PDA

View Full Version : camera tripod

brack
12-10-2004, 19:14
i own a canon rebel slr and a digital powershot S1 IS. my question is does anyone know of a "lightweight" or "ultralight" tripod that would be easily carried or not easily carried along the trail. both of the cameras have the standard tripod mount on the bottom. thanks for your help/suggestions/rants about something silly i typed...

brack

Footslogger
12-10-2004, 19:31
i own a canon rebel slr and a digital powershot S1 IS. my question is does anyone know of a "lightweight" or "ultralight" tripod that would be easily carried or not easily carried along the trail. both of the cameras have the standard tripod mount on the bottom. thanks for your help/suggestions/rants about something silly i typed...

brack
Not sure if you would be happy strapping your camera to a tree ...but I have a super lightweight tripod (sold at REI) that has a velcro strap for fastening around a tree branch. It's made out of high impact plastic and weighs about 2 oz. Carried it all the way to Katahdin on my thru-hike last year and used it to get shots with "me" in them. They make 2 sizes. I got the smaller one of the two for my hike but now I have both. You can use them as a regular tripod on the ground or a stump or strap them to a tree branch.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Tha Wookie
12-10-2004, 19:42
I found and used a full-size tripod for my west coast hike. I've tried the mini tripods, but they are severely limiting if getting the shots really matter to you. My tripod is 1 lb., and is made by... um... Slik. It;s the Slik Compact-XL. It was about $35. Look at bhphoto.com for the best prices and great selection.

Happy shooting!

Tha Wookie
12-10-2004, 19:43
Also make sure to get a short bulb shutter release cord, if your camera takes one. (for extended time shots)

Pencil Pusher
12-10-2004, 20:11
There are hiking sticks that have the male thread camera mount on top of the stick. Drive the pole into the ground/snow and it's relatively stable enough to take pictures with. I have one but couldn't find any stickers indicating who the manufacturer is. You could probably modify your hiking stick similarly.

Tha Wookie
12-10-2004, 21:14
PP-

Yes, Thanks for bringing that up. If anyone finds a male screw bolt that you can drill into a real stick, let me know please

Pencil Pusher
12-10-2004, 21:43
I Googled 'hiking pole camera mount' and it came up with several examples. Otherwise I'd assume a trip to Home Depot with camera in tow would get you the bolt and then it'd be up to your imagination on how to make it work.

Youngblood
12-10-2004, 21:50
PP-

Yes, Thanks for bringing that up. If anyone finds a male screw bolt that you can drill into a real stick, let me know please

I think you can use this to do what you want (and maybe more): http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=904&parent_category_rn=4760433&vcat=REI_SEARCH . The three legs fold together and the attached velcro can then be attached to your stick, hiking pole, etc. It has one screw that allows it to tilt and squivel at the same time. This is their smallest one for very light cameras, they have an Ultrapod II for slightly larger cameras.

SGT Rock
12-10-2004, 22:22
I've got one of those, I realy like it.

Kaercher
12-10-2004, 23:03
I believe the size bolt you want is 1/4 X 20
The length is up to you.

weary
12-11-2004, 00:20
PP-

All tripod mounts that I have seen use a standard 1/4-20 screw. I spent quite a bit of time seeking same with a wood screw on one end. Not succeeding, I finally just drilled a hole in the end of my stick and epoxied the screw in. If I remember rightly a 7/16th drill just fits a 1/4-20 hex head screw. To increase stability and permanance, I used an inch long 1/4 20 and screwed on a couple of hex head nuts to give the epoxie more to grip on to.

I've made several such sticks. The screw eventually loosened on the first hiking stick/monopod I made. But after that I used a stronger epoxie and have had no further problems.

I would prefer an adjustable tripod. But in the interest of weight reduction I make do with two human legs and one stick. It works for most photos, especially scenics.

When not using my monopod for pictures, I cover the exposed screw with a round knob and it doubles as a hiking stick. Komperdell used to sell a knob that worked perfectly and included a leather strap and imbedded compass.

I don't see that combination on the market any more, so now I buy wooden drawer pulls from hardware stores and epoxie 1/4-20 hex nuts into them for a cheaper, but somewhat less elegant solution.

Weary

Tha Wookie
12-11-2004, 01:57
Weary,

Thanks for the thorough info.

hungryhowie
12-11-2004, 02:09

brack

I've used a Slik Sprint Pro for several months and it is OK for hiking. It weighs about 2 pounds (with a lightweight ballhead), and can hold a camera anywhere from 6 inches above the ground to 6 feet above the ground. The price was right too, only $80 at B&H. It also compacts to about 20 inches, so it can easily be stowed on the side or back of a pack.

On the down side, it get's a little flimsy when you extend the 4th (smallest diameter) section of legs, or when you extend the center column too much (a common problem with all tripods). For that reason, I'm getting a Feisol Carbon Fibre Tripod, a rip-off of the much more expensive Gitzo Mountaineer CF series. It's only $180 (as opposed to the Gitzo at $450), and weighs about 3 pounds. The up side, however, is that it is rock solid. If you are taking and long lenses, you may want to consider a more stury tripod.

Regardless, get a remote release for your camera and use mirror lock-up if your camera will allow you to. It makes a world of difference in sharpness.

Oh yeah, and I'd recommend a quick-release system as you need to be able to get everything together quickly. Screwing on your camera each time takes an extra minute that you may not have when the light is changing quickly. Probably the most widely acclaimed quick release style is the Arca-Swiss style. Several reputable manufacturers make parts in this style, including Really Right Stuff, Kirk, and Markins.

-newsushi

The Hog
12-11-2004, 08:14
This summer, I hiked 125 miles on the Continental Divide in Montana, where I decided to experiment with an ultralite tripod. I tried out the 2 oz REI mini tripod with the velcro strap that Footslogger mentioned above, the difference being that I carried a digital video camera. I kept the tripod screwed into the camera and carried it in my hand for quick access (if you stow it away in the pack, it'll be a nuisance to retrieve and you'll miss a good fraction of your photo ops). I barely noticed the weight and the tripod performed well, either strapped to a tree or in the three legged position on the ground. Levelling shots was fairly easy, an important consideration when you're comparing monopods with tripods.

Mr. Clean
12-11-2004, 08:44
I just ordered the ultrapod II from Campmor a couple days ago, this after looking at the Slikstick tripods. They were nice, but seemed a bit bulky. Not sure how I'll find the Ultrapod.

Jaybird
12-11-2004, 10:45
brack

REI (http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=4760433&vcat=REI_SEARCH) (& most other good outfitter stores) carries one that is a couple ounces.....(http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=4760433&vcat=REI_SEARCH) stands about a 1/2foot tall & features a strap that can hold onto a tree for those "special" shots....you're taking 2 cameras? what kind of torture are u into? flip a coin....leave one of 'em @ home! :D

LIhikers
12-11-2004, 11:28
PP-

Go to your friedly local hardware store. There is something that has the threads of a bolt on one end and the threads of a wood screw on the other end. I have no idea what it's called but I know I've seen them,

weary
12-11-2004, 16:29
Go to your friedly local hardware store. There is something that has the threads of a bolt on one end and the threads of a wood screw on the other end. I have no idea what it's called but I know I've seen them,
They are commonly used as part of fancy hooks for hanging plants on porches and on exposed beams in houses. I just can't find one with a 1/4-20 thread. I'm sure they are made. It's just that no store I've checked sells them -- including a Home Depot. A new Lowes near here is opening soon. I'll check there but I'm not optimistic.

Even if I find one, I suspect my epoxy solution may still be the best. For use as a camera mount, the 1/4-20 thread shouldn't extend more than a quarter inch or so from the end of a walking stick-monopod, something that strikes me as unlikely to be found on a combination fastener designed for limited special purposes.

Weary

The Will
12-11-2004, 20:31
brack,

I'm not exactly sure how you are defining "ultra-light", in terms of a tri-pod. Several wonderful and very light weight suggestions have been given. If you are adamant about not compromising your photography, then I'd recommend the Gitzo G1027. It is a sub-two pound carbon fiber tripod that will handle the weight of your SLR. Even at less than two pounds, the weight is incongruous with lightweight backpacking, but I'm a photographer first and backpacker second. <O:p<O:p</O:p
</O:p

http://www.gitzo.com/ (http://www.gitzo.com/)<O:p></O:p>

ACH05
12-11-2004, 20:35
Go to your friedly local hardware store. There is something that has the threads of a bolt on one end and the threads of a wood screw on the other end. I have no idea what it's called but I know I've seen them, They are called hanger bolts. These are typically used to attach legs to the apron of a table. They are commonly available in 1/4-20.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=20.7.2

The ones shown in the link above, are stainless steel. These might work well for a camera mount.

To install, jam two nuts on the threaded end turn with a 7/16 wrench. A pilot hole will prevent splitting.

weary
12-11-2004, 21:57
They are called hanger bolts. These are typically used to attach legs to the apron of a table. They are commonly available in 1/4-20.

The ones shown in the link above, are stainless steel. These might work well for a camera mount.

To install, jam two nuts on the threaded end turn with a 7/16 wrench. A pilot hole will prevent splitting.

We are getting close. These are what we need, certainly. I'm a bit concerned about the "L-3" length in the Mcfeely's photo. Without some kind of spacer a one inch protrusion of the 1/4-20 thread, may be too long. The extra length can be cut off, but you then would have to file the end carefully. so that it attaches to the camera without damaging the camera's threads.

However, with a little ingenuity the extra length might make it easier to attach a strap to a wooden pole. I'll have to experiment.

Weary

kncats
12-11-2004, 22:13
You can get hanger bolts in plain, not stainless, steel that have the 1/2-20 threads as short as 3/8 inch. Or, leave a stainless nut on the threaded part before you cut the excess off. Then when you back the nut off it will straighten the threads for you.

brack
12-14-2004, 21:07
http://www.crawfordknives.com/survivalstaff.htm

ignore the link title... haha scroll down til you see camera mount.

weary
12-14-2004, 23:42
http://www.crawfordknives.com/survivalstaff.htm ignore the link title... haha scroll down til you see camera mount.
Well. I certainly know when to give up -- when to hold them and when to fold them. Fold is the only option.

Amazing! All this, only two pounds, and still less than a thousand dollars.

Weary

Mountain Dew
12-15-2004, 03:16
Forget tripods of any size etc. Tracks makes a hiking pole that weighs 12.5 oz. each and has a camera mount top to them. The round knob at the top of the hiking stick unscrews and has a sharp metal point just underneath the poles foot. The foot of the pole unscrews as well so that you can use the sharp spike to stick into the ground. I believe that Pencil Pusher was referring this this type of pole earlier. Why use a tripod when you can use a hiking stick that can do more than hike. Eastern Mountain Sports also sells a version of this stick. Using a "light" tripod will surely enable you to get many pictures looking at an upward angle of you or whatever itis that you photograph and strapping a light tripod to your stick is just extra weight. Here is a direct link to an outfitter that sells these poles... www.mountainsports.com

weary
12-15-2004, 10:09
Forget tripods of any size etc. Tracks makes a hiking pole that weighs 12.5 oz. each and has a camera mount top to them. The round knob at the top of the hiking stick unscrews and has a sharp metal point just underneath the poles foot. ....[/url]
This prettymuch describes my homemade hiking stick/monopod. Mine lacks the bottom spike for driving into the ground, but also weighs three ounces less and costs many dollars less.

Though a stabilizing spike would be useful on wind free days, a rarity on high ridges, I find the combination of a monopod and my two legs gives pretty good results.

Over the years I've made several versions, mostly because it is easy and inexpensive to experiment. I keep an eye out for suitable wooden poles as I wander near alder swamps, and trail construction sites. It takes but a minute or two to strip the bark, especially if done in the spring, and about the same length of time to drill a hole for the camera mounting screw, and for converting a wooden drawer pull to serve as the top of a hiking stick.

The biggest mistake I see when I look at commercial wooden hiking poles is that all most all are too heavy. If you need anything larger than a three-quarter inch crutch tip, your stick is almost certainly needlessly heavy. A half inch diameter cane tip makes for an especially light walking stick; total weight with light, but strong, wood, about 8 ounces.

Weary

Tim Rich
12-15-2004, 10:40
They are called hanger bolts. These are typically used to attach legs to the apron of a table. They are commonly available in 1/4-20.

They're available at Lowes and Home Depot. I've used them to connect wood curtain rods. I like the ultrapod (or the REI generic) because it allows me to strap it to a tree and place it on rocks as well. If you use your hiking stick, you may not be able to fix it in rocky soil or outcroppings, and the height of your shot is always that of your hiking stick.

I keep my REI tripod attached to my camera in my wet rib sack, on dry days.

Take Care,

Tim

Mountain Dew
12-15-2004, 17:27
Good post Weary. While I like your idea for a hiking stick many people can't make such a thing. Also, with the stick having a spike at the tip of it you can then take your own picture if your camera has a timer on it. Many of my pictures on the A.T. were taken like this thus leaving nobody out of the shot and made it possible for me to get that picture i wanted if I was alone.

WOW a thread with no insults, Christian hating, hostel hating, website bashing, etc.... GOODTIMES :sun

SGT Rock
12-15-2004, 17:33
Oh no, MD you just jinxed the thread.

I use a Leki pole with that Ultrapod. You can velcro the ultrapod to the top of the pole after sticking it into the ground, then take it off. It also makes a good tripod on flat spots where you can't nail in the pole. A little flexability in the system that way.

Footslogger
12-15-2004, 18:18
Oh no, MD you just jinxed the thread.

I use a Leki pole with that Ultrapod. You can velcro the ultrapod to the top of the pole after sticking it into the ground, then take it off. It also makes a good tripod on flat spots where you can't nail in the pole. A little flexability in the system that way.===============================
"UltraPod" ...that's the name of the gadget I have and was trying to describe in my earlier post. I did the same as you Rock and got some nice shots with me in the foreground. I also used the ultrapod by itself on fence posts to steady the camera for scenery shots. Hard to beat that little plastic tri-pod and you're carrying hiking poles anyway (or at least most folks do). Like that multi-purpose gear !!

'Slogger
AT 2003