fine folks that it is indeed an entirely different experience, a thru vs. a section. I appreciate all of your thoughts to this point.

Dogwood
10-30-2010, 00:53
Less, sounds like you are a sensible, responsible, intelligent, loyal, committed person with a good measure of integrity. You wisely understand only you can ultimately decide what's right for your situation.

If it was your dream/passion to complete the AT by either thru-hiking it OR section hiking it the decision is easier, IMO. Keep the job and section hike as has been advised by others. Strongly consider your employer's offer has several benefits, not the least of is that if you get to choose when you will be taking those 30 day increments so you you can pick when and where you will hike various sections of the AT.

Worth STRONGLY considering - sounds like you DO NOT have a dead end jobby job that you despise. Sounds like you are not new at your current job. Sounds like you are comfortable and happy with your job and employer. Sounds like you feel you have a great job and great employer/employee relationship. Actually, you said your employer is a great friend and great person, not just a friend or person, but a great friend and great person. Sounds like your employer values you and your contributions enough that they are willing to work with you so you can hike. Not everyone is in such an enviable position!

Now, understand that you are not only making decisions concerning yourself but also concerning your wife's fate.

I think it changes the situation some that you initially failed to mention you are married, your wife is employed by the same employer as you, she will also have to quit her job at the same time as you, and your contention is that she will thru-hike with you. IMO, those are some serious additions you failed to mention that changes the situation a bit. For example, IMO, with two people hiking together it raises the risk that one or both of you may have to quit the hike. I am not saying everything will not work out exactly as intended though.

Consider also that you have never hiked continuously for 1 month and you are thinking about hiking for 4 -5 months. Consider it's not just you making that leap, your wife is along for the ride with you now. The two of you will have to be on the same page in so many ways, ways in which you may not yet be aware of! I don't always witness that with every couple! Relationships can get strained on a thru-hike. Consider that you will be with one person, your wife, for that entire time attempting to adapt to and meet the challenges of trail life for 4-5 months. I've witnessed some married couples handle this situation very well together. They take it in stride. I've also witnessed some couples be at each other's throats being together in that situation 24/7.

I wish you well coming to your decision!

emerald
10-30-2010, 01:07
4-5 one-month hikes over the course of 4-5 years is in no way comparable to a real thru-hike. Quit, hike.

I'm posting primarily to disagree with clured, but your retirement savings more likely than not will thank you.

Hike Pennsylvania off-season, because, if for no other reason, its residents won't need to be listening to your complaining about heat, humidity, rocks and less drinking water than you might prefer.

Section-hiking with a vehicle at your disposal to explore what's near the A.T. is a much more rewarding experience.

Slack-jawed Trog
10-30-2010, 07:42
You say it's a good job. It's still just a job. Follow your dream.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” --Mark Twain

clured
10-30-2010, 10:12
Section-hiking with a vehicle at your disposal to explore what's near the A.T. is a much more rewarding experience.

Eh, really? To each his/her own I suppose. "Section hiking with a vehicle at my disposal" sounds like the death of everything I value about the trail...

Mags
10-30-2010, 11:11
Eh, really? To each his/her own I suppose. "Section hiking with a vehicle at my disposal" sounds like the death of everything I value about the trail...

Exactly.

It is something YOU don't like.

Just because you like chocolate ice cream, that doesn't imply vanilla ice cream sucks. :)

HYOH. Be it for one month or five. :sun

garlic08
10-30-2010, 11:30
Nobody else on this forum has your job, your family, your set of values, your financial goals, your past, or your future. We've all made our own decisions based on these and many more inputs. This is your decision.

Slo-go'en
10-30-2010, 11:32
Everyone who starts a thru hike thinks they will go all the way, but only 2 out of 10 actually make it. So, its not a good idea to burn any bridges on the way to the trail head in case you need to go home, possibly sooner rather then later.

Personally, I find about 2 months the ideal length of time for a hike. That's long enough to feel like a real hiker, but not so long as to wear out the body. Plus you can pick the ideal time to do a give section of the trail.

So, if you could talk your boss into letting you take off for two months, you could do the whole trail in 3 years, with alot less stress all around.

Scooby99
10-30-2010, 11:32
How close are you to retirement? The deal seems quite nice, being able to take a full month off would be something I would kill for. I would not use the month to section hike the AT, maybe do some of the nicer sections for sure, New England, Shenandoahs, etc, and use the other years for other trails: JMT, Colorado Trail, Long Trail, many trails on Europe can be done in 1 month, go hiking in New Zealand and Australia, Argentina, etc, do some more exotic trips when you have a nice job and extra salary, the then when you retire, head out and start thru-hiking the trails in the US that can be done much cheaper with regards to travel, etc.

bus
10-30-2010, 12:16
Take the offer, start in March and when the month is up, decide if ya want to quit the job and keep going or come home and hike the next chunk of hills the next year.

emerald
10-30-2010, 14:11
"Section hiking with a vehicle at my disposal" sounds like the death of everything I value about the trail...

Care to elaborate about those things you value? I'd like to see what you have to say rather than speculate about your beliefs and others may too.

What in your view is the difference between a through hike and a series of section hikes over the same terrain?

Megapixel
10-30-2010, 17:17
Nobody else on this forum has your job, your family, your set of values, your financial goals, your past, or your future. We've all made our own decisions based on these and many more inputs. This is your decision.

True. I was really looking for pros and cons to a one month and a thru hike in general that I might not be weighing... my decision is exactly that... my own. I also asked the infamous question what would YOU do, and that I have gotten as well. I am scheduled to talk to my boss today. We'll see how this pans out.
Thanks to all.

Megapixel
10-30-2010, 17:18
Take the offer, start in March and when the month is up, decide if ya want to quit the job and keep going or come home and hike the next chunk of hills the next year.

Can't take an offer, then just quit, not in my book.

Megapixel
10-30-2010, 17:19
How close are you to retirement? The deal seems quite nice, being able to take a full month off would be something I would kill for. I would not use the month to section hike the AT, maybe do some of the nicer sections for sure, New England, Shenandoahs, etc, and use the other years for other trails: JMT, Colorado Trail, Long Trail, many trails on Europe can be done in 1 month, go hiking in New Zealand and Australia, Argentina, etc, do some more exotic trips when you have a nice job and extra salary, the then when you retire, head out and start thru-hiking the trails in the US that can be done much cheaper with regards to travel, etc.

I've put some thought into this. It's a good point. I've sectioned bits and pieces of the AT, it's the thru that is the dream.

emerald
10-30-2010, 18:38
Why, aside from your admission you can't get the idea out of your head?

Scooby99
10-30-2010, 19:12
The AT is always going to be there, an offer like the one you have on the table may never be again.

Megapixel
10-31-2010, 20:16
So first I want to thank everyone for chiming in. I am so super pumped right now after meeting with my manager. To keep it short, he has given me a promotion, and would rather me hike the whole thing at once! He believes in balance in the workplace, and allowing people to follow dreams... he has had similiar experiences as an employee and knows what it means to be able to go after things in life. I have, effective late April, a 6 month LOA. I cannot believe it. Now to figure a way to sleep.

Del Q
10-31-2010, 20:45
Many great perspectives, fact is we are in and will remain in a pretty shaky economy for years to come, not year. Take a month and see how it goes. I really like section hiking, keeps the AT on my mind all of the time, planning and staying in shape is a good focus for me, am happy when I am out there, IT does not become my day job. From the employers view they will save some money and probably see better productivity....and build Company culture by supporting dreams.

Skidsteer
10-31-2010, 21:04
So first I want to thank everyone for chiming in. I am so super pumped right now after meeting with my manager. To keep it short, he has given me a promotion, and would rather me hike the whole thing at once! He believes in balance in the workplace, and allowing people to follow dreams... he has had similiar experiences as an employee and knows what it means to be able to go after things in life. I have, effective late April, a 6 month LOA. I cannot believe it. Now to figure a way to sleep.

Dude.

Where do I send a resume?

Megapixel
10-31-2010, 21:06
Dude.

Where do I send a resume?

LOL. you are telling me man. and, to boot my wife gets the same deal. We are promised that we are part of the management team that he is building for the future, and that rest assured our jobs are there when we return.

Marta
11-01-2010, 07:37
Congratulations!

bigcranky
11-01-2010, 07:39
LOL. you are telling me man. and, to boot my wife gets the same deal. We are promised that we are part of the management team that he is building for the future, and that rest assured our jobs are there when we return.

Schweet. Enjoy the planning and the hike.

Megapixel
11-01-2010, 10:24
thanks for the congrsts! I'm still feeling like a kid at Christmas eve right now!!!

flemdawg1
11-01-2010, 14:08
That's awesome, enjoy your hike!

gravityman
11-01-2010, 16:39
I was in the same place in 2004. Shocked that it was going to happen, and happy as all get out. Sometimes things just align. Have a great hike!

Gravity

Trailbender
11-01-2010, 17:12
Many great perspectives, fact is we are in and will remain in a pretty shaky economy for years to come, not year. Take a month and see how it goes. I really like section hiking, keeps the AT on my mind all of the time, planning and staying in shape is a good focus for me, am happy when I am out there, IT does not become my day job. From the employers view they will save some money and probably see better productivity....and build Company culture by supporting dreams.

Everything I have read and studied says we are headed for total economic collapse and hyperinflation.

For the thru, I dropped out of college and did my thru hike this year. I realized before I did it that I might not be able to return to school, or find a job when I got back. I had 20K in loans as well. None of it mattered. I had to do what made me happy, no matter the consequences. You have to be true to yourself. Screw the money, if that is the only reason.

Pursuing my happiness is my highest moral goal.

I am back in college right now, but everything has been boring and depressing since I got back. I summitted Katahdin 2 1/2 months ago. I have considered just dropping out again and spending the rest of my life hiking, just doing odd jobs for food money. I know I would be happy doing it, but I want to give college a fully fair trial first. I do enjoy learning.

Miner
11-01-2010, 18:24
I'd love a job that gave me a month to hike each year and would be far less likely to leave it since most trips I'm interested in only need 4-5weeks (the CDT and AT being the big exceptions on my current ToDoList). One of the reasons I don't mind being laid off every so often is I finally have time to travel and hike like I want to since 2weeks/year just doesn't do it. Too many people don't save up during good times so they panic at a lay off and run off to get their next job instead of enjoyinng their new found freedom. Even if you decide to stay, few people stay at the same company for life today. Either you'll leave or they'll let you go after only a couple of years. So unless you have a reason to be in a rush, I wouldn't force the issue right now.

Miner
11-01-2010, 18:26
Oh never mind, I see it worked out for you. Congrats on being able to hike.

fredmugs
11-02-2010, 06:40
Come work for the federal government. I get 26 vacation days a year, plus 13 sick days, throw in 10 holiday and a work schedule where I get every other Friday off and I get a lot of hiking in. We also have the option of taking "leave without pay" where you can keep your health care as long as you pay your share of the premiums.

I have no desire to thru hike anything but if I'm lucky I will finish section hiking the AT next year and then every year until I retire I plan on hiking our west scouting out places to retire to.

NLena
11-02-2010, 09:21
Congrats to you! That is amazing news! So, can we follow a trail journal?

Raul Perez
11-02-2010, 10:16
Congrats and I hate you ;)

drastic_quench
11-02-2010, 11:55
I just read the first page.

Can you propose a counter offer? Ask for two three-month leaves of absence to be taken in two years. If the money is not a crucial factor for you, plug that. You could even try to make the concession that you don't want the paid time off, which saves him money. You could let the boss have input on which three month, within reason. Otherwise, Whites in February, here I come!

All he could say is no, and entering into negotiations might result with him upping his offer to two months. A two or three month section would be fantastic. At that length, it's hardly a section anyhow. It's move of an abbreviated thru - to be continued.

I'm in education, so I'll likely be doing my thru in two years of summers.

Tim51
11-04-2010, 14:13
My 2 cents.
Hiker Trash.
No Regrets.
-Iceaxe PCT'09 CDT'10
Good Post IceAxe.

Megapixel
11-07-2010, 16:56
Congrats to you! That is amazing news! So, can we follow a trail journal?

Congrats and I hate you ;)

Thanks ! and I love you too Raul. Not sure about a trail journal online yet, as i will be focusing a bit on a indie film we will be producing while hiking... but my wife may keep an online journal. I'll let you know, and thanks for asking.