PDA

View Full Version : After Dried Pasta and Rice theres GRAVY

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2010, 13:10
Using Cans of low sodium Gravy Turkey, Beef, and Chicken the cans say 10 ounces - the water can be removed and a light 1oz leather can be broken up and added to instant rice or topping a loaded instant potato for additional flavor.

Using a fruit roll up tray, open the can and spatula the entire contents into a even thickness all over the tray, do not prep the tray with non stick, the oil in the gravy when dried out will come off clean - drying appears to be 6 hours. divide the roll up into pieces and put inside the dry combined meals.
Do not try to fully put all the water back into the gravy, only a little is needed to melt it back.

Spaghetti sauce doesn't work the same - so I would use a non stick.

Farr Away
10-29-2010, 14:42
Hmm, wonder if that would work with homemade gravy? I use the gravy mix packets, but they're awfully salty.

When the spaghetti sauce is mostly dry, I just put the fruit leather trays in the freezer for 30 minutes. The leather pops off the tray, and I flip it over to dry the other side. Works like a charm.

-FA

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2010, 15:12
The gravy packets was exactly what I was trying to avoid. Home Made would be fine, just toss in a blender for a short period - the lumps must come out!

mister krabs
10-29-2010, 15:41
Skip the packets, just make the gravy, it couldn't be much easier. Equal parts butter and flour stirred together for 5 minutes over medium heat, add stock, pepper, some worcestershire or kitchen bouquet and salt to taste.

sarbar
10-29-2010, 18:43
When I crave it on the trail I use Simply Organics brand. It isn't low sodium but at least no MSG and isn't as bad. Pretty tasty as well!

Dogwood
10-30-2010, 02:00
LOL! With some of the recent titled threads floating around, I like the way you titled this thread WOO.

emerald
10-30-2010, 02:13
Your home made gravy may go well with black rice, but please be careful about your source.

Farr Away
10-31-2010, 01:20
The gravy packets was exactly what I was trying to avoid. Home Made would be fine, just toss in a blender for a short period - the lumps must come out!

Are you saying my homemade gravy is lumpy, lol? ;)