PDA

View Full Version : Kayak-camping pictures

Philetus
10-29-2010, 11:41
I did my first bout of kayaking camping this past weekend, and thought I'd share some of the pictures.

Most of the water is the Intracoastal Waterway north of Charleston, SC (technically Sewee Bay and the surroundings), out to the Atlantic Ocean. We camped on a uninhabited barrier island called Capers Island, know for an eroded and bleached-out forest on the front beach. If you're ever in the area, and have access to a boat, it is highly -- highly -- recommended. I'm pretty sure you've never seen anything like the Boneyard.

Anyway, it was a great trip, and while stuffing a kayak full of gear instead of having it on your back does have its advantages, the next time I go hiking, it will be in a place with 100% less sand.

Hope you enjoy the pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=79263&id=1627684670

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2010, 15:14
I would love to see them - but refuse to log into face book.

Luddite
10-29-2010, 15:20
I would love to see them - but refuse to log into face book.

Same. My profile is deactivated.

SCHernandez
10-29-2010, 19:09
Great pics! I'm planning a similar trip near Beaufort, NC in the Spring. Now I want to go this weekend!

Sierra Echo
10-29-2010, 19:16
I enjoyed the pics! Would have loved to have gone on the trip!

halftime
10-29-2010, 19:17
Enjoyed...thanks for sharing.

Sierra Echo
10-29-2010, 19:30
My brother organized a camping trip this weekend. I wasn't invited because I don't have testicles!!! And just for the record, I'm glad I don't!!!!

Skidsteer
10-29-2010, 19:32
My brother organized a camping trip this weekend. I wasn't invited because I don't have testicles!!! And just for the record, I'm glad I don't!!!!

Crash it. You don't need testicles to have big balls.

Sierra Echo
10-29-2010, 19:47
Crash it. You don't need testicles to have big balls.

Amen to that, brother! LOLOLOL

SMSP
10-29-2010, 20:17
Nice pics. I live on the coast in South MS. I'd love to get into kayaking. May have to rent for now. It's an expensive investment with all the other hobbies and interests.

Thanks for sharing,

SMSP

rainmaker
10-29-2010, 21:53
A couple of old farts and I kayak over to Capers every MLK weekend. At that time of the year the mosquitoes are usually not a problem and there are few people. We usually camp just North of the dunes near an old live oak. Even in January though we have seen small gators on the ICW side of the island. This year's trip was a wee adventure. After leaving the Isle of Palms Marina the wind picked up and because of the unobstructed fetch across the bay, white caps began to build. There is nothing like paddling a performance sea kayak, using every ounce of energy you have to punch through breaking waves, salt spray breaking over your bow as you struggle to keep the craft from broaching. It really makes you feel alive, if you survive it. Since we did we'll do it again.

rainmaker
10-29-2010, 21:59
Great pics! I'm planning a similar trip near Beaufort, NC in the Spring. Now I want to go this weekend!

Are you referring to Hammock Beach St. Park? I've kayaked over to Bear Island a couple of time and thoroughly enjoyed it. BTW, this time of the year is best, fewer bugs.