PDA

View Full Version : New Balance 80_??s

Toolshed
12-10-2004, 20:22
Help!
My NB 806's are getting long in the tooth. I couldb't find any new 807's at local stores and I am wondering if they have been discontinued. I see some NB83's now. Does anyone know if they are replacing the 80_series?
thanks

walkin' wally
12-10-2004, 20:35
I don't know where you live but a phone call or note to the New Balance Factory Store at 207-474-6231 at 13 Walnut Street in Skowhegan, Maine 04976 might turn up some info for you.

Hope this helps.

Walkin' Wally :sun

Haiku
12-11-2004, 03:46
I don't know how the 806s have held up for you, but as a word of warning, I didn't find the 807s to hold up very well. After saying that, I will admit that two pairs lasted from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin (barely), but then one pair of Montrail (don't remember the model) lasted me from Springer to Harpers Ferry, minus about 150 miles. The 807s fit great and felt great, but tore, came apart at the toes, wore away behind the heels - granted, all normal things for shoes, but it seemed that they happened sooner. The piece of sole that wraps around in front of the toes came unglued on both pairs within a week of wear, and only frequent applications of superglue kept them from flapping all the way loose (as I saw another hiker's doing).

Anyway, once again, I found them to be extremely comfortable, but I personally won't buy them again. Hope that helps you.

Haiku.

Jeff
12-11-2004, 09:19
The 807 shoe is available here (on sale!!!) http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=8&brandcatid=42&gen=m&pcid=12137

I have returned a pair of 806's to this vendor because the front toe flap was coming unglued and they replaced them no charge!!!!

Jaybird
12-11-2004, 10:33
there seems to be an abundant sites (REI, etc) with NB 807s still available....so, i would doubt (but, could be wrong) if they are dis-continuing the "trail runners".

i've had some 807s (also some NB 475s) for about a year....they work fine for me for day hikes, weekend hikes, etc.....but, i still use my Vasque Sundowners for the 2 or 3 week hikes. :D

Toolshed
12-11-2004, 15:20
Jeff Great deal Thanks for the site. I also saw they had 806's at $55 as well (some sizes not available.)
I guess I shouldn't have listened to the store clerk without checking online first (that told me 807's were no longer sold)
Thanks

Knees
12-15-2004, 13:37
I don't know how the 806s have held up for you, but as a word of warning, I didn't find the 807s to hold up very well.
Anyway, once again, I found them to be extremely comfortable, but I personally won't buy them again. Hope that helps you.
Haiku.

I'll second this. I bought a pair of the 807s to train with, as my other athletic shoes are NB. After maybe 200-250mi, they self destructed while I was out on a walk and I walked a painful couple of miles home. Felt great on my feet, but I'm not going to buy them again. If that had happened on the trail, I would have been in serious trouble! :datz

PKH
12-15-2004, 15:30
I've had a pair of 807s since September and have used them for about 200 miles of hikes, plus normal everyday use. The shoes are very comfortable, and it's great that you can get them in 4E size. One thing I have noted; the eyelets seem to be a bit sharp or abrasive and they tend to wear through the laces, especially when I am really cinching them tight.

I used 706s for my IAT hike last summer and they made it to Katahden. In sad shape mind you, but they did make it. By that time my feet had expanded considerably and I was suffering for the last 200 miles.

Cheers,

PKH

Toolshed
12-19-2004, 12:47
I was in Dicks Sporting goods this morning and they have the AT806's marked down to $24.99. Picked up the last pair they had between size 11 and 12, but they are otehrs sizes.

broodX
12-20-2004, 14:55
The 807's did replace the 806's I hiked in 806's from Port clinton to Andover and loved them. I did upgrade to the 906's when I tried on a pair of the new 807's. The 906 is an awesome shoe. loved it

magic_game03
12-20-2004, 15:38
the 807 is a bucket of cr&p.
everyones foot is different, and in my world no other shoe in the world had the feel or quality of make that an 806 had. I cried when I couln't find repalcements. Christmas came early this year when I found a source online after months of searching.

go to zappos.com and type in "new balance 806." at the bottom of the list is a link for New Jersey New Balance (NJNB.) they are the only distributer that I could find that had adult sizes.

ps. New Balance bought out "Duhnam." Duhnam makes a hybrid Vibram/Abzorb waffle sole all synthetic trail runner .

chknfngrs
12-20-2004, 19:06
you should also try www.finish-line.com which is an online retailer. I bought my 806's for almost 1/2 off b/c they were "last year's" model.

java
12-20-2004, 19:14
....The piece of sole that wraps around in front of the toes came unglued on both pairs within a week of wear, and only frequent applications of superglue kept them from flapping all the way loose (as I saw another hiker's doing)....

Haiku. Did it look something like this?

This is a shot of a thru-hikers shoes, taken in The 100 mile Wilderness this year. I guess they are well-ventilated, and drain very quickly after stream crossings!

bailcor
12-20-2004, 21:32
Sometimes I think NB has lost their minds. They are trying to make a shoe for every individual in the world. I find that a 608 is fine in a standard width but when I buy an 806 I need a EE. The amount of numbers and styles confuses everyone and I think they would be better served in not trying to have a billion styles and put more quality in a fewer number.