PDA

View Full Version : Extra battery for Blackberry

Charlie D
10-29-2010, 11:40
I am thinking about carrying an extra battery for my phone. Checked on them at Radio Shack and Amazon.com. What a disparity of prices!! 49.99 at Radio Shack and 4.00 on Amazon.
Anyone try these batteries from Amazon? Why such a wild swing in prices? I'm thinking the Amazon batteries are crap but would like to hear from anyone who may have purchased one.

swash
10-29-2010, 12:22
While not a Blackberry I bought spare batteries for my phone off of Amazon for only 99 cents each, instead of $20ish from electronic stores. It came brand new, and I know this because it lasts longer than my original battery. The one thing you have to do is check the serial number, picture, etc. and see if its the same battery that originally came with your phone. In my case it was the same exact one.

Spiffy
10-29-2010, 12:22
I've purchased replacement/spare batteries for both my Laptop and phone thru eBay. They hold a charge almost as long as the OEM batteries.
In my experience, the trade-off (lower cost -- reduced performance) was worth it.
YMMV.
Hope that helped.

StorminMormon
10-29-2010, 12:57
NO WAY! The batteries on Amazon are just fine. I have bought 3rd party batteries off Amazon for my Blackberry, my Video Camera, and a Sony Digital Camera.

Not sure which seller you're looking at, but I buy a ton of stuff from BargainCell. You can see their online store at BargainCell.com. Anyway, go for it. They're totally legit.

Also, the original battery for my video camera was a 870 maH (milli-amp hour) battery. The 3rd party battery's I bought (from BargainCell) are 1400 maH and they only cost me about 4 bucks. They last almost twice as long as the original battery. They put out the same voltage, they're just a larger capacity.

Kerosene
10-29-2010, 13:03
You might also check www.ebattery.com. I purchased replacement batteries for a few digital cameras, and ended up purchasing a few extras just because they were so cheap. That said, if they should fry your electronics or leak then you will have voided the manufacturer's warranty in all likelihood.

BrianLe
10-29-2010, 13:52
I bought some aftermarket batteries for my phone, and had a couple of interesting experiences as a result. First, I bought standard replacements that were supposed to be plug-compatible and used those on the PCT. The aftermarket versions were apparantly not quite the absolute precise size of the originals, just a tiny, tiny bit of space for them to move a bit, with the result I believe that my smartphone would occasionally reboot itself. Obviously not good. I think they held a decent charge, however.

For the AT, I decided that I wanted a beefier battery so I bought two "extended" batteries; this sort of thing is available in various form factors and capacities for various phones I believe. The batteries were physically larger (thicker), and so came with a replacement (bulgy) back plate for my phone. Batteries worked fine once installed, but the backplate and battery combination were a really tight, not quite quite right fit, this time too tight rather than too loose. So no reboots, but very very challenging getting the battery back in whenever I wanted to swap batteries.

With the thicker battery I didn't need to swap as often, but the whole point of having a replaceable battery is so that you can, so ... also not entirely a happy experience. Trying to force the other backplate on cracked my case just a little, too (just a couple of little chips, but scary), and also changed the hole size that my stylus fit into such that I lost the stylus at one point.

So I've become more of a fan now of paying up for a true, manufacturer replacement battery.

Charlie D
10-29-2010, 15:08
OKay, I went ahead and ordered a couple of aftermarket batteries. If they don't work out there won't be much lost.

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2010, 15:10
Avoid rippoff shack at all costs - I purchased all my mobile phone batteries at Amazon.