PDA

View Full Version : Esbit fuel

geigerny
10-31-2010, 15:41
Anyone know how available Esbit tablets are on the AT. Thanks.

MedicineMan
10-31-2010, 15:47
Sounds like a good 'sticky' article, probably a spreadsheet listing sources of alcohol/Heet, Esbit, etc. and distances from road crossings.
I used alcohol for years and still do occasionally but switched to Esbit this summer. To me its got less fiddle.

10-K
10-31-2010, 16:32
I'm 100% esbit on any hike more than 3 days. It's available all the way up the trail - I put esbit in all my maildrops (4) and could have purchased it anyway.

The only caveat is that when I saw it I only saw a few boxes so it's conceivable that it could be out of stock in a place that normally has it.

geigerny
10-31-2010, 17:59
Thank you both for your info...congrats 10-K on your hike!

swamp dawg
10-31-2010, 19:39
I have used Esbit tablets for years on the AT and haven't had any problems. Most outfitters have a adequate supply during hiking season. The neat thing about the tablets is that you can snuff out and reuse them if a meal does not require a whole tablet. Be sure to have a wind screen to get max heating out of this fuel on windy days.
Life is good on the trail...........swamp dawg

daddytwosticks
11-01-2010, 07:23
Seems like they always have it at the first 3 outfitters down here at the southern end (MtnXings, 3 Eagles, and the NOC). :)

Singto
05-22-2015, 09:28
Is there any updated information about Esbit availability along the AT? Has anyone used this exclusively lately? Thank you.

billnchristy
05-22-2015, 09:51
Are you guys using a round stove with the tablets? I tried out one of the fold out rectangle stoves (About the size of a pack of cigarettes) with a small pan and had to use 2 tablets to get 2 cups of water to even lightly simmer. Probably because I didn't have a wind screen, but I have those little stoves as emergency implements in our cars and daypack so I thought I would try to cook. It made the bag of MH Rice and chicken pretty well, but it took a lot of work to get the water hot.

Walkintom
05-22-2015, 10:12
Are you guys using a round stove with the tablets? I tried out one of the fold out rectangle stoves (About the size of a pack of cigarettes) with a small pan and had to use 2 tablets to get 2 cups of water to even lightly simmer. Probably because I didn't have a wind screen, but I have those little stoves as emergency implements in our cars and daypack so I thought I would try to cook. It made the bag of MH Rice and chicken pretty well, but it took a lot of work to get the water hot.

You definitely need a windscreen or have something else going on. I can usually get 2 cups of water to boil and have enough left over of a tab to sometimes get it done AGAIN. Depending on conditions such as water temp I may need to start a 2nd tab before the 2nd 2 cups of water boil.

fluffkitten
05-22-2015, 10:57

I use the 585 Cook Set a lot and normally only need the one tablet to boil 400ml water. You need to make sure the opening is a way from the wind, and a windscreen can be a big help in some conditions.

Singto
05-22-2015, 11:04
I think a windscreen improves the efficiency of any stove. I have the original (2 folding wings on the sides) stove and the emergency Esbit stove billnchristy is referring to. I'm surprised the wind may have affected that so much, it seems pretty shielded by design. Perhaps the cup is too close to the Esbit tablet? I've not tried either yet but I would prefer to hike the AT with Esbit as long as it isn't a logistics nightmare. I believe it is a much more dependable fuel and can be used to start wood fires too. I've ordered the Alocs alcohol system to test that too. Currently, I am considering Esbit as my main cook stove and not eat a hot meal every day but I do like coffee in the morning. I might also throw in a 4 ounce canister stove (without canister) should I change my mind on the trail. Perfectly good canister stoves can be had for less than $10 shipped but you'll have to procure an appropriate wind screen too. Or, I may like the alcohol system but carry one of the small Esbit emergency stoves with 3 tablets as a back up. All kinds of strategies but with any of them, I think I'll be eating some cold meals from time to time to extend the fuel or just have in case both methods fail. Example: I'd make some wraps out of tortillas, peperoni and cheese and be quite happy with that as my main course for 3 or 4 meals in a row.

billnchristy
05-26-2015, 10:39
I probably should have turned the stove 90 degrees in hindsight.

zelph
05-26-2015, 11:06
The use of a Caldera Cone windscreen/pot support is the best way to go for efficiency. Make your own or purchase one from TrailDesigns.com

Starchild
05-26-2015, 11:29
Are you guys using a round stove with the tablets? I tried out one of the fold out rectangle stoves (About the size of a pack of cigarettes) with a small pan and had to use 2 tablets to get 2 cups of water to even lightly simmer. Probably because I didn't have a wind screen, but I have those little stoves as emergency implements in our cars and daypack so I thought I would try to cook. It made the bag of MH Rice and chicken pretty well, but it took a lot of work to get the water hot. I placed me pot not flat on top of that stove, but with the bottom supported by one side and the side of the pot on the other side of the stove. This allowed the bottom to be closer to the flame and that seemed to help.