PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the fat

Mother Natures Son
10-31-2010, 07:17
I was thinking of getting new hiking duds but the way things are going, I guess I'll get some old Army clothes again. (man this stuff is warm and cheap!) Anyone thinking along the same line that I am?

Feral Bill
10-31-2010, 12:17
Lots of surplus stuff is servicable, if on the heavy side. I used to use it extensively, especially in winter. (wool pants, nylon wind pants, mittens, Mickey Mouse boots, wind parka)

Luddite
10-31-2010, 14:38
I used a bunch of army surplus clothing last winter and it worked out fine. I wasn't too happy with the sleeping bag though. That jacket with the faux fur lined hood is extremely warm. http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/gi-extreme-cold-weather-parka-3145.cfm

Pretty heavy stuff though...

sbhikes
10-31-2010, 19:34
I'm a thrift-store junkie myself. I get name-brand hiking clothes there.

halftime
10-31-2010, 19:56
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

Iceaxe
10-31-2010, 19:57
I used the Army surplus PT (Physical Training) shorts. I get them for 6 bucks a pair at the Mountain View Surplus in Campbell California.
They are cheap, light, quick drying, and don't chafe easily. The liner saves me from needing undies as well. I got 1200 miles out of the first pair until a case of giardia, shall we say.. "Took them". :eek: The liner seems to get stretched out after 1000 miles anyways.
After the CDT I ended up in Calgary and happened to go shopping for town clothes at MEC. An equivalent pair of shorts goes for 35 bucks there! And you thought those poor Canadians only paid more for magazines!
I also got my Victorinox Classic knife on sale at the Army surplus store as well as a bunch of No-See-Um mesh which i have dreams of turning into a bug bivy for my tarp set up on the AT.
Anyhow I love the surplus store even though most of their wares don't fit my current ultra light style.. I still can't help buying all that cool crap!:banana

sumnere
10-31-2010, 22:15
Get thrifty. Hit up thrift stores and Goodwill. You'd be surprised at what you will find. Check out Wal-Mart also. Just finished my thru-hike with nothing but clothes from Wal-Mart and thrift stores.

leaftye
10-31-2010, 22:41
I mostly use my old military gear, although I may size up some of my military gear for ummm...."aging". I love my military gortex, although I understand goretex isn't all that effective at lower temps. I got some nifty special forces mittens that I can't wait to try out this winter. I'm about to pick up some felt insoles.

Wise Old Owl
10-31-2010, 22:59
MNS my best "buys" have been at both Walmart and Dick's one just has to go and read the labels. Yup Shopping is Required. I found zip off hiking knock offs and Columbia pants at $20 in the overstock at Dicks. I found Polypro Golf shirts at Walmart for $17

tuswm
11-01-2010, 01:01
its amazing what you can get at an attic sale at REI if you get there early.

Mags
11-01-2010, 01:18
its amazing what you can get at an attic sale at REI if you get there early.

The only problem with these 'amazing gear sales' is that they are on weekends.

My girlfriend (along with many people in town) loves to hit these things. Be it REI, or one of the manufacturers based here who have their warehouse sales. Getting up early, waiting in line, and perusing the wares over the course of the morning.

I tend to avoid them. Weekends are for spending time outdoors..not buying clothes to go outdoors. ;)

But, I am a cranky guy who hikes in polyester dress shirts from the thrift store. :D