PDA

View Full Version : Wine & Cheese Party

Mother Natures Son
10-30-2010, 18:14
In an effort to raise money for the Iron Master's hostel, the folks that run the hostel (Central PA Conservancy) are hosting a wine & cheese party. The Nov.14th party will be held at the hostel and is $25.00 per a person. If interested, please RSVP them directly at [email protected]:banana

Limo
10-30-2010, 20:06
Do you have a link to more information?

Limo
10-30-2010, 20:10
Found it: http://www.centralpaconservancy.org/node/335

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2010, 23:14
Although everones heart is in the right place and I am all for it, you noticed there isn't any mention why the place was condemmed? How much really needs fixing? Are there bug issues? Water issues? How much repair is needed and what proposals have been done?

Mother Natures Son
10-31-2010, 07:09
What is wrong with the Iron Master's hostel is a long list. First, several key parts of the building no longer meet code (I.E. Fire alarms, electrical systems, plumbing, and the list goes on and on). I think the main problem lies with the past proprietors, AYH, as they did not keep the hostel up to code, much less reasonable repair. What bugs me to this day is that during the good times hostelling had the money to keep the place up but chose for whatever reason to turn their back on this grand old lady of the trail. Last time I heard it would be $100K+ just to do the repairs and bring the building up to code. Does anyone think they can actually raise that amount of money during these hard times by spring?:banana

camojack
10-31-2010, 15:03
What is wrong with the Iron Master's hostel is a long list. First, several key parts of the building no longer meet code (I.E. Fire alarms, electrical systems, plumbing, and the list goes on and on). I think the main problem lies with the past proprietors, AYH, as they did not keep the hostel up to code, much less reasonable repair. What bugs me to this day is that during the good times hostelling had the money to keep the place up but chose for whatever reason to turn their back on this grand old lady of the trail. Last time I heard it would be $100K+ just to do the repairs and bring the building up to code. Does anyone think they can actually raise that amount of money during these hard times by spring?:banana
I was just there last weekend for an A.T. Museum planning session, and although I certainly didn't look into things like plumbing and wiring, the place seems to be shaping up nicely from a strictly cosmetic standpoint.
(Mostly it seems as though the kitchen needs a stove)

Hopefully they can meet their deadline of being ready by next April. :-?

Razor
10-31-2010, 15:15
Have hikers been given any answer as to how they stand on the grand plan and if they would be given any hostle places or is it to be used for social gatherings ,wine and cheese events or do they really know. The last time this subject came up this question was asked and never answered. The hiking community has always supported IMH but I have not got any answers as to the long term plan of the use after restoration. Where do we stand ?

camojack
10-31-2010, 15:42
Have hikers been given any answer as to how they stand on the grand plan and if they would be given any hostle places or is it to be used for social gatherings ,wine and cheese events or do they really know. The last time this subject came up this question was asked and never answered. The hiking community has always supported IMH but I have not got any answers as to the long term plan of the use after restoration. Where do we stand ?
They plan to operate as a hostel, but with less capacity.

The following is an excerpt of a 9-7-10 email I received from the Executive Director of the Central PA Conservancy:

We are trying our best to get everything "up to code" but we still have a new kitchen and windows we have to raise $$ for and get installed before we can get our occupancy permit. We want to open April 1st 2010 but the fundraising will determine that goal. We have not had an opportunity to work on policies/rates yet. We imagine that it will be very close to what was being done previously. We have retained Ray Burt who was the innkeeper for the previous hostel group. I'll keep you posted as soon as I know anything.